Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Default Holiday in 4 weeks! Help needed please!

Hello!
I'm hoping to lose about 20 pounds and get fit in the next few months. However, I desperately would love to lose as much of that as I can in the next 4 weeks as I'm going to be in a bikini on holiday by then and I'm dreading it!

So I was thinking of calorie counting using the "Fitness pal" app, making sure my fat is below 20g and my calories about 1200kcal.

My exercise would be a fitness DVD most days, which does get me sweaty and lasts about 30-40 mins. I have also been told to do 30 sit ups, 30 leg lifts and 30 squats a day. I also want to do something with my arms as they're mahoosive and floppy - any ideas?

I would like to start the C25K, although the start-date depends on when I can sign up to the gym, as I'm not a huge fan of public humiliation. :P

So basically I'm just after your advice, as you're all experts in this field compared to me! What's the deal with carbs? Should I stay well clear? Or does it not matter as long as I'm below 1200 calories?

And also... would I get much better results if I did something a little more short-term and extreme like... the special K diet (2 bowls of cereal plus a well balanced meal a day)? Because although I would prefer something more manageable and long term, I am also very self-conscious and dreading the prospect of being in a bikini in 4 weeks! So I am tempted!

Thanks!!

Last edited by cantgetenoughchoc; 06-12-2013 at 07:47 PM.
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

Good luck!! You can totally see movement on the scale in four weeks!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #3  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm kinda confused - do you want to lose 20 lbs in 4 weeks or 20 lbs altogether and just want to make a good go of it within 4 weeks?

I always recommend this for a guide to food: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/index.aspx No carbs are not the devil if you eat the right kind of carbs!

Fitness DVDs are great, doing weights will help with your arms. Jillian Michaels fitness DVDs tend to focus on weights so you might want to check her out if you haven't already.

If you want to do a crash diet (and they're called that for a reason!) then you probably will lose a lot of weight. But it's damaging your health all the sake of vanity. If you don't look great in a bikini this time, so what? You will one day if you lose weight the healthy way. Don't be so flustered over being in a bikini. Wear a tankini if you're paranoid, they can look just as good as bikinis and cover up any areas you don't want hanging out.

Based on your height and your weight you don't seem to be overweight at all. Your BMI suggests that you're on the upper end of a healthy weight. I'm overweight and I would wear a bikini - sure I don't look thin and healthy but it's not a big deal. Just be confident with what you've got and it won't matter what your weight is.

But a bikini body is made in the kitchen complimented by exercise. Don't think you can just crunch your way to a six pack - you need to get a balanced diet - not just eat cereal twice a day!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Riestrella; 06-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 129/127.5/112

Height: 5'0.5" (It matters!)

Thank you! I'll check out that website tomorrow morning at a more acceptable hour! :P

Yea I want to lose 20lb in total but want to lose as much as I can before then. I know there's no way I can lose 20lb in a month ha ha. I WISH!

Yea, I agree. As much as I'd love to lose LOADS of weight in the next 4 weeks, I think if I crash dieted I'd only put it straight back on and I'd be in the same position as now in 5 weeks time. So I think I'll just try and exercise and watch my calorie intake, and see what happens. Honestly, I'm not finding the diet that hard. I'm counting my calories, having 3 meals mainly consisting of salad and veg, and maybe a peice of fruit for a snack, and I'm actually struggling to get over 800 calories! So that website will hopefully help me add nutritious calories, because I don't want to undereat and go into starvation mode!

Thanks again for the advice! Most of my friends are already skinny (cows :P) so this forum is really helpful for all my diet-related questions!
cantgetenoughchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #5  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Keep up with the salad and veg, but you do need protein in there. Chicken, turkey and fish are a great source of protein and you will need it if you're working out consistently. It will also bump up your calories for the day! Win, win. Whole grain bread with peanut butter is a great post-workout snack too. There are lots of ways to include grains and protein into your diet in a healthy way.

I know how you feel, my friends too are all thin and have been for a long time, but it really is important not to compare yourself to others. I realised that my friends all had their hang ups about their bodies, even though I don't see anything wrong with them. So focus on YOU and how you look to yourself. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or what other people look like in comparison. It's a hard skill to master and it's still something I can struggle with but it is very important.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote