Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat July 22 - July 28

BillBlueEyes
07-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Cheers to Jen (CherryPie99) for fastest female in her 10K race!!! That's a nifty show.

We suffered all week in temperatures that kissed 100 degrees F. I wilted like the plants in DW's garden. That heat spell has just now broken; I can feel the cool air blowing in my window as I type. Hope to get out and do a serious aerobic walk and enjoy it.

Mudpie
07-22-2013, 07:44 AM
:cheer: Jen for a great race!

Our heat :hot: wave of 5 days broke on Saturday Bill. It was so nice to go outside yesterday and be able to breathe and move around without sweating profusely :cool:. I hope the rain that happened Friday cooled down the sand enough at the beach that the dogs can walk on it in comfort.

Good week all! I'm hoping to get house keys today and am satrting the pet sit tonite so I'll be juggling 3 houses for 2 weeks. I'm so glad all of this will end at the end of October.

Dagmar :dance:

silverbirch
07-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Great race, Jen.

About to have lunch and then go off to do our July butterfly survey of a sq km. The weather will probably break about tea-time (clouds are massing over the mountains) and then we're away, so this is the last chance to do July's survey. We'll do the same square in August.

Have done my floor exercises.

Have a good week, everyone.

WardHog
07-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Good morning! We are going up to PA on Friday; I hope it's not terribly hot as my BIL does not have air conditioning. Also I am hoping to not let the trip derail my eating and exercise too badly. I already have my travel pass for the gym so it should not be an issue. I find hotel breakfast buffets a bit of a minefield, though.

ICUwishing
07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
:woohoo: Jen! Shoot, that's the time I expect from myself in a 5K! ;) You rock, woman!

Though I had stars in my eyes about how productive I was going to be this weekend, the broken heatwave changed my plans. I spent plenty of hours outside, two of them bobbing around in a lake with a good friend, and about 4 yesterday with another good friend on my patio. Needless to say, my project agenda didn't advance. Oh well. Though I'm a bit in the hole to kick off the week, I think it was well worth it. Even the sunburned nose. :D

bargoo
07-22-2013, 09:42 AM
I was down a little today even with steroids. I am trying to keep my calories up but Allison is right food just has an off taste with radiation. I got some Ensure and Boost for the protein. Ensure is nasty, double nasty, Boost is only slightly better.

alinnell
07-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Congrats, Jen!!

Sorry your taste buds are suffering bargoo. Hopefully it won't last long.

Enjoy your trip, Wardhog!

Sounds like a relaxing weekend, Becky.

Our mountain fire is close to containment. They were predicting it'd be fully contained by Friday, but moved it up to Wednesday due to a heavy rainfall on Sunday morning. We even got rain in the valley which was a nice change of pace.

We leave this afternoon on our trip, so you may not hear from me much over the next two weeks. Can't even say I'll keep up on everything going on here! But DH is determined to keep up his exercising while on the trip, so my workout clothes are packed. Perhaps this will be the impetus to get me back into a regular workout myself.

Mudpie
07-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Congrats, Jen!!

Sorry your taste buds are suffering bargoo. Hopefully it won't last long.

Enjoy your trip, Wardhog!

Sounds like a relaxing weekend, Becky.

Our mountain fire is close to containment. They were predicting it'd be fully contained by Friday, but moved it up to Wednesday due to a heavy rainfall on Sunday morning. We even got rain in the valley which was a nice change of pace.

We leave this afternoon on our trip, so you may not hear from me much over the next two weeks. Can't even say I'll keep up on everything going on here! But DH is determined to keep up his exercising while on the trip, so my workout clothes are packed. Perhaps this will be the impetus to get me back into a regular workout myself.

Have fun Allison! :D

krampus
07-22-2013, 12:16 PM
I hear cicadas from my office window - not sure how long they've been there as I have had the window shut (for A/C) up until today! This brings me back to Japanese summers, which can only be described as "oppressive" with millions of deafening cicadas, enormous centipedes and spiders, and day-in, day-out unrelenting humid heat.

Had a very "wahhh I don't WANT to eat healthy" weekend but kept it under control. Waking up and hitting the gym helped this morning, and BF and I are planning to play tennis after work tonight. I spent the weekend at my parents' house doing lots of shopping for my new place. We are moving stuff down gradually in laundry baskets, so actual Moving Day (July 31/Aug 1) should be manageable.

Jen - what a great time!!! You fast runners amaze me. My supervisor from an old job posted about running her slowest 5K of the year at 21:03. Seriously.

Allison - happy travels and hope the fire business stays put.

Dagmar - was happy to read of your kayak day with DH. 3 houses, oh my...

bargoo - glad your ordeal with radiation is not also plagued with unfavorable scale readings.

Becky - that weekend sounds much nicer than working on projects :P

WardHog - enjoy PA!

silver - may you find multitudes of butterflies!

iriswhispers
07-22-2013, 02:49 PM
WardHog, where in PA are you going? I grew up in Lancaster!

Jen, awesome race! I've run a hand full of 5k/10k races and a half marathon, but for me "run" means jog. Slowly.

My mother and I spent most of last week visiting my brother in South Carolina - VERY hot but according to the weather channel it may have been even hotter back in the northeast! No comment on our eating on the trip...

JayEll
07-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Bargoo, Ensure saved my friend from having to have a feeding tube put into her stomach through her abdominal wall. It was about the only thing she could get down after a point. My attitude toward Ensure has now changed forever. I am so grateful that someone came up with that formula.

Hang in there, Bargoo. I'm rooting for you.

Jay

Mudpie
07-22-2013, 04:01 PM
KEYS! We have keys!

Dagmar :dance: :dancer: :cheer:

BillBlueEyes
07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
WOOT WOOT WOOT !!!

bargoo
07-22-2013, 09:02 PM
KEYS! We have keys!

Dagmar :dance: :dancer: :cheer:

Congratulations !!

bargoo
07-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Bargoo, Ensure saved my friend from having to have a feeding tube put into her stomach through her abdominal wall. It was about the only thing she could get down after a point. My attitude toward Ensure has now changed forever. I am so grateful that someone came up with that formula.

Hang in there, Bargoo. I'm rooting for you.

Jay
Oh! I know but I don't have to like it ! Many people live on Boost, too. We are fortunate to have these things to help us.

Thanks for your encouragent .

bargoo
07-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Today is my brother's birthday. I told him while I am proud to be his sister I do think it is a bit much to have the Future King of England born on his birthday.

CherryPie99
07-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments about my 10K! I don't think of myself as a fast runner - I don't do speedwork and typically don't try to go fast. I did push myself this race, though, just to see what I could do.

Allison, I never really "got it" about warm winds and wildfires because in this area, wind = cold. But last week in the weird weather I was running and there was a tremendously strong and warm wind like I have never experienced. It was bizarre and it helped me understand how these fires spead. Hopefully they have it contained now.

Becky - sounds TOTALLY worth blowing the "to do" list off!!

Silverbirch - how did you make out? Last year we made our annual trip to the wildlife refuge and there were a TON of butterflies but we saw hardly ANY unusual birds. This year,the exact opposite - unusual birds galore and not a butterfly to be seen!!!

Bargoo - you are in my thoughts daily...wish I could offer more..

Dagmar - Picture me giving you a huge, uncomfortably long hug of excitement. I hope this new adventure opens up a whole new wonderful chapter in your life!!!

Jen

saef
07-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Checking in from my second night in a motel room in the Berkshires to say, see Jen run, run Jen run. When you were at your highest weight did you ever imagine you'd do that??!!

I was running up Route 7 in the Berkshires, unfortunately downhill first and then, after 2.5 miles, uphill. Ended up walking at the end. How do you all do this? I can climb that Stairmaster, I can do spin class with high resistance, but running is really hard.

ICUwishing
07-23-2013, 08:25 AM
saef, I completely agree with you - running IS hard! There has never been a point in my life, even as a kid, where I just ran without thinking, "gee, this kinda sucks." Biking - no biggie, swimming - bring it on ... heck, I would rather attempt a 3 mile swim right this minute than I would a 3 mile run. Real runners amaze me; the Kenyans who show up to this 10 mile race and finish it in about 45 minutes look like they are floating, and finish like they could do another 20 miles without batting an eye. Not me!

Dagmar, I am very much looking forward to virtually watching your nest-feathering endeavors. :) Congratulations on getting the keys!

Nothing exciting or different going on this week for me. I need to make a number of social-type phone calls that are backed up in the queue. I make the mistake of trying to wait until I know I have undisturbed time to truly enjoy the calls, and that results in my being consistently tardy in returning them. I am a crappy multi-tasker, and my phone is (gasp) hardwired. So, it means sitting at the dining room desk and devoting my full attention to my call for however long it takes. Ah, balancing acts ... :dizzy:

CherryPie99
07-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Checking in from my second night in a motel room in the Berkshires to say, see Jen run, run Jen run. When you were at your highest weight did you ever imagine you'd do that??!!

I was running up Route 7 in the Berkshires, unfortunately downhill first and then, after 2.5 miles, uphill. Ended up walking at the end. How do you all do this? I can climb that Stairmaster, I can do spin class with high resistance, but running is really hard.

Are you kidding? Forget about my highest weight - May of 2011 - after I had lost about 140 pounds - was when I ran my first mile outside. It took me 16 minutes.

I said on my blog that there is NOTHING in my history that indicates that I should be able to run at all, let alone take first place in a 10K!

I don't like running hills, so I sympathize, saef! DH would run hills all day long! Me, a long flat stretch, please!!

Jen

krampus
07-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Chiming in - hills are the worst. I just...don't do hills training, ever. For me putting the treadmill at a 1.5 incline is akin to torture.

iriswhispers
07-23-2013, 12:47 PM
haha, no hills for me either - running or biking!

silverbirch
07-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Jen, it went well, thanks. This was a so far unsurveyed square kilometre with a variety of habitats (hedges, grazing, potato field, road verge, a few ponds, outskirts of a town). It was 26*C, 20% sunshine, SW wind (3 on Beaufort scale). We did two transects and recorded 7 species and 32 individuals. It's part of a British survey which is building up the pattern of butterfly distribution. Also those of moths, dragonflies, damselflies etc. A good time was had by all (that's the DB and me), despite a lot of stinging nettles and some biting insects. We'll resurvey in August.

And it turned out our neighbour was surveying the plants of a salt marsh yesterday! #AllNaturalistsHere

Mudpie
07-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Fly by - crazy week with 3 houses running. Am watering #1 and going to go open windows @ #2 now - arctic conditions here with a north wind blowing strongly will air out the paint and mold smells.

Good week all!

Dagmar :crazy: :dance:

Shannon in ATL
07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Woo Jen! Great run!

ChrisMohr
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Funny, I'm a hill addict! I've climbed 1000 mountains, and in Denver Karen and I ride our bikes up a 900-foot ascent five times a week (to Mt Carbon and back, 7.6 miles each way from our front door). Now that we're in the mountains most of the summer, 2000-5000' hiking ascents are common, and bike rides with 1600-4200' ascents are almost daily occurrences.

What's torture for me is running. Kudos to all of you who are good at that. But I love biking and hiking. And the discipline of it is easy because I love exercising with Karen!

As for maintenance, I have been fighting and fighting. Still no weight loss but no gain either. However, a couple days ago I gave myself some time to really experience my depression over the loss of my wedding chapel business. This depression has been a heavy weight on me all the time, and it's almost impossible for me to lose weight as long as I am in this funk. But as I went deep into the feelings of loss, I heard this quiet little voice almost whispering in my ear "It's all OK, you're going to be fine, you have no idea how OK everything is," etc). Not those literal words, but more a deep feeling of reassurance, peace, surrender to what is, etc. Connecting that deeply, my craving for sweets and chocolate have gone way down for now at least, and I have chosen to use this gift to cut back on the sweets and not use them to numb out...

saef
07-25-2013, 11:49 AM
On the sixth day of my vacation, I actually slept in just a few minutes past 6 AM. I've got a session at a day spa planned, and it's a sunny but cool day in Upstate NY. This day may turn out to be pretty okay, if I handle it carefully.

These summer vacation days are so precious and few that I find it hard to relax into them. I worry I'll "waste" them in some way.

traveling michele
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Chris-- I'm sure you're going through all the phases of grief. Hopefully, you have experienced the worst. How is your wife doing with the loss?

Saef-- I'm glad you're on vacation! I must have missed that you were going! Are you by yourself or with your mom?

I have to share what my doctor told me yesterday at my physical as you all will "get" it. We see a husband and wife doctor team and we all prefer the husband-- much better bedside manner-- takes the time to ask about the family, etc. However, I had my annual appointment with the wife-- she is very matter of fact and blunt. I talked to her about my weight gain-- according to them I had gained 4 pounds since my last visit. She said-- "Well, you're still okay, but I wouldn't gain any more if I was you." Really?!? Great advice! Then she preceded to talk about where I was on the BMI scale and again told me not to gain any more weight. She said I'm gaining due to my age and to cut down on carbs. That was her great advice. I already barely eat carbs. I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing the husband next year!

My weight was down a pound today. I feel like calling her and telling her that thanks to her great advice I'm already losing weight!

Shannon in ATL
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM
LOL at your doctor story, Michele. :)

Enjoy your spa day, Saef. I get the fear of wasting a vacation day - I tend to then overschedule everything and feel like I had no vacation when I get back.

krampus
07-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Jeez. I feel nauseated thinking about how much $ she makes for spending 15 minutes with patients telling them stuff they could just look up on the internet and learn more about.

CherryPie99
07-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Chris - I have such deep admiration for anyone that has the courage to run their own business. I have a fantasy to own my own business, but I don't have either the courage or drive to go for it. I can't imagine how personally devastating this is - but I think you're little voice is right - everything is going to be okay.

Saef - I hope that you're enjoying the heck out of your vacation! You are such a hard worker and you deserve some down time - enjoy your spa day!!

I find myself in a weird position. I weighed in this morning at 115.7. That is the lowest I have ever been (except artificially after a long run) and is at my bottom red line. Since I don't know what I have done to get here, I don't know whether to eat more or what. The thought of doing that makes me happy and terrified.

Jen

traveling michele
07-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Jen-- If I were you, I wouldn't necessarily eat any extra yet. See what happens over the next few days and if you continue to drop, then slowly add a little more. A couple of years ago I was a tad lower than I wanted to be. That is a distant memory now as I've gained quite a bit since then. As a maintainer you will have ups and downs weight wise. Now I'd love to see 125 on the scale (my low weight was 115 for maybe one day!)....

I agree about having my own business. My dh has always fantasized about us owning a business and I always try to dissuade him because I'm terrified of it.

neurodoc
07-25-2013, 08:54 PM
FWIW, I'm a doctor, and I can tell you that we get next to no training on weight loss, weight maintenance, metabolism as it relates to weight, or exercise. What little we get is disease-oriented, not health-optimization oriented. What we tell you in the office is basically the limit of our knowledge on this matter if we haven't done some additional self-study and training. The exception would be the rare physician who is an M.D.-PhD with research knowledge in this area (they tend to be endocrinologists, by the way). And dieticians, who know a lot about healthy eating, are trained to address medical/health conditions like diabetes, NOT vanity weight issues. Losing 100 pounds when you're morbidly obese, (and still being 50 pounds overweight when you're done) requires a much less stringent approach to eating than getting off the last 10. If you talk to a dietician about wanting to be at a BMI of 19 instead of 22, they'll roll their eyes and send you packing. No, the only group of professionals who "get" it about wanting to be in your best shape possible are some Sports Medicine physicians, and the army of personal trainers out there (some with great education and creds, others with none so do your research carefully).

saef
07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Oh, wow, that spa day ... well, the microdermabrasion was a bit of a letdown, as it felt as though my skin were being vacuumed, bit by bit. I imagined the ladies who come in to clean the corporate headquarters in CT, their long slow almost meditative strokes over the lobby carpeting as they chat with one another in Spanish, and my own embarrassment at being in their way & delaying their getting their jobs done when they want to empty my cubicle wastebasket. My skin felt well-suctioned but not particularly clean afterward.

But then the massage was another story ... it was epic ... if anyone's in the Syracuse area, PM me and I'll give you the name of the day spa & the full name of the masseuse who works there, Tom, as he is fantastic and deserves to have people lined up for him. Yeah, it's a guy, a gruff-voiced, husky guy with strawberry blond hair, like the guy on the side of the Brawny Paper Towel package. Since my chest muscles were sore from benching, and I asked him to work on that, he came awfully close to, um, what can I say, forbidden zones, but it felt great, like I was being stretched by a trainer as well as massaged. I felt like an Olympic-caliber athlete who had incorporated massages into her training regimen. He was extraordinarily thorough, even had me sit up on the table to work more on my left shoulder blade. I left him a hefty tip, which he deserved.

Will have to visit my mother again, just to book another such massage.

Wow. Just wow.

Shannon in ATL
07-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Saef, that massage sounds lovely. :)

CherryPie99
07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Michele - you are of course right about not increasing my calories - I got a little excited there for a minute. Please don't take this as any disrespect whatsoever, but at your height, you must have been reaaalllly thin at 115?

saef - I have never had a massage (by a professional, anyway). Your description was very vivid - it made me both a little skeevish and a little jealous at the same time LOL

I feel like I am constantly taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back in the mental part of this journey. I've been doing pretty well at giving myself some freedom from my rigidness lately. And then today was a day that I was "supposed to" run. I packed my lunch and brought all my running clothing. Around 11AM received a call from a woman who is the outreach coordinator for a rehab center that I use that was up here for the day and she asked me to take me to lunch. It was an excellent networking opportunity.

So I said yes and then was filled with anxiety because we were going to a non-chain lcoal bistro and I couldn't find a menu online let alone see calories counts. I went to lunch with her, anyway. I even made the good choice to have a grilled chicken and spinach salad (with dried cranberries, mandarin oranges, pecans and goat cheese) instead of what looked like an EXTREMELY yummy panini which was served with chips.

I got back to the office and decided to head out for a walk. I just returned from a 4 mile power walk. But I am sitting here RACKED with guilt for walking 4 miles instead of running 7. AND - weirdly enough - I feel guilty about the lunch I brought in sitting there uneaten in my mini fridge.

I mean how INSANE is that? I feel like I'll never be "normal".

Jen

ICUwishing
07-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Saef, once again you've nailed the description. Having a massage just to feel good is one thing, and having a massage to release and loosen unhappy muscles is quite another. The release, relief, and relaxation are, um, nah. I won't say it. ;)

Jen, congrats on the happy scale reading! Methinks it's like Michele said - when you're on plan and the scale is up, it's best to just stay on plan. Seems like the other side of it would be true as well. We always tell the folks working on losses to give any changes at least 3 weeks to manifest fully; I'd think that would apply here as well. Doesn't mean you can't revel in it a bit!

Chris, I'm glad you've achieved a new level of peace with the business situation. Sometimes "rolling around in it like a dog on a dead thing" can bring about all sorts of transformations.

Nothing new to report here - summer is grinding away and I can see Labor Day on the horizon. Ack!

traveling michele
07-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Jen.... Yes I was thin at that weight but I only saw it on the scale for one day! My happy weight is 118-120 but I haven't been there in months.

I know what you mean about guilt. Dd and I are going to a painting class tonight and are planning on having pizza first. I've never been but I know they are thin slices and they sell by the slice. I went to my planned bikram this morning and was planning on meeting a friend for a hike (5 miles plus). I figured the exercise would offset the pizza (I'm planning on two slices of some veggie type). My friend flaked so now I'm worried that the pizza will spike my weight. Even though I did bikram I'm already feeling guilty!

Dh comes back again from China tomorrow. He's already planning on cooking a yummy dinner tomorrow and I always have trouble with portion control when he cooks.

silverbirch
07-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to add to my shopping story (on summer thread). The DB and I went to the library and he decided to borrow Carl Hiaasen's Chomp again. Such a funny book. I'd forgotten quite how hilairious it is. I'm sure you'll know it, Michele! I can't remember whether roadkill's in this one but it certainly is in some of his others. I don't remember seeing that discussed as a food source on 3FC ...

saef
07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Becky! I didn't know that these existed!

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/46247.htm?color=210

I have shorted out at least 2 iPods probably from my copious sweat, so this is a revelation.

ICUwishing
07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
saef, I just read a review of waterproof mp3 players and this one does come out on top consistently. It could be a terrific answer to heavy sweating - a gadget designed to foil ocean water corrosives should be able to handle being drenched in sweat! :)