Old 09-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Default Anyone on IP for 1 year+?

I had lost 103 pounds with doctors supervision while on IP. I had a lot of problems after about 16 months on the program regarding how my medications worked. I have now learned from several medical sources (neurologist, psychiatrist, rheumatologist) that due to being on a low carb, low fat, low calorie regime for so long caused a severe depletion of healthy fats, which are needed for the brain-blood barrier and how your hormones and medications are utilized.

Unfortunately for me, the one medication I was using for fibromyalgia pain (which worked perfectly for 5 years) started to cause depression - which I didn't recognize - and then went to severe depression with uncontrollable binge eating on anything with fat and sugar then to being suicidal (with the continued binge eating).

I am not saying this will happen to anyone else - don't think i am bashing IP. I loved the program and was delighted with the results. I am just curious if anyone else that has been on it for a long time has noticed issues with out of the blue carb craving or depression.

I want very much to start with an IP alternative regime soon. I also know know what I have to do in regards for mental/physical health, and that for me in particular, I have to have more healthy fat (olive oil, walnut oil etc) than what the program allows.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #2  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

HERE! I am going on 12.8 months now.

I just had blood drawn today, and should get results in a few days.

In early June I had a full blood workup and it was my best in 2 decades.

Just one note that I am not on FULL IP Phase 1 anymore ... I have been eating more sugary and carby vegetables since April (Carrots, Green Beans, Zuchini, Onions) and also eating up to 3 to 5 restricteds per day ... and my total calories has been more in the 1200 to 1600 range (maybe even higher some days).

I have been taking 1-2 tbsp of Olive Oil per day ... along with high Omega 3 Krill Oil.

In terms of "out of the blue carb craving" I think everyone experiences that when on a low carb diet.

In terms of depression ... gosh maybe from time to time ... eating bad food is "fun" (at least it is for me) ... and months and months of "healthy/restricted" eating can at times feel a bit .. (what's the word) ... mundane, dull, and boring.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-21-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

Everyone's body is different and will react differently to deprivation of certain foods. One person still around (Ro22 I think) ran into major health issues including Vitamin D deficiency from the lack of fats.

Today makes 2 years and 1 day since I started IP. I was 100% for the first few months, but as I learned more about long term low carb AND low fat dieting I made the decision to modify a bit so that I had a better chance of getting to goal while still being healthy.

1) I allow myself a bit more fat than IP calls for. I eat whole eggs instead of just whites, use limited amounts of regular (but sugar free) salad dressing, and eat cheese occasionally when dining out. I average around 200 calories a day from fat instead of the 80 IP is designed with.

2) I often eat 2-3 oz whole protein for lunch instead of a packet.

3) I take a 2 week break from P1 roughly every 3 months. Ketosis is the body's biological back up plan for when enough food wasn't around. In order for it to remain an efficient way to burn fat, the body needs to know that a "regular" form of eating will return someday.

My method has absolutely slowed my weight loss from what it could be on IP, but I find it very livable and after 2 years, I don't care if it takes another 2 to get to goal.
Wahoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #4  

I did stay on IP for almost exactly one year, but about 8 months into it had to add things like extra bars, extra oil, etc. - per my doctor and coach's advice and oversight.
The last two months was for sure the hardest, and the last month, to be honest, was agony.
I had to adjust my thyroid meds on and off throughout.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote