Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/226.4/150

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Real Talk: Finding the Motivation to work on yourself while going through grief.

Good Afternoon everyone!

So right after I had returned to 3FC, deciding to recommit to working out and getting back on the healthy life path, I suffered a major setback. On July 3rd, my grandmother, who I was extremely close to, passed away. It was not a shock, as she had been experiencing health issues for the majority of my life, but I was not prepared for her to leave this world.

My grandmother expressed nothing but support and love to me. She was one of my many examples of strong women, of not giving up on your dreams/ambitions, of living authentically to yourself, and loving unabashedly. Saying goodbye to her shook me, and even now, a month later, I am still very sad and often cry when thinking of her.

The first half of the past month, I rarely ate. I have not really gone grocery shopping, and when I have bought food, it has been comfort food. Until a half-hour ago, the only physical activity I experienced was work related (I work for the facilities department of a University). I was in a very low place, and if it weren't for the support of my family and coworkers, I very well could have fallen into a deep depression.

One of the reasons I am sharing this with you all is the realization I had about my actions, and the belief I hold that if I can experience an event and emotions, than so can others. Talking about the loss of my grandmother has helped me stay afloat, finally to the point where I have been able to pull my life back together and suit up for a workout for the first time in over a month. I wanted to let others know, who may be in a similar place, it is possible to get back your motivation after losing someone or something very important.

Here at 3FC we have a community, a very supportive community. We can do anything we set our minds to, and the process is easier when we support each other through our hardships.We've got this!
Davikatl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #2  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I'm so glad to hear that you're on the mend after a tragedy in your life.

It's always tough to lose a loved one, and all notions of losing weight definitely fly out the window in my experience. I find that you need to do what you have to do to get through it, if that means eating junk and not exercising then so be it. Sure, it's probably best that you don't do that, but when you're grieving who cares?!

I always find it a comfort knowing that the ones I've lost during my weight loss journey will want me to carry on, they'll want to see me achieve my goal and be happy. A lyric that always helped me was "I find my strength believing that their soul lives on, until the end of time I'll carry it with me."
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote