Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

Default Hair loss after WLS

Hello! I am three months post gastric sleeve surgery. My hair is starting to come out in clumps every time I wash it. From what I understand this is to be expected in some cases (of course it happens to me). I also understand it will grow back eventually (I really hope and pray it comes back). Has anyone else had this problem? and if so, how long did it last? what vitamins or how much more protein should I take to stop it? ANY advice or tips will help! Thank you!
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

Telegenic effluvium is very common after surgery. It usually starts at month three and can last up to month twelve. Some people swear by Biotin supplements, but recognize that Biotin encourages all hair growth, not just what is on your head. Most folks, like myself, notice that when the hair grows back, it comes in thicker and curly. You really just have to wait it out and get a good camouflaging haircut.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

I went through the same thing, starting at about month four or five. It lasted several months, but now my hair has grown back just a thick as ever.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

Thanks a lot everyone, I will definitely buy some biotin. It's only noticeable to me so far, unless I point it out. I hope it stops before its too bad. I don't need anymore problems.
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #5  

Default Hair loss after surgery

My one side of effect from my sleeve surgery has been hair loss. I was first worried. I am now 5 month out from surgery, and have notice is getting better.
Having a perm done two months after surgery probably....well I know was not my best decision. Had broken hair from the perm plus it may have made the hair loss worse. But I'm glad to see less hair in my hair brush after showering now days.
ambytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

My doctor said, and this was 10 years ago, do not waste your money on anything that promises your hair to grow, take a good vitamin, some Omega 3's and wait it out. He promised it would come back, and it did. Patients is the key. When I was able to eat "normal" red meats seem to help with my hair, no lie. I believe its the b12. A few years ago I decided to go on a no red meat diet and guess what happened... I lost a lot of hair. I put it back into my diet 1-2 times a week... NOT huge portions and my hair stopped falling out.

So thats MY story and I'm sticking to it LOLOL Good luck !!!

Last edited by Leenie; 09-19-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote