Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #1  

Default First Timer

Hello. This is my first time trying something like this, a "support group." I am hoping that by coming here I can find some motivation to help me in my journey to a new healthier lifestyle.

I've always struggled with my weight and the only thing that helped me lose once before was to basically quit eating except for a small meal in the evening. I know that's not healthy and I put all the weight back on since then.

I have been overweight all my life, and have hit an all time high of 450 pounds. I can't go on like this. I deal with anxiety, depression and chronic pain every day and so I feel like the cycle is never ending. My doctor seems to think most of my issues come from my underactive thyroid, which I'm on medication for. I've been sleeping a lot lately as well to try to keep from dealing with all of it. The only time it doesn't seem to hit me is when I'm at work where I'm constantly distracted, but after about 4-5 hours on my feet, I'm in so much pain that I can't stand it.

My goal here is to find motivation from others, and some tips and pointers for the best ways to overcome food cravings.
ladymcc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:02 AM   #2  

Yeah, don't quit eating, that's no fun. Welcome to the forum! Poke around, and see if any of the boards interest you. Then, hunker down and start making friends!

My recommendation: choose one goal to focus on a month. The benefit of this strategy means you give yourself permission to focus on one thing at a time. At the end of the month, you've 'mastered' (at least in theory) that habit, and you're ready for the next one!
These are cumulative, so you're ADDING one after the other. This kind of layering seems slow in the moment, but can be very effective long term; in six months, you could be more comfortable on your feet and eating more vegetables & protein, which would in turn help you focus on good nutrition and healthy movement! The fat loss that comes as result will just be a nice bonus.

Eg.

Month 1: Eat at least 3 full serving of vegetables a day. Veggies are great - chock full of nutrients, water, fiber, etc. Plus, they help keep you full. I've found that I do better when I can focus on doing something (ie. eating vegetables) rather than NOT doing something (ie. ignoring that donut).

Month 2: Make sure you are eating at least 0.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight every day - for fat loss, aiming as high as 1-2g/kg can be even better for satiety and preserving muscle when you start losing weight. Prioritizing protein does (at least) two things: makes you take a closer look at what's in your food, and helps fill you up with the good stuff so you're too full to eat less nutritious foods.

Month 3: Walk for at least an hour a day - this can be split up into 30min, 20min, or even 10min chunks! Just get walking. Walking is awesome.

Month 4: Brush & floss every day (yeah, I know, not diet related, but we all need a break! plus, gum health is directly related to risk of cardiovascular disease)

Month 5: Limit high carbohydrate options to 3 servings a day - so, potatoes, bread, anything with sugar, etc. One at each meal (or 2 at dinner, none at lunch, etc) doesn't restrict your options too much, but it does make you really choose what you need and what you can sub out with other options. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, apple with peanut butter, beef jerky, etc. are all awesome snack options to try.

Month 6: Eat at least 5 veg a day. Level up from Month 1 - lets you tweak & add to previous success, as well as gives you the opportunity to focus on long-term meal planning & eating habits that will last you a lifetime.

Most important though: Have FUN and Be SAFE! 'Hope to see you around!

Last edited by Defining; 01-21-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #3  

Hi! New here too and getting too old for this so have to make this weight loss stay off! I find it so much easier in milder weather months (live in midwest) when walking is so pleasant. We've had rain here for days so I don't even walk my dogs. [sigh] But I've lost weight before so know we can do this if we support each other -- especially during the tough times.
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote