General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #1  

Default Is there a diet w/ a lot of support that doesn't cost an arm and leg?

I am at point where I have acknowledged the fact that I cannot diet on w/o some assistance. I get side tracked, depressed, self-indulgent etc so I cheat. My friends are mostly around size 2. The ones who are overweight are overweight due to medications. In other words I have no support. Out of curiosity I went to see what the medifast office has to offer, it sounds like what I need, but the price is steep not including the food ($1400 not including food). Are there other programs out there that offer counseling and accountability that don't cost an arm an a leg? I did weight watchers and the meetings were not for me. I am not looking for just prepackaged diet plans only.
1961tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 6"

You can purchase Medifast online (Wonderslim is much less expensive and tastes better in my opinion) and won't have to pay $1400. Just pay for the food and then consider an Overeaters Anonymous (OA) meeting--they are free--for accountability and support. Check online for meetings in your area.

Last edited by buckeyegal; 08-23-2015 at 10:02 PM.
buckeyegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Depending on the plan you would choose, Weight Watchers, would run from $60 or so for full benifits, and cheaper from there.

$40 or so will get you meetings, an online chat coach, access to their website, and best of all, you do not have to buy any special food.

You also get with meetings the support of all of us who have been there, done that, many of us more than once! The online support, also, people who have been in your shoes.

While WW does have food products, you are not obligated to purchase.

WW is a life style, long term, not a quick fix. It might take a little longer, but, lends itself to more healthy choices, instead of the right NOW.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

TOPS is very affordable. $22 per year (as of a couple years ago), plus monthly dues ($2-$5 in most groups), and many groups run contests where you can win small amounts of money.

You can follow any diet you like, and the weekly weigh-ins and meetings are helpful, but you have to keep in mind that this is essentially a club, so it's not the place to get reliable or consistent medical or nutritional information.

Also, every group runs itself, so you may find that you love one group, but hate another, so if you can, it pays to try a few groups before deciding which if any you feel comfortable in.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

Check your doctor's office or insurance plan to see if there are any programs that will be covered. Or ask your primary care provider. Maybe even just a regular check in with a provider will be helpful.
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/241/190

Height: 5'9

1961 Tracy,

Check out Metabolic Research Center. They have their own thread on this site. The initial costs runs from $79.00 to $179.00 depending on how many weeks and which plan you choose. After that you do have to buy protein drinks, but you eat real food and the costs of the protein is stretched out over time. I found it really affordable compared to some other plans and you get one on one counseling anytime you need it. You generally weigh in 2 times per week, but if you are having a rough time, you can call, email or stop in at any time with questions or if you just need some encouragement. We have a great center with great staff where I go.

Good Luck! I hope you find something that works for you and your budget.
llarends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/300/140

Height: 5,4

Trim Healthy Mama is a really awesome, totally doable diet with a huge online community of supporters. If you're on Facebook, there are hundreds of private groups you can join with women from everywhere that will support and encourage you, as well as answer all your questions. Best of all, it's free to join the groups. Just do a Facebook search for Trim Healthy Mama and a group should pop right up. The initial start up cost of Trim Healthy Mama is around $10 - $30 depending on which book you want to get. (There's a more simple, general book that is $10 and a longer, more detailed book with recipes for $30. I've heard the cheaper book is easier to read.)
shrinkinglindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #8  

T.O.P.S Lots of support very low cost.
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #9  

My fitness pal is FREE and they have really good online support and message boards.
mollyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #10  

How about free - great food you can get in your local grocery store, tons of support, hundreds of recipes and you will also learn how different foods actually affect your body. Go to www.Whole30.com. The program is for 30 days and we can do anything for 30 days. After that you will add back the foods you were eating - dessert anyone? - over the next 10 days. I chose to continue on after losing 11 pounds on my first Whole30 and that isn't easy to do for me since I am 74 years young. They do have a daily paid newsletter for $15 for the 30 days which is worth at least 3 times that much but it is not necessary to purchase it. I'd be glad to support you if you decide to try, just PM me. There is no measuring of food, counting calories or points, almost forgot to mention that!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 10-04-2015 at 09:29 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #11  

1961Tracy, I'm right there with you! I too think I need some external support. Programs that I've tried before that offer some support are WW and Medifast. I think both programs can work its just a matter of finding the right fit.

I'm considering looking into a nutritionist.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. I'm interested in what others suggest.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #12  

QuilterInVA - I'm also doing Whole30 right now, day 5 Feeling great and so happy I'm doing this!
Weightever is offline   Reply With Quote