WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 09:27 PM   #1  

Question

I have a recipe for tandoori chicken that the whole family likes. It has yogurt in the marinade but most of the marinade gets left behind. Should I just estimate how much stays on the chicken to calculate points?
Karen
Old 03-11-2001, 09:46 PM   #2  
Chick-a-dee

Karen,

I would figure the points for the marinade and measure it's volume. Use the marinade, then measure the left overs. You should be able to easily figure how many points of marinade is sticking to the chicken, then divide that number by the number of pieces of chicken. It's likely it won't substantially raise the point value of each piece of chicken, but to be safe I would do this once to be sure. It just depends on how stringent you are on keeping up with your points!

Enjoy the tandoori, and if it's point-friendly, post the recipe so we can all try it out!

Annie
290/214/150
Old 03-13-2001, 11:50 PM   #3  

Thanks Annie
I tried this. Approximately half the marinade was left. This means only half a tablespoon of yogurt and half a teaspoon of lemon juice per chicken piece. I couldn't find lemon juice in the books and the yogurt was 2 points for 3/4 cup. It seems like this would be too small to count, but I counted one point for three pieces.
The recipe is simple.
Remove all skin and visible fat from chicken pieces.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Mix the following together as a marinade:
1 tbsp plain yogurt per chicken piece
1 tsp lemon juice per piece
tandoori masala powder
Cover chicken in marinade overnight. Barbecue. You can brush with melted butter just before it's done, but I skip this step.
This is one of my husband's favorite meals.
Karen
Old 03-14-2001, 12:36 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Generally, if your marinade doesn't have any oil in it and you don't make a sauce out of it, there's not enugh left on the food to add points to each serving. Also, lemon juice is 0 points. I wouldn't worry about the marinade in this recipe unless you eat a really large serving.

The recipe looks really great. I have one question--what's in the tandoori masala? I can't get specialty spice blends where I live unless I order from the Internet, but I often can get the different spices and blend my own.

Thanks,

Lin
Old 03-15-2001, 09:29 PM   #5  

Tandoori masala is an Indian spice. I found it in the Indian section of the grocery store (the local Superstore). It wasn't expensive, probably less than $2 for 100 gram package.
I hope you try this recipe. The chicken is really tender and tasty.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:03 PM   #6  
Chick-a-dee

Karen, thanks for the recipe. It sounds great, and I bet it would be good on fish, too.

Annie
Old 03-16-2001, 09:48 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

There are a bunch of marinade recipes I've posted:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...inade#post7821

and

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...inade#post8928
Closed Thread