Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #1  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Winter solstice & SAD Resolutions

I have dreaded the season of short daylight for years now. Each year I try to figure out what to do to ride it out, even enjoy wintertime, without lowered mood or lower energy. If I manage those challenges, WOE follows. This is not about holiday blues, rather a physiological reaction to less daylight. That said, holidays following one after the other with all their time demands & obligations don't make it easier.

Please feel free to jump in & post what you plan to do to make this season okay for you, rather than having to grit your teeth and count the days until it's over (Though I love to count how many days until longer daylight is perceptible )

Last edited by mars735; 09-10-2014 at 11:15 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #2  

Usually it hits me after the holidays when the bright lights and decorations are put away and everything looks bleak. But I notice that I am aware of the darkness that has been sneaking up here in September earlier and earlier. Only thing that I can think of to battle the blues is to get outside even for 15 min each day in the sunlight. Walking if weather permitting in the sun. I put on lights all through the house so the electric company loves me. Maybe a hobby to ease the bill of lights, lol?
annsokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #3  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I use a day light Winter is long and dark up here, we've already had some very unseasonable cold, grey weather so I've started using it for a few hours a day. I find it really makes a difference. I use it at work because that's the only place I sit for the amount of time needed for it to have an impact.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Wow Aunty Jam, I guess the daylight changes between winter and summer are steep! I just got the ok from my eye doc to use my light down here at latitude 38.
My resolutions so far are to get outside more. Say no to holiday parties I "should" attend. Bah Humbug!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Glad to hear your eye doc says it's ok I think you should go to the parties.... just MHO.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote