Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/175

Height: 5' 9.5"

Default Hi!

I'm new here to this forum. I'm currently 245 lbs (the last fifteen has been gained with my being unemployed and feeling down about it). I'm 34 years old and have been struggling with my weight since I was 17 which is also the age I was diagnosed with PCOS. I also have a family history of obesity and my father was almost 300 lbs when he has his stroke in 1987. He only lived another three years in the hospital before he died of complications. I don't want to end up like him. He didn't take care of himself with either his diet, exercise or medication (high blood pressure...which I too have had since I was 23). I keep trying to lost the weight and had gotten down to 194 back in 2001 but then it came back. I'm sick of being overweight and hating how I look. I don't want to be stick thin but I want to be happy when I look at myself in the mirror. And don't even get me started on shopping for clothes (my personal belief is that whoever designs clothes for plus sized women should be drawn and quartered). I do take my blood pressure meds religiously. I love all the food that is bad for me. Sorry to dump this on everyone but I am looking for a support group as I try to lose the weight.
plus size librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

plus_size_librarian! I'm so sorry to hear about your father. You can do this and you'll find lots of support here! There's a sub-forum for those with PCOS under Dieting with Obstacles. There are forums on diet plans and exercise, just about anything you can think of! Some threads are more active than others but just look at the dates when people last posted in them. I love all the foods that are bad for me too, lol! I imagine most of us here do. We have a love-hate relationship with those foods. Quick-burning carbs (bread, cereal, pasta, sweets, potato chips, etc.) are my nemesis, so I'm on a modified version of a diet called the Slow Carb Diet, and it's just what I need! Take a look around, find what interests you, and jump in on some posts! People are very nice here! Good luck!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome plus sized librarian! I too am so sorry to hear about your dad.

Stick around and post often so we can support you. I wish you all the best with your goals.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Hi and Welcome Plus Sized Librarian. You and I have a lot in common. My mother was super obese at 400 pounds when she died 10 years ago and I fought for years with her death on my heart and in my mind until I decided that her fate wasn't going to be mine and I started 110 pounds MORE than what you are right now. You've come to the right place and the time to start is NOW!

What got me out of my funk and got me off my couch and brought me to my "come to Jesus" moment was I was reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book that he wrote 10 years ago and in it he talks about how weight loss is a choice. I was expecting to read some easy miracle cure in there which really is kinda silly considering Dr. Phil tells you exactly how it is. He is in your face, to the point and doesn't beat around the bush. He said that I had a choice. I could CHOOSE to not eat right, which we all really know what we are doing when we stuff crap in our mouths or we could CHOOSE to eat right. I could CHOOSE to exercise or I could CHOOSE to not exercise. Do it or don't do it. It was so simple but at the same time so in my face that I was like ya know what ok, yeah, I know this is going to be hard and I know it's going to take a heck of a long time and no fad diet is ever going to do it so I just need to make the choice and do it because I refuse to be like my mother and die 400 pounds and before my time.

It sounds like you've made the same choice I made and all that's left now to do is what path to take to get there. I hit the road hard myself. I exercise daily, I got on a sensible lifestyle change eating plan (not a diet) that was approved by a nutritionist that I can adapt for when I go into maintenance and not a fad diet so I am not under eating.

The exercise will help the depression a lot. It really has helped mine. Don't be afraid to seek professional help if you need it. I wish you great luck. You've come to the right place for support and encouragement.
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to 3FC
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 AM   #6  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDestiny View Post
Hi and Welcome Plus Sized Librarian. You and I have a lot in common. My mother was super obese at 400 pounds when she died 10 years ago and I fought for years with her death on my heart and in my mind until I decided that her fate wasn't going to be mine and I started 110 pounds MORE than what you are right now. You've come to the right place and the time to start is NOW!

What got me out of my funk and got me off my couch and brought me to my "come to Jesus" moment was I was reading Dr. Phil's weight loss book that he wrote 10 years ago and in it he talks about how weight loss is a choice. I was expecting to read some easy miracle cure in there which really is kinda silly considering Dr. Phil tells you exactly how it is. He is in your face, to the point and doesn't beat around the bush. He said that I had a choice. I could CHOOSE to not eat right, which we all really know what we are doing when we stuff crap in our mouths or we could CHOOSE to eat right. I could CHOOSE to exercise or I could CHOOSE to not exercise. Do it or don't do it. It was so simple but at the same time so in my face that I was like ya know what ok, yeah, I know this is going to be hard and I know it's going to take a heck of a long time and no fad diet is ever going to do it so I just need to make the choice and do it because I refuse to be like my mother and die 400 pounds and before my time.

It sounds like you've made the same choice I made and all that's left now to do is what path to take to get there. I hit the road hard myself. I exercise daily, I got on a sensible lifestyle change eating plan (not a diet) that was approved by a nutritionist that I can adapt for when I go into maintenance and not a fad diet so I am not under eating.

The exercise will help the depression a lot. It really has helped mine. Don't be afraid to seek professional help if you need it. I wish you great luck. You've come to the right place for support and encouragement.
JenDestiny, I see you are fairly new as well so a warm welcome to you! I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. Even as adults it's so hard to lose our parents.

I read that original weight loss book by Dr. Phil as well years ago and some of what he wrote has always stuck with me. I can't believe it's been ten years already!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 355/see tracker/under 200

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
JenDestiny, I see you are fairly new as well so a warm welcome to you! I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. Even as adults it's so hard to lose our parents.

I read that original weight loss book by Dr. Phil as well years ago and some of what he wrote has always stuck with me. I can't believe it's been ten years already!
Thanks for your condolences. It's been a long time now and I am in a great place in life. Yeah, Dr. Phil has a lovely way of giving us a nice swift kick in the pants right when we need it. That book I bought god knows how many years ago and it wasn't until recently I got it off the shelf, read it and felt the boot right to my bum. lol The fact I could do it or not do it, as he said, really hit me hard. And I chose to DO IT!
JenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/245/175

Height: 5' 9.5"

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone and sorry about your Mom JenDestiny.
plus size librarian is offline   Reply With Quote