Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat January 19 - January 26

BillBlueEyes
01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Tempus fugit and all that. Today's a holiday in the U.S. to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. So, I was out late last night and am dawdling about this morning.

I'm now the only person in the snow belt who now wants some snow - to exercise my new snow thrower. I'm stuck with this fear that it'll never snow again since I've finally bought the monster to fight back with.

But I don't have to eat because of lack of snow, LOL. Nor eat because the New England Patriots aren't going to the Super Bowl (American football).

apo9
01-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Good morning all you bright shining faces.Time to drink my whey protein breakfast,pack my boiled egg and cucumber for lunch and clean off the car because it snowed again last night and head off to work.Will check in again tonight when I get back.

Mudpie
01-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Good Morning all! :wave:

Bill C'mon up here with that snow thrower - I've got lots of snow to use it on.

Good day all - have to clean off the front walk and car and be off.

Dagmar :brr:

paperclippy
01-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Good morning! We had more snow this weekend too though not as much as last time. It's supposed to get down to subzero temps this week AGAIN but at least this time those are the lows, not the highs. Babies slept well last night so all is right with the world. :lol:

silverbirch
01-20-2014, 09:35 AM
JayEll mentioned the Minnesota starvation experiment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25782294) recently. This is a good article about it. It also mentions other experiments which US and UK Second World War conscientious objectors were involved in, and starvation in the **** concentration camps.

ETA - I see the moderating robot has taken out one of the words I used. It begins with N, third letter Z. There are two vowels, A and I.

Shannon in ATL
01-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I can't believe it took out that word, Birchie.

Yes, MLK Day here in the US, which isn't a holiday at my company. DH is off today and home with the pest control guy who I scheduled for today forgetting it was a holiday.

traveling michele
01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Welcome Rita! Glad you've joined us.
I have the day off and will be celebrating with an early dental appointment followed by a dermatologist appt. Debating getting a double workout in as it didn't happen this morning.

I'll come back later to report on my meetup group at the Mexican restaurant plus I spoke at a weight watchers meeting yesterday so I was definitely out of my comfort zone this weekend.

alinnell
01-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the reminder that today is a holiday! I can just imagine myself driving up to the bank to deposit our money for our payroll account and wondering why no one responds to my service call.

I guess that means I won't wait around all day for the mailman, either.

All is not right in my world today. It started when my flat iron refused to warm up. Thankfully I had my travel one, but it's this itsy-bitsy little thing that was perfect when I had super short hair, but now that it's getting long again it didn't work too great. I'll be stopping this afternoon for a new one.

DS is home for the long weekend. He was going to go see a movie with friends on Saturday so I didn't feel bad leaving him to go play golf. Well, we got home and he said the plans fell through so he was home alone (with the animals). I felt bad but he said it was nice just being home.

We went to see American Hustle yesterday. That was pretty funny and very enjoyable.

mars735
01-20-2014, 11:27 AM
JayEll mentioned the Minnesota starvation experiment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25782294) recently. This is a good article about it. It also mentions other experiments which US and UK Second World War conscientious objectors were involved in, and starvation in the **** concentration camps.

ETA - I see the moderating robot has taken out one of the words I used. It begins with N, third letter Z. There are two vowels, A and I.

I can't fathom why the 4 letter word with letters nzi be censored. Maybe some folks would rather we all pretend it didn't happen?

paperclippy
01-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Funny that that word was censored. I imagine it's so that people won't use it to insult each other??

CherryPie99
01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Good Tuesday morning everyone!

I had yesterday off for the Martin Luther King holiday and we went to "Destiny USA" and had a look at the new outlet stores that are there in Syracuse.

Today I woke up to -31 degrees with a "feels like" -50. I am really trying to keep a positive attitude, but this is the winter that won't die!!

Hope everyone out there is able to stay warm and safe!

Jen

ICUwishing
01-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Jen - good grief, that's freakin' cold! I hear you about the attitude - I looked ahead at the 5-day forecast and there's just no relief. I sure hope this is just an abnormal winter and not a trend; I'm not sure my psyche is geared for this. :crazy:

michele, I'm curious about your weekend! I hope you had fun!

bill, you can have the snow. I think Murphy is messing with you. :D

Got the call yesterday - the bathroom renovation begins Monday. Eek! I'm just going to go with the flow and treat this as a great opportunity to sort through all the stuff hidden in the bathroom vanity, to sift out the clothes I don't wear, don't like, or can't fit into, and to re-home all the "lost" things that are on the top shelf because they don't seem to belong anywhere. And I will not hyperventilate. I might drink, however. ;) I make faster (though perhaps not better) decisions with a glass of wine.

alinnell
01-21-2014, 11:15 AM
All you in the midwest and eastern seaboard--stay warm! And think positive thoughts that this weather phenomena will end soon. As a result of the high pressure system here, we're in a serious drought. No snow or rain much at all last year and nothing this year, too. It's not pretty.

RE: sifting through things--I need to do a pantry cleaning! I "know" there are items that are in there and yet I cannot find them. After that, I suppose a good closet cleaning is in order. If only there were time to do both. I think I may have to take a day or two off of work and/or golf to accomplish these things.

And DD has set her wedding date of July 23rd so now I have to do some travel planning (ie, fly or drive, where to stay, etc.). The thing is compounded by the fact that she wants the reception in Sequim, WA the weekend after the wedding, so that means a trip to Napa, a trip to Seattle area and then back. I don't have the confidence to book flights like this without running into huge costs. And I found a wonderful B&B just 7 miles from the winery where the wedding will be but DD apparently wants us all to stay at the same place and she doesn't think her fiance's family can afford the B&B. DH and I are going to count this as our vacation, so I'd really like to stay at a nice place rather than a hotel.

traveling michele
01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Jen - good grief, that's freakin' cold! I hear you about the attitude - I looked ahead at the 5-day forecast and there's just no relief. I sure hope this is just an abnormal winter and not a trend; I'm not sure my psyche is geared for this. :crazy:

michele, I'm curious about your weekend! I hope you had fun!

Yes, Jen-- I can't imagine that cold. I thought it was cold here in the 30s (and it is still warming up to the 60s or 70s this week).

Overall, great weekend! Super busy! Got a ton done but not everything-- I wanted to fit in some breaking bad but ran out of time, along with getting Dewey's toenails clipped and a few other things.

So, Saturday was the meet up group for the book club at the Mexican Restaurant. There were 12 or 13 of us there. Everyone seemed very nice and I had a good time. I chatted with the ladies near me and I don't think I came off as super shy. I abstained from the alcohol and chips and had soup and salad. I bought the book off amazon while at the table (for the next meeting) as I decided that I'd love to give the group a whirl. So now I have to get the book and read it before Feb. 9 and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all. Late night for me following by an early Sunday....

Sunday I went to my "old" weight watchers meeting that I worked at. It's been almost two years since I quit. I was the motivational lifetime speaker. Nervous but it went well. I brought my fat pants which helped to remind me that even though I've gained some, I've come a long way. Lots of old members were there and it was good to see them. I'm glad I don't have to get up early every Sunday morning anymore though. The rest of Sunday was busy with exercise, errands, etc.

Yesterday I had the day off and was uber productive! 8:00 teeth cleaning (all good), 10:00 dermatologist appt (he's prescribing a huge regimen and meds to try to get my stupid acne under control), 12:00 bikram yoga class, 4:30 body pump class. In between, I went to several stores, paid bills, meal prepped, etc.

Now it's back to work for a short week. Dh comes home again on Thursday. :hug:

alinnell
01-21-2014, 11:49 AM
So now I have to get the book and read it before Feb. 9 and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.

What is the book?

Megan1982
01-21-2014, 11:50 AM
Morning all,
I had the day off yesterday for the holiday. I spent it being responsible and getting in some movement - jogged with the dog, hit the Monday yoga class I don't usually make, and did two modules for my online course. Speaking of which, I've delved into the world of online education and am taking a graduate level distance course in the marine field in attempts to make myself better qualified for future career opportunities. My employer says they'll reimburse me with a grade of C or better, though I've got some trust issues that it will actually happen so I consider this first course an experiment. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of material already and know that if I can make this work, for the next few years my theatre and choral participation will be severely curtailed or nonexistent. I'm a little sad about that but I've got to try and make something else work for work. Hopefully this will help me progress my career without having to leave this place I love and leave my BF.

The new year has involved lots of going through things here. First, re-doing the spare room that's become a junk room so I can use it as an office and close the door to study while BF is in the living room watching TV. I've actually successfully moved my laptop and all associated cords into the office and off of the dining room table. I've been trying to get rid of old electronics responsibly by taking old things to best buy for recycling when I go to the city, and sell a few things online. BF is also finally giving up his house (which he never stays in) and after 8.5 years together he admits we live together. :dizzy: We're combining some furniture, picking through some and giving away the rest. There are 2 new people at the office who have just moved here and are happy to be the recipients of a mattress and end tables.

Michele, good for you for getting out there and meeting new folks. My book club sometimes chooses books I would never read. Sometimes I enjoy them, sometimes I don't, but it does broaden horizons and it's more about the social aspect for me. I kind of wish I'd saved a pair of my fattest fat pants. You have come a long way and continue to maintain a great loss!

Allison, maybe you could compromise and spend a few days before/after the wedding at the winery, but the night of rehearsal & wedding itself with everyone else. I always get nervous about booking travel due to cost as well. Maybe in this case paying extra for the refundable tickets is worth it.

Becky, there's nothing like wine to help one speed the process. Any process.

Jen, brr, stay warm! Or maybe "hope you feel warm" is a more appropriate wish?

I hope everyone else feels warm, too, and has a good week. :)

Shannon in ATL
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
DH had the day off yesterday for the holiday, then got an 'emergency' call at 5:30 yesterday afternoon and ended up working until close to 2 in the morning. He's on a tear today at work - this customer has called more than once with issues after hours and has an unrealistic expectation of service and of what constitutes an emergency. His company offers 24 hour support and has people in the office to do it, but this guy doesn't think those people act fast enough or are experienced enough or whatever. He wants a line to DH and the others on his team with a 30 minute response, for what is a small account who often cause their own problems by moving equipment. Or who think it is an emergency when they decide that they want a new line for faxes on Sunday afternoon at 4pm instead of during business hours. It is ridiculous. He had a call before Christmas that lasted close to 22 hours, with himself and two other CSR folks at the office trying to fix a problem that the customer had caused. One of those CSRs has since quit, said that the 22 hour call without being able to leave and go home or anything was more than she was in for. DH is worn out.

One of my friends is in ICU in a medically induced coma - she has the flu, double pneumonia and asthma. As DH has asthma and has been fighting bronchitis since before Christmas this has me worried.

Mudpie
01-21-2014, 06:15 PM
I had a good day today, despite the brain :eek: numbing cold. It was brilliantly sunny all day and the lake and sky were constantly changing. Beautiful! :D I sometimes wish I had the fancy phone with the camera to share stuff like that. I was dressed in a bunch of bulky layers and thought I could, to a certain extent, empathize with people who are quite overweight. Life is so difficult with all this bulk just for one season - I can imagine what it's like to be that way all the time. HARD!

And the dogs were all pretty well behaved today, except for Max Sr. and Max Jr. Senior is the 10 year old poodle and she is now running away regularly. I am keeping her on leash and redoing a bunch of training with her. Junior is going to be a bit more of a problem as he's not going to be neutered until he's 15 months and now, since he has male equipment, thinks he can do whatever the heck he wants. I have a long line on him (which is a pain in winter) and all the folks at the off leash are helping me catch him, including one of the other dogs in his group! :lol: That's a bit of training that happened with another dog and that I'm continuing.

DH is away at class so I'm going to heat up leftovers and then I'm going to prep for my "Swedish Media" online course by rewatching "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

Good evening all!

Dagmar :coolsnow:

traveling michele
01-21-2014, 06:50 PM
What is the book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307744574/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is Aleph. From what the others were saying it sounds a little "out there" and not a quick read. We'll see.

alinnell
01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307744574/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is Aleph. From what the others were saying it sounds a little "out there" and not a quick read. We'll see.

I read the Alchemist although I don't remember much of it. Hopefully this will be good. The reviews are certainly mixed.

BillBlueEyes
01-21-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm going to prep for my "Swedish Media" online course by rewatching "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

I liked the book so much that I watched both versions of the movie. I preferred the Hollywood version of Lisbeth by Rooney Mara over the Swedish version.

Which are you watching?

Mudpie
01-22-2014, 06:30 AM
I liked the book so much that I watched both versions of the movie. I preferred the Hollywood version of Lisbeth by Rooney Mara over the Swedish version.

Which are you watching?

The Swedish ones - I have all 3 movies on DVD. Unfortunately I got only part way through the first disc and it started malfunctioning. SIGH. I'll get DH to take a look - our equipment involves 4 remotes so I may have done something wrong.

I haven't seen the remake with Rooney Mara. Another thing on my "to watch" list.

I too loved the books. I couldn't put them down and read late into the night until I'd finished the whole trilogy.

Dagmar :dizzy:

Megan1982
01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Morning all,
We had a few days of warmer weather and beautiful beach walks and are back in the arctic, er, chilly stuff now. I'm planning on making some version of chicken tortilla soup tonight, without the tortillas, to get us through the rest of the week with warm, hearty, & healthy dinners. After yoga of course. Small pat on back for being good about time management, veggie prep & consumption this week, and seeing my pre-holiday weight of 149 on the scale this morning (those things are all related in my world). Now to make it stay there.

The steroids are helping the dog, finally. She is closer to normal than she's been in 4 months. They make her really thirsty and hungry, though, so we still get up at least once each night for outings. We're starting to taper them off and see what she does, but I think she will be on them for a while longer, if not years.

I really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, as well, though I haven't seen either movie version. I think I read the Alchemist a long time ago...? Clearly if I did it didn't make an impression. This month for book club we're reading "5 Days at Memorial" which is about 5 days at Memorial hospital in NO following hurricane Katrina. It's well written but I haven't gotten that far. I need to read something that will relax me before bed, and this isn't it, but that is the only reading time I have right now. What happened was just terrible.

Shannon, is this client a big client of DH's? Does his business success depend on their check? It's easy for me to say, but I'd be sitting them down and spelling out in writing what constitutes an after hours emergency. Is there any kind of contract signing? Or just tell them to stuff it, bc they don't sound like they'd appreciate the heart-to-heart anyway. I hope he's feeling better soon. Your friend is in my thoughts and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Jessica, glad the girls slept well through at least one night. Is their sleeping overall improved or is it sporadic?

Bill, are you using your new snow machine today? Stay warm and safe those of you in the Northeast. :brr:

alinnell
01-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Megan~aren't steroids interesting? Chico, at times, is famished but other times (and I think it's due to his kidney disease more than anything) he doesn't want to eat.

I've read all three Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books and seen all four movies. We saw the Swedish ones in the theater. The first is not rated. Meaning that if it were to have been rated, it would have been NC17. Yeah, took my 16 (or was he 15 at the time) to see it with us. He got over the NC17 stuff and really enjoyed the movie. I had trouble with the first book. So many characters and so many places unknown to me had me a bit fuddled, but everyone told me to stick with it and I'm glad I did.

BTW, the diet is working!

paperclippy
01-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Megan, glad the steroids are helping your furbaby! Congrats on your pre-holiday weight. I heard a piece on NPR about 5 days at memorial -- it sounded like it would be a very good but depressing read. The girls' sleep is still mixed. Last night they slept really well until about 3:30am and then were a disaster, but overall that's pretty good.

traveling michele
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Good news on Emma, Megan!

I also *think* I read the Alchemist but I'm also not sure. Those who enjoyed the Alchemist said this one is nothing like it as it is the author's "personal journey" including his belief that he has been reincarnated multiple times.

Great Allison! Glad the scale is cooperating for you.

CherryPie99
01-22-2014, 03:06 PM
I am so uncultured compared to the rest of you! I have never even HEARD of the Alchemist let alone read it!

I had an interesting experience this morning. A few weeks ago I was asked if I could come over and give a lecture on drugs of abuse to a local agency. I was given the impression it was just a few people that needed to know a couple of things.

I prepared lightly and then got over there this morning and the room was packed with people all looking at me expectantly. I thought "Oh, crap! This is not going to go well!" But I began my spiel - they all had a ton of questions and were all totally engaged - asking for my "expert opinion" on things.

Afterwards several people came up to me and told me how awesome the presentation was. It was definitely an ego-feeder.

Jen

silverbirch
01-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Jen, I haven't heard of the Alchemist either. We (you and I) live in the sticks and I don't have a television. :hug:

Jessica, I'm glad that C and A are sleeping from time to time! It seems to be improving as they're getting older. Phew!

BillBlueEyes
01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Used the new snow thrower to remove . . . 3 inches of fluffy snow. The 12 inches predicted stayed in NY, apparently.

But it was cold out there. Had to come in once for numb fingers and a second time for numb toes.

But I didn't have extra snacks to recover from the exercise, LOL.

mars735
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Used the new snow thrower to remove . . . 3 inches of fluffy snow. The 12 inches predicted stayed in NY, apparently.

But it was cold out there. Had to come in once for numb fingers and a second time for numb toes.

But I didn't have extra snacks to recover from the exercise, LOL.

I always wondered if shivering would count as aerobic workout!

alinnell
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
My heart is sad.

You all know the trials and tribulations we've been going through with Chico. We have good days and bad days and just when we think the bad is as bad as it can get he springs back and has numerous good days in a row. We're currently on a good day streak (thus not mentioning much lately).

Well, last night a good friend posted on FB that they had put down their aging Golden Retriever yesterday. And this morning a friend from my Lab Chat board said she had put down her dog who had been suffering from liver disease after eating tainted dog food 20 months ago. Her dog and mine have been sick almost the same amount of time. Also another friend from the Lab board had to put down her lab after a very short, but bad, illness.

It just makes me wonder when my time to post this bad news will be.

traveling michele
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry you are sad Allison. Yes, your time is coming unfortunately but it isn't yet. Give your fur baby some extra hugs and kisses. I worry about my Jozi too. The average life span for a Great Dane is 8-10 and she just turned 10. She has started wanting extra kisses and pets in the morning before breakfast-- she won't start eating until I give them too her. While I think it's sweet, I really think it's because she doesn't feel all that much like eating and needs the encouragement.

Jen-- that's amazing! Love it!!!!Not too many people can say they've made a huge difference in people's lives due to their work (your job) and personally (encouraging others due to your weight loss). Give yourself a big pat on the back!

CherryPie99
01-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Allison, that's the hard part of owning pets - they always seem to leave us too soon. From what I have seen you have given Chico an outstanding life. He is happy and is doing well now - please just revel in that.

His time will come and when it does, you will know that he was a beloved family member who brought joy into your life.

My DH is still not recovered from the loss of our cat before Xmas and now our oldest cat - who he found SEALED in a cardboard box thrown in a field near our house as a impossibly tiny kitten years ago - is starting to fail. I tell him that this is just the circle of life and when he does pass on, it will open our homes to another kitten who needs a loving home!

Jen

Mudpie
01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I believe I was watching it snow on New York state all the time I was out dogwalking today. Big puffy grey clouds with snow streaming out of them. We had beautiful clear skies and sun - but it was bl**dy cold. Kinda weird and schizoid but really amazing at the same time.

Dagmar :crazy:

mars735
01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
I believe I was watching it snow on New York state all the time I was out dogwalking today. Big puffy grey clouds with snow streaming out of them. We had beautiful clear skies and sun - but it was bl**dy cold. Kinda weird and schizoid but really amazing at the same time.

Dagmar :crazy:

If it's clear at night, maybe you can see the northern lights. I read it's a good year for them. I'm so impressed you actually went outside and walked your dog in the Weather!

silverbirch
01-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Dagmar, you'd better tell Mars all about it!

Interesting weather observation. I'm doing a clouds project (name that cloud and what it does) at the moment.

Mars, I'd heard that about the Aurora as well. We're slightly too far south here.

Mudpie
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Mars I walk dogs for a living - I'm a commercial dogwalker. I'm out there from 8 a.m. to around 3:30 p.m. every day, walking small groups of dogs.

BTW we also saw a halo of huge proportions around the sun this afternoon. An interesting but kinda spooky weird weather day.

CherryPie99
01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Jen-- that's amazing! Love it!!!!Not too many people can say they've made a huge difference in people's lives due to their work (your job) and personally (encouraging others due to your weight loss). Give yourself a big pat on the back!

Thanks Michele! I have to admit - while I think I'm pretty good at my job, it's a whole other thing to lecture a group of professionals! And to have them ask me questions related to my opinion on things and how to improve systems? It was a little surreal...

Unlike the last artic blast, we have been spared the snowfall. So looking out the window it looks gorgeous - you could almost believe it was spring! -37 at our house this morning! The HIGH today was -2.

Dagmar I thought about you all day. I seriously don't know how you do it!!!

Jen

mars735
01-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Mars I walk dogs for a living - I'm a commercial dogwalker. I'm out there from 8 a.m. to around 3:30 p.m. every day, walking small groups of dogs.

BTW we also saw a halo of huge proportions around the sun this afternoon. An interesting but kinda spooky weird weather day.

Well then I'm really impressed!!! What great exercise. We're having eerie weather too--record drought. Easier to dress for than what you're having but unsettling nevertheless.

ChrisMohr
01-23-2014, 01:44 AM
Good luck Chico!
Hope you're all surviving the cold OK. Here in Denver it hit 63 degrees a couple days ago when the big winter storm hit the Northeast. But we have our share of cold at other times.
I'm doing OK losing weight again. Don't know why I was able to get back on the wagon after a big weight gain in December. But right at the New Year I just stopped overeating. I'm temporarily back in dieting mode and look forward to the relatively relaxed mazintenance realm in a couple months.

silverbirch
01-23-2014, 02:15 AM
It's been mild, wet and windy here so far this winter. Lots of floods and some people are thinking of growing webbed feet. Forecast today is 4C-5C, 39F-41F.

Allison, it's a hard time. :hug:

ICUwishing
01-23-2014, 08:30 AM
:hug: from me too, Allison. I don't think it would have been possible for him to have more love or a better life.

Chris, I've been wondering how you're doing! :wave: How are you doing with figuring out what dream to fulfill next, after the wedding chapel business?

All I can say about our winter is that I've been having college flashbacks from my years at Michigan Tech - recently voted #1 snowiest college in the country. It's been deep and it's been cold, with far less of the "normal" breaks of nice weather. I was looking at my credit card the other day and thinking about heading to the airport. :D Escapism fantasies ...

Megan1982
01-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Morning all,
I'm happy to see the pre-holiday weight again on the scale today. I've once again confirmed for myself after going to yoga twice this week that the Wed class/instructor is the best. The Mon/Th class is in a better location driving-wise but it's worth a few extra miles. It's chilly and tonight we have another hard freeze, which I only mention bc of the PITA of cracking the faucets on not only our home but BF will have to make the rounds yet again for some out-of-towners. Did I mention that for our last freeze 2 weeks ago a pipe in our house actually froze, despite cracking the faucets? Luckily it didn't burst and BF got it thawed out, before we made his neighborhood rounds thawing out everyone else's pipes too, but we had a few burst at work (again, despite running faucets). Silly FL builders. :dizzy: I hope we don't get anymore cold-stunned sea turtles.

I made chicken tortilla soup (minus tortillas - so maybe it was more of a chicken southwest soup) last night, froze several jars for future lunches, and we have a big batch in the fridge for lunches and dinners to come. I plan to take the dog for a wog tonight, and then eat leftovers and spend the night doing course work. Tomorrow I have to go to my city office for work and often get home late from that, so I want to get ahead.

Silver, it's been unusually wet here, too, and I live on a dirt(mud) road. Add me to the webbed feet list. I wish I could teach the dog to wipe her paws...

Chris, even though I would be the first to tell you it's hard for me to let my body "eat intuitively" whatever that means - I will always try to get extra BLTs - somehow after the holidays I have no trouble swinging back to healthier eating. It's a reflex after all of the junk and overindulgence for the holiday season, and after lots of travels I get home and get in my own kitchen and can be "normal" again. Maybe we can trust our bodies a little bit to know what they need.

Dagmar, your dog-walking view sounds lovely and surreal.

Jen, glad your lecture went so well! It's nice to get some respect. Sorry your cat isn't doing well. :hug:

Allison :grouphug:. Did Chico eat his chicken today?

Stay warm everyone.

paperclippy
01-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Jen, glad your lecture went well!

Allison & Michele, sending good thoughts to Chico and Jozi.

We had an incident with Carter and baby A this morning (don't worry, nobody was hurt!). I feel responsible because I was watching C and didn't notice what was going on with Carter and A so I don't know exactly what happened. As far as I can tell he came over to sniff her and maybe lick her (her hair was slicked into a cowlick afterward) and she probably flailed her arm at him or grabbed at him, and he barked and she started crying. I don't think he snapped, and he definitely didn't bite, but still. We told him no and chased him off but I feel like that's probably not the best way to teach him anything. A while back I contacted a local animal behavior group for advice and they recommended going to our vet as the first step but I never got around to making an appointment. DH is convinced that the only thing the vet will say is that we should give Carter away but I think DH is being ridiculous and that the vet will at least refer us to a behaviorist first, or possibly even try doggie anxiety medication. It makes me really sad when DH says things like that because I feel like he's angry at Carter all the time and like he wants to get rid of him, even though he says that's not true.

Really Carter needs to learn that if he doesn't want the babies touching him he should just walk away. They can't follow him. They can't chase him. They can only touch him if he comes close enough. So if he doesn't want them to touch him, why doesn't he just walk away? I don't understand and I'm not sure how to teach him that. I think we are going to have to just start gating the babies in a separate room where he can't get to them if we can't resolve this. Unfortunately with two infants DH and I honestly do not have the time or energy for any intensive training with Carter so separation is the best we can do right now.

ChrisMohr
01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

Megan I have the same ambivalence about listening to my body. I try to listen to what it needs, not necessarily what it craves. Not to be too authoritarian and self-denying but not too indulgent of my love of chocolate either. But I will say that after December's indulgences, it's easier this year at least to listen to what my body needs, because it really needs a break from the indulgences!

ICU wishing, I've been a little afraid to admit to my maintenance community what we are doing next. I'm still performing weddings, funerals, baptisms at other locations now that we sold our chapel. We also bought two condos to use as rental property. That still left a gap, so our new venture will be (gulp) Choctoberfest Colorado. If all goes as planned, on October 17-18 we're renting out the grand ballroom at the Marriott in southeast Denver Tech Center area and having 80-100 chocolate booths and thousands of people to come by and sample chocolates!

I actually asked myself, will this mean me blowing my maintenance plan completely? Not at all. In fact, I will be the guy who does most of the announcements and maybe even some presentations (I've been a professional classical radio announcer since the late 1970s). So if I'm standing up at a Chocolate Festival in front of thousands of people, my goal is to be the very model of a guy who can be slender, handsome, clear-skinned and healthy whille still enjoying chocolate. I notice too that most of the true chocolatiers (here in Colorado at least) are amazingly slender! Plus not one of them has offered me a free sample of their products.

It's a very scary time, lots of stress as money flies out the window and not enough $$ is coming in. Somehow the stress is not seeming to drive me to overindulge tho. Can't figure out why this is working this year. Last year we worried like crazy as our chapel was going under. Now it's gone, over, kaput, and we worry even more that our new venture may fail. But it's a different kind of stress. Last year I had huge problems with self-control, this year it's easier again in spite of everything.

alinnell
01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Well then I'm really impressed!!! What great exercise. We're having eerie weather too--record drought. Easier to dress for than what you're having but unsettling nevertheless.

I'm in California, too, and the drought is terrible. Although we don't really feel the effects of it here so much as we're already the desert (and we have a huge aquifer) it is sad for the entire state.

Jen, glad your lecture went well!

Allison & Michele, sending good thoughts to Chico and Jozi.

We had an incident with Carter and baby A this morning (don't worry, nobody was hurt!). I feel responsible because I was watching C and didn't notice what was going on with Carter and A so I don't know exactly what happened. As far as I can tell he came over to sniff her and maybe lick her (her hair was slicked into a cowlick afterward) and she probably flailed her arm at him or grabbed at him, and he barked and she started crying. I don't think he snapped, and he definitely didn't bite, but still. We told him no and chased him off but I feel like that's probably not the best way to teach him anything. A while back I contacted a local animal behavior group for advice and they recommended going to our vet as the first step but I never got around to making an appointment. DH is convinced that the only thing the vet will say is that we should give Carter away but I think DH is being ridiculous and that the vet will at least refer us to a behaviorist first, or possibly even try doggie anxiety medication. It makes me really sad when DH says things like that because I feel like he's angry at Carter all the time and like he wants to get rid of him, even though he says that's not true.

Really Carter needs to learn that if he doesn't want the babies touching him he should just walk away. They can't follow him. They can't chase him. They can only touch him if he comes close enough. So if he doesn't want them to touch him, why doesn't he just walk away? I don't understand and I'm not sure how to teach him that. I think we are going to have to just start gating the babies in a separate room where he can't get to them if we can't resolve this. Unfortunately with two infants DH and I honestly do not have the time or energy for any intensive training with Carter so separation is the best we can do right now.

Until you can be certain that Carter will walk away, it might be a good idea to put up a kiddie gate to keep him separated when the girls are out on the floor. It won't be too much longer before they'll become mobile and then Carter might be more reactive. If you get him used to occasional confinement now he should be better with it when they're crawling and walking. In the mean time, a behaviorist is a good idea.

Thanks for all the well wishes for Chico. He's on his third good day in a row! He's eaten well all three days (although still not enough to gain weight) which gives him energy and he just seems happier when he has energy. I think giving him fluids daily is what helps. The steroids help with his appetite, too. If I try to feed him before he's had his steroids, he sometimes refuses food. All I need to do is give him the steroids, wait about an hour and then he'll eat.

traveling michele
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Chris-- that sounds amazing!! I think a road trip in October might be in store! How exciting.

traveling michele
01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Dh home from China (hooray!)-- but he cooked last night. Healthy-- supposedly-- Salmon with Brussels sprouts-- but he oversalts food! I like zero salt. Even he said it was too salty. Surprise surprise-- my rings are stuck on today and my weight isn't moving. So, lots of fluids today!

In unrelated news, I fell in love with Scentsy products-- they smell amazing! I put one in where Jozi sleeps (and she stinks) and it smells oh so much better! I signed up last night to be a consultant--- just to sell to friends and family-- and I have a website to order from! Super excited! If you want the info, send me a PM and I'll send you the link (hope I'm not breaking 3FC rules). You can order and they ship directly to you.

alinnell
01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
I like the Scentsy "burners" that you plug in and the light heats the brick and gently scents the room, but I am not a fan of any of their scents. I prefer Salt City Candle scents, but they aren't "interchangeable." The Salt City bricks are harder and don't melt as easy so the scent is less discernible. I wonder if adding oil might help or is there a slightly higher watt bulb that I could buy.

I had a low cal day yesterday but no weight change today. ((sigh)) I should know that this would be slow, but it's still a little infuriating.

CherryPie99
01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I LOVEEEEEEEEE Scentsy! Please send me your info, Michele! I used them all the time here at work since we can't light candles.

I had a huge surprise this morning when I stepped on the scale and am back under my redline for the first time in what feels like forever.

Trying not to get cocky with it!!

bargoo
01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I like the Scentsy "burners" that you plug in and the light heats the brick and gently scents the room, but I am not a fan of any of their scents. I prefer Salt City Candle scents, but they aren't "interchangeable." The Salt City bricks are harder and don't melt as easy so the scent is less discernible. I wonder if adding oil might help or is there a slightly higher watt bulb that I could buy.

I had a low cal day yesterday but no weight change today. ((sigh)) I should know that this would be slow, but it's still a little infuriating.

What is your favorite scent ?

bargoo
01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Dh home from China (hooray!)-- but he cooked last night. Healthy-- supposedly-- Salmon with Brussels sprouts-- but he oversalts food! I like zero salt. Even he said it was too salty. Surprise surprise-- my rings are stuck on today and my weight isn't moving. So, lots of fluids today!

In unrelated news, I fell in love with Scentsy products-- they smell amazing! I put one in where Jozi sleeps (and she stinks) and it smells oh so much better! I signed up last night to be a consultant--- just to sell to friends and family-- and I have a website to order from! Super excited! If you want the info, send me a PM and I'll send you the link (hope I'm not breaking 3FC rules). You can order and they ship directly to you.

And what is your favorite scent ?

alinnell
01-24-2014, 12:43 PM
bargoo~Salt City Candle's Gardenia is probably my favorite although I have several others. Lemon grass is also quite nice.

bargoo
01-24-2014, 12:45 PM
bargoo~Salt City Candle's Gardenia is probably my favorite although I have several others. Lemon grass is also quite nice.

Thanks, I will check them out,

traveling michele
01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
And what is your favorite scent ?

Well... I'm excited to try them all out! So far, I love sugar cookie. It smells divine (and doesn't make me crave cookies!).

Jen-- I'll send the info along. :D

ICUwishing
01-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Chris, good lord, I need to make arrangements to visit Colorado in October. I have two friends in CA who are master chocolatiers - they ran a successful business out there until she destroyed her back. I so admire your courage and willingness to get back out there. What you're doing - not letting the fear control you - is what I consider true success and spirit. I think some of the self-control just comes out naturally from having a purpose; you're occupied, you have a direction, and you're a spirit in motion. Thumbs up and good luck!

Mudpie
01-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Jessica Carter is showing an interest in the babies. They probably smell like food - if they are eating any solids yet - and he's licking them to see if he can get some of it. What you have to do now is show him that, while it's OK to interact with the girls, he can't do so whenever he chooses. You and DH will choose when and where Carter touches the babies.

Please try to find a trainer ASAP. I have seen too many dogs given away after babies come into the household. It's not necessary. But you have to teach the dog to be very gentle with the babies and a professional trainer can show you how to do that.

You had someone stay with Carter or walk him or similar when you were away on vacation. Ask her if she knows of a reputable trainer who can help you through this. Or ask your vet.

It should not be a choice between Carter or the girls. They can learn to all be part of one big happy family.

Dagmar

Mudpie
01-24-2014, 07:19 PM
So it looks like the individual I hired to renovate the bathroom really, really frakked up the job. There was no way of knowing what he'd done until the walls were opened up.

So now DH is blaming me for all of this, since he is the one who volunteered and who I'm paying to try to fix it. I have now said that maybe the whole thing should be ripped out and redone but apparently that's not a good idea.

I had no idea who to hire. I thought DH, working for a BATHROOM and kitchen reno firm, might.

I'm really mad right now. If DH doesn't want to participate in this why doesn't he find me someone who can do this work? I have asked him repeatedly to do this.

ARRGH!

Dagmar :mad:

JayEll
01-24-2014, 07:33 PM
My question for you, Dagmar, is why do you keep asking DH? Obviously you are going to have to find someone reputable on your own by doing your own research.

DH is never going to be what you think he should be. He's not going to stay on a diet, he's not going to get a decent job, and he's not going to be reliable about repair and help. I think you would be happier if you'd simply accept that about him and stop expecting and hoping it will change.

Good luck on finding a reputable company to re-fix your bathroom. You can find them. No more asking pals about it. Remember, it is YOUR house.

ChrisMohr
01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Chris-- that sounds amazing!! I think a road trip in October might be in store! How exciting.

OMG Michele if you come out to my Chocolate Festival for real, I promise you a free admission ticket and a friendly hug! Only problem, running a festival for 5000 people I'll have no more time than that!!

ChrisMohr
01-25-2014, 04:10 PM
Chris, good lord, I need to make arrangements to visit Colorado in October. I have two friends in CA who are master chocolatiers - they ran a successful business out there until she destroyed her back. I so admire your courage and willingness to get back out there. What you're doing - not letting the fear control you - is what I consider true success and spirit. I think some of the self-control just comes out naturally from having a purpose; you're occupied, you have a direction, and you're a spirit in motion. Thumbs up and good luck!

ICU Wishing, You Too!?!?! This is too amazing if both you and Michele came out. Hugs all around I promise. The idea of successful maintainers meeting at a chocolate festival cracks me up, and proves that we can live in the world and enjoy life. Thanks so much for your encouragement.

BillBlueEyes
01-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Choctoberfest Colorado. If all goes as planned, on October 17-18 we're renting out the grand ballroom at the Marriott in southeast Denver Tech Center area and having 80-100 chocolate booths and thousands of people to come by and sample chocolates!
Marking my calendar to avoid all of Colorado in October, LOL. I'd never want you to know what my mind is thinking about when I picture that. Restraint? Moderation? I'm thinking Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chocolate-Factory-Roald-Dahl/dp/0142410314/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390681767&sr=1-1&keywords=charlie+and+the+chocolate+factory). Squared.

Glad to hear that you'll be busy the whole time. Hope it's a grand success.

bargoo
01-25-2014, 04:52 PM
So it looks like the individual I hired to renovate the bathroom really, really frakked up the job. There was no way of knowing what he'd done until the walls were opened up.

So now DH is blaming me for all of this, since he is the one who volunteered and who I'm paying to try to fix it. I have now said that maybe the whole thing should be ripped out and redone but apparently that's not a good idea.

I had no idea who to hire. I thought DH, working for a BATHROOM and kitchen reno firm, might.

I'm really mad right now. If DH doesn't want to participate in this why doesn't he find me someone who can do this work? I have asked him repeatedly to do this.

ARRGH!

Dagmar :mad:

Dagmar, hire a reputable contractor and keep SO out of it. It is your house.

traveling michele
01-25-2014, 06:23 PM
OMG Michele if you come out to my Chocolate Festival for real, I promise you a free admission ticket and a friendly hug! Only problem, running a festival for 5000 people I'll have no more time than that!!

I would love to! Truly! But I doubt it's a possibility sadly. Maybe someday we can have a maintainers meetup somewhere. Chocolate festival sounds like a great place for it!

alinnell
01-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Many of you on FB have heard and I thank you for your sentiments. DH and I had Chico put down this morning. It was incredibly difficult--probably the worst of the four I've had to do it to. The last two were almost past the time when they should have left us, Chico was not. He still had his wits about him. I think he knew. I think he was hoping we'd do it the past couple of days. Before we left I held him and he kissed me--something he hasn't done much of these past 6 months or so (it used to be a daily ritual). I will aways cherish this. He had lost 17 pounds in the past 5 or 6 pounds and weighed less than when we adopted him at age 11 months. Still, he was only 9 and Labs often live to 12, my last two until 15, so it was much too young.

BillBlueEyes
01-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Sending supportive thoughts, Allison, as you think of Chico. Thanks for sharing Chico's last kiss.

Mudpie
01-26-2014, 06:34 AM
:hug: to you and Chico Allison And thank you for sharing that last kiss with us.

Dagmar

silverbirch
01-26-2014, 07:20 AM
:hug: Allison.

Megan1982
01-26-2014, 09:03 AM
So sorry, Allison. It is so hard so lose our furry friends. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Secret Swan
01-26-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm new to this group, and this is a weird place to jump in, but: Allison, I am so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose a family member, but it sounds like he went feeling loved and cared for.

traveling michele
01-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm new to this group, and this is a weird place to jump in, but: Allison, I am so sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose a family member, but it sounds like he went feeling loved and cared for.

Welcome. We talk about our beloved pets a lot on this forum so it's not weird at all.

bargoo
01-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Many of you on FB have heard and I thank you for your sentiments. DH and I had Chico put down this morning. It was incredibly difficult--probably the worst of the four I've had to do it to. The last two were almost past the time when they should have left us, Chico was not. He still had his wits about him. I think he knew. I think he was hoping we'd do it the past couple of days. Before we left I held him and he kissed me--something he hasn't done much of these past 6 months or so (it used to be a daily ritual). I will aways cherish this. He had lost 17 pounds in the past 5 or 6 pounds and weighed less than when we adopted him at age 11 months. Still, he was only 9 and Labs often live to 12, my last two until 15, so it was much too young.

My heart goes out to you this morning.

saef
01-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Thinking of you, Allison, and remembering my own old griefs over losing much-loved animals.

It's hard to exercise that life-and-death responsibility that we have over them. It's the timing. Sometimes you keep second-guessing yourself, even if others tell you that you've made the right decision. Did you have it done too early, or too late? We feel they're entitled to every last minute of life at a certain level of quality that they can get. We want to be fair, to do the right thing, and maybe someone more objective than us confirming that our choice was right. Problem is, I don't think even that would satisfy us or ease the pain of having made the choice for them.

ChrisMohr
01-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Condolences to you Allison

alinnell
01-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Thinking of you, Allison, and remembering my own old griefs over losing much-loved animals.

It's hard to exercise that life-and-death responsibility that we have over them. It's the timing. Sometimes you keep second-guessing yourself, even if others tell you that you've made the right decision. Did you have it done too early, or too late? We feel they're entitled to every last minute of life at a certain level of quality that they can get. We want to be fair, to do the right thing, and maybe someone more objective than us confirming that our choice was right. Problem is, I don't think even that would satisfy us or ease the pain of having made the choice for them.

All my friends on the Labrador Chat board said that they wished they had done it a day too early rather than a day too late. I think he probably would have held on for weeks more, but it was just too painful to see him not want to eat. Someone said to think of his three favorite things to do and when he can't do those, it is time. Well, eating was #1. Always is for a Lab. The fact that he had lost so much weight was really the most telling thing and my reasoning to put him down. It just wasn't fair to him to keep him around for my sake. I miss him like crazy.

bargoo
01-27-2014, 10:35 AM
All my friends on the Labrador Chat board said that they wished they had done it a day too early rather than a day too late. I think he probably would have held on for weeks more, but it was just too painful to see him not want to eat. Someone said to think of his three favorite things to do and when he can't do those, it is time. Well, eating was #1. Always is for a Lab. The fact that he had lost so much weight was really the most telling thing and my reasoning to put him down. It just wasn't fair to him to keep him around for my sake. I miss him like crazy.

'You did the right thing, still it is hard ti give up.

ChrisMohr
01-27-2014, 10:44 AM
I've agonized over the timing of when to let go of three of my cats over the years. Always completely agonizing. When it's hopeless and they're in pain (both) I know it's time. Karen also agonizes over the precise moment but that can never be known with certainty. It's just part of the contract we have with our beloved companions who trust us with their lives, and their deaths. So painful, I'm sorry what you are going through.