Weight Loss Surgery - An interesting article

View Full Version : An interesting article

jiffypop
03-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Look, we all know that WLS is a hard decision, and it's even MORE difficult when children are very overweight. This girl had a tumor on her pituitary, and after the surgery to remove it, gained a huge amount of weight, and never felt full. Truly, something drastic needed to be done.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hungry-texas-girl-full-gastric-bypass-due-complications/story?id=23010704

i have to say that I applaud her docs for starting with the sleeve under these conditions. Purely restrictive, and they can see how she does. She's very young for a malabsorption procedure.

What do you think? my heart goes out to her -

<and for those of you who haven't had surgery, this is NOT an opportunity to blast WLS in general. This post is about a particular person in a very rare circumstance, and facing very real health issues if something couldn't be done to help her>

MauiKai
03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I saw this on the news the other day. It was scary how fast that little girl bloated up and got so big. She got so big her eyes looked like they were being squeezed shut! I am so glad they were willing to DO something other than just tell the parents to put her on a diet. That kid has a chance now.

Munchy
03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I read the article that was linked within that article too. The doctor said it was her hunger signals, but the mom said she gained 2lbs per week on 900 calories/day.
Honestly, if she's very hungry, it would be very difficult for mom to put her on 900 calories/day.

I hope the sleeve works - what a tough road this little girl has traveled so far.

Desiderata
03-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Oh my gosh, how heartbreaking. And hard for me to read. I was roughly her age when I was diagnosed with a very similar tumor. (I haven't had surgery for it.) Just horrific to think that she was left with permanent damage that caused an even more serious problem. Totally understand the need to intervene surgically again, but you just hope that there are no other unforeseen complications. Just tragic - especially as they note they weren't able to complete the procedure. Hope she eventually can get the help she needs. :(

ladyrider72472
03-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Having just been sleeved I have mixed feelings about this. I pray it works for her. It must be hard on her family as well as her.