Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: April 10 - April 16

Was out and about, at last, without wearing a jacket. It felt like heaven. Like a giant burden was lifted from my shoulders. Clearly, I can't have any problems in life if I get this happy just because of a few degrees of warmth.

DW just learned that the 18 month-old DGD has that 'perfect repeat' ability of small children. When a plastic cup was thrown on the floor, DW whispered, "Oh, Dear." DGD instantly repeated, "Oh, Dear." DW turned red, thinking about all the other things she is want to say that wouldn't be so neat to hear the toddler repeat, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill I seem to remember (from the long ago dim past) a feature in "Reader's Digest" called "out of the mouths of babes" that printed funny anecdotes of little kids repeating things they weren't supposed to have heard.

I think it's parka-washing time this week here. Going to hold back until Easter is over but got my .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We've had some wonderful weather this weekend. Our golf tournament on Friday was exceptional. It's so late in the year it is usually too hot but we had cloud cover all day that kept the heat down. So nice.

Saturday we spent the morning doing errands and then met my in-laws for lunch and when we were all done, headed to our last errand, I realized I'd lost my ring. So sad. I know I had it on going into the restaurant but it was nowhere to be found. I'm contacting my home owner's insurance company today to see if that sort of thing is covered.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Oh dear, Allison. Is it your wedding ring? Rings are such strange things for getting lost and turning up in odd places. In a pocket? My mother found her engagement ring, after several years, in the earth in the greenhouse.

Talking of gardens, I must get out and plant some things I bought at a sale at the weekend. Broad beans, purple-podded peas, two types of garlic and some Egyptian (tree, walking) onions. It's a reasonable day out there.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post

Talking of gardens, I must get out and plant some things I bought at a sale at the weekend. Broad beans, purple-podded peas, two types of garlic and some Egyptian (tree, walking) onions. It's a reasonable day out there.

Do you eat the things you plant Birchie?

Dagmar
Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #6  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Do you eat the things you plant Birchie?
Yes! I have an ongoing battle with slugs and snails + next door's 6 cats but I struggle on with increasingly ingenious ways round things. Each year I learn something new about what works or doesn't work in this particular garden. Last year's successes were runner beans - yet French beans were pretty pathetic - and leeks. Other failures included spring onions (I've never ever managed to grow these) and cavolo nero (Tuscan black kale). Some herbs are quite good outside here: rosemary and lavender, sage. Others are OK indoors: parsley, basil, tarragon (indoors because of slugs). Chives haven't grown properly for about 10 years but before that they were fine.

I could go on (!) but I have to go outside again. I've weeded the raised bed (mostly chickweed which you can eat in salads but there are no takers for it here, strangely) and am about to fork in compost. I'm a bit late but will do it now. My composting system is working very well.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Oh dear, Allison. Is it your wedding ring? Rings are such strange things for getting lost and turning up in odd places. In a pocket? My mother found her engagement ring, after several years, in the earth in the greenhouse.

Thankfully, no. It was a pinky ring DH got for me a year or so ago. It had an emerald cut cubic zirconia in a tension setting which made for difficult sizing. I had it into the jewelers once to add a couple bridges to make it more snug but was thinking I needed to send it in for additional bridges as it was still loose. Apparently, it was looser than I thought. So, sad loss but since it wasn't a real diamond, not horrible--but still expensive due to the amount of gold in it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sorry to hear about your ring, Allison.

I'm back from my cruise and can't find my favorite bracelet, so I'm worried it is lost as well. Not an expensive piece but I wore it most days.

We got back midnight on Sunday and I had to work yesterday. Literally knee deep in books and all. Was running around all day and today won't be an improvement.

Good news while we were gone is younger dd got a teaching job for next year where she wanted (Gilbert, AZ). I offered to come and help her look at apartments, etc. and she wants me to come this weekend. Sigh.... so my bags aren't even unpacked-- no groceries in the house and I will leave work on Friday to go straight to the airport. Dh leaves for China on Saturday so my critters will have to get pet sat again.

My weight is as atrocious as I expected. We snorkeled, hiked and went to the gym almost every day on the cruise, not to mention took the stairs every single time.... Weight was sky high yesterday but "only" up about 7 pounds as of this morning so that is likely the true gain.... or maybe it will still go lower. Regardless, I'm back to calorie counting!

It was our first time taking a 10 day cruise and the cruisers were much more geriatric. We felt quite young and spry! Guess most younger families can't take 10 days off from school/work to cruise.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #9  

I spent 4 consecutive hours out in the garden yesterday. I can't remember when I last had such a long stretch of time to do one activity. This is one of the things I'm looking forward to at retirement - not having to splinter my time into small pieces and constantly have a clock ticking in the back of my head to make sure I stay on schedule.

Dagmar
Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #10  
in development

Four hours is great, Dagmar. I love having long stretches too.