Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #1  
Shona★

S/C/G: 220/185.4/140

Height: 5'6

Default Which scale would you trust?

So I got new scales today and to my surprise they weighed me at a lower weight of 139.7. But the other (older) scales weigh me as 141.3.

I don't plan to keep comparing the scales, but when I saw how low I was on the new scales I just wanted to see if I had had a (official) loss, which I could only do on the other ones.

Is it possible for scales to weigh you lower than what you are?
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Every scale is a little different. Heck, even the same scale doesn't weigh you exactly the same everytime.

If one scale weighs you lower than the other at the same time and same setting, then all that means is they are different. Neither may represent your "true" weight. And it doesn't mean you lost any more weight, just that they are different.

So just pick one to use and use it going forward.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/205/155

Height: 5'5

Different scales weigh people differently. If you have been using your old one for a long time...I would continue to use this for true consistency. We have a little weight loss competition going on within my family. We all live in different areas and have Monday morning weigh ins. My daughter was home from college for the long weekend and we didn't count her weight on my scale because the numbers were different than hers at school.
Psav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #4  
Shona★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Every scale is a little different. Heck, even the same scale doesn't weigh you exactly the same everytime.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I bought the new scale - because our old scales weigh you within a 4-8 pound range which is quite ridiculous.
Some days they are really good and give you your proper weight, other days each time you hop off they say 'error'.

Thanks guys.
I've just decided that I will stick with the old scales since I've used them my entire journey, once I've reached goal i'll swap over to my new scales.
& looking on the bright side, it's not like I wasted my money buying them, they were half price and still going to come in handy one day... very soon!!

Last edited by Warrior; 10-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Is it possible for scales to weigh you lower than what you are?
Yes, if they are improperly calibrated.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

I have 2 sets of scales as I can't read the weight on one set with my eyesight.
My dial scales put me at 141 (husband takes a pic so I know he is not trying to make me feel better) and the large digital scales out me at 145lbs

I started out this journey on the dial scales so I take that as my weight. Choose one set and go with them. I only use my digital ones when I don't have husband to read read the others and it's only to check for a gain.
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I bought a balance scale from Amazon a while back. It was expensive - something like $180 when all was said and done...

For me, having this scale has totally eliminated any obsessing on the scale. It is correct. It is always correct. There need be no internal discussion with myself about how much I "really" weigh. Seriously, there is no jumping on and off ten times to compare, etc. None.

The directions to my scale tell how to calibrate it. It is easy, but it hasn't needed any calibration since I first got it.

If you are scale obsessive [like me], and can afford this piece of equipment, I highly recommend it. I think I may have even seen some used on ebay which wouldn't be quite so much.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #8  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

The balance scale sounds like it would be an improvement compared to other scales. I get easily upset and frustrated from different scales. I think the best thing for me, personally going forward is to weigh in on one scale weekly once I can bare weight. I think I will do that at my local WW meeting, having one at home tempts me too much to weigh too often and get frustrated. I am also considering not getting weighed at doctors and instead tell them the most recent weight that I was. Every scale is different.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

Yes. I once bought new scales and I weighed less on them, so I continued to use my old ones, just because I didn't want to become complacent and think I weighed less than I did and end up pigging out and gaining. But I did have a woman a work offer to by the new scales off me because of the lesser weighing fact, LOL. I can't recall any occasion anywhere on any scales where I've ever weighed the same. I used to hate being weighed at WW cos I always weighed more on the digital scales.

Last edited by happybug; 10-27-2013 at 11:57 PM.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #10  
Shona★

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
I bought a balance scale from Amazon a while back. It was expensive - something like $180 when all was said and done...

If you are scale obsessive [like me], and can afford this piece of equipment, I highly recommend it. I think I may have even seen some used on ebay which wouldn't be quite so much.
The balance scales sound great! But I'm guessing you're talking in USD? So in NZD that would be about $220 and unfortunately I don't have the money to buy them. :/
Also I don't use ebay, because I'm not sure of how to pay in different currencies and I heard that when you do there's bank fees and stuff. :/
But I'm on Trademe (which is just like ebay expect it's for New Zealanders) so I might see if they're on there.

Yeah, i'm like you when it comes to scales. I care weigh too much about what they read me at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybug View Post
But I did have a woman a work offer to by the new scales off me because of the lesser weighing fact, LOL.
Haha that's so funny! I feel like i'm cheating myself with the new scales, I would much rather prefer sticking with the ones that weigh me more. So at least when I get to goal I know that i'm truly at my goal.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #11  
Warrior Princess

I got lucky with this scale from Walmart. Right on the money to the ounce. When in doubt check with hand weights.

I did this after my docs office put me at 4p heavier and he argued that I was wrong when I told him his scale is off. Guess I was right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130403-01318.jpg (20.2 KB, 8 views)
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Pick one scale!

In the words of my sister, "Pick a lane!" and go with it!

I do understand that if you need to replace a home scale, it might differ. But give it some time to figure it out!

I do understand that the scale gives us immediate gratification or tosses us into sobbing fits of wet noodle beating.

But, the scale is only one tool. And in all reality, it is
the tool we should rely on the least!

Body measurements, pics, smaller clothes, and most of all, our health numbers, do we feel better, are we healthier, is our cholesterol better, are our diabetic numbers better, blood pressure, so on and so forth.

The scale is a number, but not always the most important one!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote