Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 03:22 PM   #1  

Angry New To Forum

Hi I am new this forum. I have been considering WLS for a while now. I went through the pretesting and my insurance xompany has approved everything.
Now I received my surgery date and asst appointments before surgery. I will go in October 8th for a laprascopic RUNY.
All of the sudden I am so nervous and filled with doubt. Is this normal?
What if this totally messes up my body even more than it is right now?? Well that may not be possible.
I still have to talk to my bosses about taking the time off of work and I just started working here four months ago.
Any support is appreciated. Thank you for listening.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:18 PM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Kathy welcome to 3fc's

Well, in my opinion, being nervous is very normal. I think we all were. Even in the hospital I thought about getting out of the bed (prior to surgery of course) and going home. I didn't, and I can honestly say.......I'm glad I didn't go home!

I don't know your size, but at my old size, I was miseralbe. My knees hurt, my diabetes and blood pressure were out of control and I felt like I was watching life pass me by.

My knees will hurt every once in a while now, but nothing like they used to. My diabetes, well let's just say my doc calls me a former diabetic and my blood pressure is in the normal range now (still on meds for that, but hope to come off soon.)

Tell us a little about yourself. Married? kids?

I'm 44, married 23 years, 3 kids...two boys 22 years old and 21 on Sunday and one daughter 17.

Once again welcome and post often so we can get to know you.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:31 PM   #3  

Hey Kathy! Welcome!

I think that what you are feeling is perfectly normal. I had surgery one month ago tomorrow and I was really wiggin out. At some point a few days before I did calm down and just wanted the whole thing over with.

good luck to you...keep posting questions or comments or your jittery feelings.

peach
Old 09-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #4  

I know just how you feel! I posted something similar just a few days ago...it's crazy how none of it seems real until you get that phone call saying 'I have a surgery date for you....'

I'll be having my surgery one week after you, so if you hold my hand I'll hold yours, so to speak. We can do this, and we'll be happier for it.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:17 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

kathy.. welcome!!!! and we've all been there. even after we spent a year or more researching and debating and wondering about it.

it's a scary thing, trusting strangers to knock you out cold and rummage around where the good lord had no intention of letting anyone look!!!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 02:21 PM   #6  

Hi thank you for your replies I will tell you about myself
I am 43 years old and the mom to two kids. My daughter is 15 1/2 and my son will soon be 11. I have been married for 20 years to an acive duty Coast Guard member. We have lived in a number of different places. Through this I have learned to be very independant and self reliant.
I am a very spiritual (not religous) person, I draw much strength on my relationship with the Lord.
What really spurred my want to lose this weight is that at the end of 2002 I feel down two stairs and tore the ACL in my knee.
Such a small distance but what a world of pain an frustration.
When the doctor went in to repair my ACL two months later he said there was too much arthritis in my knee to do the repair
So at 265 lbs and 5' 5 I am just carrying too much weight for this body to handle. I am prediabetic and have problems with my thyroid and back.
I think I get most frustrated by the lack of support I get from my family. I told my DH last night that I had my surgery scheduled. All he could do was roll his eyes, look digusted and say you'd better not loose your job He said that he'd "make" me work at Mc Donalds if I did
He asked me why I needed to have the surgery? Why can't you just loose the weight like everyone else? He believes that I am overweight because I sometimes have a cup of snacks while I am watching TV before I go to bed. I am sure this contributes to it but he drinks two cans of Pepsi and about ten cookies before he retires for the night, why doesn't he weigh 100 lbs more???
He had no answer for me there. I also pointed out to him that he has no idea what it is like to be over weight.
I have this black and white tuxedo cat (male ) named Max. He is just the sweetest kitty around. He weighs nearly 30 lbs so he resembles a mini cow of sorts. I love him but he DH thinks he is disgusting He calls him tubby, fat crap etc.... I don't know but this really upsets me for some reason. He nags me about putting the cat on a diet, but I have two other cats, kids, a job, home etc to take care of.
Well I think that I have rambled enough for now. Really I am not the ticking I seem to be
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #7  

Kathy, sweetie, you have found exactly the right place to vent. I love to vent and it is good for you to get all that "stuff" out! It is an excellent skill to learn BEFORE surgery because you are not going to be able to stuff those feelings into your little pouch with food!

GOOD FOR YOU!

As to your dh: I am sorry that he is less then supportive. In fact I think on this topic that he is an idiot. Don't be too offended please, I love my dh and he can be an idiot too. I think it has something to do with testosterone.

Seriously though, it is extremely important for you to find some people that will support you and understand what you are going through. We here will do whatever we can but gee wiz, girl, you need some real life support. Are there support groups through your surgeon?

How do your kids feel about it?

and your poor cat Max! I love black and whites....I have one named Cuddles and I just fed her some ham. She loved it!

hang in there, Kathy!
peach
Closed Thread