Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 328/289/220

Height: 6'1"

Default Salad fatigue...

I'm not a salad guy. That said however, in the last four months I've eaten what has to be a small farms worth of greens... Walden Farms has put their grand kids through college on the fact that I've tried every one of their mostly god awful dressings. I make my own now, olive oil and apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, ftw!

Last night the wife was wanting something soupy, she's been sick, so this is what I did:

(Also this serves more than three people and requires a pressure cooker but can easy be done in a pot and it's contents moved over to a slow cooker for 3-5 hours or cooked in the pot on a low simmer for the same time... pressure cookers for the win... go get you one, now)

Two cans of low sodium chicken broth
One sliced medium yellow onion
Two sliced bell peppers
eight boneless skinless chicken thighs
One teaspoon coriander
A pinch of cinnamon, maybe two
half teaspoon black pepper
half teaspoon red pepper flake
one teaspoon Thai Green Chili paste (the brand escapes me)
One table spoon tomato paste
One table spoon of soy sauce
Half a table spoon of garlic
Olive oil
Oh and one head of lettuce (Korean style ssam)

Marinaded in a freezer bag the chicken in the coriander, black pepper, and soy sauce for two hours. In the pressure cooker: I seared the chicken in olive oil for eight minutes, four minutes on each side or until there was good color on the thighs. I removed the thighs into a separate dish to hang out.

I added the onions to the pan with the peppers. Once the onions softened I added all of the above spices, tomato paste, Thai green chili paste, and the garlic. After about two minutes to cook off the spices and the tomato paste, on med high heat I added back the chicken and it's juices and dumped in the two cans of chicken broth and added the Korean lettuce. I stirred it and cranked the heat to high. Like any leafy green the lettuce wilted down to nothing. Score for the sneak attack of leafy greens! I then put on the pressure cooker lid and cooked it on high pressure for about an hour.

Moral of the story: Lettuce is back on the menu... but now as an ingredient to soup. You can also add any number of vegetables to your soups to get you up to your daily allotment. Other types of greens like spinach can be added or in substitution to the lettuce. Time for some carrot dancing

Anyone else have any interesting ways to cook with lettuce?
Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #2  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Shingen:

My coach/chiro says that I have to have 4 cups of lettuce per day (she is going easy on me by only making it 4 cups, she said that since I had lap band surgery she wouldn't say 8 cups - which she tells others). Well I can't eat that much salad.

She gave me a great recipe that has worked for me the past couple of months:

In a blender:

1 Cup water
1 Packet Wildberry Yogurt Drink Mix
1 serving Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip (2 T.)
2 C lettuce (I use romaine)

Blend. Then add 4-5 ice cubes.

Works like a breeze and I really can't taste the lettuce. The shake is green but I have that 2 times a day.

Hope this helps. I do have days that I eat lettuce but I can never choke down 4 cups in a day.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #3  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
Shingen:

My coach/chiro says that I have to have 4 cups of lettuce per day (she is going easy on me by only making it 4 cups, she said that since I had lap band surgery she wouldn't say 8 cups - which she tells others). Well I can't eat that much salad.

She gave me a great recipe that has worked for me the past couple of months:

In a blender:

1 Cup water
1 Packet Wildberry Yogurt Drink Mix
1 serving Walden Farms Marshmallow Dip (2 T.)
2 C lettuce (I use romaine)

Blend. Then add 4-5 ice cubes.

Works like a breeze and I really can't taste the lettuce. The shake is green but I have that 2 times a day.

Hope this helps. I do have days that I eat lettuce but I can never choke down 4 cups in a day.
Curious is your coach making you eat 4 cups of lettuce plus 4 cups of select veggies? I was told lettuce was a freebie but you had to have the 4 cups of select a day. For ex I have 2 cups of spinach blended into a smoothie, a cup of cucumbers as a snack and 1 cup of cauliflower with dinner.
nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #4  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

[QUOTE=nolasmurf;4906913]Curious is your coach making you eat 4 cups of lettuce plus 4 cups of select veggies? I was told lettuce was a freebie but you had to have the 4 cups of select a day. For ex I have 2 cups of spinach blended into a smoothie, a cup of cucumbers as a snack and 1 cup of cauliflower with dinner.[/QUOTE

4 cups of lettuce in addition to the 4 cups of veggies. I have slow digestive process (I have heard others here call it the Big C - and I don't mean cancer).

So for breakfast I have one of the shakes I mentioned above;
for lunch another shake and my 2 C of veggies (sometimes I eat 1/2 my protein)
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #5  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

[QUOTE=ColoradoCarol;4906918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasmurf View Post
Curious is your coach making you eat 4 cups of lettuce plus 4 cups of select veggies? I was told lettuce was a freebie but you had to have the 4 cups of select a day. For ex I have 2 cups of spinach blended into a smoothie, a cup of cucumbers as a snack and 1 cup of cauliflower with dinner.[/QUOTE

4 cups of lettuce in addition to the 4 cups of veggies. I have slow digestive process (I have heard others here call it the Big C - and I don't mean cancer).

So for breakfast I have one of the shakes I mentioned above;
for lunch another shake and my 2 C of veggies (sometimes I eat 1/2 my protein)
Oh man that's tough! Jeezum Pete's I'd've eating all day if I did that. Most days I have maybe 2 cups of lettuce once a day
nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 157/119.8/125 r/b 136/136/125

Height: 5'2"

Shingen - your soup sounds almost like "Swamp Soup"...I think any type of lettuce/greens works in the soup.
kkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 328/289/220

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkids View Post
Shingen - your soup sounds almost like "Swamp Soup"...I think any type of lettuce/greens works in the soup.
Yeah... totally same concept. We've been trying a lot of different vegetables not normally in our diet and soups are a great way to sneak them in.

I'll try to come up with a catchier name than swamp soup though otherwise the wife may never eat the stuff again. Haha!
Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote