Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Default Antibiotics and weight gain

I am fighting a sinus infection and 2 ear infections and am on antibiotics and cough meds. I have gained 15 pounds in 5 days. Do you think it is the meds? I also notice that I have no desire to drink anything and am rarely peeing.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #2  

Sounds like you are retaining water.
I've learned to stay off the scale whenever I have inflammation (illness, injury, excessive stress) because water weight shows up on the scale quickly. The good thing is that if you're staying OP, you KNOW it is not fat so just relax and stay off the scale.
Water weight has a tendency to "whoosh" off when it is ready to go.

In the meantime, you MUST push fluids. Try some herbal tea, which can be very soothing.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

Thanks Lisa!

I was just completely shocked when a pair of pants I wore 2 weeks ago barely fit, so I got on the scale just to see. Was definitely not expecting to see that much of a jump.

Definitely pushing the herbal tea today to get more fluids down. I have to remember that with the health issues I have, I am much more sensitive to any change in my diet or routine. The infections have thrown me into a full blown rheuatiod athritis and fibromyalgia flare up.

I must remember my body is not a machine.

Thanks!
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #4  

I have more sensitivities than I prefer, as well. We will all "get there" so long as we don't let speed or lack of it discourage us.
I simply cannot compare my weight loss journey to that of others.

Last edited by lisa32989; 07-16-2013 at 11:28 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/148/160

Height: 5'7"

Kat: I know how you are feeling: I had autoimmune stuff come up in November and the medication I was put on caused me to puff up like a blow fish and it really put me in a bad place mentally. #1 listed side effect of the other med: weight gain Having clothes not zip while staying 100% on plan started making me crazy.

I stuck it out: my body adjusted to the meds and the water retention went away. I'm now at goal and still dealing with the autoimmune stuff but it is under control. I had even considered delaying treatment until I lost all the weight: looking back - I'm glad that's not what I chose.

Just remember: this is temporary: it too shall pass. If you stay on plan the weight will go away. Its only water.
I'm sorry you are going through this and that it has caused other heath issues to act up too.
onmyway1014 is offline   Reply With Quote