PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default October 2014 PCOS Support Thread

Here is the old Sept 2014 Thread.

Tell us how you're doing:

- How's the PCOS?
- How are you?
- What are you working on now?
- How successful are you?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-06-2014 at 09:12 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

- How's the PCOS?

Wonky. I did the labs and I see my endoc on Tuesday. So I am hoping to get some answers, esp on the perimenopause weirdo front. It's been like morning sickness, only I am NOT pregnant with the hormone weird. I am hot like an oven with the hot flushes, nauseated, and to add insult to injury, gained some weight. The chronic queasy makes it hard to take my full Metformin -- which I know doesn't help me lose but does stop the pcos "weight creep." I am hoping to sort that perimenopause weird out with endoc so I can return to my full dose and this "creep" can stop. I am heavy enough. I don't want more creeping on.

My periods had gotten kinda regular with the d-chiro-inositol added to my routine. Then AWOL for 3 months while all this perimenopause stuff came on. At first I thought I was sick, but then I realize what it must be. That time frame was biggest weight creep up to 280! Then BOOM, a really heavy period. I'm back down from the PMS bloat and feel a lot better. Less like a bear. But that was rough.

How are you?

Emotionally ok enough. Alz parent was wearing me out. Add the perimenopause weird and I've been experiencing a lot of GRRR cranky/irritable. Like I am going to jump out of my skin if anyone touches me -- breast tenderness, hot, etc just make me crabby. It's better now post period, but I am concerned that I might go "back to bear" as my body tries to prepare for the next period.

Waiting out my appointment.
Mapping out this week's groceries.
Cleaned up the treadmill, but still need to lube it so I can walk again. I ordered the kit and wait for it to come.

I won't know til I see lab results to see how they have changed from last time's values. I am trying to hang in there and not slip backward even if I am not feeling like I am making huge strides forward. It's hard to keep objective when I feel like a bear a lot of the time.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Just got back from endoc. Reviewed latest labs. Ugh.

Gained weight, need to see gyn about perimenopause management, feel all hot flashes and bloat weird. Some of my numbers are better, some are not. Ugh.

Sigh. Trying to take it in and see what I can change to improve those labs.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-20-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/SeeTicker/160

Hi astrophe! I'm AmyLynne. I am new here and I have PCOS so I figured I'd check in! I've been diagnosed for almost 15 years now and it has been quite a journey.

- How's the PCOS?

It's okay. I recently had some spotting which is so weird. I'm a no-periods PCOSer. I have been thinking about asking my doctor to put me on the pill, but I just switched doctors (I went away to college and still saw my home doctor during those years, but I graduated and permanently live where I went to college and now I'm switching my doctors over). And NO endo's here even know what PCOS is. So I got referred to an ob/gyn. Not sure what that'll do, but at least I have an appointment with someone.

- How are you?

I'm fine! I am thankful to get all the doctor stuff taken care of. Just very busy as always with work and grad school!

Well since I'm relatively new to the losing weight scene, I am working on controlling my eating and keeping a low calorie count. I am really only focusing on how much I eat at this point. I am eating whatever I want, but controlling portions. I am trying to take things one step at a time. My next step will be changing what I eat.

So far pretty successful! I have lost 7.8 pounds this month. I'm really excited. I know it could be more if I was watching WHAT I eat instead of just how much, but I'm still pumped about 7.8 pounds.
amylynnehicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone!

I know I've been MIA, but it turned out I forgot my password to this site! I kept locking myself out.

I finally gave up and reset it. But it took me a while.

I was also traveling a lot -- about a month's worth, and with all that, I also came down with a very bad flu/sinus infection, and I'm back on the mend.

Despite the craziness of the travel, I have only gained a few pounds back (165 lbs) and I'm back to getting rid of these extra pounds now.

My PCOS, I think, is okay. Still managing it through exercise and food, and my food is still very much Paleo. My boyfriend also has a few pounds to lose (he started his diet at the start of this year and lost about 65 lbs himself!) but he's gained a few pounds back and I can tell he is diet weary... So, we're both trying to get back on track. He's off now looking at recipes he'll try this week, I have food in my fridge that I will cook this weekend, and I'm off to exercise class in a few minutes (Spinning).

I reached a point where I was happy to be back on track diet-wise. I really was feeling crappy and one of the things that I like about the way that I eat, which really feeds (sorry for the pun!) into staying on track, is feeling light and healthy and full of energy. When I'm off, I really start to feel crappy.

To convince myself again that wheat products are the devil for me, I saw during these travels how rice sits well with me, but bread products really brought me down -- emotionally and physically. I'm glad I see it, because it means I'm less attracted to wheat in any of it's forms. I'm happy to give that up forever, not sure I can do the same for rice or potatoes, though!

I'm still determined to break the 160 range and I have another meeting with my doctor next Friday. It's impossible to lose the 5 lbs between now and then, but I will do my best. I really just want to crack that number and settle into the 150s. I'm tired of being in the 160s... I've been here for years now.

Wish me luck. Send me good vibes. I'm going to crack that number before the end of year.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #6  

Default The journey begins

Hi folks my name is Nikole and I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago. I have been married for almost 3 years and as you know its been a rough road trying to conceive. I am hear because I want to get healthier and I am hoping in that I can get my body in "balance" and have a child.

- How's the PCOS?
manageable. I am taking lots of vitamins and considering getting back on medication to regulate my cycle but in hopes that some weight reduction may do the trick.
- How are you?
Feeling hopeful. I spent years fighting hitsutism (IPL treatments are a life saver) so now that I have that under control want to do something about this weight. Want to be positive about the prospects of a baby but its emotionally draining at times.
Weight loss to regulate my cycle, for overall health and in hopes of getting pregnant. I am doing the right sized smoothie plan. replacing two meals with shake and adding snack in between. Also I am logging my food on my fitness pal and doing a video journal every night. Just started this week.
Yet to be determined. I am going on this journey with 2 other girlfriends one of which is getting married in 6 months. I have support and I know my husband supports me too. Hoping all goes well hope I can get some encouragement from this community and give some encouragement as well. Here we go!!
nikleej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm down to 163.2 as of this morning... argh. This is always the stubborn pounds.

I don't know what I am willing to do (or not do) to get below 160... I've been hovering around this weight for years.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

amylynnehicks -- welcome! Hope you have been able to find a doc. Good job on the weight loss effort in the meanwhile on your own! That's a great outcome of your work!

Rana -- Hang in there. You are very close. Better than that you have been maintaining that close for years -- which is HUGE. Maintaining is even harder than losing.

nikleej -- welcome! That's cool that you have fitness buddies on the journey with you! FWIW, I never regulated cycles to better than every 60 days. It took a year of exercise, diet, and Metformin. I was about to add the Clomid, but I was already pregnant. Conceived on day 53 -- crazy huh? So keep up hope and do what you need to do to be as healthy as possible.

I am doing ok. Perimenopause migraine -- always something. If not headache then hot flashes. I hope to get some relief soon.

Let's move over to November...

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 10-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.