Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #1  

Default Unpopular foods you like and popular foods you dislike?

I understand it may vary in every culture, but what are some foods that you enjoy. That people around you don't like at all?
Mine include -
PRUNES - they are actually pretty high in sugar, I just love the flavor. I don't hate prune juice. THis all wrecks havoc on my bathroom activities. I can't be trusted around cherry flavored prunes.
Eggwhites - I love eggwhite omelettes with ketchup. I don't know if I would like it now, but I used to like ketchup with white rice
Tripe - The texture, but only if there is sauce
FAT/skin - You know that lining of fat on a ribeye bone? I also just loved wings cause I love the skin. I don't just love fat because it enhances flavor. I love the texture.
Bland carbs - whole wheat bread/oatmeal - only the really good crusty stuff - somehow I love it more than sugary foods, I find that the blander it is, the more I can eat. Somehow really sugary stuff makes my brain go "ok I really recognize this flavor and its strong, you've had enough" but bland stuff raises my blood sugar and I like the texture of a crusty loaf.
White chocolate
DISLIKE
Any Mediterranean food I have tried - saying the "tried" part because this is anecdotal. I haven't tried the foods in the actual countries, but I get some pretty good versions here in NYC and its just not my thing - thus far. I know that that this is super broad, but its really any dish in that category.
Pulled pork - it is too pulled.
Asian desserts - seems to be really in. But green tea is not my idea of tempting dessert, or anything.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #2  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

S/C/G: 187.4/164/140

Height: 5' 3"

I like to put salt and pepper and HP Sauce on my french toast - which horrifies all the maple syrup lovers around me.

Sushi - geeeezz.. cook that fish will ya? and everyone around me raves about Sushi and eats it by the boatload.

Red Velvet "things" cakes, cookies, cupcakes... I taste a bitter food colouring taste off it.

Love the skin off turkey, or chicken.. could eat a plate full... and the fatty part off of prime rib. yum

Last edited by CheesecakeBrownie; 07-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.
CheesecakeBrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesecakeBrownie View Post
I like to put salt and pepper and HP Sauce on my french toast - which horrifies all the maple syrup lovers around me.

Sushi - geeeezz.. cook that fish will ya? and everyone around me raves about Sushi and eats it by the boatload.

Red Velvet "things" cakes, cookies, cupcakes... I taste a bitter food colouring taste off it.

Love the skin off turkey, or chicken.. could eat a plate full... and the fatty part off of prime rib. yum
Sushi! I like it enough, but to be honest, I don't want to pay that type of price unless I LOVE a food.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I use to put Crystal Hot Sauce on dang near everything. A snack would be crystal hot sauce on ritz crackers, just as an example.

I also only like hamburgers if they're from either Krystal (the mini ones) or McDonalds.. neither of which taste like hamburger to me, and neither of which are any sort of good for you, lol.

Editted to add olives to my like list. I'm not talking like, olive stuffed with pimento or cheese. I'm talking straight olives. We grew up with a bowl of black olives on the table for family feasts. It's not uncommon for people in my family to just eat them plain like that. I love putting them on my salad now.

Dislikes I tend to have a lot of odd ones. Some are good to not like, some not so much.

Beef (mostly) - I don't like steak, most ground beef products, brisket or beef ribs.

Pork - I dislike bacon, ham, and sausages. Pork ribs, chops, pulled pork, and tenderloin I do like though.

Most Fish - Most fish has a "fishy" taste to me.. and that's the part I dislike. There are some instances I've had fish I liked, but so far anything that's been home cooked had that fishy taste. I do love me some shellfish though!

French Fries

Potato Chips

Nuts - All sorts of nuts. I've never tried one I liked if it wasn't in creamy form. I like creamy peanut butter, and hazelnut spread (even the stuff without a bunch of added sugar).. but eating the actual nuts I dislike.

Small seeded berries - I like the taste, but not the texture. If I can blend them and put them through a strainer to get the seeds out then I love them. So definitely a texture thing. These include raspberries and strawberries.

Last edited by sunarie; 07-02-2015 at 01:24 PM.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #5  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Like:
-Ketchup on eggs. Don't judge me!
-I also like prunes, but can't eat them due to the digestive distress
-Plain oatmeal made with water, not milk
-Zucchini. I know plenty of others like it too but I hear a lot of gripes!

Dislikes:
-I also dislike sushi and red velvet things
-Donuts. YUCK to all fried dough.
-Breakfast burritos.
-Fish
-Acorn squash
-Avocado. I do like the taste and in some forms (guac) and moderate amounts, but too much and the texture kills me
-Sweet tea
-American cheese
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Things I like that it seems like a lot of people dislike:
- Olives
- Sardines
- Strong cheeses
- Tabasco sauce on my hash browns
- Black licorice

Things I dislike that most people seem to like:
-Chicken. Dirty disgusting little birds. I have to pretty much coat them in something in order to be able to eat them. I don't think they taste good, and I don't like white meat.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/155/125

I LIKE..

Olives! High five, sunarie! Yes, the black ones, ohmygod I can't even cook with them without shoveling half the can down my throat.
Pickled eggs.
Slaughterhouse floor meat like bologna, Spam, Vienna weenies.. Don't judge, it's a Native thing.
Hot pickled weenies, Tijuana Mamas and such.
Cabbage in all its forms.

I DISLIKE...

Bacon.
Steak & unground beef.
Candy & ice cream.
Sweet baked things like those GODAWFUL CORNER STORE HONEYBUNS. Gimme shortbread or something.
cathisemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Things I like:
Black Olives. I don't like green olives.
Feta Cheese
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Veggie Burgers (not a vegetarian though I was at one time)

Things I don't like that others do:

Cadbury Creme Eggs (these are just nasty to me)
Potato Salad
Sushi
Lobster
Crab
Cherry Flavored Things
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #9  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Things I like:

Cauliflower
Brussel Sprouts
Broccoli (just about any veg!)
Walden Farms dressings
Fat free sour cream
Low fat items like cheese

Things I don't like that others do:

Any kind of chip
Red meat
Bacon
Candy like licorice, Skittles
Coffee
Rice
Potato's
Cereal (except for original Fiber One)
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I've never heard of disliking Mediterranean food. Being Greek myself that sounds pretty strange. So you hate pasta, Spanish tapas, iberico ham, gyros, grilled fish, Greek salad, tabouleh, tiramisu, pizza, kabobs, hummus, olives, the list of Mediterranean foods is endless, are you sure there isn't one Med food you could tolerate?

I like many foods so I won't list those, I love all the foods y'all claim to dislike.
DISLIKE
Ice cream
Curry
Chicken soup
Offal
Brie
Vinegar

Last edited by Palestrina; 07-06-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

- mushrooms; I know a lot of people like them, but I'm the only one in my family that does. Same with olives, any kind
- tofu; I have yet to try tofu that I don't like. Which is good, as I'm trying to become vegetarian. But even when I wasn't I still liked tofu a lot
- boring cereals like Wheaties and Cheerios with nothing on them. I'll even eat them dry without any kind of milk
- ketchup on eggs

DISLIKE
- pasta with red sauce. I like them both separately, but not together. No idea why
- shelled peas. It's completely a textural thing. I like the taste, but they seem so gritty to me. I like sugar snap peas a lot, though
- pizza with extra cheese. All that cheese just grosses me out for some reason
- bacon. I love the taste but lately have not been able to get over the fatty texture
- licorice
- tuna. I can tolerate it, but I've just never really liked it
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #12  

Canadiancutie, omg cherry flavored anything is gross!! I will not eat anything cherry flavor, I don't even like the smell. An I don't eat cherries.

I'm generally not a picky eater so it's easier to list my dislikes.
Cherry anything
Strawberry ice cream (though I love real strawberries)
Peas
Cake icing/frosting
Syrup on waffles/pancakes, I eat those with fresh fruit
Ham
Pepperoni on its own or on pizza
Hard boiled eggs, though I love eggs scrambled, poached, and I'll eat egg salad, but just a hard boiled egg, eww
I can't say I don't like it, but I've never tried Nutella.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

Like: (far to many things to post! )
--Pepperoni & Black Olive Pizza. Got the love of it from my mom!
--Homemade Ice Cream. Got the love of that from my maternal grandpa.
--Black Licorice & Dark Chocolate. Got the love of those from being the youngest in the family! All the other would eat the choice stuff, leaving me the "left overs".
--Fresh Fruits & Veggies. I love things that are ripe! Not that store bought, we had to pick it early. Ya know, PINK, FLAVORLESS tomatoes. ICKY

Dislike:
--Yam/Sweet Potatoes. Parents tried to get me to like them, never did! One of the ONLY veggies I dislike greatly.
--Mushrooms on Pizza. Sorry. Hate. Texture thing!
--Cilantro. I taste soap when I eat it. I'd rather eat a bar or Safeguard/Ivory!
--Liver & Onions. Can't even handle the smell of them!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Like:
Canned fish and canned seafood
Kimchi

Dislike:
Nothing

Last edited by IanG; 07-03-2015 at 07:27 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

DISLIKE:
Hot fudge cake
Any pudding other than chocolate
Gummy bears/Fruit Roll-Ups
Avocado/Guacamole
Sweet potatoes/Yams
Cooked carrots
Cole slaw
Sushi
Pistachios
Red licorice
Coffee (or even the smell of coffee)
Wine
Plain water

LIKE:
Brussel spouts
Cooked cabbage
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Pea soup (but not peas)
Black olives
Black licorice
Mushroom pizza
Cornbread with mustard

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 07-03-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote