Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #1  

Default Need feedback: Which diet approach?

Hi everyone!

I have a long history with diets and struggling to lose weight (and keep it off). But, about 2 (maybe 3) years ago I dipped into the "pre-diabetic" range (based on blood work). I haven't been testing my blood glucose levels at all in the past 6 months or so. But, my weight seems to have suddenly shot up 40lbs in the last 6 months (although I might have longer than that). I've been soooooooo stressed at work which I've used as an excuse to not watch what I eat. I'm afraid to check my A1C level again.

I need to gain some control and pick an eating plan. My last serious attempt at weight loss I followed the plan in the Diabetes Miracle (aka Metabolism Miracle). I like a lot about the plan -- for instance, that it was developed by a diabetes nutritionist, I could fit in my need for a sweet treat after diner, and didn't have to count calories. But, I've never had success re-trying a diet program I previously "failed" on. I think I develop a mental block and am often thinking, "I can't do this" or "I'll just fail again." (I've tried several times to rejoin WW after initially losing over 50 lbs on the program.)

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm up to learning a new plan. I keep wondering if counting calories is the way to go. Or maybe with pre-diabetes, counting carbs is a better option. I do need some plan.

Any suggestions? I have about 100 lbs I need to lose. But initially, I know I'll feel much better if I can lose 30 lbs.

Thanks!
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #2  

From what I've read, some people have had their numbers go down eating a LC WOE. Good luck with whatever plan you choose.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Check out Ideal Protein... There is a reason it is about the largest diet group on 3Fat Chicks!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #4  

Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out why Ideal Protein is so popular. Is it just the "it" meal replacement program right now. Or does it have clear advantages over Medifast, for example?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #5  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Hello! First, I am wondering if your thyroid has been checked recently? That amount of weight gain in that period of time sounds a bit high so just wondering. Secondly, in regards to diet, I am also prediabetic and have had success with reducing carbs, specifically grains and sugars, and adding in more healthy fats. I have lost 30-ish pounds and my glucose levels have improved. When I stay on plan with that, the cravings diminish and the junk food/grains/sugars no longer tempt me the way they normally do. If I get off my plan, the cravings return and I have a hard time getting back to eating the way that helps me but when I do eat that way I feel better, the stomach bloating (pregnancy look) goes away, my reflux improves, I lose weight and my blood sugar is stable.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #6  

Shannonsnail - I went back and checked my weight log and really my weight hasn't jumped that much in the last year. It just seemed like it, I guess. How specific is your eating plan? For example, do you set a specific carb limit or have a list of foods you try to avoid?

I'm still torn between doing my own thing and following a specific plan. I just need to start on something and I've just putting it off.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Maureen, Shannonsnail isn't ignoring you...she cut her finger badly and is not posting until she heals a bit. Just wanted to let you know. I'm sure she will come back and reply to your post in a few days.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote