Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Psych Evaluation

Hi All,
I'm going for my first visit with WLS surgeon and Psych eval. Can anyone tell me what they do/ask at the Psych eval? Thanks!
Skini mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #2  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

I'm curious about this too, as I will be going for my first visit with the WLS surgeon and Psych eval soon.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #3  

Hi Diyana,
What type of WLS are you looking at? I'm going for a new proceedure at Mayo Clinic called Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty. It's done through the mouth and involves sewing but no cutting. Those who have had it have had good success.
I can't wait to get started!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

My psych was pretty easy. I have a history of depression and anxiety, so we discussed that. Since neither is related to my weight, it wasn't a huge concern. We discussed any history of an eating disorder, binging/purging, my ability to eat mindfully, questions about suicidal thoughts/ attempts, etc.

The bulk of it was spent discussing my ability to understand that this was a major life style change, with a powerful tool, not some quick fix, or a magic pill. We also spent a fair amount of time discussing the fact that my life, any major issues non weight related weren't going to disappear and ensuring I had a strong support system.

Be honest and truthful. I think, post-surgery, i realize the importance of being mentally ready.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #5  

Thanks so much Ducky! That's pretty much what I thought it would be. Just wanted to know what to expect. Is the appt with the surgeon basically a physical and history? I'm also meeting with a dietitian after those 2 appointments.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 279/257/180

Height: 5'7"

My co-worker had gastric bypass. Her psych eval mainly concentrated on the psychological challenges of being able to cope with the inability to find comfort in food and offered other ways of self-comforting. He also spent a great deal of time telling her the divorce statistics brought on by infidelity after successfully dropping so much weight. That hasn't been a problem for her at all. She said that since her husband loved her when she weighed 400 lbs, she would love him even if she weighed 120 lbs.
HeeHawHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #7  

Thanks Honey,
It's interesting to hear what different Psychologists are focusing on.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skini mini View Post
Thanks so much Ducky! That's pretty much what I thought it would be. Just wanted to know what to expect. Is the appt with the surgeon basically a physical and history? I'm also meeting with a dietitian after those 2 appointments.

My meeting with the surgeon wasn't a physical at all. I met with a group of 6 or so patients first, the surgeon went through the binder I was given, covered his style and some common concerns. Then we eat met one on one with him. He went over my history, we discussed my options for WLS (since I wanted the sleeve already and he thought that was the best option too, it was a quick point) and then he gave me a goal weight to lose.

Dietitian was more interesting. We went over my food log and discussed the issues I was having. I didn't eat breakfast before WLS, so we discussed options to get more protein in me, etc. That was more in-depth than talking with my surgeon.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

echoing what the others have said - with a couple of additions. my psych eval also included brainstorming some potential strategies for coping, and an emphasis on the idea that relationships are also likely to change. And when you stop to think about it, that makes sense. we're changing our relationship with food, which we've turned to for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with hunger. and NOW, we have to deal with those 'reasons' differently.

So if we're angry, we can't eat it away - we have to deal with it. and that's often a surprise to people around us. And not always easy for them to understand, let alone to deal with
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #10  

Thanks Jiffypop,
It's great to have different perspectives. It will be interesting to see what combination of all your scenarios will occur at my eval!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I went for my psych evaluation last Thursday. Lasted about an hour and a half, and we discussed lots of things. My childhood (what my household was like, my relationship to food as a child, activity levels, etc). We moved on to teenage years, and again the relationship to food, how I handled high school, and the issues in my life at that time. Throughout the session, he asked how much I weighed at certain periods of my life. The last portion was discussing my marriage, my husband's thoughts on the surgery & how he will be there for me, and then how I think this surgery will change my life.

All very easy stuff to answer, can just get kind of emotional at times (or at least it did for me).

Edited to add:
When I finished with the evaluation, I was given a list of support groups, so that I could talk to those and learn new coping techniques for handling emotions/stress without resorting to food post surgery.

Last edited by kayleystar; 07-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #12  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Ducky - Your process sounds very similar to the process Kaiser in Northern CA follows. Is your surgery at Kaiser?

Kayleystar - I'm glad the psych eval went well. I need to lose about 6 more pounds and then I'll be scheduled for mine. I've been going to several different support groups, trying out to see which group of people I "click" with. It's very interesting to hear the experiences of the newly post op and the people who have had surgery years ago. I've found everyone very willing to answer questions of newbies/pre-ops.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #13  
GmaTo8

My evaluation consisted of several meetings with the psychiatrist, discussing the issues the other posters have mentioned. In addition to that, though, I took a written test of about 120 questions, in an agree/disagree format. For example, did I think the surgery would be an easy way out, would my life be perfect after weight loss, was I willing to follow all the guidelines, etc. Many of the questions were asked more than once, but worded differently, looking for consistency.

Just be honest, and remember what you've been taught, and you will do fine. Keep in mind that this is to help ensure your overall success.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

My evaluation.....I wish he would have talked more about coping with the emotions afterward. Oh well....that is what support groups are for but I honestly have found more support here and the NA meetings I attend with my oldest son. To be honest.....food is my drug of choice.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyana View Post
Ducky - Your process sounds very similar to the process Kaiser in Northern CA follows. Is your surgery at Kaiser?
Yep. Fresno Center, June 10th of this year.

But my mom had it done at South San Fransisco and my best friend had hers done at Fremont, so my experience is sort of like a melting pot of three different centers. If there is anything I've learned, every experience can be really different, even when going through the same insurance.