Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #1  

Default Sweat an indicator? (treadmill vs walking)

Well... sigh.
Since my fibromyalgia and probably RA started really acting up i have had to stop my nightly under the stars very brisk hour long walk up and down my dead end road (part of which is a hill and i try to do HIIT walking up it) because my knee joints are flaring badly and walking back down the hill just wasn't good

So i'm back to the treadmill. i am only able to do 1/2 hour on it and that's all i've got! i cannot run or jog, obviously, because of my joints but i walk as fast as my little legs will get me going plus i pump my arms hard. It's too bad because i ADORED outdoor walking and it helped me keep in maintenance however the weird thing is...
i am only able to do 1/2 hr going all out (for me) on the treadmill and i sweat like a pig, i'm covered in sweat (do pigs sweat?!) but when i did my hour long walk outside and as brisk as i possibly could, i did not sweat like that nor would i konk out at 1/2 hour like the treadmill.

i know this is imposs. to answer w/out one of those calorie burn measuring thingies (what is is? a podometer or something??) but i'm wondering if i should just quit fretting about if i'm burning enough cals on the treadmill like i used to with my hour long walk? I'm going to HAVE TO quit fretting because i just cannot do it now but it would be nice to at least feel that i'm not going to go backward.

i tell you what, i envy everyone that can walk hard and long distances, let alone, jog, run, do squats, etc. etc. i'm mourning
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #2  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Hi! Most treadmills have a calorie indicator, although I take it yours doesn't have one. My treadmill does....so, if it helps, when I walk on my treadmill for 30 minutes, I typically burn about 170 calories (so it says). I walk at speeds between 3mph and 4mph, likely averaging 3.5mph over the 30 minutes. So, if you're walking about the same speed, 170 would be a good guestimate. If you're walking more quickly, you could probably up that to 200 or so.

Also, I too can't run or jog because of my knees, but another member here gave me a great suggestion, and that was to buy a mini exercise trampoline. I can jog on it...doesn't bother my knees at all, because the "springiness" absorbs all of the shock. You can get them at Wal-Mart (I think they're around $50-$60 in the US), and they come with a little "monitor" at the side that also estimates your calories burn when you're jogging on them. Perhaps you might enjoy that!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #3  

Thanks! Sorry you're having knee problems also! i don't care if i ever jog or run but i surely would like to have my brisk walking back! i'm only 51 and my joints feel like they're 80

i'll keep the trampoline in mind
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #4  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Fortunately, I'm fine with brisk walking. I only have issues if I try to run or jog. I think it's just the extra bounce/pressure put on my joints (I'm 55). Still, I know how you feel. My daily walks are the thing I enjoy the most about my exercise. I only use my treadmill on rainy days and in the winter. It's ok, but not as much fun as going outside. Good luck to you!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote