40-Somethings - 40-Somethings March Chat Thread!!

View Full Version : 40-Somethings March Chat Thread!!

newleaf123
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Hi, Everyone!! Welcome to March's chat!! You know what to do...

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

newleaf123
03-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Oh.My. How long has it been since I've checked in?? I really need to get back to it. I've been so busy with the new job. It was published as 20 hours a week, but that really hasn't been the case and I've been working a ton. All good, though.

Nothing else new. Still figuring out how not to eat too much when I get home. Still trying to work in exercise. Still waiting for winter to be over.

So, what's the good news? Well, my clothes seem to fit so I'm doing okay weight-wise. I guess I should weigh myself, ugh. And the really good news??? Today makes 51 days and counting of NO CANDY!!

I'll try to get caught up over the next few days if I can...

Hi to all my friends here, old and new. I miss you!

Mrs Snark
03-06-2014, 08:52 AM
There you are, glad to hear things going well! 51 days with no candy -- you're a hero!

Sum38
03-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Heidi and Mrs S are back! I have missed you ladies!!

Where is everyone else???

I have taken a diet break :( I took 3 weeks off from exercise and somehow my eating followed the suit. Some days have been excellent, others have been horrible. I am recommitting today. I made my meal plan, and I will hit the gym (hard). I think I will be eating the same lunch every day for the unseen future, just to keep things simple and my fridge stocked. I will rotate my dinner with chicken/fish/pork/lean beef.

I have come way too far, in a relatively short period of time to give up now or get too relaxed. I am not at goal yet :) I have "sisu", please google it :) In short Sisu is something that Finns are proud of. It is basically stubbornness. Not giving up, doing the impossible regardless of obstacles. I come from a nation of sisu, so defeat is not an option :D

I have gained 3.4 pounds, in short I have not lost anything since February 1st. I am sure my 3.4 pounds is all fat. It could be a lot worse though. Some of the clothes that were getting loose at 138 pounds, feel snugger now.

So Here to a new start :cheers:

mezmerelda
03-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Holy cow, I can't believe it's March!

Just too busy at work right now. And dealing w/an annoying, whiny DH, although I should be supportive. He's getting a root canal today. I don't know why he can't just deal w/the pain in silence like I do. I don't really want to know when it changes, and all the different places in his mouth that he feels like. I need to work on my supportive wife schtick.

ames14
03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi Ladies... I been off and on.. Around here and there! lol.. I am happy to report I finally lost 10 lbs!!

took only 2 months! sad Sad Sad.. but I will take what I can.!

Good to see all your smiling faces..!! Hope March treats you all great!

LindaWW
03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I'm still here - and still stuck at 164. It's my own fault though - I have 2 good days followed by one bad day. I just can't seem to find that single-minded determination I had last year :( But every day I get up and try again. I'll try to post more often, maybe that will give me the incentive I need.

Mrs Snark
03-07-2014, 04:02 PM
We go to Colorado next week, and I have travel stress-and-worry about practically everything trip-related. Timing for this trip is turning out to be highly inconvenient for my body, but what can I do?

pppppfffffftttttttthhhhhpppttttt, that's what I have to say.:dizzy:

Sum -- sisu, huh? I'm going to borrow some of that from you and pretend to be a Fin for a while (I'll ignore my Irish heritage for the moment). I have no doubt you'll get back to where you want to be, hang in there.

ames -- CONGRATULATIONS! 10 pounds in 2 months is really great, certainly nothing to sniff at! WELL DONE! :carrot:

Linda -- Hang in there, at least you're getting those 2 good days, right? Imagine if you weren't getting any good ones! Give yourself credit for the good work on those days and just decide to start adding more "good" days, you can do it!

Mezmerelda -- it is pretty trying taking care of someone else, hang in there! (men really can be such babies, can't they?)

Edited to add: I believe I told pretty much every one of you to "hang in there", lol, so really, HANG IN THERE everybody!

FatAbbi
03-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Gave up diet soda for Lent. Staying strong but wow this will be the longest 40 days.

Mrs Snark
03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Abbi -- I was surprised how hard it was to give up diet soda. At this point, I do occasionally treat myself to a diet coke, but for the most part I'm staying away from it. The cravings for it were alot stronger than I expected.

Hang in there!

Mrs Snark
03-10-2014, 03:55 PM
We sure are quiet.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

;)

Magicsusan
03-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Sorry, Mrs Snark. Sometimes I find it hard to keep up! I've been hanging in the c25k thread a bit, since I just started that- and the running seems to have me holding h2o so I haven't had much to boast about, lately! I'm trying to concentrate on eating healthy and exercising right now, and not worry too much about the weight...

Mrs Snark
03-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Good job on the C25k, that's exciting! I did the same program, thought it was great and it turned me into lifelong runner. Every mile is something to boast about, in my opinion!

Magicsusan
03-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Or every meter, in my case; but I'm fine with it taking as long as it takes, as long as I keep moving forward. Literally.

Did you find yourself retaining water at first? If so, when will that stop? Don't like puffy fingers- I like running, but I could really do without this!

tky72
03-11-2014, 09:16 AM
New to the site but love the boards. So many great motivational people! :carrot: That is what we all need sometimes right? Just got back on the wagon after an 8 year "don't look don't care" attitude...bought a scale, recruited my family's help and am on my way to feeling better. That is the goal to feel better not so much get smaller (but that would be great too).

Have a great day ladies (& gents if there are any out there). ;)

Mrs Snark
03-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Welcome Tracy! You have a great attitude, it will serve you well over the long haul!

Magicsusan -- I usually only retain water when I walk or hike -- that's when my hands get tight and puffy. I guess when I run my hands are positioned high enough not to get that effect? No clue really why it happens in one case and not the other. I've never really found a way to reduce that effect, I already drink a ton of water daily, so I'm quite hydrated.

Sum38
03-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Gave into carbs today, sushi at Whole foods looked pretty good, and suprisingly it tasted pretty good too, being from Whole Foods that is...

ChicaCoy
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I am 3lbs. away from my 10lbs. a month mini goal. I am quite excited. How is everyone?

SMeeker71
03-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Still kind of new here and trying to get used to openly discussing my challenges. I have changed how and what I eat. I have given up soda, which was difficult for me, as I have been a heavy soda drinker for most of my life. I went from soda to sweet tea and some water. I am now mostly drinking water with lemon and some tea occasionally. Gone from a relatively sedentary life style to trying to make myself become more active. It's hard as I have two bad knees from a softball injury and a karate injury. Low impact just doesn't seem to be providing the results I am looking for, any suggestions?

Thanks ladies!

Sum38
03-13-2014, 01:27 PM
I am a restless soul. I have been "put" for 10 years. And loving it; raising kids, volunteering and giving back to the community. But now I feel restless. Kids are grown and I am ready to meet the world.

DH has wanted to move out of MI for years now, "anything but here".. I have been the one who kept us here because of the kids and school and community. Well now I am ready, and I want to move.

I want to go abroad. Like Asia, something totally different and new.

junem
03-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Well it has happened. I am no longer forty-something. Actually I love the idea put forth here previously, that I am forty-ten. I am trying really hard not to get caught up on a number. A lot of days I feel not a day over 28.

And I would have to say health-wise the glass is half-full. I weigh 20 lbs more than when I turned thirty, and 20 lbs lighter than when I turned forty-five.

But I am fitter than I have been in a long time. So on to my next decade I guess. TRYING TO GO FORWARD FEARLESSLY.

Sum. I find your wanderlust inspirational.

Smeeker do you have a bicycle?

SMeeker71
03-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Junem - I have actually been thinking about getting a bicycle. I don't think riding my motorcycle would do much good huh? :lol: I would love to get my husband involved with me, but I'm still working on him.

ChicaCoy - That's great, what are you doing to loose the 10lbs a month?

Tky72 - :welcome2: I'm still a newbie myself, and there is a lot of support here!

I started looking into the c25k, and I'm thinking I may try and see how it goes, I just need to get me a couple of good knee braces :)

Sum38
03-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Welcome all new comers, so nice to have you here!!

I finally climbed on that scale and it was exactly what I thought it would be; 143. A huge redline for me!! I have been lazy and I have noone else to blame but myself for the lack of progress. I have literally sat still since Feb 1st. I was 144.4 pounds back then. -- Wasted time.

If I want to get into those 6's by summer, comfortably, I need to start working on this weight loss thing again. I am not ready to maintain at and around 140 pounds.

I do feel quite comfortable in my body though. I have lost 25 pounds in a year and I do feel much better this March. Both physically and mentally.

So now I vow to get back on that wagon. I made my meal plan for the day and so far I am sticking to it :D -- It is the evening snack monster that gets me.

I am heading back to the gym as well; plan is to lift weights, power walk on treadmill for 1 hour and swim for 45 minutes. -- That routine helped me to drop 10 pounds quite quickly in December/January.

Life is going pretty well. I am in a happy place with myself. I am nicely busy with my volunteer work, have time for lunches with friends and of course for family. The only thing that I am not happy about is my relaxed eating and lack of exercise, lately.

Because it is tax time, I worked a budget for us for the upcoming year. I did not make it too strict, those usually fail.... I left some fun money for each month to play with :) -- I do have a whole wardrobe to buy once (IF) I hit that magical 125 pound number. I want to enjoy it and not be on a budget :) :)

Okee, off to the gym I go. Everyone have a beautiful and relaxing Sunday!

kelijpa
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Hello all, it's been awhile! Good to see old and new friends. March has been more of a maintenance month for me than I had planned, I guess if I look at how long it took me to get out of the last decade, this isn't so bad.

Happy belated birthday junem! welcome to the 40-tens :lol: like you I'm a lot fitter than other times in my life and truly enjoying that. I also very often don't feel my age, one day at work a guy told me I looked 35 with my hair in a ponytail, it took me a couple seconds to realize it was meant as a compliment, that's how much I don't think about my age I guess...

Newleaf glad the job is going well! Still waiting for spring to make an appearance here, snow squall this morning, supposed to be below 10 degrees tonight, hope this is the end of that.

To the C25K-ers, I think it's a great program, I didn't think I could run for half an hour, but the program (and the support of 3FC) got me there. Best of luck with it, I loved it

Smeeker I have a recumbent exercise bike, it doesn't feel like it's too hard on the knees, maybe some type of yoga, or Pilates might work for you.

Sum you have the sisu for sure, I can feel your determination!

MrsSnark enjoy your trip, hope all goes well, Colorado is beautiful.

Good catching up, best to all :sunny:

Magicsusan
03-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Mrs Snark, I meant whole body water retention. I know what you mean about the hands- I get that too, but it goes away quickly. I was wondering why I had such a weight-loss stall when I'd stepped up my exercise quite a lot but not really eaten that much more and googled something like "just started running, not losing any weight." There seemed to be a lot of people in the same boat and, as usual, several theories as to why that might be. Anyway, don't worry about it, I was just curious... I'm still running :running:

tky72, :welcome2: :coffee2: grab a cuppa and come on in!

Hi, Chicacoy! Haven't seen you in a while- it's sometimes hard to keep up. Congrats on nearing your goal!

Hello Smeeker! I'm feeling good doing the c25k. I can't tell you about your knees (of course, :lol:) but I haven't had any trouble with mine. I took these precautions: 1) Good running shoes, fit by professionals 2) I run in the forest, where the ground is quite springy and 3) I started by walking, up to 5k with quite some hills (total altitude change about 100meters) before I started running. I haven't lost a lot of weight since I started the actual running (lost about 40lbs from the walking and dumbbells, though) but I think there are other factors involved. Anyway, I have lost some, and I feel much better. There are a *load* of very useful running/c25k threads over in the exercise forum if you're thinking of trying. Good luck whatever you decide!

Sum, sometimes I wonder if our bodies need to plateau for a couple weeks just to let things... settle... dunno. I've been coasting for a while and will be going on holiday at the end of the month, so I'm hoping to break even when I get home- after that, "settling" is over, back to work! :coach::lifter::drill: About the clothing budget- I bought a piggy bank and put in ten francs for every pound lost. 420 francs so far!

Hi, Kelijpa. Are you a c25k grad too? There seem to be a lot of you! I hope to be one someday.

We have spring here. Actually, we pretty much skipped winter, as I think I mentioned in other threads (can't keep up, lol!) I'm hoping for some real results before fall since summer here means lots of free time for walkies and such, and lots of yummy fresh fruit and veg. Good strawberries put candy to shame, right, Heidi? :lol:

SMeeker71
03-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Saturday I tried day one of the c25k and thought I was going to die. I couldn't complete the whole set. That was discouraging. :mad: My knee didn't totally give out on me, but I did feel it after. I am going back to it this evening and give it another try. I refuse to give up!! :drill::drill: I have also been looking at bicycles!

I hope everyone is doing good and staying on course!!

Sum38
03-17-2014, 06:50 PM
I "belong" to a group of ladies that meet twice per month; once for a happy hour and then for a luncheon.

We are all in our mid 40's and early 50's...all except for one, have high school or college aged children. But the one has a 5 year old and she brings her child to these gatherings. -- I feel that it is inappropriate and I am not alone thinking this...what do you think?? Is it acceptable to bring a 5 year old along when no one else has children there?

newleaf123
03-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Waaaah, where did my post go?? Long story short, yeah, you've got to put up with the 5-year-old... Can you imagine going to playgroups with the 20-something moms??

Sum38
03-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Good point.

Our talks are just inappropriate at times for the ears of a 5 year old. She is a new comer to the group and the whole dynamics are changing and it is making some friends sad. -- I think the lady who organizes this group is going to have a chat with the mom and ask her not to bring the child along. She wants this a speak easy event. I guess this group started when the core group of moms were moms of toddlers and this was their night out with the girls without kids and she would like to keep it that way.

I see both sides of it. I am leaning towards it being a child free zone ( I too feel uncomfortable... eventhough I don't swear, but occationally I use inappropriate word like b1tchy or even sh1tty). I feel bad for the mom if she can not find sitters etc. She seems like a really nice lady and I would like to get to know her.

newleaf123
03-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Oh, I thought this was an old friend, someone who has always been coming to the group all these years, but just started her family much later. A newcomer?? Nah... find a sitter or find other mothers of 5-year-olds to socialize with. There must be some... I think it's tough to be so out of phase though, but not your problem.

The other thing from my missing post, yeah, I totally share the dream of up and moving somewhere exotic or interesting. I'm leaning more towards the interesting these days, over exotic. I would love to spend extended time (ie, months) in Alaska, and also in Peru.

Just got back from a brisk walk outside, this after doing 14 pushups. I'm trying...

Sum38
03-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I want to move to Asia. DH was born in Australia and I would love to see that part of the world. I have never been to Asia.

We lived in London as expats. Now I would love to live in Asia (like Hong Kong as an expat!), and maybe retire in southern America (Chile). DH loves Portugal (to retire) and my sister lives there. Mixed feelings about living close to my sister :)

I want to see the world before I die :)

The whole reason why we had kids early was that we could be able to and afford to travel :)

Mrs Snark
03-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Back from Colorado and my whole body hurts, from both fun things and the travel parts. I love being in new places, but I don't like the actual travel days, I need a teleporter, pronto.

I'd love the go to New Zealand and Australia, but the flight time is so off putting for me.

Sum38
03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Yes, the travel days are rough. -- We have opted to drive as much as we can. We find it more comfortable.

So I have a hair appointment coming up. I think I am getting rid of my golden locks and go darker with blonde and red highlights. What do you think? I have green eyes and the red usually looks really sharp on me.

I am tired of being this blond (pun intended ;)).

Sum38
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
<---- My avatar has me darker. I way blonder now. I was thinking sort of like my avatar and add those red high lights in.

Mrs Snark
03-19-2014, 01:33 PM
You look smashing in your avatar so I'm sure it would look great on you!

Sum38
03-19-2014, 02:39 PM
http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/New-Bob-Haircuts-for-2013.jpg

Hair

Sum38
03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Whatcha think?

Sum38
03-19-2014, 02:41 PM
And that is the cut I want as well.

newleaf123
03-19-2014, 04:27 PM
I think the hair is really pretty, and will look great on you sum!

Welcome home MrsSnark. Who watched the doggies in your absence? Did everyone do okay?

Mrs Snark
03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Love the hair SO stylish!

My mother brings her dog to my house and moves in while we are away, it's a 24 hour dog party! My furbabies love their gramma so everyone did great, I probably missed them more than they missed me!

newleaf123
03-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Glad you have such a great backup, mrsSnark!

Sum38
03-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Okay, my hair is really red. I love it though. The cut isn't as drastic either (as the picture); softer lines. My DH really likes it.

I fasted today. I have been so horrible what comes to my eating and what I have been eating that I decided to cut the cycle by fasting. I tried many days to fast, but I always ended up just eating junk. Today I succeeded. Yay. I am hoping that this will snap me back into my healthy eating.

I saw the ear doctor today, and I have a chronic ear infection and it has been infected for awhile. No wonder that I have felt so tired. He cleaned the ear and I can finally hear, woot! Gave me some drops and soothing lotion.

I went to the gym today, only walked on treadmill though, but fast for one hour. I was nice a sweaty afterwards.

I am definitely going back tomorrow and lifting weights. I think I dare not to swim yet, I will give a few days for this treatment to kick in. I will walk my pup though, so I will get a double workout :)

junem
03-24-2014, 12:24 AM
I made something called Monkey Bread for brunch today. THAT WAS A CALORIE MISTAKE. Tons of cinnamon and butter. DH wants me to make it again soon.

Remind me NOT to !!!

That being said, I love kneading dough. It's cheap therapy.

P.S. Love the red hi lights, Sum.

Sum38
03-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Sounds yummy, junem. I make this cinnamon roll type of bread/pastry called "pulla" in Finnish. It needs a lot of kneading and it is my least favorite part :D You could come over and knead it for me...lol -- I have very weak wrists and my hands tend to hurt if I over use them, and kneading really makes them ache.

Mrs Snark
03-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Monkey bread sounds delish. Thank goodness I hate cooking, no chance of it being made here!

Sum -- will we see a pic of the new hair, dying to see it!?! No pressure ;)

archychick
03-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I've been back and forth from here. I have really missed this place!

I started WW last year, but things got so crazy with work and life that I got lost. So, I've re-organized and have been staying on plan - even during the most stressful time of the year for me! So far, I've lost 10 lbs. :)

There is more activity for me now. I've been in a bellydancing troupe for the last two years and signed up to perform my first solo (more practice!) this summer as well as a few seminars to give. Also this May I am graduating and going to France. So, two impetuses to get this weight off me.

My goal is to re-create a healthier, active lifestyle that becomes natural habit by the end of the summer, regardless of what life throws at me.

Cheers to all of your accomplishments and ((HUGS)) for all of your challenges!

Mrs Snark
03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Welcome back Archychick! Many of us have left only to return months or years later!

Belly dancing is amazing, I imagine it is a great work out when you do it right! I have jokingly tried to perform an untrained person's version of a belly dance for my husband that had us both in stitches because I have no ability to control my hips or stomach apparently. I looked like I was convulsing or maybe had ants in my pants. Not quite the effect I was going for, lol! ;)

archychick
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Oh, Mrs Snark, bellydance is a GREAT way to safely work your core. Due to that, it is an exercise that can be done far into the golden years. At one of the festivals at which I perform, there is a 70+ yo woman that dances with a candleabra on her head - kneeling on the ground! I suggest taking a class or two. It has kept me very flexible, graceful and strong, even though I haven't lost much weight since I started (don't practice as much as I should). I recommend it for anyone interested. This supportive dance community is made up of people of all shapes, sizes, ages etc.

Congratulations on surpassing your goal, by the way! Nice work!

newleaf123
03-25-2014, 09:27 AM
ArchyChick I think your goal My goal is to re-create a healthier, active lifestyle that becomes natural habit by the end of the summer, regardless of what life throws at me. is awesome! Welcome back!

Sum38
03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Welcome back archychick

Sum38
03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
More snow for us. Now I don't even care anymore :D Spring seems to be eternally postponed.

What did you do in CO, Mrs. S? Did you venture out to the hills at all?
Which cities did you visit?

I am looking at the weekend weater forecast and we are supposed to get up to 56F and sunny on Sunday. Feels surreal. Doggie will get a bath if it gets that warm. She is really smelly :( Get all that winter gunk of her, she won't be happy. She says she is just starting to smell lovely :D

I slept in late, again. I don't know why I keep doing that; I guess because I can. I did not stay up that late either. 10 am kinda messes up with my day and plans.

It is ovulation time and I feel b-l-o-a-t-e-d. Scale jumped up a pound too, even after a fast day. Just gotta breathe and not get to hang up on daily fluctuations, right? My mind is ready to "diet" again, I wish my body agreed. I just want to get out of these 140's and firmly plant myself into the 130's.

I am itching to shop for some summer clothes, but I would like to see where I am at once summer gets here. Will I be able to slip into 4's or will I stay at the 8's I am at right now....

I keep forgetting to have someone take a picture of my hair, and I hate selfies. They are always too close and my face looks funny :D Maybe I just look funny period :D Today I look like a storm when through my hair, so picture ain't happening.

Hoping that you have a beautiful day my friends!

Mrs Snark
03-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Sum - we were in Boulder and then in the Golden and Lakewood areas. We hiked every day and we also went to the Red Rocks amphitheater and "ran" up those steps. I about threw up my lungs.

On my travel day coming back I got up early and ran 5k on the hotel's treadmill (since I knew the whole rest of the day would be spent in airports and on planes). Up until that moment I mostly thought the hard effort of hiking was due to the inclines, but I really felt the effect of the altitude while doing my regular run on the treadmill.

I loved Co, I love the mountains. It is such a different landscape from where I live.

I bet you don't look funny in selfies -- we are always our own worse critic!

Sum38
03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
When we were at CO, our host took us for a 6 mile difficult hike on our first day, I thought I was going to pass out because I could not get enough air. After 10 days I was used to the thin air :)

kelijpa
03-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hello, waiting for something to load on my computer... Looks like everyone is doing great :sunny:

archychick
03-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Sum: I know what you mean about shopping. I need to, however I know that I will have a significant weight loss by then. You're going to be in those 4s! Mind over waistline! lol Take the selfie, we won't laugh. I bet you look faboo.

Mrs. Snark: I loved living in CO. The mountains and rock formations are so beautiful. What a great place to hike, but yeah, there is a lot of altitude! You have a good idea there, exercising right before travel. I'm going to remember to do that as well. Gets the blood moving through the extremities too. I get so swollen on long journeys.

Hiya! to newleaf & kelijpa :)

Shannonsnail
04-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Is there an April thread?

Jcw1973
04-07-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm new to the site and love hearing all the news and advice...thanks ladies. I'm currently on the Ideal Protein diet ... Anyone have any advice on travelling while dieting?