Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #1  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone's face breaking out?

The title pretty much sums it up. I'm 55, I had acne as a teen but was clear for years. (With the exception of a few very minor monthly flare ups now and then.) I have no more equipment so no monthlys but I'm getting zits now that I'm losing weight. I was blaming the heat but that has passed. It's ridiculous to have pimples at this age. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I'm having breakout and other skin issues. A symptom log like Healthminder helped me pinpoint my worst triggers:

1. Wheat (causes me all sorts of issues, not just pimples, from swelling, red "orange peel skin" to rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis that progresses if unaddressed to a painful, itchy impetigo rash.

2. Sugar and other grains trigger similar, but milder symptoms. It takes a lot more sugar and even more non-gluten grains to trigger the skin issues.

3. My own sweat. If I'm sweating, either from exercise or the heat, I will break out, or experience a red, puffy rash if I don't wash my face as soon after sweating as possible. I use zinc pyrithione (Head & Shoulders) as my only body, hand, and face soap (my dermatologist gave me that tip - along with using zinc oxide cream for mild flares of any skin issue).

Desitin Creamy and for my face, Clear Zinc are my favorites. Yeah diaper rash cream, but it works wonders.

4. Hormones. Not all hormonal changes come from the reproductive system. I am perimenopausal, and am on birth control. I had extremely severe pms/toms as a teen. Birth control helps, but for the past year, even with the bc, I'm having more and more issues. The pms is crossing into pmdd territory with severe pain, heavy bleeding, skin issues, irrational rage... It's like going through puberty all over again.

Remedies and preventatives for the skin issues

1. Zinc in the form of zinc pyrithione shampoo and zinc oxide (as already mentioned). Zinc compounds have antimicrobial properties, and can help fight fungal, bacterial, and viral infections. A zinc supplement may also help. I do take a zinc supplement, but not daily, because zinc can be toxic if taken in excess. I usually take a zinc capsule about once a week.

2. Vitamin D supplement. Vitamin D is actually a hormone, so this may be why it helps.

3. Fish oil supplement. Fish oil is an antiinflammatory. NSAIDs may also help, but they have potential side effects (for me, they trigger or aggravate my asthma).

4. Washing my face more frequently, or at least rinsing.

5. Prescription steroid cream for bad flares. Steroid creams can cause thinning of the skin with chronic use, so zinc is my first line of defense and only as a last resort do I bring out the big guns, my steroid (mometasone).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #3  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Could be sweat. I'll try the Head and Shoulders.

Thanks.

Cathy
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote