Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #1  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

Default Just Not Myself Anymore :(

In the summer of 2005 I weighed 278 lbs. I made a decision to lose weight and I did...by the spring of 2006 I was about 70lbs lighter. And by the time 2008 hit I was 112lbs lighter. I counted calories and was addicted to exercise, it was a passion of mine (5/6 days a week)....but I was also a stay at home mom and had plenty of time to do this. ( my experience, please don't take this personal if your a stay at home mom)

So fast forward to 2013. I am now working a full time job. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and mild depression in the fall of 2010 and since then I have put on about 55lbs, I have lost my passion for exercise, I don't care about eating healthy anymore. It can sometime take every last drop of effort just to get off the couch and go for a walk.

When I was diagnosed with GAD I was prescribed Zoloft. It worked wonders for my anxiety but I quickly put on weight. I didn't want to stop it because I felt so good but I finally said "enough" after a year and after discussing it with my doctor I weaned myself off it. Since then I haven't taken anything. But I feel like I need something.

I am depressed and there are days when I can't stand the though of getting out of bed. My anxiety is up and down and I can't sleep at night.

I don't have insurance until January 1st (another reason why im not on anything, my husband was laid off in March and finally found a job ) But I plan on going to my doctor for something. I don't want to gain weight but Zoloft worked so well last time.

I just needed to vent. Im so frustrated with myself for getting so big. I want my 'umph' back, my desire to workout is gone and I just don't feel like myself at all.

Gotta go to work but will be back after.
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #2  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

I struggle with depression, too. Exercise helps, for me, and I'm guessing from what you say about having been "addicted" to it in the past, maybe it lightens your mood sometimes, too?

Would it help to think of exercise not as being about weight loss but as one free medicine for depression?

Hang in there.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/268/Goal #1 240

Height: 5'2"

My diagnosis this year was dysthymia. I am in the process of making good changes in different parts of my life...but the eating and exercise part has been soooo hard.

But, I have taken the plunge now...so let's do it!
loucitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #4  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

There are many different anxiety and depression meds that do not affect weight. They are different for everyone. I was on zoloft for years due to anxiety, gained as well no matter what I did. Ive been on Wellbutirin for at least 6 years now. I don't have the weight gain issue with the med and have taken it so long I often wonder if it does anything..until I decide to stop taking it and anxiety is worse.

Everyone says exercise is great for depression, well I was to depressed to care just wanted to eat , cry, and avoid people. I didn't have that trouble until I became a stay at home mom. Then the anxiety became worse many years later when I rejoined the work force and worked outside the home. It was so bad I would have panic attack thinking about having to speak to someone on the phone to order piazza.

There is help. Often it can take a few fifteenth meds to get the results you want. I did find that eating low carb actually helped my anxiety and depression. I wonder if it was due to steady blood sugar? I just eventually fer "high" and happy. Even more so as the lbs came off.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #5  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex_VVV View Post
I struggle with depression, too. Exercise helps, for me, and I'm guessing from what you say about having been "addicted" to it in the past, maybe it lightens your mood sometimes, too?

Would it help to think of exercise not as being about weight loss but as one free medicine for depression?

Hang in there.
Thanks for the support. The past two days I have made myself walk for 30 mins. I did feel better.

there is a nice gym about 15 mins away from me and I plan on joining in about 2 weeks. Im sure it will take a couple of months of working out to get back in the habit again..perhaps I will get addicted to it like last time

Good luck to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by loucitygirl View Post
My diagnosis this year was dysthymia. I am in the process of making good changes in different parts of my life...but the eating and exercise part has been soooo hard.

But, I have taken the plunge now...so let's do it!
Im with ya! I started watching what I ate Sunday and did very well yesterday too. As long as I don't have junk around, I can't eat it so that's my strategy for now. LOL

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn View Post
There are many different anxiety and depression meds that do not affect weight. They are different for everyone. I was on zoloft for years due to anxiety, gained as well no matter what I did. Ive been on Wellbutirin for at least 6 years now. I don't have the weight gain issue with the med and have taken it so long I often wonder if it does anything..until I decide to stop taking it and anxiety is worse.

Everyone says exercise is great for depression, well I was to depressed to care just wanted to eat , cry, and avoid people. I didn't have that trouble until I became a stay at home mom. Then the anxiety became worse many years later when I rejoined the work force and worked outside the home. It was so bad I would have panic attack thinking about having to speak to someone on the phone to order piazza.

There is help. Often it can take a few fifteenth meds to get the results you want. I did find that eating low carb actually helped my anxiety and depression. I wonder if it was due to steady blood sugar? I just eventually fer "high" and happy. Even more so as the lbs came off.
There is about 6 weeks left before I get insurance, so if I can just ride out this anxiety/depression until then I plan on getting on something.

Thanks for your input and good luck to you
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote