40-Somethings - Pre-Thanksgiving Day Challenge

View Full Version : Pre-Thanksgiving Day Challenge

junem
10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
This challenge runs from now through the Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day (U.S.) which is November 27th.

Challenge yourself to get to that next level, before the feasting at the end of the year commences and winter sets in.

Note: Thanksgiving Day itself should be a day off from on-plan eating IMHO because there are so many treats that don't get enjoyed much the rest of the year, from stuffing to cranberries to pie, to your family's own traditions.

Let's make the most of October and November.
:dust: :goodluck:

Sum38
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I challenge myself to weigh 144 pounds or less through diet and exercise!

Starting weight 152.8 lbs.

junem
10-07-2013, 03:33 PM
I am challenging myself to really, really get out of the 150's. That is still 5 elusive pounds away. And the exact same as it was in April!

My plan is to count calories and post them, starting tomorrow. If I fail to post them feel free to call me out on that.

Mrs Snark
10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I challenge myself to maintain focus and effort with a good (not complaining) attitude!

Sum38
10-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Well, my day did not go as planned and I resorted to food for comfort. No weigh-in for me this am. Off to a not so good start :(

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Hang in there Sum, you've been on a great roll, one off day will have very little impact in long run!

I am in vacation countdown mode (we leave Thursday at 4:00 a.m. to go to airport) and I'm feeling both excitement and stress and those feelings make me susceptible to eating too much. I am trying maintain focus while not being a killjoy for my husband (who has already begun the wild vacation eating, gah!).

LindaWW
10-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm joining the challenge! I got down to my goal of 146, then my husband came home from being gone all summer for work, and we spent a lot of weekends going camping, drinking wine and just eating like I used to. The end result was me gaining back 10 pounds :( So I'm back on track, and committed to working out every day - for at least 30 minutes, but planning on 60. October 26th is my 50th birthday, and I had really wanted to be at goal by then. It's not going to happen, but by Thanksgiving it will. So that's my challenge to myself!

Mrs Snark
10-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Linda - Hello there my fellow Scorpio! We have such similar goals! I will be 46 on October 25th, and have a goal to be under 146 by then.

We can do this!

LindaWW
10-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Mrs. Snark! I'm so frustrated with myself, for blowing all those weeks of hard work, and now having to lose the same pounds all over again :( Not to mention the fact that in my family, we always joke about having a 'birth-month' instead of just a birthday, and with this being a big one for me, I have friends and family coming out of the woodwork to take me out for dinner for my birthmonth. I think I have 4 dinners scheduled already! That will make losing weight extra hard, but I'm determined to do it.

Good luck to everyone, and let's do this!

appledore
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I would like to join the challenge. I would like to have a flatter stomach by Thanksgiving. Then I can wear empire blouses without looking like I'm pregnant.

smith1313
10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I want a 34 inch waist by Thanksgiving....I have no idea if 4 inches is doable by then. Looks like it's an ab-fest from here on out.

junem
10-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I ate rather a lot today. I figure it totals to about 2150 calories. I can make this day calorie neutral by going to the fitness club for about an hour. It doesn't close until 11:00.

Here's my food 'fess-up.Bfast:
halfnhalf in coffee 2 cups
bagel w margarine.
Snack1 1:
Whole wheat toast
Half n half in 1 cup coffee
Lunch:
Beef stew
5 saltines (instead of potato chips)
Chocolate square
Snack 2:
Those pesky potato chips
Dinner:
Glass of red wine
Salad
Poppy seed dressing (120 cal)
Spaghetti noodles
Marinara w 3 small meatballs

SarainMN
10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I would like to be in the 160's by thanksgiving!!!

I should update my ticker :)

Sum38
10-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Sw 152.8
Cw 152.8
Gw 144

junem
10-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I did end up doing about 35 minutes on the treadmill last night.

And then .... when I got home, DH was eating a bowl of ice cream and chocolate sauce. He thoughtfully got up from the couch, went to the kitchen, and came back with another spoon. So of course I ate some.

Yesterday was not a strong start to this challenge. Today is another day.

smith1313
10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
lost the carb bloat, measured this am at 37 inches. Jumped on the treadmill and finished 3.5 miles, 3 jogging. Have yet to put in my ab dvd, kinda scared it might hurt. LOL

Zuzus Petals
10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm on W3D2 of the C25K...

My challenge is to run the Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning!

junem
10-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Zuzus. I think I'd like to do that too. Our Mayor hosts a Thanksgiving morning run. I did C25K 2 years ago, and I am still running 2-3 times per week. Good luck with your training.

Yesterday I was doing fine, toast and coffee for bfast, leftover meatballs and a salad for lunch, and a small lean steak, boiled potatoes and roasted carrots for dinner. Then my SIL called me and said she needed to go to the mall near me and suggested we meet for a late night dessert at Baker's Square.

I had a slice of Country Apple pie. According to their web site that comes in at 500 calories!!!

2 days into this challenge I am 0 for 2.

Sum38
10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
junem 500 cal for apple pie, yikes! Today is a new day!

I feel bad saying that I had nice OP day. I was way under my 1200 cal limit at 8 pm so I had a nice peanut butter and apple treat. Scale rewarded me with 1.8 pound drop, yay. I am almost out of the 150's.

junem
10-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Yesterday (Thursday) was a pretty sensible day of eating. It is also my busy day, because I am taking a class in the evening. After class I had a granola bar, when I really felt like getting French fries from the drive-thru. All in all about 1580 calories for the day. I seem to do better when I am busier, when meal time is not so much of an event, and when I am too focused on other stuff to think about snacking between meals.

Further thoughts on my Bakers Square outing... I would never blame restaurants for the weight problem in the US, but there is something wrong when a small dessert has a third of a day's calories. How do they even pack that much fat and sugar into an ordinary innocent-looking piece of fruit pie?

junem
10-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Yesterday (Fri.) about 1900 calories. But I ran 4 miles.

Ate a bunch of DH's potato chips, 150 calories-worth I think. Some of DH's habits don't work very well for me. He snacks so much, but then he eats less at meals than I do. His bad habits are subtly infectious. :(

Teeni
10-12-2013, 08:32 AM
I'd like to join. I would like to hit 229 by thanksgiving so that would be an 11 pound loss. Not too unrealistic if I stick to plan. I think I would also like a second challenge of upgrading from my 2 mile walk to the 3 mile walk video by then. Gonna need that extra exercise to burn off all those yummy holiday goodies. Holidays, especially Christmas cookies and pies, are my weakness. I LOVE to bake, one year I had no one to share my goodies with and gained 35lbs over Christmas.

CW:240
GW:229

Sum38
10-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Yesterday I ended at 1500 cals. I made some awesome crockpot Hungarian stuffed peppers. I could not stop eating them. Because of the V-8, I think my body is hanging onto water. Scale jumped up by a pound.

Teeni
10-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Just realized this was in the 40 somethings. Opps, you guys mind if I hang though?

smith1313
10-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I did some figuring and it looks like my weight needs to be at least 155 by the end of this challenge to make my new year goal.....not only do I now have a measurement goal but also a weight goal. My weight has not made any significant movement in more than a month. Here we go....nice good starting weight loss of of 13 pounds! Good sign?

Sum38
10-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Surprisingly my scale went down a bit. I had dinner out last night with a dear girlfriend. I had saved my calories for the night, but I was sure that the sodium from a restaurant meal would show up on my scale, but nope it did not :D

guacamole
10-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi, everyone! I would like to participate in this challenge, albeit blindly. I have not weighed myself since before a host of religious holidays in September. At that time I was at 159, and not happy with myself. I knew it would only get worse, as I packed on the pounds with non-stop feasting during the month of September and beginning of October.

Well, the holidays ended, family went home, and my routine went back to normal. I began tracking my calories and biking or walking every day. I was still scared to weigh myself and wanted to give myself a week or two to "deflate" a bit from the celebrations. Things were going well.

Then disaster struck! While make an offtrail Uturn on my bike, my wheel got caught between a gap in the pavement and the grass, sending me flying to the ground with my bike on top of me. My left foot got caught in the pedal as I tumbled to the ground and the end result is that I have a broken leg! I am in a cast for 6 weeks! Now I have 5 more weeks to go.

Aside from the physical discomfort and disruption, I am scared about packing on the pounds while largely bed ridden. I can't put any weight on my leg for another 5 weeks. The last time I was on bed rest was when I was pregnant with my youngest son. I put on over 60 lbs!

I already was packing on too much weight before the accident...now what? So, my goal is to stick to my calorie range and avoid over eating and sugary snacks. My food choices are limited, as I am not at liberty to shop or prepare whole and healthy foods. I didn't realize how much cooking and prep I do during the week for my meals. I can't really do much of that now. My husband has been getting lots of take out. I am trying to at least control portion sizes and snacking in between.

Ugh! Sorry for the long post, but I really am going to need to check in here each day so that I don't wind up 25-50lbs heavier in a few weeks!

Thanks for your motivation!

Sum38
10-13-2013, 09:08 AM
I am so sorry Guacamole! I broke my ankle 5 years ago and was in a cast nearly 12 weeks, so I feel your pain :(

guacamole
10-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Sum38 - Well, knowing that helps me believe I can survive and thrive if you came through it!

junem
10-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Guacamole. How awful about your leg. My heart goes out to you being laid up like that. Hopefully your hubby will make the effort to get you some fresh fruit and veggie choices, along with take out food. Stay well. I hope the next 5 weeks fly by. Keep us posted.

Teeni sure, you are completely welcome to hang out with us middle age folks. We are pretty young at heart I think.

I didn't count calories yesterday, but I didn't binge eat or anything. I made fish and roasted buttercup squash for dinner. I had split pea soup and 1/2 a sandwich for lunch, and just a few potato chips in between.

This morning I ran 2 miles and walked 1 more. I ran on a tree lined trail that is developing that golden fall color. Was really nice!

newleaf123
10-13-2013, 03:05 PM
guac, I'm so sorry to read about your accident! I hope your recovery is as easy as possible. It sounds very difficult to go through...

guacamole
10-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the love, ladies! I go to the doctor today for another X-ray to see how things are doing. I hope I don't fall on my face trying to get there and back. Wish me luck!

FYI - went with family to a restaurant for lunch and had a big meal, but it was my only meal for the day. Wasn't hungry otherwise. Probably ate around 1600 calories. Restaurants are horrible for dieting!

Sum38
10-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I had a very good "food" weekend, and scale rewarded me with a small loss.

Sw 152.8
Cw 150.6
Gw 144

junem
10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
oh Sum you are so close. Keep up the good work.

The scale was kind to me today too. 152.5. I think it must be all the herbal tea I have been drinking for my nerves. My eating habits, while not as bad as they could be, haven't been ideal.

Zumbachica
10-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Is it too late to join this challenge? I want to weigh 139 ..I want to finally get out of the 140s!!!!!!!

Sum38
10-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Never too late Zumba!

I had another nice OP day. 4th one in a row :)

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Tabbouleh
Dinner Smoked salmon w/ cream cheese and crackers
Snacks Carrots and apple
Cals 1200

Exercise
Walk 4.7 miles
Weight Lifting 45 min (yay)

Weight 150.4
Down 0.2 lbs

junem
10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Zumba. Hey chica, join us. Glad you had fun camping.

Yesterday was ok. I am noting that I do a lot of snacking. I also note that it is hard to know the calories in food cooked from scratch, like my beef gravy, or the chicken legs (which I coated lightly w herbs and panko crumbs, and baked). Additional factoid I discovered is that 4 oz of beer is only 55 calories, and just enough to enjoy a taste.

Here's how yesterdays eating breaks down.
Bfast
Coffee and Half n half -2 cups
Lunch
Hot dog and bun and relish
Snacks
Left over squash w beef gravy
Pumpkin seeds
2 saltines
Dinner
Chicken leg
Roast potatoes
Salad
Cranberry juice
Late evening
4 oz beer (DH is only too happy to drink the other 8 oz.)

guacamole
10-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Hello all! Trying to stay on track, despite a large platter of get well cookies sent by family! So far I have stayed away! :)

Hope you are all doing well.

Sum38
10-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Guacamole, are the pain meds making you lose your appetite? When I broke my ankle, I lost my appetite completely and lost 11 pounds in 3-4 weeks.

Zumbachica
10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
OMGOSH Guac!!!! so sorry to hear about your leg...you sound like you have a great attitude.....
I hope your healing is speedy....

Well I had a pretty bad day today. Succumbed to some emotional eating that included cookies...and Chinese fried rice...I feel really bloated and gross right now....

This Thanksgiving I do not have my children....so I'm a bit sad about it......but want to reach this goal by that date because I don't want to be sad and also disgusted about my weight.....

jennykay
10-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I am new here and ready to challenge myself. I plan to get down to 155 (from 162) before Thanksgiving.

Sum38
10-16-2013, 08:34 AM
:welcome3: jennykay

junem
10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Yesterday, calories ~1850. I think/know this is too many. I offset it somewhat by running 30 minutes and walking 15 more. I don't like the pattern of my eating yesterday, and it is a pretty typical pattern for me.
Basically, only coffee for bfast. Then several snacks midday instead of one proper lunch. I had a few bites of leftovers ~noon and told myself that was lunch. DH came home for lunch, but not until 1:30, I had a few bites of his lunch. Then I had crackers and lunch meat as a snack at 3. So I kinda ate lunch 3 times. Pizza and salad for dinner. I make the pizza on a flatbread crust, load it w veggies and don't use much cheese, its pretty healthy. But then I had some chocolate for dessert and later I split a beer w DH. And later still I broke into the chips and salsa. TOOO MUCH SNACKING!!

Jennykay. Welcome! 162 to 155 by Thanksgiving, that's ~ 1 lb per week. That's an achievable goal. Go for it :)

GUAC. How sweet that your family sent cookies. Maybe have one for ceremony's sake and then stay away. Your willpower is an inspiration.

Sum38
10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I had a sodium rich day yesterday. Scale stayed the same. And TOM arrived. I am hoping for a nice whoosh :)

Sw 152.8
Cw 150.4
Gw 144

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Smoked salmon w/cream cheese and crackers, tomato
Dinner HM cheese and chicken nachos w/trimmings
Snack grapes and apple
Calories 1600

Exercise
4.7 mile walk
60 minutes of swimming

Weight
No Change

junem
10-16-2013, 11:11 PM
I was doing fine until the eggplant and tofu curry I made for dinner turned out so delicious. I went back for a 2nd huge helping. No idea how many calories.

Sum38
10-17-2013, 06:41 AM
I am out of the 150's!! I had a nice big whoosh last night. Thank you Whoosh Fairy!

Sw 152.8
Cw 148.6
Gw 144

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Tabbouleh
Dinner Beef tenderloin, salad with veggies and feta (w/dressing)
Snacks string cheese, strawberries
Total cals 1200

Exercise
3.8 mile walk
Weight lifting 45 min
Elliptical 30 min

Weight this am
Down 1.8 lbs

Teeni
10-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I finally managed to pull myself back together after a troubling 2 weeks and lost 5 pounds. I went down to 237. Unfortunately I am back up to 238. I could think of a few reasons why. I doubt it becuase I cheated and ate a few pieces of candy and an extra couple bites of dinner last night but I can't help but feel guilty. Trying to tell myself its muscle from doing my exercise video. I am using muscles I don't normally use. That would build muscle mass right? I don't know I'll just buckle down today and avoid all that yummy candy stashed in my cupboards. Things are gonna get rough hubby is sick, son is getting sick and in two days I wouldn't be surprised if I was sick.

junem
10-17-2013, 10:22 AM
The scale reading is going to fluctuate. Do what you know you need to do. Trust in the long term trend. Don't give 1 pound a second thought.

jennykay
10-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Yes, for the first time I am tracking my measurements in addition to weight. I think that may give a better indicator of true progress. There are just too many things that can cause weight to fluctuate.

Sum38
10-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Teeni, you may be retaining water in your muscles whilst they heal. It is not uncommon to go up in weight when one starts an exercise routine.

Sum38
10-18-2013, 06:58 AM
How I love post TOM whooshes!

Eating was perfectly OP, I walked and I was hoping to go swimming which did not happen due to a very busy day. Today I have a full exercise day planned ahead :) This is becoming like a full time job for me...lol

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Tabbouleh
Dinner Beef tenderloin w/ greens, tomato, cuke, onions, peppers, feta cheese and dressing
Snacks apple w/pb, string cheese
Cals 1200

Exercise
4.7 mile walk

Weight this am
Down 0.8 lbs

Sum38
10-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Weight loss is sticking!

Sw 152.8
Cw 147.8
Gw 144

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Cottage cheese, pineapple and tabbouleh
Dinner Salad with veggies, beef tenderloin, feta and dressing
Snacks String cheese, apple w/pb, dark chocolate
Cals 1450

Exercise
4.7 mile walk
45 min weight lifting
30 min elliptical
60 min lawn mowing

Weight this am
No change

junem
10-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I have made some mindless and poor food choices in the last two days. It started with someone offering me a crispy crème doughnut. I also made rice crispy treats to take to a school function. There were leftovers, can't waste leftovers. DH made a frozen pizza, DH bought jumbo bag of potato chips.

Long story short, I didn't keep track of exactly what went in my mouth over the last 48 hours. I didn't binge or anything, just a little sweet here, a few chips there, and I am sure that adds up to no good.

Last night I had tomato soup with tofu for dinner, a good choice I thought. It is about 320 calories, has just enough protein, and is better than it sounds. So far the scale is holding steady at 152, and not showing any damage. But we will see on Monday, my official weigh day.

Sum38
10-20-2013, 08:44 AM
We went to see Michigan State football game and my eating was totally off. Because of my celiac I could not eat anything at the stadium, except some roasted almonds. I was starved when I got home. I ate some odd things for dinner :D I did get my calories in for the day, scale jumped nearly a pound as well :(

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch None
Dinner Panera bread broccoli soup, taboulleh, apple with lots of peanut butter (ugh), string cheese
Snacks Roasted almonds
Cals 1350

Exercise
None

Weight this A.M.
Up 0.8 lbs

Sum38
10-21-2013, 07:12 AM
I did not tally what I ate yesterday. I think calories were within my limits but choices were horrid.

Scale stayed the same.

Sw 152.8
Cw 148.6
Gw 144

Zumbachica
10-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Teeni, I'm a certified fitness instructor so I'll tell you what I've seen over the years. When someone starts an exercise program, it doesn't matter If its cardio or resistance, the muscles hold on to water , there's a bit of inflammation going on, and that causes a temporary weight gain. Nothing to be concerned about...give yourself a week or two to level out....don't stop exercising because of it!!!! Just my two cents for all that it is worth.

junem
10-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Sum. Go Spartans. Nice job dominating Purdue.

Saturday I ate a bagel and peanut butter for bfast, and just some crackers and cream cheese for lunch. Then I went out to a drinking establishment and had a HUGE burger, chips and cole slaw, and several beers. Awful !!!!

Sunday was better. Roasted chicken for both lunch and dinner, and some nice veggies with dinner.

Scale this AM was at 153#. MUST MUST exercise today.

LuvCats
10-21-2013, 09:43 PM
A bit late but I'll jump in here. Going to make my goal to get back to exercising at least 3x week.

guacamole
10-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Hello, all! Great job on the whooshes and exercise happening! I have been logging my calories and staying between 1300-1600 depending on the day. Any activity completely wipes me out, and after seeing the doc yesterday, I know that I have a long road to recovery ahead. I really did a number on my leg, as it was not a straight break, and both sides of my ankle were affected. I am going to have my cast for another month, then a walking boot with crutches, and physical therapy. It will be a good 4 months of recovery time. It scares me how quickly my fitness level is dropping. Simply going up and down the stairs makes me winded. If I venture outdoors, I am wiped out by the time I come home. Every time I need to get up to go to the bathroom, get my meds, or get food, I really have to gear myself up for it. I find myself "holding it in" like a little kid who is too busy playing to want to go to the potty! It's just too much effort to go to the bathroom as often as I usually would! Ugh. My food options are not the greatest, the only thing I am doing is trying to stay within calories. I just don't want to gain....

Teeni
10-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Finally got the energy to come in check in. Just after my last post both my son and I got super sick. I had no idea muscles hold onto water after starting an exercise routine. Getting sick through me off the routine though. I think I ought to be able to pick up where I left off. Its kinda fun to see that I woke up today at a lower weight without making any effort.

Guacamole: I am sorry you got hurt. When I was sick I let things go to. I made a few poor choices and couldn't exercise, but I tried not to stress it and I did manage to balance out no loss and no gain. Sometimes its best just to be happy that you are maintaining. If I were you I would continue on counting and just try not to make the lack of exercise an issue. Don't give it the power to make you doubt yourself and lose faith. Just keep pushing one day we are all going to reach that beautiful point where we are at the weight we want. AT this point I will just be happy to be there whether its 6 months from now or 12. It is totally better than never.

Sum38
10-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Okee dokee, I am back! I took a few days off from dieting and scale jumped 4 pounds. UGH!

I am eating clean today; so far so good. Cutting that junk food cycle is hard. -- I am busying myself with errands, workouts and lots of green tea to keep my mouth busy :dizzy:

I am hoping to drop a few pounds of that bloat today and the rest within next few days. When will I learn that cheat days are a bad idea? I was sooo happy to be out of the 150's and now I am right back. I guess in a long run, two off days will be meaningless.

On a positive side, I haven't had any liquid doughnuts :D

Sw 152.8
Cw 152.6
Gw 144

Zumbachica
10-24-2013, 06:45 PM
My eating has been absolutely HORRIBLE lately.....trying to get back to that place where I have a grip on things. So happy that I don't have to zumba after tomorrow.....I'm exhausted. Going to get my act together as of tomorrow.....

Sum38
10-25-2013, 07:15 AM
You and me both, Zumba!

I was actually able to pull myself together and have two OP days in a row. Let's hope that the junk cravings are over now. I am still a good pound heavier than I was a week ago, but atleast back into my 140's.

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Salad w/ veggies, grilled chicken, feta and dressing
Dinner Salmon, rice and veggie
Snacks N/A
Total cals 1050

Exercise
4.7 mile walk
Weight Lifting 45 min
Elliptical 30 min

Weight
Down 3 pounds

junem
10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
I MUST get back to counting calories, at least for a little while. I have not been doing it for the last 6 days or so.

I have been good about exercise, but I have grabbed fast food a few times this week. The scale is holding steady, but it certainly ain't heading down. I have a couple of food related outings planned for this weekend, but also a big bike ride. I am hoping the effects will cancel each other out.

Zumbachica
10-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Hello all....

I am back OP today.....haven't gotten on the scale, i'm too afraid..and too afraid to try on my levis....but I definitely feel more in control today than I have been since I got back from camping...I even went into dunkin donuts to get coffee and donuts for the kids and didn't indulge....lets hope that I can keep this up..;)

Sum38
10-27-2013, 09:08 AM
I did not count calories yesterday, but I think they were pretty low. I resisted two temptations....first we went to Tim Horton's and I wanted their Pumpkin Pie Latte, but ended up getting just coffee....saved 300 calories and something like 50g of sugar :eek:. Later on at the pumpkin patch, which is also a farm, I resisted homemade icecream.

I was a little mad at my scale this morning. It went up :mad: I am still under 150 lbs, but still.... I guess I could be crying here how bad I was and how my scale jumped up past 150 :lol:

I did not exercise at all, except fitbit recorded 9000 steps from the various functions/activities we did all day yesterday.

Zumbachica
10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
hi all..

it was so nice to have the weekend "off". it was a very active weekend though....moved a lot of stuff around my house, went to a very cold beach for kite flying and then walked around town.....had a big breakfast (bacon and eggs, toast with butter and jam) but was starving because I didn't have much of a dinner the night before. Lunch was clams on the half shell , calamari and duck confit over salad. Skipped the dessert menu and just had coffee....baby steps......it was a special weekend because I was away but I have to buckle down and get serious now before my big move to my new house and my new life. Doing low carb this week.

guacamole
10-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Hello, all! I came in way under my calorie goals yesterday, at 770 total calories for the day. It's not something I am particularly happy about, but being pretty immobile and unable to prepare meals, means that I often skip meals. Considering that I am not getting exercise, I suppose having a few low calorie days sprinkled in isn't a bad thing. I was at 159 when I broke my leg, so it will be interesting to see where I am when the cast comes off. I think my secret weapon will be logging my food on myfitnesspal to keep myself accountable. So far, I have been logging in daily, and I am proud of that!

You guys continue to motivate me by sharing your journeys and successes!

Zumba - congrats on your new house and new life! You sound happy and hopeful!

Sum - Congrats on resisting those temptations! I think I would have caved!

junem - Great job on the exercise!

teeni - hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to count the little things as victories, such as tracking my calories and staying within the range I need to maintain. I'll be happy if I step on the scale to where I started before the accident.

Have a great day, everyone!

junem
10-29-2013, 12:40 PM
The days in the calendar cycle approaching 'those days' it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I put on 2 to 4 pounds. This has a tendency to make me inclined to binge a little; its like if the scale is going to punish me I am gonna be bad. Weighed in at 154 today, and resisting the urge to sabotage my efforts with sweet and salty (also fatty) foods.

I did run this morning and I biked nearly 40 miles on Saturday. My eating has been so-so. Got pizzeria pizza last night, and had another slice for a midnight snack.

Guac. Bet you are counting the days until you are done with cast wearing. Hang in there.

Apple Blossom
10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Hello! I am hoping to lose a few pounds by Thanksgiving. I would like 8 pounds gone, but realistically that would be hard. 5 pounds seems more reasonable.
We will see how it goes. Don't have a plan yet, except I know I need to dramatically reduce my beer habit.:witch: I have not been exercising all that much lately either, so I have to step that up.
Today I am just drinking smoothies for a kick start. Didn't weigh in today but I've been hovering around 175. Ultimate goal is 145.
Hope to get to know all of you during the next month!

guacamole
10-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Hello, all. I bit the bullet and managed to step on the scale. I weigh in at 162, which I am not happy about, but, assuming that my cast weighs 2 or 3 lbs, that puts me right around where I was before my injury, which is great! I am continuing to log my calories and keep myself accountable with my eating. I also have been cheating with sugary foods way less than usual, since I don't have access to the grocery store or baking myself. I really want to get back into the 150s, but I am happy that I am halfway through my cast confinement and haven't packed on major pounds! My goal continues to be logging calories and staying within my range.

Have a safe Halloween, everyone!

Sum38
11-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I took a few more days off from dieting, and now I am finally ready to get back on that horse.

I need to get back to logging and planning my meals and exercises, and not eating junk and candy.

I am above 150 again :mad: I loathe that number.

On a positive side; I was wearing size 8 pants at ease. The rest of the 8's will fit me well after I drop 3-5 pounds.

How are the rest of you doing???

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Ceasar salad w/ pork tenderloin
Dinner Assorted Finnish foods
Calories ??

Exercise
4.4 mile walk

Weight 150.6
Down 0.2 pounds

Apple Blossom
11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Weighed in and lost 1 pound. Maybe. Since I don't really know what my start weight was. :dizzy:
Made it through Halloween with out any total pig outs, although I did it more candy than I should have.:devil:
Have to step up the exercise, so that will be the focus this week. I'd like to burn 500 cals a day exercising. Unfotunately it was super windy today so I didn't go running, my calorie burner of choice. I did some stationary biking, but not nearly enough. Well, the day is not over. :ebike:

Guac & Sum, I think we are going to have a great week! Lets keep on it!!

Zumbachica
11-04-2013, 10:20 PM
im doing really badly....ate pie tonight, a few mini croissants and two mini mounds bars. I know that the holidays are coming and a cold long winter and that Is when I always put on weight. Last winter was HORRIBLE..I don't want to be like that again this year...

junem
11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Oh gawd, these gray Autumn days do not inspire me. I could just lay around in my PJ's all day, and not care. I am holding steady at 154. which is not what I was hoping for. But I can't honestly say I have put in the effort for a better result.

Thinking maybe a short fruit juice fast would get me on track. But in general I think these sorta things are just a gimmick. Still I ought to do something.

Apple Blossom
11-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm with you guys, so uninspired but really wanting to get rid of the extra weight. It's hard. Drank some beer last night while watching Monday night Football. I am going to try to go beer-less for 3 days. I usually try to challenge myself for longer periods of time and usually fail. So maybe a mini challenge will do the trick.
I went for a jog this morning and discovered that I only ran twice last month. So I need to get back to my running. I ran 58 miles last November!! How the heck did I do that??? Well, I'd like to get close to that this month, maybe 50. I'm running a turkey trot 5K on Thanksgiving. Time to train for that!
Hope you all find some motivation today!:drill:

Zumbachica
11-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Apple, i'm with you on the beer thing. I have been ordering it out since Pumpkin beer is in season.....when it isn't I won't be drinking as much beer...it certainly makes the calories add up doesn't it?

Junem Im surrounded by people in the fitness industry that do shakes and juice fasts. They work...but temporarily. I think it is a great way to make some headway when you are in a plateau.

Sum you confuse me..you say you are above 150 again but then you talk about fitting into your clothes again.....so you lost inches? Weight lifting does that...

Guac: how are you feeling?

As for me my life is topsy turvy....moving into a new house..very exciting.. I have to make the time to eat healthy....:)

Sum38
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
It is strange Zumba. Weight is up about 2-3 pounds but all my 8's, except two dresses that won't zip over my bust, fit. I even ordered 2 new pairs of pants from WHBM in size 8 and they fit. You would think that, that would give me new zest what comes to weightloss, but nope. I am totally feeling lukewarm about the whole thing. I know I will regret it later when my weight loss mojo kicks back in.

I have had a raging migraine; today is my second day suffering from it. It feels like that it is about to go away. I haven't had a migraine in ages.

I feel lazy about life, a strange feeling for me.

Sum38
11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Where is everybody?

Okee dokee, I am back OP and trying. I hate to see that 150 (even if it is 150.2) on my scale and I could do better!

I am back to walking and weight lifting and eating OP, my biggest obstacle.

I may not end up much lighter by Thanksgiving, but even if it is a pound or two, I will celebrate it!

Zumbachica
11-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello Sum..I am here my friend!!! I think its great that you are fitting into your size eights and feeling good..do not take that for granted. The resistance training is probably make you lose inches and tighten up..and that's GREAT.
I wore a size 6 black jeans from WHBM yesterday, they were a bit stretchy...I had a bit of a muffin top..didn't feel comfortable...but I was happy to have gone down a size...

Ihave been so busy with my move and all that I haven'tbeen thinking all that much about what am eating....

Sum38
11-10-2013, 10:07 AM
I had a better day what came to my eating. Woot!
TOM should get here soon and hopefully it will bring a whoosh below 150 with it. -- I am looking for that motivation to kick in...oh where oh where are you?

Today I have a date planned with a GF to see Mamma Mia! Looking forward to it. We may go out to dinner, but she is on diet as well (she has lost 40 pounds, I am so proud of her), so dinner should not be a huge deal. And since I am not drinking, no calories from alcohol.

Zumba I am so proud of you fitting into 6's!! Have you done any weight training?

Zumbachica
11-11-2013, 01:09 AM
SUM..I think these size 6's were a fluke...most of my clothes STILL do not fit...or do not fit comfortably..but that's what this challenge is about for me....I'm not even obsessing over the scale anymore, I just know that I need to get back into my clothes...buying a new wardrobe is out of the question......I have so many expenses with the new house....

I haven't had a chance to weight lift or work out in the new gym that I joined...hopefully I will get there this week..I get one free personal training session so I hope the trainer can create a program for me to start with..although I pretty much know what to do since I have been working out for years. My specialty is group fitness and NOT personal training though, so I like to get a second opinion....I know it will make a big difference...as is the new program that I hope to teach.....

I didn't have any alcohol tonight when I went out to dinner and I ordered a salad....granted it was high in calories but it was somewhat healthy.....there isn't much you can order at Chili's that is healthy. Not my first choice of places to eat but it was conveniently next to Home Depot...didn't have dessert either....yay me :)

Sum38
11-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Zumba; I think their sizing is off at times. I wore a size 6 dress last night.... all the reviews said it run big and for me to fit into size 6, nicely, is a miracle. I also have size 10 jeans from them that I am just starting to fit into.... I think their new stuff runs larger than their old stuff.

Sum38
11-11-2013, 07:40 AM
My day was semi successful. I had a lighter lunch because I knew I would be going out to dinner. Ended up ordering nachos, but only ate about 1/4th of them. Scale showed 1 pound gain, which I am perfectly okay with. I did not get any exercise in because my theater trip took most part of my day.

Today I am volunteering at the Finnish Center all day, and I will probably just get my weight lifting session in. By the time I get home, it will be closer to 5 pm and too dark to walk.

I volunteer at the local Finnish center. The center itself is getting "old", all volunteers are quite advanced in age, and I feel good about bringing in some fresh blood. I was just "promoted" ...lol... I have my own committee right now and I am in charge of memberships.

What I like about volunteering there, I get to get all dolled up and wear some of those fabulous WHBM clothes I have :lol: Today I am wearing this skirt http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=99&pageId=1&productId=570082333&viewAll=true&prd=Printed+Soft+Skirt&subCatId=cat210002&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=18&catId=cat4809277&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size= with a red tank, black blazer and black heels...all from WHBM of course :D

So off to shower I go. Everybody have a FAB day!!! :love:

junem
11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi all. Just checking in to say I have to check out for a while. I am traveling to help a relative who is in a tight spot having health problems and facing eviction from apartment in the same month.

I can't seem to get on the calorie counting wagon, but I am maintaining my weight at the current plateau.

I went to Bakers Square again last night. Its a comfortable, reasonably priced place to meet a GF for a chat over a meal. But I am starting to feel that the place is toxic. The salad croutons practically oozed with oil. The corn bread was way buttery. And the fruit pies are much too sugary. Apples should barely need any sugar to make a good pie. Next time, some place else!!!!

junem
11-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Just a weather note. ITS SNOOOOOWWING !!!!!!
I just love the first snow. End of bicycling season, but beginning of winter season. Maybe I will buy snow shoes this year.

SO SO Preetty!!!!

guacamole
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey, gals! Great job on fitting into smaller sizes. I wore clothes (not PJs) for the first time in awhile on Sunday. Everything is so tight. It's a horrible feeling when you are going in the wrong direction, size wise. I am feeling really down about it. It is hard to get a real assessment of how things fit, since wearing a skirt with your leg bent up in a cast kind of stretches things in all the wrong ways. Can't wait to have both my feet on the ground again!

justsayno
11-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I know that this challenge has been going on for a while but can I join? I just signed up today, I think I could really benefit at this point if I challenge myself to something.

Sum38
11-16-2013, 10:14 AM
justsayno :welcome3: More the merrier!!

I am still looking for my lost mojo. DH is trying to motivate me, but it really needs to come from within.

Today's plan includes a walk and weight lifting, ugh. I don't feel like doing either of them :cry:

My day was "okay"... I ate too much beef stew for dinner but otherwise I was OP all day.

I am really hoping to drop a few pounds this week. So I am giving up chocolate for the next few weeks and see what happens.

Sum38
11-17-2013, 01:07 PM
I think I am finally finding my mojo, woot!

My new lifestyle starts today. One meal at a time! And I am back to being accountable and posting my meals/exercise/weight.

Today I am fasting. Fasting always kickstarts my healthy eating habits and cuts the junk cycle.

Yesterday's Meals

Bfast
Green Tea

Lunch
Pulled Pork

Snacks
cheese, crackers and peanut butter

Dinner
Prime Rib, potatoes, veggies, salad and chocolate mousse (Birthday dinner out)
Calories, a lot :D

Exercise
4.2 mile walk
Weight Lifting 30 min

Weight
No W/I

junem
11-20-2013, 12:03 PM
I am back in town, and back to my regular internet connection. Somehow, Thanksgiving is nearly upon us. I am at the low end of my weight range. However, I still am not close to breaking out of the 150's.

The best thing about being back home is the ability to cook my own meals. I may eat a few more calories than I'd like, but at least I know what's in those calories and I feel home cooked food is so much healthier than restaurant schlock!

Sum38
11-23-2013, 09:55 AM
I am still above my starting weight. I am hoping to get back to it by the time this challenge ends. -- I think my mojo is back :woohoo:

Bfast
Green Tea
Lunch
Hamburger, no bun, side salad
Dinner
Chili
Snacks
Apple w/PB

Weight this a.m.
Exercise
4.2 mile walk
40 min weight lifting

Veloria
11-23-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm joining this party late but broke my plateau finally and am challenging myself to keep it going and not let the holiday week screw up my progress. I plan to continue to count calories and stick to my limit daily as well as exercise more than I have been lately. My food has been completely on point, my activity level definitely needs some work and that's something I'm going to work on over the next several days, starting with a long hike both today and tomorrow. I want to see a lower number on the scale when this challenge ends. Thanks for starting this challenge. I've never been below 155 in my adult life, so I'm heading into unchartered territory and need all the support I can get! Good luck to everyone on sticking to the challenge.

Sum38
11-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Welcome!! Never too late. And I am sure we'll do another challenge after this one :)

Sum38
11-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I had another OP day :cp: No I just hope this is the beginning of many more :hat:

Meals
Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Chili w/sour cream
Dinner Salmon, rice, asparagus, tomato/avocado/onion salad
Snacks Apple w/PB
Total cals 1400

Weight this am

Exercise
4.2 mile walk

Sum38
11-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Meals

Bfast Green Tea
Lunch Meatballs, salad w/feta,avocado, tomato, onion & Italian dressing
Dinner Chicken with pesto, potato & asparagus
Snacks Apple w/PB

Exercise
4.2 mile walk

Weight

Sum38
11-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Meals
Bfast ~ Green tea
Lunch ~ Feta/tomato salad
Dinner ~ Chicken and rice soup, pork tenderloin, carrots, butternut squash, onions, grapes and mango
Snacks ~ Apple w/PB
Calories 1600

Exercise
45 minutes of weight lifting (circuit)

Weight

Sum38
11-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Well I failed miserably on this challenge. I am 10 pounds heavier than I intended to be :(

"I challenge myself to weigh 144 pounds or less through diet and exercise!
Starting weight 152.8 lbs."

Current stats
Weight 154 :( :(

I know this challenge was pretty slow but anyone game for a xmas challenge?

Zumbachica
11-27-2013, 07:14 PM
I failed over...gained weight...never got around to resistance training..never cleaned up my eating. Oh well, bring on the next challenge.

Sum38
11-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Zumba Check this one out; http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/290115-christmas-eve-challenge.html