General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #1  
Student and Weight Loser

S/C/G: 218/214.6/170

Height: 5"1.5"

Default HELP!!!!!! I NEED a diet plan that is NOT low-carb

So I ordered a whole month of Wonderslim's Core plan diet food thinking that I would have the willpower to stay on a low-carb diet this time. Just like when I tried Atkins, I just can't do it, and I thought I could. It is day I and I'm already sitting in my car with a migraine waiting for me partner to be done with work and I feel like I'm gonna vomit. I'm done with all of these fad low-carb diets that make me feel so ill. I need a weight loss diet/plan that isn't low carb. Regular or even High carb/high fiber would be great.
Any ideas?
I'm currently considering weight watchers, slimming world, or the carb-lovers diet.

Last edited by jensmarty; 01-29-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Wrong title
jensmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #2  

Well, how long do the headaches last? Could just be you need to push through until your body gets over the withdrawal symptoms.

But the easiest 'diet' I know of is just general guidelines for what to eat:

At least 2L water/day
1-2 servings (size of your first) of vegetables every meal
1 serving protein (size of your palm) every meal
1 serving of carbs (size of handful) if you're still hungry after veg and protein

Either veg and/or protein for morning/afternoon/evening snacks, as appropriate according to hunger levels.

And no calorific drinks. (ie. No soda or juice, minimal milk in coffee but no sugar, etc.)

Aiming for 5-8 servings of veg a day, and 1-2 servings of fruit. 3-4 servings of protein help keep you full and help reduce muscle loss while cutting weight. And carbs are still 'permitted', you're just prioritising the more nutrient dense foods first.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Defining; 01-29-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:12 AM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

The secret to carbs is that not all carbs are born equal.

If your idea of carbs are processed ones like white rice, pasta, sugar, bread and candy then good luck.

But if you can live with un-processed or less processed ones like fresh fruit, dried fruit, oats or oatmeal and the like then go for it.

I love my dried fruit. And steel-cut oats (but I had to give that up due to gas)!

Last edited by IanG; 01-30-2016 at 12:16 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #4  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

You may want to configure your own plan and base it on the way you like to eat and the healthy foods you already know you enjoy. You'll probably even end up branching out and adding things to your repertoire.

I can't/won't do the low carb thing either. Most of the foods that a lot of those plans focus on are just things I've always eaten in very limited amounts. The problems to me about someone else's plan:

1. I don't always feel like eating when a plan tells me I'm supposed to eat.
2. I don't like being told what I can't have or what I must have at each meal.
3. I don't enjoy feeling like crap.
4. Other plans always say they have a "maintenance" phase - but I have no intention of spending the rest of my life abiding by someone elses diet rules.

Every single one of us here is intelligent. We can use the computer to look up the nutritional value of food as easily as we log in to this site. It's really easy to start finding healthier alternatives to your current favorites - or even healthier ways to make the same thing. And you'll find your taste buds changing. You can make pretty easy little tweaks to the way like to eat now that makes it not feel like a "diet" - you're just eating in a way that nutritionally sustains your body at a healthy weight. You learn that you can have a cookie or a couple french fries every now and then.

It can take a couple months to tweak what works for you. I've figured out a level of net carbs that I can consume each day and still lose. I've figured out how much protein I need each day to keep me satisfied. I use a tracker website to keep track of what I'm doing and I'm brutally honest with what I log. I kinda treat myself like my own science experiment though - I evaluate the numbers but don't use them to beat myself up. It just helps me understand what my body likes.

I think creating your own plan is as much about the journey as it is about the destination. It's about learning what you like, what works for your body and when/why you've eaten the unhealthy stuff to excess.

Best of luck in finding what works for you!

Last edited by Vickie Chickie; 01-30-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #5  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Also, I agree with Ian that all carbs aren't created equal. And they're addictive little buggers.

If there are certain carbs that are really problematic for you, you may need to steer clear of them for a while until you're feeling a bit more in control. Then test the waters to see if you can handle having just a bite or two. Feel free to use every mindgame in the book to help your selfcontrol. Mine is containers
The cookies are wrapped in a ziplock bag in the back of a drawer. When I decide to have a treat I get out the bag, put a serving on a nice plate (this is an event dammit! no paper towels or carrying it around in my hand). I rebag the cookies and put them back in the drawer. Then I take my tea and cookie to another room and sit down.

I know where the cookies are if I really wanted more - but I want having a cookie with my tea to be special. I don't want to binge and not enjoy it. Almost always, I'm perfectly happy with my single serving.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #6  
TVC15

S/C/G: 154.6/154.6/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Chickie View Post
Also, I agree with Ian that all carbs aren't created equal. And they're addictive little buggers.

If there are certain carbs that are really problematic for you, you may need to steer clear of them for a while until you're feeling a bit more in control. Then test the waters to see if you can handle having just a bite or two. Feel free to use every mindgame in the book to help your selfcontrol. Mine is containers
The cookies are wrapped in a ziplock bag in the back of a drawer. When I decide to have a treat I get out the bag, put a serving on a nice plate (this is an event dammit! no paper towels or carrying it around in my hand). I rebag the cookies and put them back in the drawer. Then I take my tea and cookie to another room and sit down.

I know where the cookies are if I really wanted more - but I want having a cookie with my tea to be special. I don't want to binge and not enjoy it. Almost always, I'm perfectly happy with my single serving.
I LOVE this idea. It's brilliant.

I did something similar with a package of chocolate chip cookies--I divided them into servings. I put them in sandwich bags (2 at a time). Now, when I'm hungry, instead of facing an entire sleeve of cookies, I can just grab a "pack" of 2, and I don't feel as tempted to overeat them.

I always keep some kind of cookies or chocolate around in SMALL servings, because I couldn't sustain my own plan if I didn't get to enjoy at least a little bit every day. And I have been consistently losing.
thinwhiteduchess is offline   Reply With Quote