Weight Loss Support - The start of a new me

View Full Version : The start of a new me

Dollydimple
03-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Forgive me for trespassing but the UK forum seems a bit quiet and I need all the support I can get. So I've cut and pasted my yesterday post in here

Just got back. I’ve had the go ahead from my doctor and being weighed and measured was a sobering experience I can tell you. Thank the lord the practice nurse was only slightly slimmer than me.
I am having 4 shakes a day (Shake that Weight) for 3 days to kick start me, and 3 a day with a healthy evening meal for the rest of the week. Then, after my first weigh in, I’ll take it from there.
I hope this euphoria I feel today will last. However I know if I do start to wander off the regime, I’ll get sympathy and support on here.
I also hope to set up a weight tracker, when the forum fairies allow me to. Apparently, there is something called ‘the ticker factory’ which is easy to set up so long as I ask someone on here which code to choose… It’s all Greek to me.
Here are my stats and I am deeply, deeply ashamed
Weight 18st 9lbs ( that's a gross 261lbs): Bust 53” waist 53” hips 58and a half” I look like an over the hill pear.
My husband ( 39 years come December) says he'll still love me if I look like the Goodyear blimp. But I can't go on gaining like this. My hips, knees and ankles are very sore, and stairs are getting to be a problem. I want to be fit again

Pattience
03-15-2014, 03:46 AM
The great thing about being really overweight is that you can eat a lot and still lose weight.

to do this, if you choose foods that are high in fibre and nutrition you will be more easily satisfied and will find it easy to lose the weight.

Mind you, i think you need to alway set rules and boundaries for yourself.

I don't know what your past diet history is but mine is intermittent and in recent years when i've taken a more mature approach (no fads) I have learned each time. Of course this time I'm hoping it will be my last.

If you eat healthy (and it seems a lot of people don't really know what healthy and nutritious is) then you will find it quite easy.

Basically the less processed the more you have to prepare your foods yourself; the less you can eat it straight from a packet, the more healthy your food is going to be. Whole foods, high fibre, high veggie content and high diversity.

Before you get near the end of your diet, make an effort to transition away from processed shakes to real food. we need to learn how to eat well for the rest of our lives. And be willing to commit to that sort of mission i think.

So that's why i'm giving up sweets forever. I mean if you are able to eat sweets in moderation, good luck to you and i envy you but i can't. Sugar just wants more sugar. Some people find that the case with high salted and added flavour foods.

Anyway good luck and hang in there. At least you are working with your doctors so that's a good move I think, though i am doing better than my doctor lol.

btw i don't rely on exercise for my weightloss. I would like to exercise more but it will come a bit later on when i am feeling better and when i am ready. For now and as the general rule goes, its 80% diet and 20% exercise for weightloss. But there are some nice healing exercise you can do now that shouldn't cause more damage or pain to your joints. Try tai chi or water aerobics if you want to get into exercise right now. Save walking and gym stuff till later. House cleaning and gardening are also really good because they have dimensions and don't cost much.

Dollydimple
03-15-2014, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the reply Pattience hope to speak to you again
I'm not going to do very strenuous exercise until my doctor tells me too. I was a fat child, slim nurse and medium young mum (UK size 16) My weight piled on when I gave up smoking in 2005 and then following a bereavement in 2010, and rollercoasted from there. now is the right time to take control of my life again

Pattience
03-15-2014, 06:30 AM
yes quitting smoking was a major downfall for me too but no way am i going back there. Good luck.

Serenity100
03-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Dolly, you can do it! I know how a bereavement can throw you for a loop. My dad passed away after a very short illness last year, and it caused me to eat compulsively.

You have a supportive husband, that is worth a lot. Plan meals that your entire family can enjoy.

Dollydimple
03-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Dolly, you can do it! I know how a bereavement can throw you for a loop. My dad passed away after a very short illness last year, and it caused me to eat compulsively.

You have a supportive husband, that is worth a lot. Plan meals that your entire family can enjoy.

It was our daughter we lost in 2010, Serenity (what a lovely handle) . She was 32 and we had been her carers for all that time. She was autistic and epileptic, but to look at her, you wouldn't think she had any problems at all. She died suddenly during a seizure.

We will never be the same again, but we owe it to her memory to live life to the full. Her old labrador missed her dreadfully and grieved along with us.

justagirlinthecity
03-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi Dollydimple,

I'm so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter. No parent should have to out-live their child. If you need to talk about, we're all here. :hug:
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 230 lb (at the ripe old age of 25, sigh) and I just started my diet (for want of a better word) the week before last. We can do it together! :dust:

Smiffmama
03-15-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm so so sorry for the loss of your daughter. My kids are 3 and 4 and I could never imagine. I've gained 20lbs since I lost my grandma in August. The more I read everyone's stories the more I see I'm not the only one who stress eats. My husband is trying to be supportive, for that I'm thankful. It's a learning process for us both. Good soul food has always been a way I've said I love you. A big 4 course meal of country cooking. Baked cakes. His favorite. Lol grandma always cooked really southern and we live in her house now. My husband grew up eating her cooking everyday she pretty much raised him. Always mashed potatoes or fries potatoes everyday. Fried meat, and vegtables boiled with bacon fat. So I continue to fix these meals for my husband as its helped him immensely. And I'm making my own meal on the side lol. It just makes it that much harder I guess.

Dollydimple
03-15-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm so so sorry for the loss of your daughter. My kids are 3 and 4 and I could never imagine. I've gained 20lbs since I lost my grandma in August. The more I read everyone's stories the more I see I'm not the only one who stress eats. My husband is trying to be supportive, for that I'm thankful. It's a learning process for us both. Good soul food has always been a way I've said I love you. A big 4 course meal of country cooking. Baked cakes. His favorite. Lol grandma always cooked really southern and we live in her house now. My husband grew up eating her cooking everyday she pretty much raised him. Always mashed potatoes or fries potatoes everyday. Fried meat, and vegtables boiled with bacon fat. So I continue to fix these meals for my husband as its helped him immensely. And I'm making my own meal on the side lol. It just makes it that much harder I guess.

Don't tell me... your husband eats all that and you gain the weight.
I remember over 40 years ago, visiting Kentucky. Being made to feel welcome was overwhelming, the people were so friendly. It is my belief that if you don't eat your body weight in food, the Kentuckians feel offended. It was there, I got the recipe for apple sauce cake. My family loved it

Dollydimple
03-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Hi Dollydimple,

I'm so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter. No parent should have to out-live their child. If you need to talk about, we're all here. :hug:
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 230 lb (at the ripe old age of 25, sigh) and I just started my diet (for want of a better word) the week before last. We can do it together! :dust:

How are you doing? I started yesterday (Friday) and I feel great. However you never know when the munchie gremlins will strike do you? Would love to keep in touch. There's safety in numbers:D

AwShucks
03-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Hi Dolly! So glad you decided to post over here. Since I'm not British, (but a big Anglophile!) I hesitate to look in on the UK forum - sorry to hear it's a tad slow. Really, I've not been turned away from anywhere I've posted. I think you'll find the place friendly as a whole.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter. I sympathize with your grief and understand how quickly things can spiral out of control with eating. Years ago, my father died suddenly. I was in my late 20's and having some success with one of my many attempts at weight loss, and after his death, I just went numb for about a year -- and of course, gained everything back.

It is a tribute to your daughter that you want to better your health to live for her. I can imagine what a good mother you were to her.

Now that you're getting a handle on your eating, start small with a little lightweight activity. You will be amazed how good you feel and how quickly your body will adjust. You might have some discomfort at first, but keep going - with persistence, you will get stronger! And, you will succeed! All the best to you!

Dollydimple
03-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi Dolly! So glad you decided to post over here. Since I'm not British, (but a big Anglophile!) I hesitate to look in on the UK forum - sorry to hear it's a tad slow. Really, I've not been turned away from anywhere I've posted. I think you'll find the place friendly as a whole.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter. I sympathize with your grief and understand how quickly things can spiral out of control with eating. Years ago, my father died suddenly. I was in my late 20's and having some success with one of my many attempts at weight loss, and after his death, I just went numb for about a year -- and of course, gained everything back.

It is a tribute to your daughter that you want to better your health to live for her. I can imagine what a good mother you were to her.

Now that you're getting a handle on your eating, start small with a little lightweight activity. You will be amazed how good you feel and how quickly your body will adjust. You might have some discomfort at first, but keep going - with persistence, you will get stronger! And, you will succeed! All the best to you!

Funny you should say that. My husband had me doing 'step up' or 'step aerobics' I think they are called, on the first step of our stairs. I did 5 yesterday (pathetic isn't it) and 7 today and by gum, my old knees feel a lot better. So you are so right Awshucks. He is an old cardiac patient from 2009 and, he says it was the best thing that happened to him. It got him healthy. He is going to do a few simple exercises with me that he learned in cardiac rehabilitation. He has a bike and rides everyday and says when I feel up to it, he will buy me one too. At the moment I think I would look like a haystack on top of a pimple, and I doubt my knees would last very long, but its something to aim for. Right, its getting on for 5pm here so its time I turned this off and got on with cooking tea. chicken and salad for hubby and just a bit of chicken and a shake for me

Serenity100
03-15-2014, 04:39 PM
:hug:Dolly, losing a child has to be the most awful experience in the world. Taking nice walks outside is my favorite exercise, it is stress reducing too.

Pattience
03-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Condolences for the loss of your daughter dolly.

Its great your husband seems to be on your side with the exercise. little things can make a big difference when done in the long term.

justagirlinthecity
03-16-2014, 03:54 AM
How are you doing? I started yesterday (Friday) and I feel great. However you never know when the munchie gremlins will strike do you? Would love to keep in touch. There's safety in numbers:D

So glad you're feeling good! There's a real strength in knowing you're taking control and making healthy choices. I'm battling cravings and withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I'm really struggling, but next week is a new start. I know what you mean, I wouldn't have made it this far at all without support from these forums! :)

Waterbunny77
03-16-2014, 04:20 AM
Dolly welcome aboard! You seem to have the right attitude and I'm sure you'll do just fine. We're always here for support, just remember to keep coming back. :D:)

Dollydimple
03-16-2014, 04:48 AM
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

Firstly, I don't think I've ever met a friendlier and more encouraging bunch of folk than on here. Canadians Americans Australians and New Zealanders, I swear would take their shoes off and give them to you if you didn't have any. I have either visited their countries or worked with them and they were extremely easy to work with and a laugh a minute. Thank you so much for the support.. Right, upwards and onwards.

This morning I woke up with the 'third day carb withdrawal' headache. I was warned about this happening, and told that it was common on very low carb diets. Funny though, here I am with only 4 sachets of the formula a day and I don't feel hungry. I was also told that from today on, I will start to feel better. Hope so, because it is only8.50am and I feel so aweful I could go back to bed and pull the covers over my head

justagirlinthecity
03-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Dolly, I'm not doing a low carb diet so I can't offer any advice but I totally understand withdrawal and I also understand going back to bed! I've been following my diet well then breaking it with a big binge, then going back to it again, like a viscous cycle :( I hope your day is going well and you're feeling better.

Pattience
03-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi dolly, yesterday i was reading, i think it was the insulin article which clarifies what's going for you and why you are feeling that way. I would not like to go through it myself but since you are, you should have an easy schedule so that you can cope with it.

go back to bed if it helps and don't hold to this day or that day. If you are following the plan strictly, what they say will happen, if not exactly at the time they predict because they understand the reasons why its happening. It would help you if you could understand it better too.

I read the article about insulin on nutrition world website. I found it very interesting and useful.

Pattience
03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
So glad you're feeling good! There's a real strength in knowing you're taking control and making healthy choices. I'm battling cravings and withdrawal symptoms at the moment. I'm really struggling, but next week is a new start. I know what you mean, I wouldn't have made it this far at all without support from these forums! :)
just a girl

there are explanations for your withdrawals and cravings and i think if you could understand more about why you are having them, you would be able to avoid them.

I've been posting some articles on seratonin, insulin, fibre and lip tin from a website called nutrition world. The articles are in-depth and well written. The may need rereading a second time beucaes there is a a lot to take in but if you do i think you would be helping yourself a lot.

I suggest the seratonin and insulin articles particularly but also the leptin one. the fibre on is good less from the point of view of mood things like cravings. It took me a few days to read them all and so far i haven't yet found any better source of info on this stuff.

For myself to avoid cravings here's what i do:
1. sleep well and try to go to bed fairly early
2. avoid all refined sugars
3. be aware of stress and disappointment and take special care to nurture myself with good self talk.
4. eat my meals fairly close together. If there are not enough calories in them for my activities, i may find myself getting a bit hungry and then i would eat something low calorie like fruit, sandwich, or a glass of wine or whatever depending on how hungry i am and how far it is to the next meal and how big is the danger of breaking my diet.
5. don't reduce calories too much. Keep the calorie deficit fairly small.
6. for greater satisfaction with your foods, eat more fruit and vegies, more fibre and keep the protein level up to where it should be. at around 25% of calorie intake. I've had to adjust my protein intake and i'm working through some of that now. Its hard for a vegetarian.
7. avoid processed foods and takeaways as much as possible because they are high in salt and low in satiety and nutrition.

Good luck

mars735
03-17-2014, 12:20 AM
just a girl

there are explanations for your withdrawals and cravings and i think if you could understand more about why you are having them, you would be able to avoid them.

I've been posting some articles on seratonin, insulin, fibre and lip tin from a website called nutrition world. The articles are in-depth and well written. The may need rereading a second time beucaes there is a a lot to take in but if you do i think you would be helping yourself a lot.

I suggest the seratonin and insulin articles particularly but also the leptin one. the fibre on is good less from the point of view of mood things like cravings. It took me a few days to read them all and so far i haven't yet found any better source of info on this stuff.

For myself to avoid cravings here's what i do:
1. sleep well and try to go to bed fairly early
2. avoid all refined sugars
3. be aware of stress and disappointment and take special care to nurture myself with good self talk.
4. eat my meals fairly close together. If there are not enough calories in them for my activities, i may find myself getting a bit hungry and then i would eat something low calorie like fruit, sandwich, or a glass of wine or whatever depending on how hungry i am and how far it is to the next meal and how big is the danger of breaking my diet.
5. don't reduce calories too much. Keep the calorie deficit fairly small.
6. for greater satisfaction with your foods, eat more fruit and vegies, more fibre and keep the protein level up to where it should be. at around 25% of calorie intake. I've had to adjust my protein intake and i'm working through some of that now. Its hard for a vegetarian.
7. avoid processed foods and takeaways as much as possible because they are high in salt and low in satiety and nutrition.

Good luck

Pattience, I'm so glad you found a good source for insulin, leptin, etc. info. I read your question about insulin on another thread & couldn't manage to type a coherent answer. It's amazing what has been uncovered about hormones and eating behavior and mood-- kind of liberating in a way. I like your 7 suggestions very much. Although I was a 'protein person' with weight loss, I'm trying to come to terms with carbs on maintenance. How are you managing protein intake as a vegetarian?

Pattience
03-17-2014, 03:26 AM
Hi Mars

Right now as we speak i'm eating a split pea green soup. I found out yesterday that split peas have 20 grams of protein per 100grams raw peas so i based my recipe one having 100grams per serve. See my thread if interested in the recipe.

Just before i had a cup of shredded vegies i bought in a packet with only balsamic vinegar on it.

I might need to eat some fruit later because i am going out and will probably feel hungry when i'm coming home.

The soup is pretty yummy.
But i will be eating more red lentils too which are also high in protein and i like them too. Couldn't get any in the supermarket today though. I'll have to go to the asian shop which sells lots of those sorts of products at a much better price than the supermarket.

Im just going to try having an egg at breakfast. Today i had one fried egg,on wholegrain toast, plus 1/2 cup yoghurt and a pear in together. It was a yummy breakfast.

Lunch was a can of sardines in a sandwich.

Today i don't have time to prepare foods much because i am out a lot. I'm heading out again in 40 minutes for the evening.

So i will try to eat more beans and lentils things. two meals a day if possible. There'll be a lot of vegies in one of them at least.
And more eggs. I might cut down on cows milk and increase yoghurt and try goast milk which is more expensive but is better for the animals and has higher protein than cows milk.

I will still have pasta and rice dishes but just try to make more of my meals bean/lentil based. I don't want to keep adding fish to my diet.

Oh i also bought peanuts and sunflower seeds. I will put sunflower seeds on my breakfast yoghurt. It will all be tricky keeping the calories down but i am not worrying too much about that right at the moment, while i am trying to solve my other problems going on right now.

Main thing re my diet is keep on sticking to the foods i chosen i can eat and eat healthy and not over do it. I'm finding it pretty easy to stick to my food regime but actually losing needs a bit more focus and attention which i can't' give it right now. I mean i can sit here and waste time on the computer but haven't got spare psychological energy for it.

Yes its hard to articulate what one knows about these hormones. They are complex matters. Yes i find it helpful knowing more. I don't like it that they have to do experiments on animals but that is what happens.

if you read that insulin article, i think it vaguely indicates how you can manage, although if you are diabetic or insulin resistant then i would take the advice of a dietician. I also found out that there is a difference between nutritionists and dieticians. The dieticians are better qualified. A bit higher up on the hierarchy. I know they often are employed in hospitals.

I didn't include any exercise in my list. I know its important but until i can fit it in, without adding stress or pressure to my day, its not part of the program, though i am doing it sometimes. Walking the dog and gardening. Just not registering it as DONE MY EXERCISE TODAY ETC. or must do three times a week and so on. I can't deal with that right now. I just do it when i want to.

Also small amounts of cheese and nuts to make things tasty and for a little extra protein.

Dollydimple
03-17-2014, 06:39 AM
Yesterday, day 3 was a bit like a school exam. I knew it was coming, I knew I wasn't going to like it and I knew I couldn't get out of it. But I also knew that after 24 hours it would go and here I am day 4 and tail up and wagging. I found your post on hormones really fascinating and helpful Pattience and also thanks Mars for sharing. I am learning so much from everyone on here.

Day 4 as I said, and just 3 shakes todat and a meal this evening. I'm having fish with a few veggies.
W.I. day for me is Friday morning.

diamondgeog
03-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Dolly,

It gets so much better so quickly. You are literally changing yourself on the cellular level. From carb burning for fuel to fat burning for fuel. Then you can reap the benefits of that.

I personally never went really low on carbs but am definitely low carb high fat. Don't forget the fat. Filling and important for health.

MauiKai
03-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Bereavement can really unhinge you. In a really bad streak, last year I lost three close relatives and it pretty much undid all my WL work. I had trouble caring about eating right or doing anything when all I could do was sit in a wash of grief. Good for you for pulling yourself up and starting down the right path!

MauiKai
03-17-2014, 08:00 AM
GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!

Firstly, I don't think I've ever met a friendlier and more encouraging bunch of folk than on here. Canadians Americans Australians and New Zealanders, I swear would take their shoes off and give them to you if you didn't have any. I have either visited their countries or worked with them and they were extremely easy to work with and a laugh a minute. Thank you so much for the support.. Right, upwards and onwards.

This morning I woke up with the 'third day carb withdrawal' headache. I was warned about this happening, and told that it was common on very low carb diets. Funny though, here I am with only 4 sachets of the formula a day and I don't feel hungry. I was also told that from today on, I will start to feel better. Hope so, because it is only8.50am and I feel so aweful I could go back to bed and pull the covers over my head

Oh yes...when I did a low carb plan I did ok until the third day. Then I promptly developed a migraine and involuntarily purged. Then it got better. Hoping it goes easier on you!

Pattience
03-17-2014, 08:18 AM
I think you mean the article on hormones right? I hope its that because i am sure i don't say anything terribly clarifying.

Anyway glad you are have got over the worst. I wish you well.

Dollydimple
03-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Sorry Pattience. I did mean hormones. That's what comes from writing on an empty head. My neighbour has just been diagnosed with diabetes so that's why I had insulin on my mind

Dollydimple
03-18-2014, 04:05 AM
Here I am on Day 5 and haven't cheated. And if you knew me well, you'd realize what a rare thing that is

Dollydimple
03-20-2014, 04:28 AM
Tomorrow morning is weigh in day for me, and I'm getting a bit nervous. I haven't felt hungry since day 3 so I hope it is working. I'll be happy to lose about 4-5 lbs. But to be honest, so long as I've lost a bit I shall be happy. I'd never heard of this new 'shake the weight' diet. My pal found it on line. It is, I believe, a British company, only sold on line, no sales people and much cheaper than Cambridge. The only downside, as far as I csee, is that you only have shakes, no soup. It is absolutely delicious. I hope so much, that I can lose a good bit of weight this first week, because I don't want to come off it

Pattience
03-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Good luck with tomorrow but it would be better not to imagine you should lose x amount. You just don't know what factors are in play.

And don't make a big deal of weighing yourself. Its a recipe for disappointment, if not now, later one.

Its great you have not cheated. Keep working on your resolve to avoid doing it. If you feel you want to cheat, have a back up plan so you eat something better instead of something you my regret.

Dollydimple
03-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Week 1 weigh in

I have lost 10lbs. 10lbs in a week!. I know it’s only a flea bite in the amount I have to lose, and most of it is water weight but I’m absolutely thrilled. In the weeks to come I’m sure there will be disappointing results, and some weeks when I won’t have lost so much as an ounce. But I hope I can keep this positive ‘I can do it’ resolve. I hope on the weeks I don’t lose much I will lose inches, which will keep me on the straight and narrow.
I’d like to start a diary/journal, but I doubt I’ve been here long enough to do that just yet.

Pattience
03-21-2014, 04:41 AM
I came here to start a journal so i don't see why not. If you invite others to join, the mods will be even more chuffed. I found it hard to know where to put mine so i put it in the vegetarian section. I am now in the food talk section because mostly my journal is about what i eat.

On the fibre counters page, some posters post all their meals. I like knowing what other people eat and i like sharing what i eat. Of course if i see people eating bad things whilst thinking they are good, i find it difficult to ignore. But if someone acknowledges it then i can cope. But that's my stuff i know.

You could just make this your journal right here, since you started this thread and its got your story here from the beginning. That's what' i'd suggest anyway. But of course its not up to me.

Congratulations for doing so well this last week. Stick to your plan and you should have no regrets.

Resolve is something that you work. When things are going well, you strengthen yourself and when things are tough, you dig your heals in and use the resolve and progress you've made to date to help stick to the path.

I am not much good when i fall off so i work hard to avoid it.

Dollydimple
03-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Thanks P. I would far rather keep this going, than start a journal, but I didn't know if it was allowed and you had to do it in a special place. When I've been here 20 days I can get a ticker. I've never done before, but there is info on a FAQ so I can follow that.

Pattience
03-21-2014, 08:20 AM
At least you've got the right sort of title.

Dollydimple
03-23-2014, 04:00 AM
BAD day yesterday
Was I glad to go to bed last night! What a day, I was tempted by the 'munchie goblins' all day and had a longing for something sweet. I ate a couple of apples, cleaned my teeth, drank loads of water and consequently was up piddling half the night. At 11pm I had a toffee... no big deal. Look at the size of me, then look at a little toffee.:D
Today is a new day, yesterday is in the past. At least I didn't give in and end up face down in a box of doughnuts.
My husband treated me to a new summer skirt yesterday. It is a little 'snug' and, as he said, try it on every week, and as I see it get looser, it will give me encouragement.
Off to have my breakfast shake now. Tail up and wagging

Dollydimple
03-24-2014, 03:21 AM
What a dreadful day it was yesterday! My husband had some dental work done at our local hospital a week last Thursday. Yesterday, Sunday, he woke up with the left side of his face up like a balloon and very sore. To cut a long story short, we had to go back to the hospital and because it was Sunday, had to wait for a consultant dentist to come in. We were there all morning. The problem is that my husband is on anticoagulants following a coronary and that is why our dentist didn't want to do this rather difficult extraction.
Anyway! I had made contingency plans for bad days, but they all went to pot yesterday and I had a chicken sandwich out of the machine AND a glass of milk. So what? I'm not in a race, this week has turned out to be put politely, challenging.

brneyes
03-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Please let me know what you think of Ideal Protein and if its worth trying. Who had done the diet? Have you kept the weight off? I need to loose approx. 30-40 pounds. Thank You

Pattience
03-24-2014, 05:33 AM
Dolly, I think a chicken sandwich and a glass of milk is nothing to be upset about. I think its a great solution to hunger when you haven't got food about.

brneyes, Dolly is only just starting how can she answer your question. Personally its not an approach i would take. Its expensive, you have to survive on 1000 calories a day which is very stressful for the body and is difficult if you are not highly motivated. Most of the bought food from what i gather reading posts around here is not very good tasting. I can't see how you can learn to eat well and healthily on this diet. But there are a few people doing it. My bet is they are a minority.

There are much easier ways to lose weight in my opinion.

Dollydimple
03-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm awfully sorry brneyes but I'm on a UK liquid(ish) diet. Its 3-4 shakes a day but also allowed food. It's not a starvation diet and teaches you to make healthy eating choices. For example: I had a shake for breakfast, another shake for lunch with homemade soup (no bread) and this evening I shall have smoked cod broccoli and cauliflower. And mid evening I shall have another shake for supper.

I don't know the diet you are on, but I do know people who are doing the same diet as me, and just doing 3 days of 4 shakes only to kick start, then shakes with a low carb low fat high protein evening meal.

No one can say how much you will lose in a week, its impossible. My first week (last week) I aimed for 4-5 and had a lovely surprise when I lost 10. But that is just a fleabite in the whole amount I have to lose and I'll not lose 10 in a week again because so much of it was water weight.

The very best of luck to you. Please let me know what you decide and keep in touch

Pattience
03-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Oh i thought that IP was 1000 cals per day in the first few weeks. My mistake if you are not doing that.

Dollydimple
03-25-2014, 04:15 AM
All I will say is this:

A 3 toed sloth only come down from the trees to poo once every 3 weeks....
.... I know exactly how that sloth feels. I am bunged up solid:mad:

Pattience
03-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Oh your poor thing. I live with that condition all the time. Well not so bad at the moment. Get some psyllium fibre. Its got no calories. Don't take too much. But you can take this every day.

Mix in water. work up to taking about 1 dessertspoon probably. The first time i tried it after being recommended it by my doctor i hated it so didn't do it for a while. But then it became not such a big deal. It doesn't really taste like anything but it is a gel stuff. You can mix it with your shake if it wouldn't ruin it too much.

You know its never mentioned but i am coming around to the idea that fat is one thing that helps us avoid constipation.

And of course the other is fibre. Soluble fibre is best.

I don't mean to comment to every time you post but it seemed necessary.

mars735
03-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Please let me know what you think of Ideal Protein and if its worth trying. Who had done the diet? Have you kept the weight off? I need to loose approx. 30-40 pounds. Thank You

There is a great forum for Ideal Protein that has great information and supportive posters. I did IP for 7 months and lost 85 lbs. I did it because I wanted a fast result before I got bored. The thing is that it is easy to regain the weight if you don't figure out a way to maintain that works for you. They do provide a lot of education about healthy eating, and in fact you eat 4 cups of veggies and a portion of regular protein every day & some oil, in addition to the packaged food. The maintenance phase is about keeping fats and carbs separated after breakfast. Most people I know figured out their own maintenance WOE. I've kept the weight off for 7 months.

Most people I know who did the diet loved the food, even after phasing off the diet. It is not a cheap diet. There are, however, alternative products that will mirror it. You can check the IP forum Alternatives threads. The thing about doing the genuine IP diet is that you have weekly weigh in with a coach. If it's a good coach, it's well worth the money to have that support if it fits your budget. However not all coaches are good. Also, it's not recommended for people with liver or kidney problems, so good idea to check in with a doctor before doing it.

Dollydimple, Hope all is well with your husband. Some suggestions that you probably already know: minimum of 2 liters water/day. I have the first liter when I wake up. Also, does your plan allow lettuce? If so, it's a big help. I ended up needing some more help than those things, though, and used Smooth Moves tea (peppermint flavor).

Dollydimple
03-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks Mars &Pattience ALL TIPS AND TRICKS gratefully received I can tell you.

Pattience you witch you:D That is exactly what was recommended to me by the chemist. I'm sucking down a dose as I write.

Dollydimple
03-26-2014, 04:22 AM
Optimistic Forward thinking

In the autumn (Fall) the new me should be emerging from the flab. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to get my wardrobe in order as well as my life. I have so many clothes, that I'm going to start again with just a core wardrobe. I have clothes that I've not worn for years and its time to get myself under control.
What to do with my 'fat' clothes is the thing. I've never been one to hedge my bets, but I'm a bit loath to give them all the charity. This isn't like me at all. However, I'm going to pack them all away in the attic 'just in case' If I keep them I know I'll stick to my new life. My friends say that by autumn I'll be glad to see the back of them because I'm so happy with the new me.

Pattience
03-26-2014, 07:05 AM
I usually just keep a couple of pieces. I've got a pair of stretch brown jeans that i have had for a really long time now. I don't need to wear them much even when i'm fat but i keep them because i really don't want to have to buy that sort of thing and they are useful in some situations. So i keep them.

I keep things i like but chuck out everything else. But not all at once. I wait for maybe one year and then chuck things out if they have been in storage too long.

I also keep skinny clothes in storage. They don't get a lot of use either. Fashions change.

Dollydimple
03-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who does that Pattience;)

nonameslob
03-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Hi Dolly! I'm new here, too. Sounds like you've got a great start, especially since you're involving a physician in your weight loss.

I've been struggling with the clothes thing lately. I have a stack that I either want to give to charity or try to sell or bring to a consignment shop (if I can find a place that will take my non-expensive clothes, even though they are in good shape!). I don't know what to do.

I am hanging on to just one pair of pants...the largest pair of pants I ever bought and fit into. I figure I will appreciate stepping into those and really seeing just how much I've lost. The last time I lost weight, I got rid of my bigger clothes and had to buy new clothes when I re-gained. But that was a bit of a slap in the face that woke me up and made me realize I had to get myself into control...

I am really glad I kept so many of my "skinny" clothes, mostly slacks for work and jeans. I've recently added 2 more pairs of slacks and 2 pairs of jeans to my rotation! So I only really need to buy some blouses. Plus, the style of slacks and jeans don't change too much over time :)

Blackantsnpeonys8
03-26-2014, 09:36 PM
I am new here and I too am just starting. I am around 276#,this is my[U] first ever diet.
I will encourage you. I will probably need it too. I am feeling a bit insecure, but I have to do this too. My husband says he will be here for me thru this too. I start on Monday with alternative products and doing the Ideal Protein diet. What about you?

Dollydimple
03-27-2014, 03:11 AM
Yeah! Safety in numbers girls. I'm so glad to meet the two of you. I am doing 'Shake the weight' Its a UK firm and sold via the internet. It has had good results and has stood up well when analyzed. As far as I can make out, it is the same as the Ideal Protein diet.

I am not doing it as my sole support. I have 3 shakes a day and a healthy low fat low carb meal at night. Because I lost 10lbs last week, my doctor has told me to slow up a bit this week and aim for 2-3lbs loss (by tomorrow) So I've added a couple of hard boiled eggs for breakfast this week. Next week I can go back to week 1 regime.

Yes, I too have a fat wardrobe and a very limited thin one!
Good luck. I'll post my weight loss tomorrow, but I'm not expecting a huge one, Mind you, when we gain a pound its the end of the world isn't it, lose one and it seems next to nothing!

Dollydimple
03-28-2014, 03:09 AM
Three pounds off this week. I'm doing the happy dance over here :carrot:

Dollydimple
03-30-2014, 03:56 AM
Feeling a bit down this morning. It is Mother's Day here and my mum died on Jan 6th. Although it was a happy release (end stage dementia) and expected because she was 94, this is the first Mother's day, in 64 years, I've not had a mum. Our only child, our daughter died in 2010 so Mother's day, Father's Day Christmas, birthdays etc are not the happy milestones through the year they used to be.
I have picked a bunch of Spring flowers from the garden and put them by a photo of my mum and our daughter

I will have been here 20 days tomorrow and I hope I can get my ticker after that.

Dollydimple
03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
A quiet week for me, no big obstacles ahead, so can stick to the regime OK. Day 21 of being on the forum, still not able to have a ticker, but maybe before the end of the week?

Dollydimple
04-01-2014, 02:41 AM
Still no ticker! I don't think they want me.

Dollydimple
04-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Well, I've got me ticker but I'm damned if i can get it to show up. Still persevere Dolly. Persevere.

Dollydimple
04-01-2014, 08:25 AM
I've managed it. Oh Yeah:carrot::carrot:

Pattience
04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
How's it going Doll? I see you've got your ticker working now. I can't dance along with you cause those little fellas are not showing up without an effort on my part.

When you get lonely over here, come and join us on the fibre eaters thread if you like.

I have a couple of regular threads. I just had to drop one because it took tOO much effort. I felt a bit bad about that as everyone had been so welcoming.

Anyway as i'm subscribed to your thread, i shall be popping in from time to time.

Dollydimple
04-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks Pattience. I'll nip across now and bookmark it

Dollydimple
04-02-2014, 03:58 AM
Very, very, hungry last evening, which I have put down to not having half enough water yesterday. We had to go to town and by way of cut backs in the recession, our council has closed all the public loos. So I was 'careful' in what I drank.
I didn't fall off the wagon, I filled up on apples but it was a nasty evening

Pattience
04-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Well done. You should carry some food and water around with you. Especially water.

I think its called fibre counters and i gave you the wrong info about the subscription thing. Try using the search engine for subscribing to threads. or look in the forum help forum where i asked the same question.

Dollydimple
04-02-2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks P. You are an absolute pal. Have sorted it all out thanks to you. Love Doll

Dollydimple
04-03-2014, 03:18 AM
Clothes feeling 'roomy' today so hope to have 2- 3 lbs off by tomorrows weigh in.
I could do this regime, sole support but as I'm 64 I want to take it slower and my doctor and dietician agree. No more than 4 lbs a week, and aim for 2 lbs.

It is such a cheap (compared to Cambridge) version and the shakes and soups are delicious.

Pattience
04-03-2014, 03:35 AM
Doing good. Patience will get you there in the long haul.
REad the article on leptin in nutrition world and you will understand why.

Also the one on seratonin.

Dollydimple
04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Excellent articles. They explain a lot Thanks for pointing me towards them

Dollydimple
04-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Four pounds off:carrot::D:carrot::D:carrot:

Well on my way to my second stone

Dollydimple
04-05-2014, 03:00 AM
Big milestone yesterday. My husband and I used to love hill walking. We haven't been out walking for four years, and sure couldn't handle hills just yet. But yesterday, the sand pollution had been blown out to the North Sea (and good riddance to it) It was a beautiful day and we went for a walk in the country lanes near our home. No cars, no traffic sounds just the birds in the hedgerows and the sound of sheep and cattle in the fields.
Farmers have cut down on spraying so there were beautiful wild flowers along our route.
We both slept like logs last night.

Dollydimple
04-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Went to a table sale yesterday at a Sports Academy near our house. I was doing ever so well until just before we came home I succumbed to a cup of coffee and a fairy cake ( small cup cake, less frosting) I'm not going to beat myself up, I thoroughly enjoyed it, it wasn't a bag of fish and chips or a takeaway just a very small cake.

Dollydimple
04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Will just be posting here once a week now, on W.I. day

Dollydimple
04-12-2014, 02:30 AM
2lbs off this week. Had a bit of a wobble on Thursday, but managed to get back on track.

We go on holiday for 3 weeks in May and when I get back I shall move to another forum. I've been lurking (as they say) there for a while and it is much more supportive and interactive than this one. I'm doing well, but no doubt will gain a bit on holiday so will probably need a bit of geeing up to get back into the groove and this forum here won't do it.

Dollydimple
04-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Awwww Toot!:mad:

Went away for the day yesterday. I took a sachet, water and a battery operated blender with me, and also some chicken breast just in case. What happened? I had a lasagne in a restaurant.:(