Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #1  

Question trying to decide

I am waffling, is this normal? I want to lose the weight, and I know I can't lose it by myself, but do I really want to be cut open? I am a single parent, and can i do it for the first couple of weeks by myself? I have contacted three separate doctors, but still don't have any appointments. What to do, what to do?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:59 AM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Hi and welcome. Yes, I think waffling is very normal. Only you can decide what is right for you.

My opinion and my opinion only, I would not want to be alone the first couple weeks after surgery. Do you have friends or family who could help out?

Tell us a little about yourself, we're a friendly bunch here........very small group. We do have lots of lurkers

What type of research into wls have you done? Have you researched the doc's in your area? Or are you in the very, very early stages of just thinking about it?

A great web site with a wealth of information is www.obesityhelp.com You can find other's in your area and you can also find some doc's listed there as well.

We will all be more than willing to assist you on this journey, just let us know.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #3  

I have just started the process of thinking about it. I asked my GP this morning after being lectured about my BP, diabetes and cholesterol. He then said he didn't recommend it, even though I am (to my dismay) discovered that I am considered super super morbidly obese. He thinks there are too many other problems related, but he wants to try diet and exercise--as if I haven't tried that previously.

I have checked out Obesidyhelp and it has been helpful. I guess I see on this forum, more people who have had the surgery longer and therefore can better tell me what is what.

about me: I am a child abuse investigator for the state. am single have two adopted children, girl 24 and boy 14. and two granddaughters and another grandchild on the way. I have so many things I want to do, but can't find the energy now or can't fit, or get tired to easily.

Oh well, I am still searching, mean while I am attending a seminar in September and have an appointment with another doctor in January.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #4  

The decision that you ladies are making is very difficult. I'm a single mom of a 14 year old daughter. My ex isn't very active in our daughters life so it's been just Megan and I for the last 11 years. Megan would cry at the thought of me having surgery and at one point told me that if something happened to me she would never forgive me. I was at a point where I was having problems sitting in chairs with arms on them, I couldn't walk up stairs without getting out of breath. I would take Megan and her friends to Six Flaggs and wouldn't be able to ride the rides because I couldn't fit into the seats. One of my final deciding factors was the last time we went to Six Flaggs I walked up the stairs with my daughter and her friends and then almost didn't fit through the turnstiles. There was a group of boys in back of us and they started commenting under their breath about me and how I almost didn't fit. My blood pressure was stroke level and my legs and feet would swell so bad they would hang over my shoes. I'm 35 and was getting to the point that I just couldn't do anything I enjoyed anymore. I had my surgery on June 10th. I stayed with my parents for a week after the surgery only because it made my mother feel better. I was VERY tired but other then that I was in no pain and really felt ready to go. I returned to work on June 30th. I'm now 9 weeks post op and have gone from a size 24 to a size 20. I've lost almost 47 pounds and I feel absolutly wonderful. It's been the best decision that I've ever made. I'm able to walk and talk at the same time, I can fit into chairs again without my thighs hanging out underneat the arms and I can keep up with my daughter at Six Flaggs now, and I can ride the rides again! The downsides are few but are still there. The scar is hard to look at, my hair is starting to get thinner, I have a hard time eating slow and frequently throw up, but its still worth it. I'd do it again in a minute.
Closed Thread