Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #1  
35 to lose

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Height: 5'7"

Default An introduction and a question about ketosis

He all! This is my ??? time of doing atkins. & years ago I did wonderfully on Atkins. I lost 40 pounds in 3 1/2 months and kept it off until I got pregnant and gained it back. Off and on over the next 3 years I would get back into it but get unmotivated and fall off the wagon. 2 years ago I started a very physical job and easily lost 30 pounds. Last year I switched positions and do not have as much physical activity as I once did and gained 15 pounds. I have tried low cal, low fat, and exercise with no results. I'm just TOO busy. Work was my only way to exercise regularly. That all being said, I have 10 to get to my "last summer" goal, another 10 to my prepregnancy goal, and another 5 to get to my BIG goal.

I started Atkins a week ago and have lost 5 pounds. I have been drinking a shake for breakfast, salad for lunch, snack/meal bars a few times a week, and usually scrambled eggs and some veggies for dinner and an "indulge" treat at night. I snack on cheese occasionally. My net carbs are always 20-24. But a lot of that contains sugar alcohols. I have seen some people say they stall them. I have been drinking plenty of water and only one cup of coffee and a can of diet soda a day. I am losing though. I bought the ketosticks last night and tested positive (in between small and moderate). This morning just for kicks I tested again and was negative. Looking at my diary yesterday I had a shake and coffee for breakfast, salad for lunch, snack bar, rotisserie chicken for dinner, and an indulge treat.

I guestimated my carbs for a few meals on saturday and sunday because we ate out. But it was veggies and chicken/steak. Pretty run of the mill. I don't get it! I'd say it was the atkins products but I have been using them since day one.

Any advice is appreciated!
mamato2girlsinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato2girlsinfl View Post
He all! This is my ??? time of doing atkins. & years ago I did wonderfully on Atkins. I lost 40 pounds in 3 1/2 months and kept it off until I got pregnant and gained it back. Off and on over the next 3 years I would get back into it but get unmotivated and fall off the wagon. 2 years ago I started a very physical job and easily lost 30 pounds. Last year I switched positions and do not have as much physical activity as I once did and gained 15 pounds. I have tried low cal, low fat, and exercise with no results. I'm just TOO busy. Work was my only way to exercise regularly. That all being said, I have 10 to get to my "last summer" goal, another 10 to my prepregnancy goal, and another 5 to get to my BIG goal.

I started Atkins a week ago and have lost 5 pounds. I have been drinking a shake for breakfast, salad for lunch, snack/meal bars a few times a week, and usually scrambled eggs and some veggies for dinner and an "indulge" treat at night. I snack on cheese occasionally. My net carbs are always 20-24. But a lot of that contains sugar alcohols. I have seen some people say they stall them. I have been drinking plenty of water and only one cup of coffee and a can of diet soda a day. I am losing though. I bought the ketosticks last night and tested positive (in between small and moderate). This morning just for kicks I tested again and was negative. Looking at my diary yesterday I had a shake and coffee for breakfast, salad for lunch, snack bar, rotisserie chicken for dinner, and an indulge treat.

I guestimated my carbs for a few meals on saturday and sunday because we ate out. But it was veggies and chicken/steak. Pretty run of the mill. I don't get it! I'd say it was the atkins products but I have been using them since day one.

Any advice is appreciated!
Keep your carbs for the day at 20. 12-15 should be coming from veggies & salad. Dump all the Atkins products.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
Eat nothing that is not on the Acceptable Foods List.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 10-14-2014 at 06:52 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

JersyGirl's advice is always excellent, and she's a true success story!

I don't eat ANY Atkins or other "low carb" products.

I'm quite skeptical of "net carbs" because people end up with some kinda crazy things with it. I'd say subtracting fiber carbs from veggies is fine, but the weird fibers they throw into bars and all the sugar alcohols shouldn't just be ignored - there are plenty of studies of people showing blood sugar impact from these ingredients and thus it's quite likely that you're absorbing at least some of them.

My recommendation is to work towards eliminating as many of these things as you can.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #4  
35 to lose

S/C/G: 175/169/145

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the suggestions. I've always wondered about sugar alcohols. I remember years ago when I would get the sugar-free candy I would sometimes stall. The same with low-carb ice cream.The Atkins products are nice because they're convenient however they are very expensive. Unfortunately today we were running late and all I had time for was to grab two shakes and a snack. I think I will stick with the shakes but eliminate all of the bars and treats. I only have 1 left anyway.
mamato2girlsinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato2girlsinfl View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've always wondered about sugar alcohols. I remember years ago when I would get the sugar-free candy I would sometimes stall. The same with low-carb ice cream.The Atkins products are nice because they're convenient however they are very expensive. Unfortunately today we were running late and all I had time for was to grab two shakes and a snack. I think I will stick with the shakes but eliminate all of the bars and treats. I only have 1 left anyway.
Personally, I'd eliminate the shakes as well. They contain Milk & Soy....not on the Acceptable Foods List.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 10-15-2014 at 10:50 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Good advice given. Welcome and best wishes on your WOE.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote