Old 05-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #1  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Default Requesting your Input on Very Slow Progress

Hi All,

I am reaching out for help.
I just completed my 3rd month, and I am someone that does not weigh often because 1) I like to see big losses 2) I tend to become obsessive compulsive about it so it is best for me this way.

Well, in the 3 months, I have only weighed myself twice. One time at the 2 month mark and now at the 3 month mark. I don't know what I weighed when I started this reboot but I know I felt incredibly better at the 2 month mark than when I started. In month 3, I only lost 2.4 pounds total. In IP, month 3 and 4 were my biggest loss months so I was expecting much more to say the least.
In 3 months of dieting, I have not dropped a size nor am I "swimming" in the same size. Size 18 is currently the appropriate size for me - no change in 3 months.
This has never happened to me before, and I was hoping you could share your collective experience with me to give me some guidance on what to do about it.

Here is additional information (I know this is going to be hard to figure out because I have not isolated variables - I had changed a number of things simultaneously from 2 rounds of IP):
1 - This is my first time doing a truly full ketogenic diet where I fill up my calorie needs with healthy fats and I fast every day for 20-24 hours (I eat once a day as intermittent fasting (skipping meals) is highly recommended on a keto diet).
2 - Month 3 is when I went back to the gym after nearly 2 years away (while doing 2 rounds of IP where I was following clinic's advice of not to workout until after Phase 1). If gym slowed my weight loss in month 3, it did not get reflected in inches lost.
3 - I consumed 800-900 calories a day the 1st 6 weeks and for last 6 weeks have been between 1100-1200 (due to golf season and working out).
4 - I have always been in optimal nutritional ketosis range while on keto diet - considerably more and consistently more than IP.
5 - I have always been pretty resilient in terms of losing weight following a controlled eating program - typical calorie deficit type with working out as well as with ideal protein. This result is new for me.
6 - I love the keto diet and feel this is something that is truly a lifestyle change vs a "temporary" altered eating program. I can say I have truly made this a hobby. I have spent many hours researching and calculating macronutrients and shopping for keto foods - I have put together 4 recipe books for which I have calculated and recorded all the macro info for my meal planning. I am really enjoying what I am eating as well as the hobby.
7 - I feel great! But, I will not accept not losing weight I clearly need to lose!

Can you guys give your input as to what you would do next if in my shoes?
I will weigh myself more frequently so I can now monitor week to week what is happening.
But in addition to this, some options are:
1 - Give up full keto diet and go back to IP
2 - Follow keto but cut dairy out (this would be sad) - I have heard this could be a culprit but because I have always been solidly in optimal nutritiional ketosis, I didn't think this was an issue for me.
2 - Give it more time because maybe working out did cause a slow down
3 - Accept the slow progress (2.4 pounds lost in a month with a need to lose 40-50 still (a side note - this is a very realistic goal weight - same as goal weight I achieved with IP)
4 - Get medical testing or some other sort of testing like a renewed BMR/AMR
5 - Get a coach to measure inches each month (I like to do things on my own, particularly reinforced after the awful experiences with the IP coaching so this I would do grudgingly if you think I should)
- Other?

Thanks for reading this long thread and any advice you have given the info I have shared with you.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

IP gives an avearge loss of 2-3 pounds per week/10 per month. As you know it is very controlled and very restrictive but it works well and quickly. Why not follow it to get the losses you want, then look at a keto lifestyle for maintennce if you want. Clearly the keto you are doing now is a slow process and you know IP will give you quicker reaults which will help your motivations and lessen the timeframe for getting to goal.

Join us on the FB group Ideal Protein Alternatives 13,500 members - look for the picture of veggies on top). We follow IP protocol but use researched alternatives and do the plan without a coach, lots of knowledge and support here and there!

Last edited by JLUS; 05-28-2016 at 05:49 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #3  
IP start 4/4/16

S/C/G: 280/235/199.9

Height: 5ft6in

Keto info is going to be hard to get feedback on here as IP doesn't count macros like keto would.

Is 168 in your stats your current weight?

I know another forum you could ask but I think it's against the rules here to refer you.

Following the rules of IP is easiest for me to not obsess the data and just watch the scale move no matter how slow.
CarrotsAreMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Ro it’s good to see you back, although I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling.
I’m probably not the best person to give you advice on your current situation, since IP worked well for me, and I followed it through to the end with only minor tweaking (adding in some alternates, upping fat a bit), and just following their general guidelines in maintenance, which is also working well.
Hopefully there will be some other more knowledgeable people who can offer some insight for you.

If I am remembering correctly, you did fairly well following IP, except for that last stretch where you seemed to hit a bad stall. Was that about the time you got so heavily involved with the political race too? Could be all that stress had a big impact?

I know you’ve put a lot of thought into switching to a ketogenic diet, and I have to admit to my lack of knowledge in that area, although I do have to say even through my losing phase on IP and now in maintenance, my fat level is probably higher than recommended, and I find eating much easier, and I’m doing well, so a bit higher fat for me, at least, seems to be good. I can see the appeal!

In any case, if you’ve been following this for 3 months with no appreciable loss, imho, there’s something that isn’t working. From what little I know and what you’ve said, it sounds like it should. No matter, if it’s not working, then maybe a change is needed.

One of my first thoughts is always to check for any problems, a good medical checkup to eliminate any possible problems.

I’ve tried lots of diets over the years (haven’t we all??) and IP is the one that worked for me. Since it worked for you too before, maybe go back to it for a couple of months, see how your body responds, ( I know, it’s a big pain to have to go back to P1)….if the weight comes off, you can always go to the LCHF type of diet for maintenance, you seem to be able to maintain on it, and the food choices suit your lifestyle.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck, and remember there are people here who are happy to offer support and encouragement.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #5  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey Ro, I just sent you a PM. Losing the second time around is HARD, no matter what route you take, but those losses are quite low for what you should expect on a keto diet. Hoping you can find something that works.
pishposhappelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Hey Ro! I don't know a lot about the diet you are on but my guess is your working out. My IP coach has gotten on me about working out while in ketosis. She keeps telling me you can't be in a catabolic and anabolic state at the same time and that I won't lose in P1 if I am also trying to build muscle. I hate it when she's right.

Maybe take a break from working out for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!

Last edited by CenTXChk; 05-29-2016 at 11:23 PM.
CenTXChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Hi Ro! I have bounced back and forth from IP to trying other Keto adapted diets and have found the same result of slow or stalled lossed. It could be the increased fat content that is just not getting digested properly (although you do feel good!). I am back on day 2 of IP and hoping to see the losses I did the first time around. Not losing is so tough mentally when you are putting in the work! I have also tried IF and found no result...it sucks.
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #8  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Blue - You are correct to cite working on the presidential campaign. But, the schedule of running my own business and working on the campaign is what caused me to gain the weight from December to when I started back the first week of March. So, the crazy schedule is what caused the weight gain as I was on the road all the time with no planning, access to microwave, etc. However, I have been very controlled and have counted and tracked everything since I started at the beginning of March so unfortunately, that is not the cause of the slow loss in Month 3. And, doing intermittent fasting of eating just once a day fit my schedule quite well as I wouldn't have to worry about access to microwave, etc while on the road and could wait until I got back to my hotel in the evenings to eat.

CTC - I think you are right about the working out. I know I lost weight in the first 2 months (just don't know how much as I didn't weigh) but it was month 3 when I realized my results are not what I was expecting (and then confirmed when I weighed Saturday), which coincided with working out. I have stopped working out for now.

For the others that have cited returning to IP, I made a very deliberate decision not to reboot on IP because of hormone issues and Vitamin D issues I had which I had shared extensively about as well as wanting a program that was not a dramatic difference between weight loss phase and maintenance phase. So, I decided to increase my fat intake to ensure my body was absorbing Vitamin D which my doctor told me I needed fat for and we concluded a couple of teaspoons of olive oil a day was not sufficient enough. So, I decided that a good compromise is a full keto diet as IP is a ketogenic diet. So, the only difference I see in the macros is the percent of calories that come from fat between the 2. I consume the same carbs (< 20 total) and same protein (~ 80 grams).

Also, I am not on any social media.

Unfortunately, I have not found any local keto coaches so I may try an online one. But, I will try CTC's idea of sustaining the workouts and see where that gets me.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Ro22 I was able to maintain my weight for almost a year by doing a keto diet. Once I get to goal and phase off of IP, I think keto is the way to go for me. I will never be able to eat carbs like a "normal" person again, they are my enemy!!
You sound like you are on the right track!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Ro - I researched the keto diet and from everything I've seen, 3 pounds per month isn't unusual.

I get not using social media, but have you joined any groups like 3FC that are geared towards keto / low carb?
Google 'active low carb forum' - there is a wide variety of dieters there, from Atkins to South Beach, & I believe keto - there is also tons of information on intermittent fasting.

Fwiw - with the additional exercise, I don't believe fasting is going to work. Lots of people successfully work out and eat keto - but very few only eat once a day (from what I've read - there are hundreds of articles, etc...). Some dwindle down to twice a day, eventually, after their bodies fat-adapt.

Also, if you haven't already, try 'ketogains.com'
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #11  
One Step Closer

S/C/G: 338/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Hi Ro, I'm not familiar with IP, but I was on Keto-diet for about 7 months last year, and lost the anywhere between 7-12lbs a month, sometimes I would lose 7 or maybe less even, then 12 then next etc. etc. depending on how on point I was (granted I was a lot heavier than you are). This is just some of my thoughts on the subject.

1 - This is my first time doing a truly full ketogenic diet where I fill up my calorie needs with healthy fats and I fast every day for 20-24 hours (I eat once a day as intermittent fasting (skipping meals) is highly recommended on a keto diet). - I did the same, but usually I only skipped lunch. Maybe try eating small amounts throughout the day or skipping one meal.
2 - Month 3 is when I went back to the gym after nearly 2 years away (while doing 2 rounds of IP where I was following clinic's advice of not to workout until after Phase 1). If gym slowed my weight loss in month 3, it did not get reflected in inches lost. I hardly worked out on a ketogenic diet besides an occasional walk but that's because I'm lazy. This has never slowed down my weight loss and walking for an hour sometimes kicked me out of stalls. There are also bodybuilders who work out on a ketogenic diet by carb cycling, re-filling their glycogen stores then doing depletion work outs. You can probably find more information about that from the bodybuilding forum. Refeeds (high carb, low fat) occasionally every few weeks or month will also boost your leptin levels and lower your cortisol levels (since you workout and are at a deficit along with normal stress, your body might just need a little break every now and then). The amount of water you drink also effect your weight loss effort. If you're hitting the gym hard, water weight could just be hiding some of your weight loss.
3 - I consumed 800-900 calories a day the 1st 6 weeks and for last 6 weeks have been between 1100-1200 (due to golf season and working out). Just judging from your height, your calories seem a little low to me. Even if you are full, you still need to shoot for a safe deficit. The more restrictive the deficit, the less linear the weight loss. Maybe boost them a bit for a week and see if that gets the ball back rolling.
4 - I have always been in optimal nutritional ketosis range while on keto diet - considerably more and consistently more than IP. This is great.
5 - I have always been pretty resilient in terms of losing weight following a controlled eating program - typical calorie deficit type with working out as well as with ideal protein. This result is new for me. It might also be slower because you're starting to get closer to a normal weight range for your height? But considering you said your range was around 120, this probably isn't it, but it's just a thought.
6 - I love the keto diet and feel this is something that is truly a lifestyle change vs a "temporary" altered eating program. I can say I have truly made this a hobby. I have spent many hours researching and calculating macronutrients and shopping for keto foods - I have put together 4 recipe books for which I have calculated and recorded all the macro info for my meal planning. I am really enjoying what I am eating as well as the hobby. If you enjoy it and plan to stick to it, the weight loss will eventually come along and your journey won't be as hard doing something you like.

1 - Give up full keto diet and go back to IP? It depends if you want a slower weight loss but feel happy with your eating plan or would you want to lose weight faster? Or, you can always switch to IP temporarily to lose weight then maintain with keto when you reach goal. Personally, I'd probably switch.Then go back to ketosis for maintenance.
2 - Follow keto but cut dairy out (this would be sad) - I have heard this could be a culprit but because I have always been solidly in optimal nutritional ketosis, I didn't think this was an issue for me. Cut dairy out for a week and see if that's it. Artificial sugar can also be a culprit for some people, or food allergies.
2 - Give it more time because maybe working out did cause a slow down I would say go the trial and error route first since you seem really happy with the diet, minus the weight loss issue, if not then switch if you still want to lose faster.
3 - Accept the slow progress (2.4 pounds lost in a month with a need to lose 40-50 still (a side note - this is a very realistic goal weight - same as goal weight I achieved with IP)
4 - Get medical testing or some other sort of testing like a renewed BMR/AMR? If this is reasonable for you, it shouldn't hurt.
5 - Get a coach to measure inches each month (I like to do things on my own, particularly reinforced after the awful experiences with the IP coaching so this I would do grudgingly if you think I should) Try measuring success by how well your clothes fit instead of inches or how healthy and energized you feel instead of the scale number.

I wish you good luck!

Last edited by MatchaPocky; 06-01-2016 at 10:12 AM.
MatchaPocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hey, Ro... good to hear from you again. I am a member on MFP Lo-Carb Hi-Fat Keto group as my fat macros are pretty high compared to norm (although I am not under 20g carb as some are). One thing I did notice is that it is not unusual for the body to actually gain a bit over 6 months until totally keto adapted. It doesn't always come that quickly, pounds lost that is, but since you are feeling good and other health markers are good (from what I understand) I would certainly stick with it! What really counts is how your body feels, not what size you are. I know it's easy to say and hard to put into practice, but as long as you are not feeling deprived and your health markers are good, keep it up.
You can ask to join the same group which has a myriad of multi-year successful keto/lo-carb aficionados. There is some great advice and serious science cred. with amazing links to legit studies and the latest research in their posts. Here's the link to the community, but you have to join MFP first (it's free).
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en...-the-lcd-group

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #13  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

MatchaPocky
Thank you so much for the elaborate response. You gave me a few ideas and I really appreciate it and will pay it forward based upon what adjustments I find work/don't work.

Thanks again! Godspeed on your weight loss journey!!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #14  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyc14 View Post
Ro22 I was able to maintain my weight for almost a year by doing a keto diet. Once I get to goal and phase off of IP, I think keto is the way to go for me. I will never be able to eat carbs like a "normal" person again, they are my enemy!!
You sound like you are on the right track!
Thanks for the encouragement, Kelly. Wishing you light speed on the IP phase of your journey!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #15  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Beth and Liana,

Thanks for the links...I will check them out. I tried finding online groups but I found the same inactivity in them as with the 2014 IP starters thread that is here.
I have done what I thought was a lot of research, but I did not come across mentions of slow losses as the norm. I know about being keto-adapted possibly taking months but because I have consistently been in optimal nutritional ketosis, I assumed that I adapted quite nicely, especially because of 2 stints on IP.

I will check out the fitness pal forum. Clearly, my thinking is off on this. I thought that if I create a calorie deficit and stay in fat burn mode for 18 hours or so a day, it would be a super-enhanced version of IP while no hormone/Vitamin D issues and while eating whole foods so no need for a dramatic transition from weight loss phase to maintenance phase, which has always been my nemesis.

I am really conflicted because I love the program I am following - just not the results. And, I know I should put a greater emphasis on how I feel, but boy was it great to be a size 8!!!

I have got a couple of things to try now so thank you so much. I am going to measure my progress to see where I land after this month with the tweaks I make. If I don't see a 10-15 pound loss, I am going to go back to IP for the weight loss phase. I have at least taught myself that I can maintain on a keto diet.