Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Back again! Need help!

I am back again. In the last six months I have gained forty pounds!!! My husband was ill with what we thought was lung cancer and I began to inhale food as a comfort (something that seems to numb me). Even after we found out he didn't have cancer and he began to get better I kept eating. I had bad neck spasms and pain in my head, which again prompted me to eat. Just had shoulder surgery - luckily it wasn't too bad. But I still have the dam spasms, and I still eat to quell the depression and anxiety. I am as much as I have ever weighed and I cannot seem to stop. Anyone have some advice at this point?

I am 62 and retired, but I teach twice a week painting classes. I bike every day on a stationary bike.
redjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hey Red-

I've been doing some emotional eating too. We just have to STOP! I gained almost 50 lbs when my husband was diagnosed and treated for cancer in 2004. I saw a therapist and was on anti depressants. I'm on a much lower dose which helps. And I found the Ideal Protein diet, here on 3FC and lost most of the weight. It's a constant struggle. I recently lost the 18 lbs I had regained before for my sons wedding but am already up 5 lbs. For me maintanining seems to be gaining afew lbs and then losing them. I need the supervision, quick weightloss of a program like Ideal Protein. How did you lose the weight the first time? Maybe we can help each other get back on track.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #3  

Your story sounds a lot like mine. You are right - we have to STOP! I keep track intermittently of my weight and food on fitday. I watch myself over the years go up forty then down forty or fifty, then back up. My son recently was married, but I was already down before I went to his wedding in England. I was feeling good, could walk a lot. Got back home to the news that my husband probably had lung cancer. Started to eat again.
For me the only diet that has worked is to restrict calories and to keep track EVERY day of what I eat. The minute I quit keeping track, I start gaining.
I have not heard of the Ideal protein, but I will check it out. I just watched a program about intermittent fasting and it sounds like a good thing to try. I think we can all use some encouragement. My husband is naturally thin and muscular - he doesn't really understand the notion of emotional eating.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #4  

Hi-

I did stop eating bad stuff for 2 days but I did a lot of damage. Everyone has to find what works for them. I definitely have to keep track of everything. It also helps me to weigh myself frequently but haven't for the last few days. It will be too ugly.

My computer has been very wacky. My husband is very athletic. He would not call himself lean because he doesn't weigh what he did in his twenties but most people would consider him good shape. Especially for his age (65.) I'm 59. Getting my thyroid and female hormones regulated has helped a lot. I also take Metformin, for blood sugar and that seems to help too.

But mainly I can't have the BIG chocolate binges anymore.

What is impacting me the most emotionally is this empty nest I have. One son live in D.C. The other is not far but newly married and just not interested in seeing us that much. If I ask to see him they'll come over for dinner once in two weeks. But it's not a priority for them. I get it. I don't like it but I get it. I have to find a new life. Also both my parents have Alzheimers and we just finished up my Mother's battle with breast cancer a few months ago. Kind of doesn't leave me time to find the new life. DH and I are going to Cambodia for a month to teach English as a foreign language to needy children. An adventure for sure.

How is your husband doing?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjb7 View Post
I am back again. In the last six months I have gained forty pounds!!!
Well, I know it doesn't seem like it, but I have found through experience that when I gain weight that fast, it actually can come off quickly. I gained about 20 pounds from February - June. I originally thought I had gained 20 from Dec-June but then I was looking at my calendar that I keep by the scale and I saw that the last time I had recorded my weight was in February. I only write down my weight when I am losing. When I am gaining, I ignore the scale. My name should be yoyo-dieter. I didn't have anything as stressful as you did - I don't know why I went on an eating binge like that. My husband also gained the same. We have both lost it.

I started in mid-July and have lost 24. I am shocked myself that I have lost it that fast. I'm 52 - and it seems like the older we get the slower it comes off. But this time, for the first time in 20+ years I am exercising (Leslie Sansone DVDs). I'm just calorie counting using My Fitness Pal. I'm finding it much easier than any of the crazy diets I have done the past few years.

Oh one more thing... I gave up diet sodas. I was drinking tons of them, about 6 cans a day. minimum. Now I'm pretty much only drinking water and sometimes a hot tea in the morning.

I bet if you can find something you like/can stick with, that you can lose what you gained in less than six months. And you know how FAST six months is! Six months will be here in a blink! Just try to find something you can stick with. One day at a time!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #6  

Hard to get time to post. Thanks for giving me such great input! I am slowly working up to starting again. Going to start the elliptical either today or tomorrow. I will keep on with my bike every day too. I don't think it is as important as reducing eating with weight loss, but it makes me feel better and gets out my angst. My physical therapist oked it today (working on my shoulder after my surgery).
I am hoping that what you said is true, sharon - since I gained this weight so fast I can take it off fast. That would be nice. I have been drinking diet sodas the last several months, and I agree with you, it is definitely work giving up.
My husband did not have cancer, Deelee, but they think he might have valley fever. He had been getting much better, and his lungs are WAY better. Back to his old energy almost.
I am going to plan some meals ahead also, which will avoid the grabbing stuff that is not on the menu.
The Cambodia trip sounds so interesting. My nephew is working there and living there with his family. He likes it there.
Yes, one day at a time!!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #7  

Hi -

Great that you're going to start the elliptical.
I used to do the elliptical until my shoulder surgeries, I can go back to it now but have been doing some walking and biking while the weather has been so nice. My son got married on September 20 and I was at my goal weight for about 2 days. That I ate like a man on death row. I gained about 8 lbs back but did stop and am a couple of lbs down from that.

Good job on you weight loss Sharon! I do think calories count. I pay attention to carbs too cuz I'm addicted to many of them and don't want to binge. So being good for the past few days have helped. Tomorrow evening will be harder. We are have a couple over for our monthly bridge and pizza night. We also have salad and dessert too. I well just get some individuals desserts. And have veggies to snack on. It's good to have a plan.