General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #1  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

Default Body Weights and Airline Seating

I can’t recall when I’ve felt emotionally comfortable sitting beside a stranger in an airline seat. It's been that way for decades, at a very wide variety of weights. Flying sends all of my good vibes right out the window, no matter how much effort I put into embracing who I am as a body-positive fat woman.

So let’s talk about plain old practicality. At what weight did fitting in an airplane seat feel relatively comfortable for you, both physically and emotionally? At what size were you able to stop worrying (at least to a large extent) about invading seatmates’ space?
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

More depends on your body shape than your weight in this case. My natural shape is hourglass/pear. No matter what I weigh there will always be a "spread" lol. When I lose weight i lose from my upper body mostly. This used to bother me a lot and sitting on a plane or other seat was super uncomfortable in an emotional way mostly. But I've been working very hard on my body image with daily affirmation that I am beautiful and constant vigilance to change my negative thought patterns regarding my self talk. It really works. I don't think about plane seating anymore, I'm a valid human being, I bought my plane seat and I deserve to take up every inch of it. It's not my fault that the airline is so cheap they pack as many seats in there as possible. It's them at fault, not me.

No apologies for the spread!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: see ticker

I have broad shoulders and even when I was about a size 8 I was not terribly comfortable sitting next to my husband, who also has very broad shoulders. I've never had issues with my behind/thighs, although I don't think I was ever over 185 or so when I flew.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure airplanes will ever be comfortable for me, unless I can someday afford first class. I like to stretch my legs!

This may be a useful resource for anyone planning a flight, though. A friend of mine put it together: Fat Girl Travels: 10 FAQs for Fat Flyers
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

I feel comfortable under 165...

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 08-28-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #6  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

My high weight was around 210 lbs, and I don't remember having any plane-related issues at that time. And I always flew coach.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

At 281lbs I never had a problem but I was close as the belt was all the way out.

At 170 I love reeling that sucker all the way in!

Last edited by IanG; 08-28-2014 at 03:13 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I can't remember ever being comfortable on a plane even when i get the exit row and have legroom.

I just apologize to the person sitting next to me and hope there are no delays.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #9  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Everyone, thanks so much for the weight answers and flying advice. I’ve been trying to figure out if I picked a practical goal weight for myself, and I think that it is indeed about the right target for me. I appreciate your candor and kindness.
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote