Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #1  

Default Ketosis symptoms with urine

Hi guys this may be tmi but I just want to see what I can do to fix it or what I'm doing wrong. I'm closing out my 3rd week on this diet and the last couple of days I've had the real strong urine smell from ketosis and rash like symptoms. Am I not drinking enough water potentially? Or eating too much protein potentially? I'm not feeling too well. I feel a bit weighed down with acid. Any advice would be appreciated.
emberleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #2  

the urine smell will pass (or maybe i do not notice it as much YEEP!)....the rash i can not speak to, however, could be just the stress your body is going through while it adjusts, OR it could be your sensitive to something in the IP packets, OR it could be not related at all.

a few questions...

how much water are you drinking?

where is the rash? all over, certain places? does anything make it go away, or is it always there?

have you ever had your Blood sugar tested? if so, how long ago?

describe the "not feeling too well"....while your body is adjusting you will feel like poop but its kinda certain symptoms...so what are yours?
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #3  

It varies, I don't always drink the required water. That's probably the toughest adjustment. I'm hoping that's what it is. I have read that some people can get pretty irritated by the ketones in your nether regions because it creates acetones. Or something like that. Kind of like a babies rash I suppose in your urethra. Just seems like my kidneys are irritated too. So it must be that I have to do a better job flushing. However, I also read that it can happen to those in ketosis that eat too much protein. So, really I was just wanting to feel out other people's experiences. I tried this diet for 6 weeks about a year ago and didn't have this issue. So, who knows, maybe it's just random. I'll watch my water and vit intake the next few days and see if it changes.

I'll be at the gyno next week anyways so they can test my sugar I'm sure. And by not feel too well, just the kidneys and urethra issue with upset tummy. It's not that I have a rash on the outside, just irritated on the inside basically. I've already past the blah stage. That was day 2-3. Haha terrible!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 303/144.8/145

Height: 5'4"

Drinking all the required water is a must. I know when I was struggling with getting all the water in, it would be slightly painful, almost as if I had an infection. Since you have an appt. have them check for that too just to be sure.

I often have strong smelling urine first thing in the morning, especially if I don't drink much before bed. One of the signs I consistently have while in ketosis is that my urine is cloudy. Once I start drinking my water for the day, I don't notice it.

Hope you get some relief soon....
Breakofday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #5  

I've done some more reading and it seems low carb diets can lead to UTI for some. That's what it's starting to feel like. I'd say I was averaging 5 glasses a day rather than 8. Not today! Awe well, thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/159.3/135

Height: 5'2

I've been reading the posts on ketosis and although I believe I've reached it (I started the diet Monday & noticed symptoms Thursday or Friday) I don't notice the weird mutineer smell. I DO feel like my mouth is constantly dry and my lips are so chapped from licking them. Maybe a slight weird taste with bad breath but mostly an unbearably dry mouth. Did anyone else have these symptoms?

Emberleo I hope you find out all is well.

Last edited by BusyMamma; 07-13-2013 at 11:29 PM.
BusyMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #7  

Hey BusyMamma..

yah i had those and more symptoms....the bad breath i took care of xyla mints and binaca breath spray (both sugar free with sugar alcohols...found them on amazon.com)....

the dry mouth and lips could be from not getting enough water in.....my coach did say that the ip foods would have a diuretic effect...so maybe try added one more water or tea in your day and see if that helps!
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMamma View Post
I've been reading the posts on ketosis and although I believe I've reached it (I started the diet Monday & noticed symptoms Thursday or Friday) I don't notice the weird mutineer smell. I DO feel like my mouth is constantly dry and my lips are so chapped from licking them. Maybe a slight weird taste with bad breath but mostly an unbearably dry mouth. Did anyone else have these symptoms?
Welcome to ketosis!
Lemon water helped my mouth. I always keep a lip balm in my pocket. Do your teeth feel fuzzy? That was fun for a while too
At least with the dry mouth I was never concerned about getting in enough water!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/159.3/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Welcome to ketosis!
Lemon water helped my mouth. I always keep a lip balm in my pocket. Do your teeth feel fuzzy? That was fun for a while too
At least with the dry mouth I was never concerned about getting in enough water!
Hi Lisa & everyone.

I feel more like I'm on speed. Lol I know sounds bad & the only reason I can make that comparison is I lost a lot of weight on the prescription phentrimene after a few years ago and kept it off; not the old redux/phen-phen. Just the straight phentrimine that is still legal by prescripion. Gave me horribly dry mouth and I felt like my brain was going a mile-a-minute. As well as a little heart-rate increase & shaky. That is how I'm feeling now.........kinds weird I guess!

Haven't noticed a fuzzy teeth feeling, though.
BusyMamma is offline   Reply With Quote