South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Anyone had luck with soy for menopause brain?

Lately, I feel like my brain has holes in it! I'm only 47 so it really can't be early Alzheimers (at least I don't think so). But I'm definitely in perimenopause and am considering upping my intake of whole soy foods (non GMO) to see if it helps. Anyone had experience with soy food supplementation for peri/menopause?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I don't really see why soy would help? Why do you think it would help?
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #3  

When I went thru menopause I had terrible hot flashes for about a year. I picked in something called soy balance in desperation one day at the grocery store and it absolutely stopped the hot flashes cold (no pun intended). I did it for about a year and when I quit they were over.

Who knows but it sure worked for me.

Last edited by CindySunshine; 03-26-2014 at 07:30 AM.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #4  
banned

Maybe you should check out this article before considering a soy pill. Fermented soy foods such as miso, tempeh and tofu, seems to be the recommended and safe way to consume soybeans.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...t-flashes.aspx

Last edited by Pattience; 03-26-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #5  

Well there you go. It sure as the devil seemed to make a difference for me at the time and this is like 8 years ago now. I even quit taking them a week later and the hot flashes came back. Maybe it's the placebo effect. For sure the research now seems to say so.

At least I didn't take them for long thank goodness.

Last edited by CindySunshine; 03-26-2014 at 05:35 PM.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #6  
banned

I don't know cindy but the other concerns about soy seem working taking note of.

I was interested to check it out because i had never heard of soy as an antidote for menopause before.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I have yet to find anything that helps with the hot flashes or forgetfulness, sorry. I've tried Russian rhubarb root (recommended by my doc) and St. John's wart and black cohosh but no luck. I do think keeping my fat intake high enough helps the memory part a little. Soy isn't an option for me because of thyroid issues. Let me know if you find anything that helps Mmckellen.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Scuse me for butting in, but I had to tell my side of the story.

At age 44 I started menopause. I found that any and all dairy products would produce bloat, cramps, scrambled memory, and a general feeling of non-well being.

I started on Soy milk for my cereal and cut out everything else. To my surprise I found that there were no more hot flushes, no mood swings, no cramping, no bloat and no further 'what the heck am I doing here' type feelings.

About a year or so following that the body told me that I could go back to the dairy if desired and I have, but still find that ordinary milk is not good to the system, including the brain.

Whatever you decide to do, listen to what the body is telling you. It sounds like it is trying to say something to you about something that you are eating that triggers sponge brain.

Last edited by Shad; 03-26-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote