General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default The Hunger Mood

An interesting article that examines the role of hunger from a psychological standpoint.
https://aeon.co/essays/hunger-is-psychological-and-dieting-only-makes-it-worse
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #2  

Wow - 200 views and no one has made any comment? (except for the ones under the IE thread, which is understandable)

I hope that many people actually read the article. He makes some excellent points. I wonder, however, just how many carbs he actually ate per day. He states that he cut his carb intake by 90% and was "nowhere near a low-carb diet." (his words, not mine) Which, if that's true, tells me he must have been eating a HECK of a lot of carbs before he decreased it so dramatically.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #3  
TVC15

S/C/G: 154.6/154.6/130

Height: 5'8

I suppose the article explains why I am more successful with my diet this time--I'm approaching the idea of "changing what I eat" rather than "restricting what I eat." I am eating far less but don't feel as hungry, because I look at my food journal and see three full meals a day, with multiple items.

I notice that I start to feel "hungry" when I am trapped doing work. My brain looks for distractions, and usually the idea of a snack is perfect. I have been doing great with my diet the past five days, but I've been snowed in. Today I am finally back to work, and suddenly I feel hungry for no reason. It's because I'm trapped doing a task I hate and would rather eat something and put off the task than power through finish it.

This article is at least great at calling out how your own mind can manipulate you.
thinwhiteduchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #4  

A 'low carb' diet is typically under 100g. He likely was calculating his macronutrients differently, or it could be hyperbole.

Last edited by Defining; 01-25-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote