Living Maintenance - Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge

Pages : [1] 2 3

silverbirch
12-16-2013, 04:59 AM
We all have bulges, it seems, and we'd all like to eliminate them. Let’s see how far we get in the six weeks to 25 January. Everyone is welcome, whether you post a little or a lot.

(Historical note. The Battle of the Bulge, 16 December 1944 to 25 January 1945, was a battle during the Second World War. Its name was coined by contemporary press to describe the way the Allied front line bulged inward on wartime news maps. The Allies eventually won the battle, eliminating the bulge, after much effort and great loss of life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge )

silverbirch
12-16-2013, 05:06 AM
Present! Yes, I am here.

As a child, the adults sometimes used to say 'she's fighting the battle of the bulge'. I knew it meant that someone was slightly chubby and probably didn't eat biscuits. I didn't realise that the Second World War battle was so close in their memories.

So here I am, fighting the battle of the bulge. I am slightly chubby and I don't eat biscuits. Funny how the world goes round.

BillBlueEyes
12-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Present! I am here, also.

It's useful to hear frequent mention of 'biscuits' both because cookies (biscuits in U.S. speak) are a challenge for me and because the fluffy biscuits baked from lard and flour that accompany Kentucky Fried Chicken and Red Lobster meals are a huge draw for me.

Fortunately, it's easy to avoid those two restaurants - haven't been to either in years. But occasionally biscuits show up unexpectedly, often with gravy that is mostly fat.

I suppose it's useful to think of this just to remind myself that I can plan to avoid them when they appear.

Mudpie
12-16-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm here too :wave: - slightly chubby from eating TOO MANY of the biscuits. Thanks for starting the thread Birchie.

I am 136.6 lbs. this morning. My body has wanted to weigh 136 most of my adult life and I'm quite happy with this now. What I want to accomplish is to have that be the high number in my winter maintenance range. So my weight will go from 133-136 instead of 136-138.

This is purely a vanity goal and I'm not going to twist myself into knots :mad: in the weeks I don't meet it. I will weigh Monday and Thursday and report in the numbers, instead of keeping them :eek: to myself.

Accountability IS important in my "Battle of the Bulge".

Dagmar :goodscale:

newleaf123
12-16-2013, 08:04 AM
:wave:

As a child, history felt so far away. I remember learning about the MLK assassination in elementary school. It was history. Except... Disadvantaged city kids were bussed to my school, and the year was probably 1972 -- only 4 years after the assassination. I think about that with the Civil war, too. It really wasn't that long ago, historically speaking. Only a hundred or so years before my birth. That's a blink of an eye.

ICUwishing
12-16-2013, 09:38 AM
I am back in the battling category for this round; I saw my "flashing" red line of 155 this morning. :eek: I need to put on my big girl panties now, before I have to buy bigger girl panties.

Silver - thank you for the history summary! I wish I'd found history as interesting during school as I do now; it is fascinating how many mistakes we are knowingly repeating.

Bill, we've messed around with the Red Lobster cheese biscuit recipe in an attempt to make them a bit less deadly. No luck so far. :p On the lighter side (literally), DH tried so many iterations that we both got sick of them and it's now been years since he made any.

Shannon in ATL
12-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Present! And love the title of the thread.

Also battling. Last week far a bad one for me, I didn't win any of the skirmishes that presented themselves. Hoping to do better this week. I'm eating yogurt and drinking black coffee right now, so there is progress.

Last week I ate a biscuit, as a matter of fact. And it was terrible, and so not worth it. Cold and dry and icky, and I ate all of it even so. I don't understand myself sometimes.

silverbirch
12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Just because I'm not making the ginger marmalade (run out of time) I don't have to eat all the crystallised ginger. Or even half of it. I'll stop now.

Mudpie
12-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Shannon For me, when my emotional state is not good, it's not about enjoying the food. It's the act of eating it. I could be eating cornstarch packing peanuts (yes, Mudpie enjoyed one of those on the weekend though I didn't try one :rofl:) or nuggets of sawdust. It's getting as much food into my mouth as fast as I can, without tasting much.

I don't do it often now and I eat waaay less than I used to during a binge but sometimes I am still triggered. Always when I am emotionally disturbed in a negative way - anxiety, anger, boredom, etc.

And sometimes it's not a binge at all but merely an item of food that is THERE. I don't really want it or enjoy it but I eat it anyway. I still haven't puzzled this behaviour out.

Dagmar :dizzy:

dstalksalot
12-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm here too :wave: - slightly chubby from eating TOO MANY of the biscuits. Thanks for starting the thread Birchie.

I am 136.6 lbs. this morning. My body has wanted to weigh 136 most of my adult life and I'm quite happy with this now. What I want to accomplish is to have that be the high number in my winter maintenance range. So my weight will go from 133-136 instead of 136-138.

This is purely a vanity goal and I'm not going to twist myself into knots :mad: in the weeks I don't meet it. I will weigh Monday and Thursday and report in the numbers, instead of keeping them :eek: to myself.

Accountability IS important in my "Battle of the Bulge".

I could have wrote this post. I'm 5'3.5 and 136-138 trying for 133-136 .....it seems though that I'm always trying to go slightly lower.....

alinnell
12-16-2013, 11:19 AM
While I have not had to resort to buying bigger clothes, I do feel a LOT more comfortable in clothes that are not form fitting. Loose, flowing shirts to hide all those bulges are my mainstay at the moment.

For the past week I have made some changes in my lifestyle--all for the better--and a step closer to more positive changes that should hopefully help me win this battle (again).

The biggest challenge is DS being home and looking forward to my cooking. He's chosen a few menu items that are not favorable to dieting so I'll have to watch my portions.

saef
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
For the first time in several days, I got up within a few minutes of my alarm going off, at about 4:20 AM. The ice from yesterday's thaw was only scary in a few patches on the sidewalk. I ran on the treadmill at the gym, which is a new thing for me and therefore harder to make myself do, instead of heading downstairs to the spin class, as is my habit. I think my gait was somewhat improved, though still inconsistent.

I'm at the office, with brilliant sun pouring in my window, and aside from a disciplinary conversation about an hour ago with a new hire who blew off going into the office when she had a meeting scheduled with an analyst, the morning has gone well.

This day may also go well, if I treat it carefully.

I'd like to weigh a little less in a few months, but without redoubling in exercise fanaticism and intake restriction. Equally as important, I do not want this winter to take me down. I want to struggle for better balance and I don't want to wait till the New Year to make these resolutions.

traveling michele
12-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm here and battling as well. I had a depressing moment this weekend when I looked back at last year's weights. I had in my mind that I'd been hovering around 130 all year. I knew I weighed 130 on January 1. But when I looked back to this time last year I was 124. I gained 6 pounds over the holidays and it has more or less stuck all year. I was 131.6 this morning (hopefully some sodium bloat from an Italian meal out last night). I need to be very careful that I don't gain another 6 pounds this holiday season.

Mudpie
12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Some of you are complaining about food treats? I think alcohol will be quite problematic for me during the holidays this year. I have already received 4 bottles of wine (really good wine from the look of it) as gifts and have been invited to "have a drink" by 3 separate clients/neighbours. I can take along a bottle to two of these. But I can't quite bring myself to pour out the others - and I think more are coming.

Funny how my clients seem to gift in cycles. I used to get a lot of soap and bath products (a hint maybe? :lol3:), then one year money :cheer2:, and this seems to be the "Year of Wine".

I find I drink a glass of wine and then suddenly want to eat everything in sight. I can usually ride this out but it's harder when there's shortbread and chips and crackers and stuff being snuck into the house. DH is such a BAD hider - :rofl:.

Dagmar :hat:

delmarva
12-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Mudpie - I'm like you - my preference would be to have plenty of food with my wine. So now, I drink a lot less anyways (had peptic ulcers a few years back from taking ibuprofen over a long period. Had no alcohol for a long while, and it is infrequent now, but I drank plenty of it prior to that).

But, because I like to eat and drink, I really schedule that wine night. And, on that wine night, I will knowingly forego good healthy food and calories to have wine. I know it's caloric and I'm going to want to have a few glasses, so I just eat very lightly, and then really enjoy myself with the wine, and go to bed hungry. (But after all the wine - I don't realize I am that hungry haha) Drink lots of water at bedtime to avoid heartburn. Take an antacid preventively.

If I literally 'book the date', I can avoid the food.
There's just something about scheduling wine, like a big meeting, that helps me not overeat. Maybe if you pencil it in, like a special event, it will make it easier?!

saef
12-16-2013, 10:06 PM
What a collection of individuals we are, each with our own obsessions. If I never drank wine again for the rest of my life, I'd be fine with that -- though indeed I'd be annoyed at not having any on hand to cook with, as there's nothing that substitutes for it adequately. I'm known for not partaking and instead drinking sparkling water with lime, so no one would ever think to give me a bottle of it. What I do on those rare occasions when someone gives me wine is re-gift it, and I wonder how many bottles you're getting have been regifted.

neurodoc
12-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Present. 131.5 on the scale today, up from 122 at the beginning of the year. Personal weaknesses including smallish binges (that is clearly triggered by eating at a deficit- I don't binge when I'm eating maintenance calories, but then, of course I don't lose weight) and overeating of healthy but high calorie snacks like nuts and dried fruit, especially in the evenings. Goal weight has always been 120, though I'll settle for 122. Currently trying to walk a (very) fine line between restricting calories enough for gradual weight loss, but not dropping so low that it kicks in the binge/overeat cycle. Aiming for 1600-1700/ day, with some flex up to 1800 on days I get at least an hour of exercise. We shall see how it goes.

Arctic Mama
12-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Here! Working on 'not gaining', as it were, and really I'd like to be down five pounds, back to my previous low, but that seems optimistic this close to my scheduled Christmas junk day.

162 last I checked, focusing on plan adherence and taking a scale break until January. 158 or lower would be nice.

ICUwishing
12-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I successfully talked myself into going to swim practice instead of finishing my Christmas shopping. Good grief, what a night. After getting 2600 yards into the practice, our coach hit us with 10x100 on a 10 second rest interval with the directive to a) keep all 10 100's within 3 seconds of each other and b) to swim as fast as possible without losing technique. I managed to hold them with 4 seconds, all between 1:26 and 1:30. Kinda feeling it today! Between that and only diverging from plan by 2 Hershey's Kisses and a mini Snickers (I abandoned the other 10 at the coffee machine), I'm down 1.0 today.

alinnell
12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Mudpie - I'm like you - my preference would be to have plenty of food with my wine. So now, I drink a lot less anyways (had peptic ulcers a few years back from taking ibuprofen over a long period. Had no alcohol for a long while, and it is infrequent now, but I drank plenty of it prior to that).

But, because I like to eat and drink, I really schedule that wine night. And, on that wine night, I will knowingly forego good healthy food and calories to have wine. I know it's caloric and I'm going to want to have a few glasses, so I just eat very lightly, and then really enjoy myself with the wine, and go to bed hungry. (But after all the wine - I don't realize I am that hungry haha) Drink lots of water at bedtime to avoid heartburn. Take an antacid preventively.

If I literally 'book the date', I can avoid the food.
There's just something about scheduling wine, like a big meeting, that helps me not overeat. Maybe if you pencil it in, like a special event, it will make it easier?!

My wine night coincides with a decadent dinner. Well, not so decadent because the serving sizes are very small in most cases, but it is several courses. Once a month I attend a small fund-raising event with a local group called Wine Women Palm Springs. It's really quite fun and I've met a lot of interesting people--some of whom have become quite good friends.

That said, I've taken great strides to limit my alcohol intake. I have had in my mind (for ages) that I need to cut down and for the past several months have been planning for this reduction--mainly in hopes that it will help me lose weight. I have allowed myself one drink each weekend night and none during the rest of the week. That means three per week, which is a heck of a lot less than the usual three per night that I used to do! Unfortunately, so far, it has not contributed to any weight loss (but I'm blaming that on DS who came home with a list of favorite meals he wants me to cook because he's tired of cafeteria food at the university).

ICUwishing
12-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Re alcohol, the holiday increase is costing me on the scale. I avoid the vast majority of mixed drinks due to the colors, but I do love wine, craft beers, and in this weather, single malts. And I too tend to lose my food inhibitions on the second drink, so I attempt to manage that. I am also aware that I lean on it to grease the social skids - I am much less likely to respond inappropriately to certain relatives' ignorant views. :foot:

CherryPie99
12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
As a substance abuse counselor, I don't drink at all. I count myself lucky that this is not one of my MANY MANY temptations!!

traveling michele
12-17-2013, 03:40 PM
As a substance abuse counselor, I don't drink at all. I count myself lucky that this is not one of my MANY MANY temptations!!

Agreed-- I don't drink either. I will once or twice a year and it unleashes the food beast in me!!

silverbirch
12-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't drink either.

Travelling today. A slightly odd meal out. I started with soup. When the others' main course came I decided to have the cheese plate which was lovely but more cheese than I'd normally eat. Then I had a hot chocolate - too much caffeine for someone who doesn't have coffee after 12 noon. But anyway, not too bad really. I have learnt that I shouldn't have the cheese plate when out, nor should I have hot chocolate out. They are for home consumption, in small amounts. I've relearnt that I can't be bothered with three course meals.

neurodoc
12-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Met with the nutritionist. As part of the consult, he did a body fat measurement (using an electrical impedance device). It claims I'm currently at 17% body fat. WTF? My thighs jiggle and I can't fit into half my jeans because of the outer thigh bulges that strain the fabric.

I had no intention of getting my BF measured - I was going for the dietary advice only, having learned that my RMR was dead average for my height and weight. Now this information is going to drive me crazy. I just know I will obsess over getting it remeasured using a different (more accurate) method because that value strikes me as so off. And I don't want to go there. I don't want this whole diet thing to consume me like this. I just want to eat until I'm full, exercise to make myself feel good, and still FIT INTO MY D*MN CLOTHES.

For the record, after that measurement, the dietician strongly advised me against eating at a deficit, instead targeting 1900 cal/day on average, suggested I up my protein intake to >=100 g/day because I "lift heavy" and want to gain strength, spread out my calories to include a planned evening snack (when I told him how hard it was for me to resist eating after dinner, and that all of my binge behavior took place at that hour), and try to decrease my nuts and dried fruit habits, since I often overdo those, thereby exceeding calories. He also encouraged me to eat a snack right before exercising; he is clearly a firm believer in the 5-6 mini meals theory of eating :>)

I'll have to mull these over. Terrified to go as high as 1900 cal/day since I have been steadily gaining on <1800, and on many days I don't have enough of a break in my schedule to eat snacks between meals, and don't plan ahead to bring things from home anyway. I'll have to experiment with a few strategies for having snacky things around that I won't immediately overeat, and won't go bad if I leave them out.

Shannon in ATL
12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
How much protein are you currently getting every day, Andrea? I will tell you that when I upped my protein I was able to eat a higher calorie level along with it and started losing. Nuts and dried fruits don't do anything for me, they are just calorie fluff most of the time in my belly. I've wandered back into the carbs lately and that has thrown a wrench back into my works. I can't maintain or lose with lots of carbs, and I do find that a high protein snack right before workout helps a lot. I have a good string of 1600 or less days that were too carb heavy and I gained, followed by a string of 1800-1900 calorie days where I upped the protein significantly and started to lose again.

ETA - I've found that 100g is the bare minimum amount of protein I can get in a day and lift the way I do and still feel good. I think you lift heavier than me more often.

delmarva
12-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Same with me. I ate all the nuts I wanted. In fact, about 4 months ago, Scientific American had an article about how the "delivered" calories of nuts is believed to now be incorrect as stated on most packaging. Turns out, our guts cannot "squeeze" out that many calories because of the denser/harder nature of nuts. So, until the final numbers are out, eat them and see how they do for you.

Brazil nuts, in particular, are something I eat a LOT of.

Here's a synopsis on nuts from Scientific American
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/27/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/

alinnell
12-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I recently read that the best snack, pre or post workout, is milk. Specifically chocolate milk, but if it were me, I'd do fat free milk. Not sure of the protein content in a glass of milk, however. But if it were too low, you could add protein powder to boost the protein content.

silverbirch
12-18-2013, 03:49 PM
I eat cottage cheese a lot to get in the protein. Also yoghurt (plain, obviously). Tinned oily fish.

Interesting, Shannon. That's been my experience too.

traveling michele
12-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Andrea-- did you question him on the low BF? i had mine done when I was at my lowest weight and it was supposedly 12%. I wonder what it is now that I've gained weight.

Interesting info about the nuts. I have been eating more than I used to but still not a lot because they are so calorie dense-- or so I thought...

Shannon in ATL
12-18-2013, 04:28 PM
My BF shows at 22% right now with the electrical impedance test, and it goes up and down considerably based on my hydration status. Calipers show higher. At my lowest weight of 117 it showed at 18% with the EI test. I just don't trust it.

neurodoc
12-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Delmarva, thanks, that was a really interesting article. I LOVE science. And now I feel a little less worried about my passion for almonds. Guess I should stick with those though, and lay off the peanut butter?

Getting more protein than I already do is going to be a challenge. I typically get between 70 and 80 grams per day. This is because I really prefer my protein to come with either fat or carbs (or both :>)). Pure protein like a hunk of meat or fish doesn't much appeal in isolation, I'm not a fan of protein powders and I consider protein bars to be just one small step above junk food (and not nearly as tasty). That article Delmarva linked to only further validates my suspicion that it is far preferable to eat my protein as whole foods than to eat it as processed soy/whey additives.

delmarva
12-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Neurodoc, I am so glad you enjoyed the article. The updates these past few years on both exercise, metabolism and cardiovascular health have been frequent and in many cases, turning old advice on its head.

I know what you mean about protein. I really am enjoying a heavy-duty exercise schedule now, and had to really up the protein consumption. The secret to me was sardines (yep - King Oscar double layer is superb) on water crackers or minced and stir fried with green beans and Italian spices, a quick-fix white clam sauce (mostly clams - lots of garlic, capers, and splash of prosecco in the sauce) over spaghetti squash, greek yogurt, and eggs. I eat chicken and beef on occasion, but mostly I need protein 'on the go', and those types (tinned fish and eggs) are quick to fix. Once I ate more of that, I stopped being so sleepy after exercise!

Arctic Mama
12-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Delmarva - I eat a tin of King Oscars almost every day for lunch - either tiny tots or the mediterranean flavored. And I eat hardboiled eggs every morning for breakfast. I agree it works wonderfully.

Mudpie
12-19-2013, 06:31 AM
My weigh-in for today was almost exactly the number I thought it would be - 138.6 lbs. I have been eating jelly beans for the past 2 nights and they have added 2 lbs.

DH and I are both off work next week. I am going to try to have a conversation with him about his slow suicide by gluttony. Not in those words of course :lol3: This is not the right season to talk about dieting but it's the only time during the winter we will be able to both be somewhat awake and aware at the same time of day. I will make a big pot of mint tea and try to talk to him about all of this.

He has several excellent plans for change. But it seems he has no ability to act on them.

He is letting his boss run his life - both at work and here at home - and is using her bullying as an excuse to eat non-stop from the time he gets home from work. He sits at a desk all day and in front of the TV at night so he doesn't need the 4-5000 calories he consumes every day.

It's so sad. I had a substance abuse problem but it was something I didn't need to survive. Now I have the energy drinks/caffeine monkey on my back but I AM going to act. I keep showing him the way but he won't follow me yet.

We can't afford a huge health crisis - both economically and in time off - so he has to act now, before the stroke, or heart attack, or diabetes.

Dagmar :(

ICUwishing
12-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I've always wondered about nuts, too - between them and avocados, the calorie numbers just don't add up to the reality. It's as if I burn plant fats like gas on a fire.

I can't remember the last time I came in under 30% with any sort of electrical impedance measurement. I must be in one **** of a lot of denial, because that figure implies that I should be a buttery, jiggly mess. And I'm not. Perhaps every organ in my body is wrapped in fat a few inches deep, which certainly wouldn't bode well over the long haul, but short of a full immersion study (I think that's the most accurate one, right?), I'm not sure I'll ever know for sure.

3600 fairly grueling yards last night; somewhere near half of it was non-freestyle stroke work.

Dagmar, I have a lot in common with your DH; my addiction of choice tends to be puzzle video games. It's funny how you can be hit from all sides with the simple fact that exercise works far, far better for stress relief, and yet until we can truly internalize that the other habits just plain don't work ... we'll keep right on doing them. I'm not a big fan of Dr. Phil, but I do like the one phrase he uses a lot : "How's that workin' for ya?"

I haven't had sardines in a long time. I'm convinced to try them again.

silverbirch
12-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Devilled sardines on toast are very nice.

traveling michele
12-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Sardines!? Yuck! Sorry!! I'm thinking about going back and having tuna for lunch though.....

Today will be a real challenge for me. Steely resolve it is (hopefully). It is my staff party after work. It's at my new boss' house so I have to make an appearance. Everyone is bring appetizers or desserts. I signed up to bring beer which is ironic since I don't drink but it was an easy thing to pick up and not deal with. I think I will get there about 4:30 and leave about 5:30 (it runs from 3:30-6:30). I will miss my regular yoga (4:30) but if I leave the party in time and bring everything with me, I can make the 6:00 class. Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep at all last night so I'm hoping I can stick to my resolve. I came home from work yesterday and dh was on the roof putting up Christmas lights-- better late than never. He wanted them up before our girls come home. He was up late packing and up early to leave for the airport to go to Houston which is why I didn't get much sleep. He'll visit with his parents, his brother and family (coming from London with their new baby and toddler), and pick up my dd to return here on Christmas Eve.

Two more days of work for me before my break. The kids are crazy.... Hope I survive....

alinnell
12-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I bought some sardines for Chico (suggested by a friend). Nope, even he doesn't like them (although the cats did). I was actually surprised that they didn't smell. I guess I remember DH eating kipper snacks once--those things could clear a whole house!

We still don't have Christmas lights up so we probably won't have them this year. DD and her fiance will be here Friday night and we'll do a lunch gift exchange on Saturday before they go back home. I think they're flying to Seattle on Sunday. The only holiday decorating at home is four poinsettia plants that DH bought from Costco last weekend and they may not make it to Christmas as Louie keeps tearing them up. Don't worry, he doesn't eat them he just likes to destroy them.

delmarva
12-19-2013, 11:52 AM
I was anti sardine until I noticed the rising problem with metals in tuna and other large fish. THe cheap sardines are nasty tasting. But it is an eye opening experience to taste small fresh tasting sardines like those from King Oscar in extra virgin olive oil. I've had good smoked sardines from Bar Harbor, and Reese's water packed sardines are great for cooking.

Seriously - give them a shot - it will be so much different than you remembered! And, because they are small fish, you don't have the problems with toxins like the bigger ones.

Good luck with the logistics, Michele! My husband is a pilot, so he works this time of year pretty heavily. Our Christmas is in January, instead, ideally while visiting some place warmer :gift:

Arctic Mama
12-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Whoa! I think I got the kick in the butt I need to stop dinking around with these few extra pounds. My bras are worn out and so I ordered more from my favorite company, in the same size as my old ones that I've worn to death. That size fit at the end of summer.

Yeah.

It wasn't pretty.

I can get them hooked, but I'd guess I have an extra inch or two around my ribs that has been added with my weight. Despite friends and family commenting that I look slimmer lately, it's not the case and I need to rein it in big time. Even my pants weren't being as honest as the bra bands have been, since they all still fit - all but one bra (with a very stretchy band) was extremely tight in a way that I'd advise another person to go up a band size (and I'm a lingerie fitting n*zi, so this says something!).

I ate a cookie off plan today, and a piece of chocolate mango. I'm above my daily carbs and below my daily calories. But I've gotten the message - overeating on food AND carbs too high is fattening me back up and I'm not taking this crap laying down. Hmph!

neurodoc
12-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Arctic Mama, do you lift weights? If so, you may be getting the bane of female weight-lifters - broad back syndrome :>) Girls aren't supposed to have deltoids and lats, at least not according to the clothing manufacturers. And while deltoid hypertrophy isn't an issue for bras, lats and other back muscles are.

Michele, I realized I didn't reply to your query about questioning the low BF%. Yes, I challenged it. He grudgingly admitted that it could be off by 2-3% from a dunk tank measure, but also said that there was no way it could be off by the 5-8% that it was too low to my way of thinking.

As for sardines- what a great idea. I LOVE them, and haven't eaten any in a really long time. Do the King Oscars come with the nasty backbone bits removed? That's a real turn-off for me, even though it's supposed to be a good calcium supplement.

My weight gain appears to be stabilizing. Holding steady between 130 and 132 for nearly 2 weeks now, on about 1700 cal/day. Today, I increased to 1900 based on the dietician's advice. We shall see what the 5 day trip to Toronto brings.

delmarva
12-19-2013, 10:42 PM
The double layers are teeny tiny sardines. So, there is no noticeable bone at all. Make sure you get the DOUBLE layer in olive oil. These are Norwegian sardines, not the Portuguese brisling sardines that you normally see. Mellower flavor, much smaller, no bone issues like with the larger ones. You're right, neurodoc, they are great for calcium! They are even available inside the larger Walmarts ($2.52 a tin)... in our area, I swear Walmart is beginning to compete with Whole Paycheck (I mean, Whole Foods). It's filled with gourmet items - things like organic peanut butters of all types, specialty eggs, exotic fruits... it's bizarre.

delmarva
12-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Neurodoc may have nailed it, ArcticMomma - back and pect/delt/lat workouts also increased my chest size. But, once I really picked up the swimming, I seemed to have stretched back out, and "leaned out" even while I keep getting stronger. Exercise could be indeed be affecting the bra fit! I found that adding more high intensity cardio seems to be doing a better job of helping me generally reduce the fat across my belly and back - obviously through metabolism changes, but it's helping.

Mudpie
12-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Sardines . . . hmmm :chin:. I'm getting tired of eating a piece of cheese after work (and a boiled egg and 10 mini carrots are my mid-afternoon snack) so the sardines might well be an option. I am NOT a fan of tuna :barf: in any form and I find the big cans of salmon sit around in the fridge after I have one serving.

I'll have to find a canadian equivalent to those you're mentioning and I'll have to hide :sssh: them from DH - he loves stinky things in oil. :lol:

I am going to do a semi-fast this weekend to give me some wiggle room Christmas Eve and Day. Turns out DH will be here (freezing rain in the forecast so driving his 13 year old car on the highway is not a good idea) so I'll eat dinners with him but have a very light brekkie and lunch. And only one coffee in the morning and then mint tea for the rest of the day.

I think I'm going to be taking a lot of naps the next week or so. :D

Dagmar :coffee: no more!

saef
12-20-2013, 06:49 AM
This morning, I'm 150.9, and sore from my treadmill running in a way that I'm never sore from spin.

Yes, I actually lost weight on the week before Christmas.

And I thank everyone for talking about what back muscles can do to the fit of clothes. Yesterday I put on a vintage Ralph Lauren blazer that I bought in March, and that just barely fit me back then -- bought it on eBay, based on the seller's measurements -- and found it was nowhere near fitting me. That made me sad. But what interested me was that it was tight in the shoulders and upper arms. That is unusual for me. In the past, when a blazer didn't fit me, the shoulders and arms would be fine or even loose while it wouldn't button across my breasts and stomach. This time, I knew it wouldn't fit the minute I shrugged into it, before even trying to button it. It's only a faint crumb of comfort to know that I didn't simply eat my way up one size; instead, I've exercised my way up one size.

traveling michele
12-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Remember me buying some clothes online on Black Monday (or whatever it's called-- I'm operating on no sleep or coffee)? I tried on the three dresses I bought. Two are one size, and one is a size smaller. The smaller one and one of the larger ones fit great. The other one (larger size)-- I can't even pull it over my head. It's going back obviously.

As I was typing, a little girl came in to the library to give me a present. She said-- open it-- it's your favorite! Every year she gives me Toblerone. This year she also gave me Lindt truffles. Dh and dd's will be having very high quality chocolate this year!Hopefully I won't.

Dagmar-- I need to also get down some before the real holidays hit so I'm not even higher next year. I gained six pounds last year during the holidays and I've been battling them unsuccessfully all year. Not this year. No way. No how. (hopefully)

JayZeeJay
12-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi all,

Sorry for being AWOL for a while. I fell into a pit of work craziness and personal craziness, but at least one result is that we finally bought a house! We've been trying for a while but the bidding wars out here have repeatedly crushed our hopes. I think being one of the few couples desperate enough to keep trying over the holidays paid off.

I also found that article about the nut metabolism etc. very interesting.

Re the clothes fitting - I've never had great luck with fitted jackets and blazers given my broad shoulders. Even when I weighed around 125 (for five minutes in college), my shoulders were very broad so I think it's just my skeletal framework.

I haven't weighed myself in a while, my ancient digital scale finally died. I had planned to get a new one soon, see how the two compared, then switch over. Too late now! I think I've probably maintained this month with little loss, but hopefully little gain too.

Shannon in ATL
12-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Taryl - I just had the same thing happen, exactly. I ordered three new bras in the same size and exact style as the old, stretched out ones I'm currently wearing. Um, no. Not very comfortable at all. I think I have women weight lifter back, shoulders and thighs, all have increased in size. LOL

alinnell
12-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Congrats on getting a house, Jay!!!!

I can never get the same bras twice in a row. I find I like a certain style, they start to look worn (even after just a year) and I go to order a new one and the style is gone. My last attempt had me order three (one in each of the three "normal" colors) and I tried it on, even tried wearing it for a while. The thing just HURT. So I took them back and ordered a different style (which I like a lot). Perhaps I should just go and buy three more and stow them away for next year?

BillBlueEyes
12-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I couldn't take it - all this talk of sardines. So I ditched my planned standard peanut butter, banana, and pecan sandwich for . . . King Oscar sardines, in olive oil, double layer, cross pack.

So good.

Thanks for reminding me. I buy them then forget them in the pantry.

I've always assumed that a can is a single serving. I have no concept of putting a half can of sardines in the fridge - the delightful sardine smell would be much less delightful when it impregnated all the other foods.

Arctic Mama
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm definitely not discounting some dimensional changes in my back and shoulders - that has been one of my primary focuses in my TTap workouts lately, since I tend to naturally round out my shoulders and hunch if I'm not conscientious of my posture.

And then there's the way-too-much-food thing, too :lol:

Probably a little of column a, little of column b. I have always been broad up top and a mesomorph, by body type. Strengths training tends to tighten me up and cinch me in, but in a garment like bras (especially while I'm still nursing) I could see even small dimensional changes feeling noticeable to me.

Either way - I'm not going to stop my workouts and I DO need to stop my unplanned snacking issue in the evenings. I'm giving myself permission to undermine my goals, and that's not cool at all.

Last night, for example, I was doing great. And then I made gingerbread icecream. What was I doing even perusing a dessert blog, low carb or no? While I'd rather have an on-plan treat on hand so I don't dive into a pile of fruitcake, it would have been wiser to wait until today, when I was hungry and had the calorie and carb budget to spend, to make that batch. Little things like that have added up over the fall and those are the areas I want to put a concerted effort into adjusting.

bargoo
12-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Excuse me, folks, I am off to the pantry to see if I have any sardines.

bargoo
12-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Devilled sardines on toast are very nice.

How do you make these ?

krampus
12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Sardines are actually one of a very few foods I can't stand! More for you guys.

Bulge alert - my usual range of 118-121 max is now 120-123 max. Definitely holiday pounds - exercise hasn't been amazing of late and there have been lots of sweets (and chicken wings) finding their way into my belly.

My bra size is something ridiculous like 34AA. The bra-fitting police are skeptical, but I really am that flat and that jacked - lots of lat pulldowns, pullups, chinups, the works.

Shannon in ATL
12-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I've never eaten sardines, ever. How should I try them first? I find them a little intimidating. :)

silverbirch
12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
How do you make these ?

I mash them up (bones an' all) with a little bit of paprika or possibly chile powder. Toast the bread on one side (under the grill). Turn over. Pile the mashed sardines across the other side and grill until hot. Eat with a little something green, perhaps watercress. I have been known to prepare a clementine or something like that and arrange the segments nicely on the plate.

Note: I think that 'grill' is 'broil' in American. I'll just go and check. ... Yes, under a source of direct, dry heat.

It's an ideal small and comforting lunch. The secret, I think, is not to let the toast burn at the edges.

Arctic Mama
12-20-2013, 05:25 PM
I couldn't take it - all this talk of sardines. So I ditched my planned standard peanut butter, banana, and pecan sandwich for . . . King Oscar sardines, in olive oil, double layer, cross pack.

So good.

Thanks for reminding me. I buy them then forget them in the pantry.

I've always assumed that a can is a single serving. I have no concept of putting a half can of sardines in the fridge - the delightful sardine smell would be much less delightful when it impregnated all the other foods.

I'm pretty sure the can is single serving, sardines are delicate and spoil easily. I always just record the data for the whole can and enjoy every bite :)

Arctic Mama
12-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Sardines are actually one of a very few foods I can't stand! More for you guys.

Bulge alert - my usual range of 118-121 max is now 120-123 max. Definitely holiday pounds - exercise hasn't been amazing of late and there have been lots of sweets (and chicken wings) finding their way into my belly.

My bra size is something ridiculous like 34AA. The bra-fitting police are skeptical, but I really am that flat and that jacked - lots of lat pulldowns, pullups, chinups, the works.

You have a really broad ribcage! Mine is also a 32-34, I'm just forty pounds heavier than you :). Women come in all shapes and sizes, if you've measured properly and have a well cut bra, there's no problem being smaller in the bust. It's just a different aesthetic than a larger bust, and arguably a heck of a lot easier to clothe! I'm a 32I in us sizes right now, and a 75H from this particular manufacturer. Most clothing is cut way too closely in the bust and having broad shoulders and a broad back just worsens that.

In my wedding pictures to my husband, all fat aside, I look like a linebacker :o. He is tall and slender, I'm short and broad. Oh well!

Arctic Mama
12-20-2013, 05:30 PM
I've never eaten sardines, ever. How should I try them first? I find them a little intimidating. :)

If you're lazy like me, I pop the can, drain lightly, and then squirt on some yellow mustard. Fork is optional :D

Hot sauce is also an excellent sardine topping, as are capers and lemon juice. Salt may or may not be useful, it depends on what brand of sardine we're talking about.

Mudpie
12-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Bill Your original sandwich (peanut butter etc.) sounds scrumptious! If I may be nosy how many calories is in it and how do you make it re amounts of ingredients and type of bread?

delmarva
12-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I eat them on Carr's water crackers.
I eat half a can. With what's left, later, I saute some shallots (NOT scallions), garlic and capers in olive oil. Once shallots are soft, add green beans (which have been steamed and are a little crispy), add italian spices to suit, saute for a little while longer, and add maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar, and a tiny pat of butter. At the end, add in the left over sardines, mince them, and stir. This is pretty standard Italian preparation for sardines. Aside from steaming the green beans, the dish is made in under 10 minutes.

bargoo
12-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Sardines and crackers with maybe a little mustard. Grey Poupon preferred.

Ija
12-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I mash them with up with some garlic, celery, mustard and vinegar, and roll it with a pita, one of my favorite lunches!

saef
12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
This is one thing that I do with sardines -- a pantry dish except for the broccoli.

Bunch broccoli, cut in bite-size pieces
1 tin sardines
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. oil from tinned sardines (if water-packed, use olive oil -- sesame oil is also good)
1 tbsp. sugar (I substitute Splenda)
1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, crushed

Steam the broccoli till it's as toothsome as you like it. Meanwhile, combine soy sauce, oil, sugar, pepper flakes & garlic in a small bowl. Dump broccoli into the bowl, break up sardines into same bowl, add dressing and toss. Serve hot or cold.

BillBlueEyes
12-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Bill Your original sandwich (peanut butter etc.) sounds scrumptious! If I may be nosy how many calories is in it and how do you make it re amounts of ingredients and type of bread?

Two slices whole wheat sandwich bread crusts (the ends). Toasted.
Spread peanut butter. I say 1 TBS, but it's probably more.
Stick 12 toasted, lightly salted, pecan halves on the peanut butter.
Add one banana, quartered so that it sits atop the pecans.

Don't know the calories.

Since bread crusts only appear about once a week around this kitchen, I substitute whole wheat sandwich thins (100 calories for both halves instead of the 100 calories per slice of bread).

If you don't add the banana, the peanut butter sticks to the roof of my mouth - one of the best childhood memories in the world.

Mudpie
12-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Bill Thanks! I'm going to have one for brekkie tomorrow. :drool:

Dagmar :D

CherryPie99
12-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Grilled peanut butter and banana is my Saturday treat lunch!!

saef
12-27-2013, 10:02 AM
A remarkably good weigh-in today. I'm down to 150, exactly, which is a loss of about a pound since last Friday.

Maybe I can see the 140s again during January, a weight I haven't seen since late last March according to my journal.

I'm attributing this to changing up my cardio and running on a treadmill twice weekly for the past two weeks.

Also no Christmas treats whatsoever, though I've eaten pineapple and guavas, my new obsession, and lots of apples.

Mudpie
12-28-2013, 07:29 AM
I am ready for the holiday eating and drinking to be over :barf:. I have one more set of guests to host tomorrow and then I'm going to take a week and try to restrict my calories and restore my body. It seems that even a small overindulgence now takes a lot longer to work its way out of my system - ie I will be paying for that 3rd beer last night for days. As well as for the crackers I ate following the beer.

There are all sorts of bits of holiday treats still in the house. I think I will throw most of them away after tomorrow. I seem to be in control with the belgian chocolate and will continue to eat ONE per day until its gone. Everything else will go out. I think DH will co-operate with this. He usually wants to EAT all the leftovers but I think he's quite serious about losing weight now.

Back to work on Monday. I'm not happy :( about that - I've enjoyed the days that I was able to mostly hang out with DH and the cats - but DH will be down to 2 days a week and I'm losing 20% of my income by the middle of January so there isn't a chance of my taking another week off.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

traveling michele
12-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Glad you had a good weigh in Saef.

I'm struggling mightily. I'm worried about my family members. Dh is sick with a bad cold and dd's are both having some struggles. I'm not indulging at all but I'm sure I'm eating more and moving less. The scale is rising accordingly. I was trying hard to be under 130 at the new year but that's looking unlikely. I will have at least one very indulgent meal on January 2 to celebrate dd's bday before she leaves. I'm trying not to be self critical but not succeeding. I'm going to have to reevaluate my eating and change something.

Mudpie
12-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Last eating day :xcheer:. All holiday food goes out in the trash after today. I have hosted all my family and several friend this past month and it's time for a break and a bit of dieting.

Dagmar :tired: of :hungry:

ICUwishing
12-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Our last big day is tomorrow night when several extremely competent cooks take over our kitchen and create a Cajun feast.

I am glad we're getting to the end of this. I think I've had less to drink this season than usual (good), but I have had a lot more trouble managing the cookies (bad). I've noticed some new, or should I say, old bulges making a reappearance on my waist. I don't like them any more this time than I did last time.

I will be among the legions that start off 2014 with vows to eat better; I guess the comfort is that I am also among the few that will actually do it for more than a week.

alinnell
12-30-2013, 10:29 AM
New Year's Day is my last big eating day. We celebrate 3 birthday and have lasagna.

I've been maintaining at about the same weight since we got home from our cruise. That much is good news. The bad news is the actual weight I am maintaining.

silverbirch
01-01-2014, 12:27 PM
A very Happy New Year to you all!

Bulge is still winning in Silverbirch vs Bulge. I think I'm giving up butter. That doesn't sound very sure, does it? All the same, winding the clock back to look into the past tells me that when it made a reappearance in the household was when things started to go wrong. I'll give it up on bread and toast because if bread or toast cannot be eaten without butter then they are not good enough to eat. I'll still use it if it's required in a recipe (like white sauce).

Now wrestling with myself not to make buttered sourdough toast.

BillBlueEyes
01-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Happy New Year to all.

The battle continues with small progress that should be celebrated with gusto but simmers under the expectation that three pounds a week would be faster. If I keep going at the pace I'm doing, the recent harm from too much snacking can be rolled back.

Marching on.

ICUwishing
01-01-2014, 01:32 PM
December was a 5# gain. Ticker is adjusted, and we'll move forward from here.

traveling michele
01-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Happy New Year all.

Time to reflect and set new goals. I definitely met my exercise goals last year but my weight isn't where I want it. I was 130 on January 1 last year and 130 today so I look like I maintained. However, my 130 last year was after an indulgent trip and it went down after. Today's weight is the weight I've been hovering around for months. Tonight is my one big splurge-- we are going to a very nice restaurant to celebrate dd's 23rd birthday. I'm worried I'll be over 135 tomorrow but hopefully it will be temporary.

My workout goals for the year will be to exercise 365 times with at least 250 of the workouts being bikram yoga. I'm going to work on several yoga goals for the year and also work on my strength through weights and other workouts.

I'm going to evaluate my food and try some different things this year to try to get back to my sweet spot or at least back below my redline!

silverbirch
01-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Reporting that I did not make buttered sourdough toast.

I think I'll prioritise (gymn) exercise this year which should encourage the other priorities to fall into line as I'll have more energy and stamina. I am shocked and appalled that two (2) people gave up their seats for me on the London Underground in the last two days. The SO says that when I look wrecked, I really look wrecked. (He actually said "knackered" which is even worse.)

ICUwishing
01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
silverbirch, well done with following through on your intentions! Perhaps the folks on the Underground had made late-year resolutions to stand more, based on recent publications about how "sitting is the new smoking"? I get the shock, though - I am almost ready to succumb to coloring my hair again, just because I've been treated so differently based on that single appearance item. :mad:

Michele, I am simply in awe of your exercise achievements and goals.

Bill, multiple small successes add up to big successes. :yes:

I need to look up our old resolutions thread from last year. I did start swimming and I am definitely moving more ... I think I will track my cumulative swimming and running activities this year and see how far I get.

Today, I ate like a sane person who wants to fit into her clothes and get a balanced level of various nutrients. :woohoo:

saef
01-01-2014, 08:49 PM
The SO says that when I look wrecked, I really look wrecked. (He actually said "knackered" which is even worse.)

Birchie, you'll have to explain this one to us Americans. I'm going to guess at it. From reading 19th century novels, I know that the knacker was a tradesman who took away dying or dead horses for rendering. So if you looked "knackered," does that mean you looked as though you were ready for the slaughterhouse?

No idea what my weight is, as my weigh-in day is Friday, but I'm going to guess that I'm still around 150 or slightly less, as I haven't eaten anything particularly interesting or celebratory this week.

silverbirch
01-02-2014, 03:29 AM
To knacker (vulg) - to tire something out, to damage severely

Thanks, saef, for raising the red flag and helping out. You're right, it's linked to the knacker's yard.

Good idea, Becky. I'll hang on to that thought. My sister also asked me if I've been in a fight as I've got a few red, scab-like things on my face as a result of ointment, treatment for sun damage.

Things can only get better. Going home today after more than two weeks on the road. I'm going to sleep on the train.

Shannon in ATL
01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Michele - great job on the exercise. I was doing really well until I got sick three weeks ago, and now I'm closing in on day 21 with no exercise at all. I'd rather have your record. :)

Birchie -good job avoiding the toast. I would have no problem giving up butter, as I eat it so seldom. Peanut butter, now that is another story.

I don't want to think about my weight. Today I was 10 pounds up from my low point in October. I know that a couple of pounds of that is from the salt and fast food yesterday, but not all. So need to change the ticker to reflect reality and start afresh. I'm considering buying a training plan by Nia Shanks, anyone heard of her? Realistically, I know what to do, but I would like someone to give me a plan to follow. I'll either buy Nia's or go back to my friend Steve to custom build me one.

I'm stiff and sore and can feel that I haven't exercised in weeks. The problem with getting sick the week before Christmas - I planned a week off at the time, and that week has since become three.

Shannon in ATL
01-02-2014, 02:21 PM
I just bought the Nia Shanks 'Train to be Awesome' program. I'm already a little stressed, honestly. Step one says this "Say this out loud. "I am not flawed and therefore I don't need to be repaired." Say it, and MEAN IT." The rest are similar. That makes me nervous. I suspect that is a bad sign about my current mental health. LOL There is also a step where I have to get a notebook and write something in the log every day that I did to make me and my life even more awesome. As I've been pretty negative lately I think I need that.

There are six markers I have to track - four specific exercise performance markers and two subjective markers (how I feel, how my clothes fit) that I have to measure and log at the beginning and then measure and log at the end of the program. Those are the only things I track during this time, other than specific weights and reps for the exercise. For the sixteen weeks of the program I don't weigh myself. I don't count calories, unless I want to do so for the first few weeks to settle. I follow sensible eating habits, which are very similar to what I was doing before Christmas worked me into a free for all.

I can do the strength workouts either 3x per week or every other day. I'm going to pick 3x per week, M-W-F. I have three options for cardio in between, I'm going to have to work on that. Maybe run 2x, do some yoga in there.

I have to read the entire book before I start, hopefully I'll dive in on Monday.

traveling michele
01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Shannon.. Haven't heard of the program but it sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes.

I'm just ready for my girls to leave. They don't get along and seem to push each other's buttons on purpose. I'm taking them out tonight to a wine and painting class. I'm hoping they can get along for a few hours. Older dd leaves in the morning so we will start towards normalcy.

silverbirch
01-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Reporting that I am not making buttered toast this morning. I do not need a two course breakfast because we don't have enough fruit in the house.

No butter yesterday. Streak is 2.

Interesting, Shannon. You're Awesome already, of course. The sub-editor in me makes this book's title Train to Be More Awesome. Please tell us how it's going, won't you?

Michele :hug:

ETA Mid-afternoon here with very little to eat for a snack and I'm waiting for someone to come to mend the electricity cable which is swinging dangerously in the wind. Shannon, you're dead right about peanut butter so I'm going to stop eating that as well. Perhaps I should stop eating anything called 'butter'.

I'll give myself a little flexibility here. Despite having eaten some peanut butter just now, if I eat no more today I'll call my streak 3 tomorrow, and move on from there.

krampus
01-03-2014, 01:17 PM
No bulge this holiday season. I had a stomach bug or something from Dec 26 until yesterday. No violent illness or serious malaise, but I was ahem "going" quite a lot.

Thanks immune system for this blessing in disguise - no sitting on the toilet vomiting into the sink for me.

neurodoc
01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
133.4 yesterday and today. I'm officially declaring defeat on the experiment of eating more food in order to increase my metabolism. I can only hope that at least 1-2 pounds of the gain is actually muscle, since I've been "lifting heavy" the last month (up to 135 pounds for deadlifts and squats, up to 95 pounds for bench presses). But no matter what my BodyMedia Fit device (or the health-calc.com site) claims is my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (1900-2300 cal/day), I continue to gain weight at the rate of ~1/2 pound per week when eating between 1600 and 2000 cal/day. I am very sad but clearly need to get over it, or I will bust out of my remaining clothes in another month or so. So, along with a legion of red-blooded Americans in January, I am going back to restricting, and pray it doesn't lead to the kind of binging/dissociative eating that was the ultimate cause of this whole problem to begin with. I am telling myself that I did not binge for the many months it took me to get from 160s down to 120 the first time, and that it is clearly not an inevitable byproduct of a low-cal. way of life. So, back to 1400-1600 cal/day. The one change I will make from prior efforts is to plan a 300 cal/day late-evening (4th) meal, to consist of the fat and carbs I always crave at that hour, making dinner much lighter than I have in the past. That will mean 300/300/600/300, aiming for at least 100 gm protein. I CAN DO THIS.

krampus
01-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Those are impressive lifts. You can pull more than your own weight!

BillBlueEyes
01-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Ouch for that stomach bug, krampus, despite its silver lining of preventing holiday weight gain.

I, too, am impressed with the weights you're lifting, neurodoc. Wish you well in finding the specific path you're looking for.

All our eating occasions are done; I survived with a small loss instead of a gain so I'm pleased. The current goal is to take a break from shoveling snow without having an extra snack to compensate for having done some minor work.

It's cold around here. Minus 2 Fahrenheit is cold to me.

saef
01-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Up to 150.9, in the wrong direction, and this is probably due to working from home for two weeks straight, which means there's a kitchen near my desk and that I'm a little lonely.

Still, I'm lower than when the holidays began, so that's something. And I'm interested in what my treadmill running twice a week may do for me, and also in how increasing weights may make changes in me. It seems to have roused my appetite, sadly.

It's snowy here and the roads and driveways and parking spaces all have arteriosclerosis.

silverbirch
01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
No butter yesterday (Friday 3rd). Streak is 3.

I realise that wearing shoes with heel supports (not slippers or sandals) indoors supports my feet which has a direct and beneficial effect on my ankles, knees, hips and SI joint. I think I might buy myself a groovy pair in a funky colour rather than making do with a pair of black outdoor ones. And this will mean that I keep fit to do more focused exercise.

neurodoc, impressive lifting. Good luck with the new phase of eating. I like the idea of planning for your evening desire for carbs and fat.

You've looked at this infuriating development from all angles, I know, so forgive me if I go onto well-trodden ground again, especially as I'm a rank amateur in this area. Are you content that your body is getting and being able to use OK proportions of fat, carbs, protein, etc? And that you're getting and being able to use all the necessary vitamins and minerals? What about the potential of fibre to pad out your carbs without adding any extra calories?

I remember that you had an appointment with some kind of dietician before Christmas and that it wasn't particularly useful. Is there any mileage in trying someone else?

saef, increasing weights makes me absolutely ravenous.

ETA: you can't tell from my avatar but I am totally ripped. ..... Well, some of my muscles are pretty good. :)

neurodoc
01-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Actually, I got several useful pieces of advice from the dietician. First and foremost is that "planning for the evening binge" thing. Honestly, in all the years I've been resisting the impulse to eat (carbs) after dinner, it never once entered my mind that it might be OK to actually eat after dinner. Yeah, I know, all those years of higher education and so on, but really I've been so heavily indoctrinated into the "eating near bedtime is bad" thing that the one solution I didn't think of was giving in to it in a planned way (other than a measly mini bag of low-fat popcorn, which was totally inadequate and set me up for failure).

The other big change I'm working on is striving for 120 grams of protein per day (that's 480 cals worth, if you're counting). Supposedly, you need that much if you're trying to build muscle mass without going over TDEE. It's really, really hard to do that on a total calorie allotment of 1400-1600 though, and since I made the decision to restrict cals again, I've spent the last day researching high-protein low cal options. I prefer to consume whole foods only, not supplements, but it looks like I'll be adding whey protein powder to some of my carbs for awhile - otherwise I'd live on nothing but meat and fish with garnishes :>)

The third important thing I got from the dietician was a reality check. My resting metabolic rate is NOT broken, and my body fat % is not the 25% I had assumed (though guaranteed not to be 17%; I rechecked with calipers at my gym and it's north of 20%).

For the record, sustained cardio makes me much hungrier than weight lifting. I no longer do more than ~30 min of cardio machines for that very reason (and I prefer to do 12 min of HIIT instead - same calorie burn, 1/3 of the time :>)

alinnell
01-04-2014, 12:12 PM
There was an article in the LA Times today about IF and I asked DH if he had read it. He said he scanned it. I've been reading up on IF and we discussed it a bit and both agreed to give it a try. So, starting next week (Monday) we'll embark. We already have a fairly healthy diet so we'll stick to that and take two days a week where we either don't have dinner, have a very light dinner, or have a whole day of light eating (they recommend only 600 calories on the fasting days). I remember back when I was losing the best and I was skipping dinner about once a week and it really did help.

JayZeeJay
01-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Hi all, and happy new year!

This holiday break was a bit rocky - I came down with a bad virus on Christmas and it lasted a full week. It was mostly respiratory with fever, aches etc. It did markedly suppress my appetite, but with the rebound effect of my being voraciously hungry once I started to feel better. Current weight is 139.5 - not great, not terrible. Time to start watching calories again (I haven't for almost a month).

2014 has not started out well: On the 1st, I lost my new iPhone. Fortunately a good Samaritan found it and took it home, so I eventually got it back. On the 2nd, I put my (fancy) mountain bike on my brand-new bike racks on the back of my car, and apparently locked it in place wrong. About a mile down the road I looked into my rearview mirror... no bike. I pulled over immediately but I was so afraid to see the damage that I couldn't get out. Fortunately, it could have been worse. The rear wheel stayed in place so the handlebars and front tire were dragged. We went to the bike store, I spent $250 on new parts, and my fiance fixed it. It turns out that the instructions for the racks CLEARLY state how to mount the bike. Cost of stupidity: $250.

Andrea: best of luck re-starting the more restricted calorie intake. I will be aiming for a net of 1400-1600 calories for now (I subtract any definitive exercise from my gross calorie intake - some of you don't do that, I believe. I'm not sure how accurate any of my calculations are, especially after our recent discussions, but I set my daily activity as "slightly active" even though I am on my feet a fair bit.)

silverbirch
01-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks, Andrea. I hate protein powder with a vengeance. I'd much rather eat real food, if at all possible, but I know it's a challenge to eat enough protein and keep the calories down. The infamous tuna shake or the slightly less infamous cottage cheese shake are staples in the bodybuilding world, of course. There's also Krista Scott-Dixon's cottage cheese page (http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page).

Interesting, Allison. I read this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25549805) yesterday about the 'good things' IF did to the journalist's body (blood pressure, growth hormone). Like you, I also did better at losing weight when I missed a meal now and then.

JayZeeJay, yes, a bad start to the year but things can only get better, surely? Happy New Year as from now!

Mudpie
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Wow! Birchie thanks for the cottage cheese page link. I love cottage cheese right out of the container, and finding out it can be heated and combined with stuff for pasta is awesome! :yay: I never buy it anymore but that will change with next week's grocery shopping.

I am another who does NOT like tuna :barf: in any canned form. Maybe rinsed and combined with cottage cheese and some kind of seasoning will change my mind. :shrug:

I have to start looking at recipes online. :yes:

Dagmar :cheer2:

traveling michele
01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Yes, thanks for the cottage cheese link! I often eat it plain and didn't think to use it in recipes.

Jayzeejay-- hopefully the rest of the year will go more smoothly.

Andrea... I'm sorry your experiment proved so disappointing. Good luck with your transition.

I did what I didn't want to do this holiday season which was gain more weight. Sigh. Dh leaves tomorrow for China again but I still have younger dd for a week. I was briefly 126 before the holidays but all the way up to 133 today. I'm back to work Monday as well so hopefully my usual routine will help. I did a double workout today... Spin followed by bikram yoga so I'm hopeful the scale will oblige some tomorrow if I behave well today.

I'm going to try some different things for lunch and dinner this week to try to shake things up.

Shannon in ATL
01-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Birchie - I'm picturing a sign like I have to hang for OSHA - "3 Days Without Butter!" with the number in a different font from the rest where it has been scratched out and rewritten for every successful day.

Andrea - sounds like good info from the dietician, sorry it didn't help more.

Jayzeejay - it can only go up from here. :)

Michele - with you on the gain. Getting back on point this weekend.

Allison - I have used IF and didn't really see a difference. It just made me grumpy. Hope it helps you guys though.

I have to go write in my awesome log - i have to note something I do every day to make myself more awesome. And love the edit on the title, Birchie.

Mudpie
01-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Winter may delay my return home tomorrow night. And prevent me from driving the gazillion miles to IKEA today to get the shelves we need to tidy up the basement.

BAH! :brr:

Dagmar :mad:

ICUwishing
01-05-2014, 12:48 PM
I keep forgetting to weigh myself in the morning - it's as if I am still thinking I'm on vacation from everything until I go back to work this year. With the weather, that could well end up being Tuesday. :shrug: I guess I didn't lose it too bad in December; I had to shop for slacks yesterday and came home with a selection that were all between size 8 and 10.

I did renew my Masters swimming membership. There is a meet next Sunday within an hour of me, and I really *should* go, if for no other reason than I can get some points for my team. :p I have to postmark my entry by the 8th. Decisions, decisions!

Shannon in ATL
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't have a problem with whey protein powder. It is really is nothing more than milk liquid (whey) that has been dried to coagulate and extract the protein solids, filtered, dried, and powdered. It's not artificial, and if you buy all natural it doesn't have any artificial flavors or sweeteners in it. It seems to me that it is no different from ricotta cheese which is the same whey that has been heated, coagulated, filtered, and strained, but not dried or powdered. I use a lot of it, and make sure that what I get doesn't have anything extra in it.

silverbirch
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Saturday or Sunday. Streak is 5. I fear I'm eating more sweet things to compensate but it'll all even out later on, I hope.

Glad the cottage cheese page was useful.

Shannon, I googled OSHA. Yes, the number is like that. There's a summer fete near here with a sign reused year after year as only the number needs to be changed. Thanks also for your comments on whey protein powder. I've never seen a natural version and I'd imagine that would be OK. The other stuff (banana, vanilla, strawberry, chocolate) is terrible.

Becky, I'd say 'just do it' about your swimming meet except that the weather sounds pretty dreadful in North America. Here, we have heavy rain and high winds, bringing huge floods and coastal damage.

Gymn today. There weren't too many people, the music wasn't too loud and I felt rather accomplished. It's also much warmer lying on a mat than at home.

Keep warm and dry, everyone.

alinnell
01-06-2014, 03:34 PM
I was just looking at photos of the winds and waves where you are Birchie. Kind of scary!

I like plain whey powder as well, but don't add it to too many things. I think that if I were being better at hitting the gym and doing some lifting it would be a huge benefit to me...

silverbirch
01-06-2014, 03:40 PM
I was just looking at photos of the winds and waves where you are Birchie. Kind of scary!

Yes. Quite. I was soaked to the skin just walking (being blown) 500 yards or so from the car. Full change of clothing needed, down to underwear. The wind is howling now but the fire is blazing.

Your weather seems to be pretty good over there in California! We might all have to migrate westwards. :)

ICUwishing
01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Getting some good interval training today, LOL. The snow on the driveway is taller than the output chute of our medium-sized snowblower. It's taking a long time to move; I'm only about 2/3 of the way through the top part, and still have 150' of driveway to clear so I can go to work tomorrow. Two good things - I have an ankle-length LLBean down coat that even this wind can't blow through, and my all-time favorite Christmas gift EVER: rechargeable heated mittens. :D

neurodoc
01-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I too got a little exercise today (and yesterday) by shoveling snow. We have gotten about 18 inches in the last 36 hours, with a bit more slated for later tonight. It's amazing how much hard work it is to pick up a shovel-full of snow 200 times.

Kids are getting 2 bonus snow days tacked onto their winter break, and they even closed Michigan State U. today (my workplace) so I got one too :>) Would be more exciting if it weren't currently -10F. Dagmar, how do you get your dogs to poop outside when it's this cold out? Mine doesn't want to stay outside long enough to "go."

Mudpie
01-07-2014, 07:24 AM
I too got a little exercise today (and yesterday) by shoveling snow. We have gotten about 18 inches in the last 36 hours, with a bit more slated for later tonight. It's amazing how much hard work it is to pick up a shovel-full of snow 200 times.

Kids are getting 2 bonus snow days tacked onto their winter break, and they even closed Michigan State U. today (my workplace) so I got one too :>) Would be more exciting if it weren't currently -10F. Dagmar, how do you get your dogs to poop outside when it's this cold out? Mine doesn't want to stay outside long enough to "go."

My guys all love the weather and they have no problem being outside. I'm having to use all sorts of strategies to keep them all out of the lake!

For your dog Andrea I would shut the door and watch the dog until he/she goes and then offer a small treat reward and let the dog back in. Gradually wean off the treat by offering it at random times and then just use praise. There's also more chance of the dog "going" if you consistently feed it at the same times and then let it out about 30 minutes after that.

silverbirch
01-07-2014, 10:25 AM
No butter or peanut butter on Monday. Streak is 6.

Iím thinking about adding no cakes, biscuits (cookies) or pastries. They donít play a large part in my life so it would be possible fairly easily. And having taken the decision once would take away any faint possibility when waiting in a queue somewhere. Iím very keen on streamlining and automating things at the moment. I donít have enough brain cells to go squandering them on unnecessary footling about.

OK. Thatís what Iíll do. No cakes, biscuits (cookies) or pastries.

Gymn today Ė just a little recreational rowing plus a little stretching.

Keep shovelling that snow, everyone. Youíre doing well!

Allison, Iím thinking of you and your sister and all your family. :hug:

ICUwishing
01-07-2014, 10:43 AM
DH and I made the trip to work today, leaving DH to enjoy his last day of sleeping in. His geometry teacher emailed a 13-page packet of review materials yesterday which was of course not at all appreciated. ;)

Pools are shut down with the schools that house them; it appears it will be Wednesday before I am able to get back in. I saw a scale number that was quite horrifying this morning. I'll call it a blip and a reminder to be vigilant with the foodstuffs ... it's time to embrace the routine again.

alinnell
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm (finally) on my last day of leftovers for lunch. I think leftovers, that are typically higher in calories than my diet entree lunches, are one of the main problems with my weight gain this time of year.

Shannon in ATL
01-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I think I need to throw away the upwards of 6 pounds of candy that I still have in my house.

I'm having a hard time with the positive points about myself that I'm supposed to be making in my awesome journal. I've been working on the question 'what do you like about your appearance' for three days.

We just bought a load of on sale furniture for the downstairs, putting in a lot of things we have put off for years. Sofa and loveseat, coffee and side table, wine chiller, sideboard, shelves to scatter around. We are building a bar in the dining room, putting in shelves to display curios, hanging small floating shelves around for knickkacks that have been put away for years, putting in a lot of led candles that run on timer to come on every day. We want to make our home more complete and peaceful, and I hope that will help with the positive speak. :)

High five on day 6, Birchie!

silverbirch
01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Shannon!

6lbs of candy? Unless you get rid of it you won't have room for all that new furniture.

Re. awesome appearance: I like my hair and skin. I've just started noticing my hands again. They are developing very fine wrinkles which go away when I clench my fists. I think they look amazing.

Allison, that's a very interesting point about leftovers. Almost all of ours are sent to work with the SO who seems to need huge amounts of food.

Becky, safe journey home! Sorry about your personal horror ... which reminds me to investigate the battery in my scales. It said 'Lo' yesterday morning which cannot have been a comment on my weight. Thanks, I'll go and do it now.

Mudpie
01-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Shannon Maybe you could try substituting "nice" or "good" for "awesome".

I have nice shiny hair, good muscle definition in my arms and legs, a nice butt (according to DH :lol:), and good strong hands.

Birchie I too have tiny wrinkles on my hands that disappear when I clench my fists. Too bad I can't do a similar thing with my face. :rofl:

Mudpie
01-08-2014, 06:31 AM
First post-holiday weigh in, along with the live-in and extreme cold weather eating :lol3: and it's about as bad :yikes: as I thought.

138.8 lbs.

I guess there's some advantage to social isolation - less eating. :dizzy:

Time to start seeing these :goodscale|: again. First step is to throw away the little bits of candy that are left and the cashew butter and handful of nuts/dried fruit. Late afternoon snack will now be mint tea and a bit of cottage cheese or rinsed tuna.

DH will now be preparing dinner about 3 nights a week. Don't know how I'll sidestep that but I'll figure it out.

Dagmar :sumo:

BillBlueEyes
01-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Loving the thought that 'Lo' on silverbirch's scale is a comment on her weight. Reminds me that I once lost two pounds by putting a fresh battery in my scale. As you, no doubt, have immediately guessed, it cost me a few batteries to learn that that only works once, LOL. I thought I had found the magic solution.

We're surviving the Polar Vortex. The warm days and rain just before removed much of the snow so maneuvering, walking, and parking aren't the big issues they can be.

Mudpie
01-08-2014, 10:30 AM
For February's thread can we incorporate "love handles" somehow? You know, for Valentine's :love:

Dagmar :p

ICUwishing
01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I joined a challenge at work that runs until March 9. Most of the challenge just involves remembering to track, but I will need to log my steps and minutes of exercise. I can also set a weight goal if I choose. It's not a bad system; at least it forces some awareness. :) I am going to shoot for 150, I think.

This is supposed to be the last day of the cold blast. It was -11 at 5:30am and it's already above 0. I'm working from home today to "supervise" DS prepping to go back to school tomorrow (planner, assignments, etc), and because the commute is still so messy it's just not worth the stress. Most of my department is doing the same thing. Of course, that means way too many opportunities to, uh ... to be GOOD with the meals and snacking. :angel:

traveling michele
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Yes, Birchie-- I loved your scale's comment too!

Becky-- I may be joining a challenge online but I haven't gotten all the details yet. Anything to keep us accountable!

My scale was rude this morning but I know it's a combination of zero exercise yesterday (took Jozi to the vet) and dd talking me into Chipotle for dinner. Though I choose very wisely there-- no rice-- bowl not burrito-- no cheese, guacamole or sour cream-- I know the sodium is sky high. My rings are super tight today!!

saef
01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
My doctor's scale said I was 160. I'm always four to five pounds higher on his scale than on mine at home, even without wearing winter-weight clothing during a cold snap, but this was a big shock.

I'm guessing a gain from this past weekend of working resentfully on my laptop and snacking, and so I'm hoping for something more like 153 this Friday when I step on the scale again -- which will have wiped out all of my work in November.

I need to shake off my fatigue with long-term restriction and think of ways to make my eating less ragged around the edges. That's what I think of it as: A neatening up & sharpening of generally good habits & choices.

traveling michele
01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I want to voice my displeasure with some food manufacturers and their deceptive labeling-- in particular Orowheat. I wanted to change up my lunches so thought I would try tunafish (I had been eating salads everyday). I studied all of my bread options closely and settled on a Pita Pocket. I quite enjoyed them and was happy with my choice until I went to pack today's lunch and looked again at the label. It is 100 calories for half a small pita. I was eating two halves so 200 calories just for my bread! I never would have bought it. I find this type of advertising misleading. Trader Joes also does it with some of their ready to eat salads. Most are 1 serving but there are a few that trickily are two. I think they put that they are two servings on the label just because label readers wouldn't buy a salad with 500 calories, but they will buy one with 250. Grrrrr..... Back to the drawing board. I brought a wrap today instead that is 60 calories for the whole wrap!

We've talked before about not realizing how many calories we eat for various reasons and I wonder how often this type of thing is the culprit?

Saef-- You'll be down quickly. If I recall, it was an evening appointment and you always weigh more in the evening than the morning-- not to mention the extra clothes! Did you check to see if the recommended doctor is in your network?

Shannon in ATL
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Michele - try FlatOut wraps.

silverbirch
01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. No cakes, biscuits or pastries. Streak is 7.

New battery in the scales = horrifying figure on the display. Not 'Lo', not at all. I'm telling myself that I'm doing harder and more regular workouts all of a sudden. I'm re-establishing excellent eating habits (and a temporary side-effect is a little bit of bonkers, off-piste eating). I'm keeping going.

Neatening up and sharpening generally good habits and choices. Thanks, saef. That's what I'm doing too but I think that my eating has become a bit blowsy rather than ragged. (Get rid of that doctor of yours as soon as you can, won't you?)

Saw my trainer this morning and he worked hard on my feet which had become rather tense and knotted over the last six weeks, with associated aches and pains in the lower body. We discussed it and decided that the probable culprits were hard concrete pavements in London and/or a new pair of boots. I'd put a pair of heel supports in the boots as a temporary measure as my feet hurt so much but they aren't going to be any good long term so I'll take them out and see where I get. Lots more ankle-twirling in my future, I think.

I like nutritional info per 100g better than serving sizes.

Mudpie
01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
I always check the label carefully now. I once bought a CASE of what I thought was super healthy carrot/veggie juice, and to find that its was 130 cals per 3/4 cup, rather than per 750 ml. bottle.

We Canadians enjoy having both metric and imperial, and French and English, on our labels. We are very well-read :lol3:. The cereal box alone can take up an entire breakfast's worth of time.

My beef is that the servings never come out even. There aren't 3 servings in a box - there are 2 and 5/8. We also do a lot of arithmetic here. :rofl:

silverbirch
01-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Impressive, Dagmar. I like the sound of your country.

CherryPie99
01-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Michele - try FlatOut wraps.

Or LaTortilla Factory makes a 90 calorie wrap which is DELICIOUS! (and big LOL)

Mudpie
01-09-2014, 06:19 AM
I reminded myself this morning why I don't weight more than 2X per week. :stress:

|Yesterday I was 138.8 lbs. This morning I am 137.6 lbs. :woohoo: right?

Except I ate close to 1600 cals yesterday and I know I didn't expend around 4000 cals (if we accept that 1 lb. is 3500 cals). So, even though the weight today is :goodscale: it is not accurate.

I am going to step on the scale every day until and including next Monday, just to give myself an added push in a downward direction. But the actual numbers will not "make or break" me. Too many other variables.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

silverbirch
01-09-2014, 06:49 AM
the actual numbers will not "make or break" me. Too many other variables.

Oh I do so agree!

No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. No cakes, biscuits or pastries. Streak is 8.

Just back from the gymn. Rowing (how I love it!) and stretching. I can feel my trainer's work yesterday in my left foot so I'm hopeful that everything will get back to its correct place and stop jamming up.

ICUwishing
01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Michele, I think your idea about calorie miscounting is spot-on. Information on a label is a great thing, but not when the facts are manipulated. I am starting to wonder, too, exactly who gets to make the determination about what a serving size actually is; I have run across a few foods where a stated single serving is obscenely small. Example - a prepared coleslaw where 1 serving was 1/4 cup. Seriously???

silverbirch - thumbs up on 8 days! I am glad you have someone who can help your sore feet.

Dagmar, I love the idea of bilingual labels - just getting familiar with how other languages look is still a step toward cognizance that the world is a pretty big place. Imperial measurement, though, needs to go the way of the dodo. I saw a map recently that shows which countries are still on the English system - it's rather embarassing. Why are you so sure that today's measurement is wrong? ;) It could have been that yesterday's was unusually low. That's why I try to weigh every day - just to get a sense of the variation. I forgot to mention I love your suggestion for February's thread title. :D

saef, you nailed it with the "neatening up and sharpening." That's exactly where I need to put my head for the rest of this winter.

I am going back to logging and tracking my weekly weight averages. I am solidly in the mid 150's and I don't like it here at all. :(

saef
01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
My gym's manager was getting her resume in order and asked me to look over it, as she's not comfortable with writing and business matters. I reworked some of it for her and explained why. In return, this morning she spent a couple minutes with me talking about lunges -- which I have never done, not having a "leg day" in my training routine -- and showing me the leg press machine. I'm amazed how this perked up my interest in gym-going.

Now the issue will be getting over a psychological hump. That is, changing up my routine. Let me name my fear here, which will perhaps rob it of some of its power: That change will result in loss & deterioration & regrets, rather than improvement. That I will somehow lose what was hard-won. Changing my routine will not mean that I'll regress or lose the benefit of what I was doing, right? And it may help me with running, which has been difficult for me.

And I do want to change my routine, not simply add more & more. I know the answer is not adding more hours per week, which I don't want to do & can't afford to do.

I'm supposed to be so good at change, at work. "Who Moved My Cheese?" & all of that s&^%t. So I hope I can be that way with this, too.

traveling michele
01-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Or LaTortilla Factory makes a 90 calorie wrap which is DELICIOUS! (and big LOL)

Yes, I've had this one too-- yummy!

Saef-- lunges and squats are excellent in my opinion... Squats are all the rage in getting a nice looking booty. Does your gym offer a class like body pump? I take it sometimes-- it is an hour of lifting weights to music-- you work everything from chest to back to biceps to legs....

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I've now done the first two of my workouts in my plan, plus the assessment. Yesterday was a no workout day, I'm supposed to do something fun and active on those days - some days I'll run, yesterday I took down half of the yard decorations, ran up and down the stairs doing six loads of laundry, brought in our new wine cooler and set it up, other misc activities. None of those were what I would actually call 'fun', but they were active. Well, the wine chiller will be fun. That is good. :)

CherryPie99
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
saef - I HATE HATE HATE leg days (I do have one once per week). Squats and lunges are the DEVIL'S work :dizzy:

That being said, they are MUCH more functional fitness then most arm and other upper body exercises. They engage your core more which is a good thing. AND - when I first started reading your message I was going to point out, but you already hit on it - if you are looking to improve your running, lunges and squats will DEFINITELY do that.

silverbirch - I am attributing my weight being up directly to my love of peanut butter. I don't know HOW you are living without it!!

Jen

bargoo
01-09-2014, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=traveling michele;4914356]I want to voice my displeasure with some food manufacturers and their deceptive labeling-- in particular Orowheat. I wanted to change up my lunches so thought I would try tunafish (I had been eating salads everyday). I studied all of my bread options closely and settled on a Pita Pocket. I quite enjoyed them and was happy with my choice until I went to pack today's lunch and looked again at the label. It is 100 calories for half a small pita. I was eating two halves so 200 calories just for my bread! I never would have bought it. I find this type of advertising misleading. Trader Joes also does it with some of their ready to eat salads. Most are 1 serving but there are a few that trickily are two. I think they put that they are two servings on the label just because label readers wouldn't buy a salad with 500 calories, but they will buy one with 250. Grrrrr..... Back to the drawing board. I brought a wrap today instead that is 60 calories for the whole wrap!

We've talked before about not realizing how many calories we eat for various reasons and I wonder how often this type of thing is the culprit?

Saef-- You'll be down quickly. If I recall, it was an evening appointment and you always weigh more in the evening than the morning-- not to mention the extra clothes! Did you check to see if the recommended doctor is in your network?[/

I love Oroweat Bread it is my favorite

Mudpie
01-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Lunges completely changed my butt. I would do "walking lunges" in the park when taking out my 2 old codgers and I (and DH - the *ss man) could see a visible difference in 3 weeks!

neurodoc
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Saef, I couldn't believe the amount of body "recomp" (trading fat for muscle) that I did when I went through the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. I'm told another good one is the "Lift like a Girl" program. Both of these plans use squats and lunges in various ways to achieve both core strengthening and shapelier butt/legs. I can't encourage you enough to give these moves a try, and to do a bit of reading to get a program that incorporates them safely and progressively. "Don't work out longer, work out smarter."

saef
01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Saef-- You'll be down quickly. If I recall, it was an evening appointment and you always weigh more in the evening than the morning-- not to mention the extra clothes! Did you check to see if the recommended doctor is in your network?

Bargoo, you are wise in the ways of the scale,and you are right.

I was 151.6 this morning.

So what happened at the doctor's office on Monday afternoon? Must've been a temporary water retention from the weekend snacking. In particular, I really tore into a rather salty roast chicken on Sunday night after it came out of the oven, rendering it like an animal. It had smelled so good. This is when I'm sorry that I'm eating alone, since the presence of another person would have inhibited me & made me behave.

Today's was one of those weigh-ins where you think all week that you're bloated and heavy and imagine all sorts of bodily distortion, only to find that your mind has messed with you and your self-perception. When this happens, I'm relieved but also rueful: All that self-recrimination, for nothing?

alinnell
01-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Stepped on the scale this morning and was met with what looked like a time rather than a weight. Somehow my housekeeper managed to change my scale from pounds to stones! It took all my brain power (at 4:55 AM) to figure out how to change it back! It apparently also weights in kilograms.

traveling michele
01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Stepped on the scale this morning and was met with what looked like a time rather than a weight. Somehow my housekeeper managed to change my scale from pounds to stones! It took all my brain power (at 4:55 AM) to figure out how to change it back! It apparently also weights in kilograms.

That's hilarious!!! I ordered a new scale that hasn't come yet. Not sure why I did as my scale is shockingly accurate but Jen posted it on her blog and it looked cool-- remembers your weight from the day before, doesn't have to be zeroed out, etc.

My dd leaves Sunday and I'm ready. I think she is too! She is grouchy with me about my working out. We talked about getting our nails done Saturday and yesterday she was whining that we should do them today. That would knock me out of exercise when we're already planning on eating dinner out. Hopefully we can just do it tomorrow and everyone can be happy!

silverbirch
01-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Stepped on the scale this morning and was met with what looked like a time rather than a weight.

:D Yes, that's what it's like. I hope your 'time' was earlier rather than later!

No butter or peanut butter on Thursday. Streak is 9.

Jen, I'm just doing it (!) but I think that I've probably been eating slightly more of other food. I've also run out of cottage cheese for protein which is a bit of a hiccup.

saef, lunges, squats and deadlifts are all excellent. There's lots of form to concentrate on in order to get them right (which I think is great).

Becky, are most labels in the US monolingual? As Britain is in the EU we often have different European languages on our labels and here in Wales we sometimes have Welsh and English. It's interesting to compare and contrast what they're telling the consumer - you can sometimes learn more from the info in a different language.

alinnell
01-10-2014, 12:17 PM
:D Yes, that's what it's like. I hope your 'time' was earlier rather than later!

I was over 11 stone. I should be just over 10 stone.

silverbirch
01-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I was over 11 stone. I should be just over 10 stone.

:hug:

I should be around 10 stone too. I was 9 stone 2 (128 lbs) until I was 27.

JayZeeJay
01-10-2014, 12:49 PM
This week has been so strenuous that I'm already celebrating the fact that it's over - and it's 8:30 on Friday morning! I started teaching a new course that I put together myself, so I've been up late every night writing lectures and a syllabus, trying to come up with a plan for the laboratory sections... My first lab was yesterday and unfortunately it was too hard for the students. I suspect I'll be hearing about that in my student evaluations later :(

Weight-wise, I've been hovering around 139-140. The frustrating thing is that I'm actually quite motivated right now to get in better shape, but life is throwing curveballs. Hopefully, once we close escrow for our new house and get moved, things will settle a bit. That's what people call "wishful thinking", I believe.

Re the squats and lunges: man, when I was doing boot camp last year, all those exercises REALLY got my bottom half in great shape. Right now I'm riding my bike a lot which helps, but the bulgy sagginess on the sides of my hips and below my rump is starting to come back. I signed up to start a boot camp at a gym near our new house. It's only a block away and I can do it at night so it'll be super convenient. Unfortunately everyone else is also motivated to shape up, so I'm on the February wait list and may have to wait until March.

I'm also supposed to be planning a wedding right now. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!

Shannon in ATL
01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Buying a house and moving is one of those 'top-5' stressors, isn't it JayZeeJay? As is getting married. You've got a busy time coming up. :)

I'm feeling tired and congested today, and am very tired of feeling tired and congested. I'm hoping that getting back on good footing with food and such will help with that.

ICUwishing
01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Kinda in a hide-out sort of mood. I ate better yesterday than I have for about a month. TOM arrived on schedule for the first time in what might be literally years, which I hope to heck is why the scale went up again this morning. I am going to pretend I didn't see it and just keep on doing what I know works. It can't stay up there forever.

Shannon, it certainly can't hurt anything to feed ourselves better, right? Rah-rah. I empathize with you, without the stuffiness. :yes:

JayZeeJay, oh, I can relate to wanting to do stuff and having life get in the way! Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends and the middle. I will bet that the boot camp wait list will cycle faster than you thought. ;)

silverbirch, yes, food labels are definitely monolingual. Might see a spattering of Spanish, but that's about it. I like to browse the imported foods ... even if I can't read the ingredients, the list tends to be a lot shorter. :lol:

allison ... I keep seeing in my head the meme shot of the "Office Space" manager guy going, "10 stone? Yeah, that'd be great." 140 sounds so far off right now. Plodding on ...

michele, :hug: She should know better by now than to get between you and your exercise!

saef, "Viking Night" with the chicken, eh? ;) There is nothing quite like the smell of freshly roasted chicken to arouse the savage. I suggest that if you feel lured by it again, vow to eat it with no hands. :devil: You'll be laughing too hard to eat much, I promise!

Mudpie
01-10-2014, 09:05 PM
I once had "Viking Night" with a BBQ chicken in my car. It was in winter :brr: and I had forgotten my lunch. I had been walking a great many dogs that day in a very cold blustery wind. I finally pulled into the grocery store parking lot around 3:30 p.m. I was so hungry :drool: that I'd been eyeing the dog chewies :o in my waist pouch for their food potential.

The deli counter is just inside the store entrance. Staff had just taken the chickens out of the rotisserie and they were piping hot. And the scent - :drool:

I bought one, intending to drive home and eat part of it there. I got it to the car and the scent was too much. I ripped off the cover and dove in. I think, hanging out with dogs so much, I have developed some doglike habits. As I ripped the chicken apart with my hands and stuffed it into my mouth I also paused for a second and just held a piece up to my face, inhaling that wonderful odour.

Immediate hunger sated I carefully licked all of my fingers. Remember, I'm in a grocery store parking lot. I looked up from the chicken carnage, still licking my fingers. There across the lane were two of the cart collection people, looking at me with a mix of fear, disbelief, and God knows what else on their faces. And beside them was a guy in a parka, laughing so hard I'd bet he was almost p**ing his pants. Turns out he was the store manager.

I see these people almost every day. They still recognize me :yikes: as the lady who savaged the chicken in her car.

Dagmar :rofl:

CherryPie99
01-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I once had "Viking Night" with a BBQ chicken in my car. It was in winter :brr: and I had forgotten my lunch. I had been walking a great many dogs that day in a very cold blustery wind. I finally pulled into the grocery store parking lot around 3:30 p.m. I was so hungry :drool: that I'd been eyeing the dog chewies :o in my waist pouch for their food potential.

The deli counter is just inside the store entrance. Staff had just taken the chickens out of the rotisserie and they were piping hot. And the scent - :drool:

I bought one, intending to drive home and eat part of it there. I got it to the car and the scent was too much. I ripped off the cover and dove in. I think, hanging out with dogs so much, I have developed some doglike habits. As I ripped the chicken apart with my hands and stuffed it into my mouth I also paused for a second and just held a piece up to my face, inhaling that wonderful odour.

Immediate hunger sated I carefully licked all of my fingers. Remember, I'm in a grocery store parking lot. I looked up from the chicken carnage, still licking my fingers. There across the lane were two of the cart collection people, looking at me with a mix of fear, disbelief, and God knows what else on their faces. And beside them was a guy in a parka, laughing so hard I'd bet he was almost p**ing his pants. Turns out he was the store manager.

I see these people almost every day. They still recognize me :yikes: as the lady who savaged the chicken in her car.

Dagmar :rofl:

BEST. STORY. EVER!!!!!!!

I think I just peed a little I was laughing so hard!!!

BillBlueEyes
01-10-2014, 11:45 PM
LMAO at "the lady who savaged the chicken" - wearing a dog stained coat.

ICUwishing
01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Dammar, :high:! Yes, you would have been a great Viking. :D. I think it's good to occasionally reach back for our primal goodnesses (autocorrect tried to make that "good messes" and I like that too). It really cuts to the basics of hunger/ fuel and strips away all the baggage we put on food. Wonderful story!

silverbirch
01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Friday. Streak is 10. This makes me sound more virtuous than I feel. I'm eating more of other things, I regret to say. Or at least it feels like that. I'm succeeding in avoiding cakes, biscuits and pastries which don't cross my field of vision much but are there. Weight is a tiny bit lower than when I started.

What?? Just a tiny bit lower?? It should be quite a lot lower!!

Sorry about that. I get a bit het up sometimes. :o

Moving on to ....

:devil: Dagmar, the Lady Viking. :devil: One to watch out for at the supermarket!

neurodoc
01-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Was on the treadmill at the gym today and someone had the tv in front of me set to "The Brazilian Butt Lift" infomercial. For the entire 20 min. I was on that machine I got to watch women's butts in bikinis and boy shorts. The product is a set of exercise DVDs, and the exercises seem pretty reasonable (lots of body-weight squats, lunges, back extensions and core work) but good grief, 20 MINUTES OF A**??? Also, the endless before/after photos where the "after" person had clearly lost -at least- 20 pounds in addition to having a shapelier backside. And of course, while the infomercial tells you no dieting is involved, they do have an "optimal results" (undoubtedly seriously calorie and carb restricted) eating plan.

Silverbirch, I am convinced that weight loss should be commensurate with calories left on the table instead of calories consumed. Alas, it doesn't matter one iota if everyone around me inhales bread/wine/dessert while I limit myself to the cajun salmon salad; my dinner still "costs" 800 calories :>(

Dagmar, I have wolfed down food bought at the supermarket while driving home on any number of occasions. Admittedly never as dramatically as you, but with that same feeling of impending starvation. Judith Beck may claim that "hunger is not an emergency" but I am pretty sure she's assuming a lifestyle where deferring a meal is a matter of 30 minutes, not 3 hours.

ICUwishing
01-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Got a little whoosh and am now back to the original starting line (153) this morning. I checked email yesterday morning and found out an off-schedule swim practice had been arranged for the afternoon. Most Masters swimmers practice in high school pools, so with the holiday and the weather, most of us have been out for almost 3 weeks. The practice was supposed to go two hours and pretty much all of us threw in the towel at 90 minutes. :lol: Not much you can do when you can't get your arms out of the water any more! My gratitude for the day was that the school I swim at has lots of very hot water and high pressures in the showers.

JayZeeJay
01-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Andrea, you just reminded me of something funny that happened:

I went to the campus gym over the winter break - most of the students are gone then, so I'm not fighting a million 19-year-olds for the treadmills. However, a few students were still around. The TV over my treadmill was already on and some similar infomercial was playing. I immediately grabbed the remote and turned it to a snowboarding competition. There was a noise behind me and when I turned around, a young woman on a back row elliptical said "I was watching that!" I (rudely, in retrospect) said "you want to watch a commercial??" and she said "yeah". So I turned it back to the eternal butt lift ad and moved down to a new treadmill.

On a less jolly note: I went out with a few old friends the other night, and one of them took a lot of pictures and posted them on facebook (and tagged us, of course). So I made my annual visit to my facebook account to see the pics. There was one of us with my rear facing the camera, and my butt looked very large and square and saggy - and I suddenly thought "dear lord, I look like my mother from the back". Nothing like a photo to tell you what the reality actually is.

silverbirch
01-12-2014, 03:15 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Saturday. Streak is 11. This is going well. I didn't need to buy any butter today (as I have been doing most weeks for ages) so I could easily imagine what I hadn't been putting into my body. Credit where credit is due.

A so-so day. I've worked out that I need to do a range of foot and ankle exercises with exquisite form, together with calf and soleus stretches every time I change from one activity to another (say, from computer to getting in wood). This will enable me to walk without excruciating heel pain. Am thinking I need a full-time trainer but, in the absence of anyone else, it has to be me. :)

ETA - and the reason for this (which has been on and off for a few weeks)? Who knows? In the frame are my new pair of boots and the concrete pavements of London.

Andrea, I couldn't have taken 20 minutes of that!

Becky, hot showers sound lovely. I'm in the process of trying out each one at my gymn to see if there's one which is better than the others. So far they're all kind of warmish, which isn't good enough.

ICUwishing
01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Saturday's practice did a number on my lower back. Too many flip turns too soon, and I think the butterfly kick also contributed. I am officially too old to go multiple weeks without any exercise, I think. It's a funny sort of sore, a new one for me. I can stand painlessly as long as I have perfect posture - any sort of twist or slouch sends simultaneous shooting pains to the front of each thigh. Sitting or picking up a leg does the same thing. It's sorta like a backwards sciatica on both sides. If anybody's managed to do this one to themselves, I'd love to hear your feedback. My strategy is going to be lots of walks and standing up today, the chiro tonight, and back into the pool tonight (though I'll stick to open turns and blow off the butterfly kick).

I've dealt with the bloat part of the December weight gain and will proceed on to the real work. Whee. :dz:

JayEll
01-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Hey ICUWishing,

As a former swimmer myself... those butterfly kicks are really rough on the lower back. You probably have inflammation going there, and that's causing the nerve pain. Pain in the front of the thigh can actually be sciatica, strange to say.

My suggestion would be that you take some rest periods where you lie down on your back with an ice pack under your lumbar/sacral area. Put pillows under your knees to relieve the angle. To get down on the bed, sit down, lower to your side, and then roll onto your back, twisting as little as possible. When you get up, turn to your side toward the edge of the bed and then use your arms to push yourself to a sitting position.

Also, take the anti-inflammatory of your choice. Tylenol is useless for inflammation; I'm thinkin' aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve...

Don't over do the walking and standing. And I really wouldn't go to swimming practice tonight if I were in your position.

Feel better!
Jay

alinnell
01-13-2014, 11:21 AM
I used to have horrible sciatic pain on my right side that started in my back, went down into my glute and then wrapped around to the front of my thigh. This was back in my late teens and early twenties. Thankfully I don't get that any more! It was horrible to the point I would be in tears from the pain. What is weird about it is that I would get it from sitting for too long--even movies were excruciating to sit through.

traveling michele
01-13-2014, 11:24 AM
My sciatica (relatively new for me) flares up when I sit too long-- movies, car rides, even the couch.

Becky-- I also don't know that swimming would be good tonight. It sounds like something is really inflamed. Take care of yourself.

My weight was under 130 for the first time this year. Hopefully I don't jinx it....

Shannon in ATL
01-13-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm just reading the story of Dagmar in the car with the chicken and am greatly entertained. :)

Great job on the 10 days, Birchie.

I started my Train to Be Awesome plan last week (Andrea, by the author of the Lift Like a Girl program) and the workouts kicked my tail. I have the fourth workout today and am dreading it. LOL
I didn't eat awesome this weekend, but last night was the only one that was really terrible.

Mudpie
01-13-2014, 04:23 PM
136.6 lbs. this morning. I'm inching down by 1/10ths of lbs. Better than inching UP. :D

JayZeeJay
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
140.5 this morning - I am apparently in "inching up" mode. Some may be water bloat for TOM, but it ain't a pretty number regardless.

ICUwishing: maybe a sports massage instead of swim practice?

Shannon in ATL
01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
I read an article this weekend that said people whose scales only showed the whole number without the .xx lost more weight and were less stressed. I get that. :)

saef
01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
I immediately grabbed the remote and turned it to a snowboarding competition. There was a noise behind me and when I turned around, a young woman on a back row elliptical said "I was watching that!" I (rudely, in retrospect) said "you want to watch a commercial??" and she said "yeah". So I turned it back to the eternal butt lift ad and moved down to a new treadmill.

[Raises her hand ashamedly, as someone who's watched exercise infomercials on gym TVs]

They are inspirational when I'm grinding out the cardio for long periods of time. At least the P90X and Shaun T infomercials are.

I'm not sure I could look at perfect butts for long periods of time, though. My self-esteem might plummet, as this is a body part that I don't like much. (I can still remember, many decades later, a comment that my mother once made in a department store dressing room about mine: "It's big, but at least it's flat." Thanks, Mom.)

traveling michele
01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
[Raises her hand ashamedly, as someone who's watched exercise infomercials on gym TVs]

They are inspirational when I'm grinding out the cardio for long periods of time. At least the P90X and Shaun T infomercials are.

I'm not sure I could look at perfect butts for long periods of time, though. My self-esteem might plummet, as this is a body part that I don't like much. (I can still remember, many decades later, a comment that my mother once made in a department store dressing room about mine: "It's big, but at least it's flat." Thanks, Mom.)

It's funny what childhood memories stick like glue. I have a lousy memory for my childhood but one memory stands out clearly. I danced and had to have recital costumes made each year. My mom didn't sew so she had to have a lady make my costumes. I went to her house and she measured me, proclaiming how large my bum was and what a hard time she would have making my costume. I was humiliated of course.

Shannon-- interesting about the scale. I think I have an "issue" with scales. I weigh myself way too much and my scale is shockingly accurate. For some reason, I bought a new scale. Why? I have no idea. It says I weigh a little less by the way. I was tempted to believe the weight on the new scale but I know it isn't true. Now I'm trying to figure out where to put the new scale. Dh is not going to be happy when he sees I bought something completely unnecessary. It remembers the last weight and shows that after your current weight which is a neat feature but totally unnecessary. I have my regular scale in my bathroom. Maybe I could put it in the guest bath-- is that rude or would guests appreciate the option of a scale?

Mudpie
01-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Michele whenever I do a dog sit I'd really like access to a scale. But I rarely have it. Most of my clients, if they have a scale, keep it well hidden. The others are so complicated that I just don't bother trying to figure them out. There's also the fear of erasing or inadvertently altering some incredibly important data of my clients' which is stored in the scale.

ICUwishing
01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback - I am taking the advice and spending the evening with my Aleve and an ice pack. Reluctantly. But I do know that a few of you have had a bear of a time recovering from something similar, and I need to prove to myself that I can learn from others, :lol:! I'd much rather this not linger on ... so again, thank you for your experiences and wisdom. Hopefully tomorrow will be much better. I was really fidgety at work, where I sit most of the time. Ow.

I sometimes wish my scale did more than 0.5 increments. I don't think I'd like it if it did, however.

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 06:27 AM
No butter or peanut butter on Sunday or Monday. Streak is 13.

In the past, I hadn't thought that 'streaking' would be a useful tool for me but I've been watching how helpful it is for posters over on the Beck Diet board. A team challenge was introduced by ForMyGirls and it's spurred people on. I think that Bill has used it successfully to corral his snack habit. GardenerJoy already had a very healthy daily exercise streak in operation. I'm starting to see some benefit to my streak as I politely but firmly put eating butter and peanut butter back into its place: it's not about me (another great Bill phrase).

A rest day today as yesterday's deadlifts and rowing have made my SI joint niggle. I'll be moving my L foot and ankle about to loosen them up (goal is to be as flexible as my R), and trying to stop my L knee hurting when I come down our very steep and narrow staircase. Actually, I might do better if I treated it as a ladder and came down backwards. (There used to be a ladder there before modernisation in about the 60s.)

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 06:37 AM
Birchie Some people do well with streaks and challenges. Glad it's working for you.

I didn't eat last night - too tired and unhappy. Went to bed at 9 p.m. after lying in the dark living room listening to water dripping into the large plastic tub we have there to contain the water from upstairs. SIGH. So many expensive repairs.

I need to get out there and promote myself and get new clients. But I really don't want to work like a horse any more. I was so hoping that I could pull back a bit. Not this year apparently.

I need to find smaller dogs to walk. :D

Dagmar :tired:

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Birchie Some people do well with streaks and challenges. Glad it's working for you....

I need to find smaller dogs to walk. :D

I lack a powerful competitive gene so I can't do challenges. I think I've repackaged 'streak' as something to do with 'strength of will' but only in a small, bounded area where I'm pretty certain I'll be OK. I may expand things a bit later on.

When I was in London there seemed to be more tiny lapdogs than I've seen before. I don't know whether that's because London is now the sixth biggest French city in the world (and I think Parisiennes have been keen on lapdogs for a while.) Now I come to think of it, Chekhov wrote The Lady with a Lapdog (OK, in 1899, I give you that) and there are also lots of Russians in London. Having a dog as a fashion accessory seems completely stupid and wrong to me. /ramble

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 08:09 AM
I lack a powerful competitive gene so I can't do challenges. I think I've repackaged 'streak' as something to do with 'strength of will' but only in a small, bounded area where I'm pretty certain I'll be OK. I may expand things a bit later on.

When I was in London there seemed to be more tiny lapdogs than I've seen before. I don't know whether that's because London is now the sixth biggest French city in the world (and I think Parisiennes have been keen on lapdogs for a while.) Now I come to think of it, Chekhov wrote The Lady with a Lapdog (OK, in 1899, I give you that) and there are also lots of Russians in London. Having a dog as a fashion accessory seems completely stupid and wrong to me. /ramble

Most of the tiny "slipper dogs" literally started out as fashion accessories. Ladies of the court used to carry them in their sleeves. Now people have them in shoulder bags.

By smaller dogs to walk I mean in the 25-40 lb. range - ones I can pick up. :strong: Right now the average dog I walk weighs about 70-80 lbs. I did a calculation and it turns out I walk about 2 1/2 TONS of dogs every week. :lol3:

Dagmar :sumo:

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Asian elephant walking (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Elephant_Walking_animated.gif)

That's equivalent to a smaller Asian elephant. (New Scientist commented recently that as 'elephant' has come to be a unit of weight, we need to divide it up into milliphants or something.)

alinnell
01-14-2014, 10:29 AM
I sometimes wish my scale did more than 0.5 increments. I don't think I'd like it if it did, however.

My old one was .5 increments. DD bought me the one that does .1 increments for Christmas a year or so ago. I couldn't let go of the old one until I got matching weights three days in a row. The old one now resides in her old bathroom. I still prefer it--mainly because there is no battery to have to replace.

Day 1 (yes, late start) on track except I forgot to log all the food so I'll go back and do that. Slept great last night despite sharing MY side of the bed with a dog and cat.

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Day 1 (yes, late start) on track except I forgot to log all the food so I'll go back and do that. Slept great last night despite sharing MY side of the bed with a dog and cat.

Lousy sleep for me-- dogs and cats are always in the bed. I bought a living social for a box of organic produce that was supposed to be dropped off during the night. I slept lightly and kept dreaming until the package came at 2 am. Jozi barked her fool head off to alarm me. Then I had trouble getting back to sleep and kept having weird dreams. I hope it doesn't affect my food/exercise today. When I get home I have to figure out how to use all the produce that I don't normally eat.... by myself of course.

Shannon in ATL
01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
(Snickering in my head imagining Birchie streaking. In my mind I'm picturing down a crowded street in London, or at the Olympics or some other fabulous locale, with some kind of sign saying 'for the peanut butter!' or some such. The things my mind goes to when I'm left alone inside my head.)

I've now done all four of the phase one workouts. There are four, and I repeat them until each workout is done 6 times. As I've opted for the 3x per week rather than every other day, that means I'll finish in seven weeks after which I'll follow a prescribed deload week. I am so much more sore than I feel like I should be. I'm often reminded lately how I really am out of shape.

This new workout uses my suspension trainer straps more than I've ever used them before. They are seriously hard. Wow.

Hope your day gets better,Michele.

Slipper dogs. I love that phrase. Don't so much love those people who carry them in their purse, though.

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 01:23 PM
I have no shame as I am awesome. :cool:

Have you got through the answering questions / saying things out loud phase of your programme, Shannon?

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 01:29 PM
How are you feeling today Becky??

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Michele, do you know what you're going to have?

I've just put red cabbage, onions and cooking apples into the oven for an hour and a half. With cinnamon, cloves (and should be nutmeg but we've run out) + salt and pepper, brown sugar and wine vinegar. Also 1/2 oz butter which is such a tiny amount amongst all the veg that I'm not going to count it. We're going to have it with pork chops.

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Michele, do you know what you're going to have?

I've just put red cabbage, onions and cooking apples into the oven for an hour and a half. With cinnamon, cloves (and should be nutmeg but we've run out) + salt and pepper, brown sugar and wine vinegar. Also 1/2 oz butter which is such a tiny amount amongst all the veg that I'm not going to count it. We're going to have it with pork chops.

I think I need a nap!
I read what you wrote and my first thought was that I'm not pregnant! Ha!
That's probably because we currently have at least TEN pregnant teachers at my school!

I am planning on grilled chicken that I defrosted and some sort of veggie for dinner. I'm more concerned about snacking through the day which I sometimes do when I'm particularly tired. Your cabbage dish sounds delish!

silverbirch
01-14-2014, 02:18 PM
I think I need a nap!
I read what you wrote and my first thought was that I'm not pregnant! Ha!
That's probably because we currently have at least TEN pregnant teachers at my school!

I am planning on grilled chicken that I defrosted and some sort of veggie for dinner. I'm more concerned about snacking through the day which I sometimes do when I'm particularly tired. Your cabbage dish sounds delish!

:rofl: Very sorry!

I meant 'what is in the box of organic produce?' !

ICUwishing
01-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Michele, I'm somewhat better today, thanks. I still get some angry sensations from my lower back when I bend forward. The leg pains are gone, thank goodness. My coach strongly recommended that I join the "Pilates for Core" class that's local to the pool - it is taught by a RPT who knows a lot about what competitive swimming does to the body. I guess quite a few of the team members go. I'll have to look into it.

silverbirch, I am giggling at the thought of "milliphants". Microcows and minipigs already exist ... let's just jump off the cliff entirely and do 'em all. ;) Imagine a little microstampede of tiny cattle all around your knees. Heehee!!!! Links for the brave and/or curious: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031781/The-mini-moos-Tiny-breed-cows-grow-just-feet-tall.html

Shannon, sounds like you're doing well with the program! I too get a little disgusted when I can't just fling myself into something new with no repercussions.

dstalksalot
01-14-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm at maintenance now and chose to indulge a bit for the holidays. After the water weight was gone and my normal habits resumed my weight gain was about 2 pounds.... Not horrible but my weight loss progress is only about a half a pound a month. It will take about 3-4 months of moderate restriction to get back to my comfort zone.

On the one hand I want to moderately enjoy the holiday foods that are available, but wonder if its worth it....I suppose this is maintenance, but I don't like being on this end of the 3 pound yoyo string.

Feeling anxious.... Those same feelings I had years ago when I was 90 pounds heavier and could not lose quick enough. Do you all have moments like this?

PMS maybe.....

Love all of your stories .....I like my scale. I think it weighs to the .20 of a pound.....in even increments. 138.2 , 138.4.....I don't ever see a .3......but maybe it is by .10......

Mudpie, have you seen the film Restoration? Robert Downey Jr. Is always brilliant and the story revolves in part around Royal dogs. :-) Its on Netflix.

traveling michele
01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
:rofl: Very sorry!

I meant 'what is in the box of organic produce?' !

Oh! I am soooo tired. Sometimes when I don't have enough sleep, I don't feel it. Today I'm really feeling it.

In the box were:
butternut squash
onions
fuji apples
parsnips
brussels sprouts
navel oranges
roma tomatoes
rainbow chard
romaine lettuce
kiwi
italian parsley

I have to confess that I've never cooked with (and therefore no little about doing so) butternut squash, parsnips, chard.....

I'm also not really an apple, orange or kiwi fan so I'm going to have to branch out a bit.

CherryPie99
01-14-2014, 04:28 PM
I am fairly new to butternut squash, too! I cut it into 1" chunks, toss with olive oil, sea salt, and cinnamon and put in a Pam sprayed glass casserole dish and cook at 425 until the chunks are soft (about 40 minutes) - HEAVEN.

alinnell
01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Butternut squash risotto is wonderful but probably rather carlorie-laden. If you go to foodgawker.com you can search for recipes using it--you'll find tons!

JayEll
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
If you like butternut, you'll LOVE Delicata squash. Only available for a short time, it seems, unless you grow your own. :drool:

Mudpie
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
My DH hates squash, parsnips, turnips, beets, etc. I have managed to sneak the squash into some recipes - lots of spices and some kind of creamy sauce type thing cloak it well. I like butternut squash in raw chunks! Lots of great recipes online for all sorts of stuff. I like to experiment too so, given a box of produce, I'd probably produce some steamed things, slow cooker vegetarian things, etc.

I also like to make fruit/veggie combo salads. Some are delish, some not so much. Some fruit goes really well with roasted meats and poultry too.

FYI roast beef and pears is not so good. :rofl:

Dagmar :hungry:

JayZeeJay
01-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Dagmar - you eat raw butternut squash?? What does it taste like? I suppose we eat zucchini squash raw in salads, so it is sort of the same idea-

Mudpie
01-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Dagmar - you eat raw butternut squash?? What does it taste like? I suppose we eat zucchini squash raw in salads, so it is sort of the same idea-

Kind of sweet and very crunchy - best eaten in small chunks. :D

Shannon in ATL
01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Do you have a strong blender, Michele? I've been making a lot of smoothies since I got my Vitamix and apples and oranges work really well in them.

silverbirch
01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Butternut squash is nice in soup. I add any leftover to whatever soup I'm making. (I roast the whole lot - cubed - in the oven and use it as I want. Could probably freeze too.)

Mmm, chard. Swiss chard, ruby chard - all good as a leafy green. (We eat greens *every* day.)

Roast parsnips are lovely. Curried parsnip soup is excellent (invented in the 70s and now a classic).

silverbirch
01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. Streak is 14.

This is going well. Not having these two things in my life is cutting down on the amount I eat in the mid-afternoon. I'm tending to have a virtuous apple and some cottage cheese, just like I used to do in the good old days. :)

I'm also going to the gymn fairly regularly. I'm still working on ironing out niggles in my L foot, ankle, knee but it's nothing appalling. (Fingers crossed, you understand.) I may stop rowing until it calms down. Realistically, rowing cannot be helping matters.

Sleep isn't fantastic but I'm in bed on time and turning out the light at the right time.

I'm wondering where/whether to make my next intervention. I could make a pronouncement about nuts but I think that would be premature. I don't want to change too much all at once - then I'd have too many balls in the air, so to speak. On balance, I think I'll purr along until the streak is a month or so and see how much actual weight I've lost and how I feel.

So I'm halfway there, more or less!

(My tummy looked quite shocking in the changing room mirror this morning but I told myself that I had things in hand.)

alinnell
01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Two days POP and my weight went up? I won't dwell on it. Yesterday I came in well under my allotted calories due to a vegetarian dinner (baked spaghetti squash, homemade marinara and a big salad).

I haven't been eating as many nuts as usual. There were times when I'd eat a dozen pistachios every night. In the past two weeks all I've had is about a dozen almonds during a round of golf to stave off hunger.

Once I get into the swing of this I'll be adding exercise. Not sure what just yet. I'd like to do yoga but my head says cardio.

ICUwishing
01-15-2014, 02:54 PM
ds - the holidays got me too! My yo-yoing on a short string got a little longer than I wanted it to. Doesn't make me anxious so much as it annoys me about my loss of discipline. :dizzy: It seems to me that the folks like you who came down from big weights feel a little more angst when the scale fluctuates up - it's important to remember that an average is 50% up and 50% down!

michele, that box sounds like all sorts of fun and deliciousness. We like to eat our chard de-ribbed, lightly steamed, and with a spritz of balsamic vinegar. Sometimes we dice up the ribs and steam them too, and sometimes the bunnies get them.

silver - you have a terrific attitude about your streak and the reflection. "In hand" - I like that much!

allison - sure, why not up? :shrug: Your dinner sounds :drool:

Going to the pool tonight. My back feels 100% after a good night's sleep, careful stretching, anti-inflammatories and ice. I will pay close attention to how it feels tonight and I will commit to getting out when I can't maintain my technique.

Food was good yesterday, scale moving down (glacially) as is typical. It's back to the trudge, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

bargoo
01-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Butternut squash is nice in soup. I add any leftover to whatever soup I'm making. (I roast the whole lot - cubed - in the oven and use it as I want. Could probably freeze too.)

Mmm, chard. Swiss chard, ruby chard - all good as a leafy green. (We eat greens *every* day.)

Roast parsnips are lovely. Curried parsnip soup is excellent (invented in the 70s and now a classic).

Love Butternut squash soup !

Mudpie
01-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Not a good week for me. Depressed and angry :mad: at the bathroom mess, and sad :( at losing another 2 dogs. Plus walking on ice all week and having an extra walk at dinner has taken all the energy out of me :faint:. I found it hard to get out of the car last night to come inside my house - just wanted to curl up there and sleep.

Beer and candy are not the answer. I've done that the last 2 nights and can see unfavourable results on my body. I can only sulk so long.

Tonite I will eat fruit and drink mint tea.

Dagmar :tired: :tired:

ICUwishing
01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Dagmar, :hug: Weeks like this one are there to make the good ones that much brighter.

No pool. When I posted at 2pm yesterday, I thought I was golden. By the time I got home at 6, not so much. I will be patient. I did stretch this morning without any ouchies, and putting on socks was no problem so I think I'm well on the mend. I will shoot for Saturday morning.

traveling michele
01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Good idea Becky!

Hope it warms up soon for you Dagmar. That will improve your mood I'm sure.... it's 70 degrees here today but I think it's giving everyone the false idea that Spring is here while it is not. Plus it is still cold in the mornings-- 34 when I drove in so you have to dress in layers.

silverbirch
01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Wednesday. Streak is 15.

Gymn this morning, just to do some stretches. Met my oldest gymn rat friends: he will be 82 in the spring, she is about 76 or so. She was balancing on one of those bosu balls, on one leg, moving her arms and legs about. Crikey. She looks about 12 from behind and sometimes from the side.

I’ve been able to walk downstairs without knee pain. Hurray! I haven’t tried our stairs at home yet, though.

Dagmar, you’ve got a lot happening at the moment and it’s cold. Some more dogs are sure to come along. Enjoy the fruit and mint tea.

Becky, the putting on socks test is a good one. Saturday morning sounds good. But you won’t go if you still feel wrong, will you?

silverbirch
01-16-2014, 12:35 PM
You know, you might think there are just a few of us here, wittering about our personal struggles and offering a bit of support to the others now and then .... but this thread has had more than 4,000 views!

Dear Lurker*, please come and join us. You'll be very welcome. :welcome3: And I know we'll benefit from your experiences. And I hope we'll be able to offer you something in return.

*Sorry I called you Lurker but I don't know your real name yet.

JayZeeJay
01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Dagmar: Hope the end of the week improves a bit. Did you succeed in your plan to drink herb tea instead of the beer/candy approach last night? This is always my biggest challenge, to stay strong in my willpower when stressed and tired especially in the evening.

alinnell
01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Becky, I hear you on the glacial weight loss. Three days POP (and yes, that means NO alcohol, too!) and absolutely no loss. Perhaps I was about 100 calories over what I planned, but still under 1500 (I shoot for something like 1450 or 1380, I can't remember what MyFitnessPal recommended based on my rather sedentary lifestyle). Yes, I said it, sedentary. Golf on the weekends is all the exercise I get and that's really only walking 3 miles carrying my bag of clubs, so not much at all. Believe me, I am still trying to wrap my head around more exercise it's just that my brain refuses to acknowledge that I'll have to get up at 4 AM rather than 5 AM to get this accomplished. (I know, do it after work. Yeah, not going to happen right now--I work 7-4 and once home I toil for at least 1 1/2 hours to take care of the animals and all their needs and get dinner on the table.) I'm usually quiet spent by 7 PM and in bed by 9 PM.

CherryPie99
01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I am also dealing with a stubborn scale. I have been frustratingly and consistently over my "redline" by about 1/2 pound all week. I know that a 1/2 pound shouldn't frustrate me so badly, but it's like the number 120 is just sitting there to taunt me every morning! Especially when I've been really on track this week with exercise and been good - not perfect but good - with food!!

I did 250 kettlebell swings last night, so I might even see a upwards surge tomorrow which will make me pout heading into the weekend.

Jen

dstalksalot
01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
ICU - thanks for the reply. Just plugging along......the anxiety is gone for today.

Back issues are no fun. I spent 3 months in Physical Therapy after an injury at a U2 concert. (Crazy U2 fan wanted my spot in front of Bono and I did not want to give it up.) Still 10 years later I have to ice and heat it. If I sleep funny, I'm hurting the next day. Good luck to you.

JayZeeJay
01-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Add me to the list of frozen-scale sufferers. I've eaten a max of 1400 net calories each day for a week (I subtract out "real exercise" like my 14-mile daily bike commute, and call myself sedentary the rest of the time for the calculations). In addition to the bicycling, I've gone for two long runs. I've avoided alcohol entirely and dessert almost entirely. The math says I've lost 1.2 pounds. My scale says I've gained 0.5 pounds. I have been as honest as I know how to be on the calorie logging. I guess I'll call it "water weight" for now.

ETA: Jen - 250 kettleball swings?!?! Wow!

silverbirch
01-16-2014, 05:42 PM
dstalksalot - dangerous places, concerts! But 10 years after and you're still suffering? That's bad.

Yes, 250 swings? My goodness.

Mudpie
01-16-2014, 08:05 PM
DH went to Costco today. Among the other things he brought home is what looks like 10 lbs. of chocolate truffles. I saw the box in the kitchen and have been avoiding it like crazy. He and I have had the discussion about how much easier it is to eat healthily if such things do not come home.

I have stayed upstairs after dinner.

I will eat my fruit at 8 p.m. and then go straight back upstairs.

Dagmar :dust:

CherryPie99
01-16-2014, 11:23 PM
I should clarify that they weren't in a row! 10 sets of 25...But wow - hip flexors and my butt are feeling them today!!

Here's hoping the scales are feeling kind to all of us for Friday!!!

ICUwishing
01-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Silver, yes I will still go on Saturday, but I will be very mindful about my turns, regardless. :yes: It was good of you to reach out to the lurkers. I like this thread very much - it proves that successful maintainers are still very, very well acquainted with the process of losing and that we truly do live with our feet 80-99% in the same world that we occupied while we were losing.

allison, it could be the 4th day that makes things move. ;) I'm trying to take the long view of 5 pounds by spring because unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on my mood) like in many other areas of my life, I'm only willing to devote about an 80% effort to it because it is no longer an "urgent" task. It certainly was when I was 174 lbs! :lol: And I am in lockstep with you about the exercise - I do need to move it higher in the priority list. At least I have managed to mostly remove all obstacles from the 3x week swim practices. Except weather, holidays, and injuries. And days that end in "y", and spouses that have to travel and DS's that can't drive yet ... :lol3:

Jen - holy cr@p, I admire your strength and resolution.

Dagmar - I've seen those truffles. I am really sorry for you that they are in your house. Can you convince DH to hide them? Or keep them in an opaque container that is "not yours"?

My scale had a hard time deciding if I was a half pound down or not - it finally concluded I was. 153.5. On to the next half pound.

alinnell
01-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Scale down about .4 today so that improves my outlook.

Becky~I can't use the same excuses. No kids at home and my spouse doesn't travel. But I do have the sick dog (who is back on subcutaneous fluids that require me to be home 2x a day for about 10 minutes) and work that takes a good 9 hour chunk out of each day. And his lung mets make it impossible to walk him, you know? (BTW I've decided it isn't the cancer that will "get" him in the end, it's the kidney failure that will do him in. As long as he's on subcutaneous fluids, he feels good and eats well, without he starts refusing food again.)

DS is coming home this weekend as Monday is a holiday off school for him. The dinner I planned for Sunday will have to wait (salmon over rice, steamed broccoli with some orange teriyaki sauce) as he doesn't eat fish (and I only have enough for four) unless I can come up with something that he'll enjoy (perhaps orange chicken and he can still eat the rice and broccoli--yeah, that might work!).

traveling michele
01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Scale down about .4 today so that improves my outlook.

My scale was up .8 today-- way over my redline still. So, yes, my mood is :devil::mad:
Going to try to have a good day anyway and try not to notice my stomach smushed into my tight jeans-- or pouring over the top as the case may be.

I'm planning on my monthly weigh in tomorrow and I really didn't want it to be up. Unless a scale fairy flies down from above to give me a giant whoosh, I think it will be. I could wait until next Saturday but dh comes home next Thursday and the last thing he wants when he gets home is for me to be in "diet mode".

We are planning a cruise in April. Same exact one we did last year as it works schedule wise with my spring break. I tend to gain a LOT on a cruise so my strategy is usually to try to have some wiggle room before going. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get to have any wiggle room by then so I may have to be much more strict about my eating on the cruise. We'll see if I can make some serious headway by then.

alinnell
01-17-2014, 11:44 AM
We are planning a cruise in April. Same exact one we did last year as it works schedule wise with my spring break. I tend to gain a LOT on a cruise so my strategy is usually to try to have some wiggle room before going. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get to have any wiggle room by then so I may have to be much more strict about my eating on the cruise. We'll see if I can make some serious headway by then.

I didn't have any wiggle room before my last cruise but I didn't gain a lot on the cruise (I think due to the amount of walking we did most every day on tours). I did gain once we were home. And then more over the holidays. ((sigh))

But don't let the weight deter you from having a fabulous time on your cruise!!!

traveling michele
01-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I didn't have any wiggle room before my last cruise but I didn't gain a lot on the cruise (I think due to the amount of walking we did most every day on tours). I did gain once we were home. And then more over the holidays. ((sigh))

But don't let the weight deter you from having a fabulous time on your cruise!!!

I know... I will have a great time. We are very active when we cruise-- going to the gym each day, doing active excursions, etc. But I also indulge more-- allow myself a few treats and the scale definitely shows for it.

I forgot to mention that I got a call yesterday from the the leader I used to work with at Weight Watchers. She asked me to come talk on Sunday to the group about my "success". I felt like calling her back and saying NO because my weight is up. Then I decided I should go because in most people's eyes I look good and they'd be happy to be at my weight. I have to dig out my "fat pants" to bring so hopefully they'll show my grouchy mind that I haven't gained ALL my weight back.

So, I actually have a pretty busy weekend (for me). Tonight is the usual-- bikram and a quiet evening-- I need to pick back up on my Breaking Bad-- I had stopped watching while everyone was home. Tomorrow, I'm weighing at Weight Watchers and meeting a friend for breakfast. Then, the plan is to go to bikram (maybe two classes to offset dinner). Have a few errands to squeeze in and then I've got my dinner with my new book group. Sunday will be the meeting that I'll talk at, workout out, etc. Monday I've got two doctor appointments and other stuff to do!

saef
01-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I thought I had a "good week" until yesterday, when I was hungry all day, and tired.

Problem was, I woke up at 2 AM, I mean I came fully awake, adrenalin running high, lots of noise in my head, fragments of music, lots of to-do lists, worries, etc., ravenously hungry, too -- and after lying there knowing it wasn't going to get better, I got up & had breakfast at 2:45 AM. Went to the gym around 5:45 AM, as usual, and then spent the day getting hungry hours before I should've, because my biological clock was off, and fighting sleeping upright at the laptop. So no surprise that I was again really hungry at 5 PM, and eating roasted unsalted nuts from a can while standing up in the kitchen. Yes, binge behavior. Which freaks me out. I really do revert sometimes, after months of being okay and thinking I've kicked it.

So I'm up .2 pounds this morning over last Friday, in spite of my good week, and my adding a leg day this past Sunday. I was so damn smug about that new leg day all week. Like any newbie here, thinking: "I was so good, I worked out differently, the scale should reward me." I really should know better by now.

Shannon in ATL
01-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Well, I'm about five pounds up from Halloween, which was my lowest point in months. I'm a little over that point today, which I'm going to credit to my weight workouts the last two weeks. Hopefully. :)

On my positive side, I assembled my cabinet from Ikea all by myself yesterday. Woo!

Saef - it was good to add the leg day. The weight will settle out.

silverbirch
01-17-2014, 03:44 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Thursday. Streak is 16.

I'm weighing myself every day and noting it on a spreadsheet. I may even make a graph!

JayZeeJay
01-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Problem was, I woke up at 2 AM, I mean I came fully awake, adrenalin running high, lots of noise in my head, fragments of music, lots of to-do lists, worries, etc., ravenously hungry, too -- and after lying there knowing it wasn't going to get better, I got up & had breakfast at 2:45 AM.

This happens to me also. My SO thinks I'm slightly crazy - I'll wake up in the middle of the night suddenly wide awake, with strange songs (ones I don't even like) and fragments of conversations cycling nonstop in my brain. It's a strange and unpleasant feeling. I usually get up and either read or do work for an hour or two, then reassess. Half the time I can get a few more hours of sleep, but the other times I can't and end up starting my day 6 hours early, with the biological clock repercussions as you described. One time I came home from work so tired that I suddenly realized I was mindlessly stuffing rye crisp crackers into my mouth one at a time. I must have eaten at least 6 while totally zoned out. I don't even like those crackers.

Down to 139.5 today. I missed dinner due to a long workday, so I suspect the slight weight loss is just less food weight in my system. But I'll take it, being back in the 130's (even slightly) relieves a bit of anxiety.

alinnell
01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Count me in as another one who wakes early and stresses about all sorts of things that are out of my control yet keep me awake anyway. The more I stress the worse it gets, too. And while I don't often think of songs then, I will wake up with a lyric in my head and then I go crazy trying to think just what that song is so I can listen to the whole thing! Sometimes I appreciate when the cat decides to sleep with/on me at these times. I usually toss and turn when I stress out--just trying to get back to sleep. With the cat there, I don't want to disrupt him so I lie in one position longer and usually fall back to sleep thinking more about not moving rather than they myriad of other things on my mind at the time.

CherryPie99
01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Thursday. Streak is 16.

I'm weighing myself every day and noting it on a spreadsheet. I may even make a graph!

I use www.weightchart.com and it graphs it for me!

silverbirch
01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Jen, thank you very much! I've been using the hideous Excel which I'm slowly coming to terms with but it is so ugly and clunky. I may give weightchart a whirl.

Does anyone else use anything different?

Shannon in ATL
01-17-2014, 04:49 PM

I have a graph. I'm crazy like that. :)

I made my own in Excel years ago and just copied it over and over to have a chart for each month. Now I have a Withings scale and it tracks it for me.

silverbirch
01-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Shannon, yes, I know! I've been asking myself whether you should be my role model ;) but I can't afford one of those scales! I have to stick with the old rusty one.

So you have a graph for every month? I think I want a graph to go down and down and down and then along and along and along. (I am actually trained in this, kind of thing. I was telling someone today about how we used to use computer punch cards in the olden days. :cool: He looked at me as though I were a Martian.)

Anyway, today's result was good.

Shannon in ATL
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
I have a landscape page, I log the weights by day down the left column, then generate a graph for each month next to the list. I have a 'to date' on a second tab that updates as I add more dates in, with one chart for year to date, then one cumulative that is way too cramped from the beginning of the chart so I should really change the range. :)

Ah, I remember punch cards. I used one at my first job, and we still have some in storage from our oldest location.

traveling michele
01-17-2014, 05:24 PM
I use www.weightchart.com and it graphs it for me!

Thanks for posting this! I just signed up. Now I can see myself not lose weight:dizzy:

I put in my weight loss goal for the month and it said it was "difficult" meaning I need to reevaluate my goals.

CherryPie99
01-17-2014, 05:33 PM
I like it because it also trends how you are feeling and how you rate your exercise, not just your weight. You could also customize with anything else you wanted, I think!

Actually for me - a NON concrete, graph type person, it helps me to see the wild swings ad how it seems to all even out...

ICUwishing
01-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I like my Excel with the weekly average and moving control limits. It depersonalizes it the whole weight thing. :) I'm motivated to check the other one out and see what it might do better.

Oh, I had a hard time talking myself out of bed at 6:30 to go swimming - the bed is so warm and soft ... and where the skidders came on is where I realized with a start that yes, I too am warm and SOFT. So off I went. 2 hours, 4400 yards. I won't say it was awesome, because it wasn't. I spent so much time thinking about doing my turns correctly that I tended to get too close to the wall. My back is very tired, now that I am beholden to gravity again. My mom let me scope out her somewhat frightening pharmaceutical stores earlier in the week - I chose the Motrin 600s and will periodically ice things down today instead of last week's wrong strategy of heating pads. :crossed:

silverbirch
01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Friday. Streak is 17.

Becky, depersonalising things is a good point about Excel. I hadn't thought of it like that. Please take it easy today - although it's a bit late to say that, I suppose.

Mudpie
01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
I am pretending it's Monday :dizzy: today. So when I weigh in on "real" Monday it won't be quite as drastic :eek:. I've been sulking mightily about my bathroom and the ensuing destruction of other parts of what was a beautiful house. Silly but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. And the evening dog walks all the past week and weekend have left me very tired and cranky :mad:.

Started anew this morning. Healthy brekkie, lunch, and dinner, with a small bowl of fruit and yogurt later in the evening. No alcohol all weekend.

I think I will borrow from birchie and start a "streak" going with the alcohol. I'm shooting for abstinence until Feb. 15 when I will help DH celebrate his birthday. We will do things well after the actual date as we will include my and his best friend's birthdays as well.

I have two of the dogwalkers close to my age coming over for tea tomorrow afternoon. I'm making small sandwiches and also offering cookies and chocolate wafer thingees. Right after they leave I will pour detergent all over the dessert parts of things so I'm not tempted. Then we zip off to my cousin's for dinner and birthday cake. His youngest daughter turned 13 this week.

I think one piece of cake will be quite enough for me.

Dagmar :beach:

silverbirch
01-19-2014, 02:55 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Saturday. Streak is 18. Going strong.

We went out for lunch today, mainly to give the DB a break from revising for his exams. We went to the brasserie in a hotel near here which is thought to be very good. In an area where most food is not great it does stand out but it's not remarkable by any means. I always have salmon salad which is OK (say, 6/10).

(Remember I hardly ever eat out.) It's been so long since I ate out in this area that I was seduced by the words on the menu and I broke three of my 'rules' which help me through life. They are as follows.

Rule 1: don't have a three course meal even though other people are because you don't like it and you feel ill afterwards.
Rule 2: don't have a pudding if your main course is disappointing as it won't help and anyway you hardly ever, ever have puddings because you often feel ill afterwards.
Rule 3: always have salmon salad at the ... ... Hotel.

This is what I had.

A so-called appetiser of carrot and celery sticks with feta and yoghurt dip. The others had starters. (4/10)
Plaice fillets with orzo pasta, artichokes, pepper and something else unmemorable. I left the orzo. (4/10)
A few moules marinieres from the DB. I body-swerved the creamy liquor. (7/10)
Creme caramel with cinnamon and apple compote and a so-called biscotti (but there was only one so it was really a biscotto). (3/10)
Camomile tea. I gave the chocolate which came with it to the DB. (8/10)

The upshot was that I felt completely stuffed and not too good. It's now tea-time and I'm not having anything. I hope to feel normal by bed-time.

On the bright side, the weather was stunning and there were wonderful views across the water to the mountains which have a little snow on them. Lots of clouds which was good as I'm in the middle of a cloud project. And the revising seems to be going great guns!

BillBlueEyes
01-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Copying here to be sure that Silverbirch doesn't miss it:Hi..my name is Rita and I am semiretired.I have been lurking for 2 months while dieting counting calories and carbs and have lost 15 lb.I am 5 ft 5.5 inches tall and currently weigh 145 but would like to attain a goal of 135 to 140 lb.I have been lurking on the maintainers sites and am impressed with everyone here.Everyone is so intelligent and well versed.You have all kept me amused and entertained with your posts.I finally got the nerve to sign up when silverbirch attempted to out us lurkers.I cant think of a better bunch of people to diet with.

alinnell
01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
apo9 JOIN US!!!!

Golf was unmemorable today...Let's hope next weekend is better.

JayZeeJay
01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Hi Rita and welcome!

Mudpie
01-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Rita :welcome2:

Dagmar :D

apo9
01-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Shannon in ATL
01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey, Rita! :)

silverbirch
01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Rita, it's great you've decided to join us. Once again, :welcome3:
(I think this is my favourite smiley.)

No butter or peanut butter on Sunday. Streak is 19. I think I forgot my no cakes, biscuits or pastries rule on Sunday but my pudding wasn't really any of those so I'm allowing myself to streak onwards.

I've just about recovered after the meal out yesterday. I hope I've learnt my lesson, good and proper.

I may have tracked down the niggles in my hips, etc L side and all that. Not the new boots, not the walking on London's pavements but stopping doing one-legged toe touches and one-legged glute squats sometime in November. This morning I did 3 mins of both on each leg = 12 mins in all. I felt wonderful afterwards! There were many cracks and pops from different parts of the body which I'm taking as all good. I'm planning on doing this every other day and hoping that all the niggles will now be ironed out. :crossed:

You won't be at all surprised to hear that my weight is not dropping like a stone. Like I said, I'll streak on for a month and then see what else I have to do. At the very least, I'll be healthier.

Mudpie
01-20-2014, 06:52 PM
I am now 3 days without alcohol - a mini streak. I think I will try to also abstain from chocolate, again until DH's birthday celebration.

Dagmar :cheer:

alinnell
01-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Well, DD set her wedding date so I have 23 weeks to lose 20 pounds. Should be possible but my off plan weekends are interfering with my on plan week days. Time to do some serious planning!

Shannon in ATL
01-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Birchie - i believe my recent crackles and tweaks are from failing to keep up with my yoga. Great job on your streak!

Dagmar - great job on your streak as well!

Allison - 23 weeks! Totally doable.

I'm about to cancel one of my furniture items and order from someone else. The company charged my card the minute I ordered and now weeks later there is no shipping info. When I hammer them for info they tell me that they are short four chairs, but assure me that they can get them. I have no faith anymore.

Mudpie
01-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Well, DD set her wedding date so I have 23 weeks to lose 20 pounds. Should be possible but my off plan weekends are interfering with my on plan week days. Time to do some serious planning

On or off? :lol: But seriously congratulations to your daughter and her fiancee and I'm sure you will look great as the MOB (mother of the bride).

Mudpie
01-21-2014, 06:33 AM
The next three days will be hard ones due to severe cold and wind. :brr: I have no DH tonite to keep me in check re the alcohol ::drill: since he is in class.

I will extend my streak! :strong:

:lol: last night when I went to bed. DH was upstairs studying so I lay down with our cuddly cat on the big couch. Instead of watching TV we listened to some New Orleans blues and jazz, quietly snuggling in the dark. DH came down and asked what I was doing. I told him Mishka and I were listening to music and snuggling. He wondered why we were in a dark room. "I don't need to listen with my eyes dear", I replied.

So later, after I had gone to bed, DH came in to say good night and he started smelling my breath (his nose literally up to my lips) and asking me what I had been eating.

I guess he thought I had been drinking :lol3: since I didn't turn the TV on at all yesterday.

Though I can't make it a streak I will definitely try to abstain from TV as much as I can. Or at least watch the instructional DVD's I bought.Time to climb out of the "mindless viewing" rut.

Dagmar :brr: :brr:

ICUwishing
01-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Congrats to DD and her fiance, Allison! Nothing like a near-future target to keep your focus on your plan. ;)

Dagmar, nice job on the streak! It is kind of funny how our housemates react to any sort of "different" behavior. My DH had me reprogram the furnace to come on earlier so he'll be "less unmotivated" to get out of bed and get on the treadmill - which he's actually done 2 of the last 3 mornings! I am strangely drawn to testing his resolve ... :devil: I won't, because I know how mean it is.

shannon, I think charging a credit card before shipping, especially weeks ahead of time, is unforgivable. Like, "roast you over the internet" unforgivable.

silverbirch, thank you for the reminder about balance exercises. So simple and yet so necessary. I'm glad they made you feel good! I'm not seeing much action on the scale either, and I'm also not motivated to mess with what I'm doing to try to change that yet. In February, if necessary. :yes:

rita, welcome!

My back seems to be in pretty decent shape. I didn't go swimming last night; after spending 3 1/2 hours standing on the kitchen tile doing food stuffs, it felt a little weird and I opted to ice it instead. I'm definitely going on Wednesday.

traveling michele
01-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Nothing like a specific deadline to motivate Allison-- right? Did they decide to have the wedding in the area you and I discussed?

I tried something new this morning. I've been taking a bunch of grapes with me to work and eating them on the drive in (remember I have a grape "issue"). So today, I put whitening strips on my teeth before leaving. I still took the grapes but I'll eat them later when I'm actually hungry. I'm hoping it will cut down on my work snacking a bit. We'll see. And I might have whiter teeth as a side benefit!!

alinnell
01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Michele~the wedding is at Hans Fahden winery in Calistoga. I've been looking at places to stay and really like The Wine Country Inn (http://www.winecountryinn.com/about/welcome-to-wine-country-inn.htm) which is about 7 miles from the vineyard, but DD doesn't think her fiance's family can afford that. I think it would be much more fun to stay at a B&B than at say, the Marriott. Where do you usually stay up there?

JayZeeJay
01-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Well, DD set her wedding date so I have 23 weeks to lose 20 pounds. Should be possible but my off plan weekends are interfering with my on plan week days. Time to do some serious planning!

Congrats! I have 22 weeks until my wedding. My goal was to get to 130 by then (hopefully before then to leave room for dress fitting, not that I've bought a dress yet). So far I've been totally on plan for two weeks and am back to 138. We can support each other in this since we have similar deadlines - I'd love to have a bit of support somewhere. My fiancť really hates when I talk about losing weight, it's almost like he takes it personally. He just says "you're perfect, I wish you wouldn't talk about that". Which is sweet in a way, but it also makes me feel alone in this. And I would really rather not feel self-conscious on wedding day, it's bad enough that I have always really hated having my picture taken without feeling fat on top of it.

That somehow turned into a mini-rant, sorry! We are closing escrow on our new house and moving, and the stress of that plus work plus wedding planning plus a family emergency has me wound a bit tight. :(

traveling michele
01-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Michele~the wedding is at Hans Fahden winery in Calistoga. I've been looking at places to stay and really like The Wine Country Inn (http://www.winecountryinn.com/about/welcome-to-wine-country-inn.htm) which is about 7 miles from the vineyard, but DD doesn't think her fiance's family can afford that. I think it would be much more fun to stay at a B&B than at say, the Marriott. Where do you usually stay up there?

Allison-- we've never stayed in Calistoga. We usually stay in Napa. We've stayed at a multiple of places from the Marriott (when we had points), to some charming B&B's. We've also stayed in Sonoma before. There are many lovely places there that I'm dying to stay at!

JayZeeJay-- sorry for your stress. That sounds like a lot to deal with all at the same time. :hug:

silverbirch
01-21-2014, 03:48 PM
No butter or peanut butter on Monday. Streak is 20. Things are going well. I felt a bit hungry at various points during the day but tried to relax and enjoy the feeling. Then it went away. Today was a rest day from exercise (apart from the 10 minutes or so I try to do always in the morning). I'll do legs again tomorrow.

Allison, you can do it! We are getting quite serious in this thread so there'll be lots of support. You're going to look great. :cool:

JayZeeJay, you're going to look great too. :cool: Like I said, we're getting serious here. No time-wasting. ;)

Dagmar, good going on the no-alcohol streak! You can do whatever you like tonight. Is the bathroom working? Have a bubble bath? It might really warm you up.

Becky, you're so wise. When a back feels 'a little weird' you've really got to look after it.

Michele, I'd forgotten the grapes issue! You take care!

Shannon, time to take up the yoga again?

Mudpie
01-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Birchie :bravo: on getting to the 20 day mark. I like your thought on enjoying the feeling of being a bit hungry and being relaxed about it. To me that always means I'm spot on plan. I know I'm getting enough fuel and that I"ll get more soon enough.

I am going to go to a restorative yoga class on Sunday. I will not have had an opportunity to shower (DH and the guy from his work will demo the bathroom Friday but things need to dry and cure) for a couple of days but I'll find a way to clean myself up enough to go. I've been putting it off and this studio was prompt and thorough in their reply to my inquiry about fees and services. I remember how much I enjoyed the classes I went to 2 winters ago and I've been keeping an eye out for another studio that offered this type of yoga.

I want some "me" time again and this will be a great opportunity for that.

Dagmar :yoga:

neurodoc
01-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Feeling guilty that I haven't posted in so long. I actually wrote most of a post about 4 days ago, then lost it switching tabs on my browser to check an IM from someone. I was so annoyed that it's kept me passively reading ever since. Silverbirch, good on you for 3 weeks butter/PB-free. It's funny the things we each find challenging; I can personally stay away from butter for months at a time and not notice; ditto for grapes. But ask me to abstain from chocolate or almonds for more than 3 days and I'll go into full-on DT's.

Interesting the lengths we go to to avoid food: Dagmar pouring detergent on leftover desserts; Michelle putting whitening strips on her teeth to avoid snacking in the car; Silverbirch logging her days to avoid butter. I'm right there with you all: today I forced myself to work through my afternoon snack period because I ate more for breakfast than I should have and need to keep daily cals under 1600.

I've been very good about logging all my food the last month or so, but I know it's only an estimate- some foods I can only guess at the nutrition profile (like when I eat out Thai or Chinese), and others I guesstimate the portion (1/3 c or 1/2? or is it really 2/3?). According to my BodyMedia Fit device, I should be losing weight like crazy at that level (a pound a week at least); instead, I seem to be essentially at maintenance despite a vigorous hour of exercise most days. I think I'm not going to renew the fee-based "activity manager" program for the device (which is the only way to make it work) because it's doing little other than making me sad.

California wine country sounds fab. I would love to go on one of those leisurely multi-day driving tours of wineries and scenery one day.

joyofsix
01-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Hi, I'm Lisa. I reintroduced myself in the into section. This may be the place for me since I'm trying to break my evening snack habit. I'm on day two of avoiding it but gotta start somewhere, right? Awesome job you are all doing.

Mudpie
01-22-2014, 06:34 AM
My streak unfortunately ended last night. I'm not so good when I go on a challenge of any kind - I tend to shoot myself in the foot quite early.

We have one more set of people coming over tomorrow night "for a glass of wine". I think I won't keep any alcohol in the house after that until DH's birthday. I have had a troubled past with alcohol and my brain is still wired to crave it. I guess that never goes away with some substances.

Dagmar :(