Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #1  

Default Necessary Items For Phase 1

Hi All,
I am starting Phase 1 very soon and I am so excited! I wanted to prepare and was hoping if you could provide me with a list of necessary items other than those mentioned in the Phase 1 food list (such as spices, cookware,ect.). Thank you all in advance. I am so excited to take this journey with you and I am so grateful for the tremendous amount of information on this site!
trueblue101357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

You need a really good nonstick pan. If you have a crummy one - you know the cheap thin ones that stick in the middle, or one that's not cheap but has seen better days - do yourself favor and splurge on a GOOD one. You will thank me when you are making your omelettes and pancakes!!! Also a set of dry measuring cups and measuring spoons plus a liquid measure cup. You also NEED a food scale. Weight does not convert to volume, so meats must be WEIGHED BEFORE COOKING and veggies need to be MEASURED in your dry measure cups. A salad spinner will also come in handy!!

As for spices. I use nutmeg on my vanilla pudding and shake. Cinnamon is helpful too. Vanilla extract and rum extract are a must for me but that's a matter of personal taste. Look for spice and dry rub mixtures that have NO added sugar. I have found a Jamaican Curry blend, a Greek grilling blend and a Creole seasoning and they all do amazing thing to a chicken breast. Lots of people will suggest you stock up on WF products, but I think they are awful for the most part - the only ones I keep and use are the barbecue sauce and pancake syrup, though the new caramel syrup has been getting rave reviews. I avoid using them buy using my extracts. Buy a good apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs) and a bottle of EVO. And PAM - I have the olive oil one, the butter flavored AND the one to use on the grill. Lower fat meats have a tendency to STICK!!!

Best of luck - I'm still new here but you will see, you will learn quick!!!

Last edited by SeattleNP; 05-30-2013 at 09:59 PM.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #3  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Ditto all of the above. Plus Ziploc bags in gallon and quart sizes. I wash my lettuce and store it in a big gallon bag, then cut an assortment of veggies and put them in quart size bags. Every morning, when I'm making my lunch to take to work, I grab all of the ziplocs and pick out what I want that day. Makes it so easy!
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #4  
2nd time at IP 6/8/14

S/C/G: 265/173/135-140

Height: 5'6"

Congrats! I'm also new I started on 5/20 but so far I have found that a steamer may be helpful to get variety in your veggies. I also found it helpful to portion out my veggies for the next day. I'm not sure if they give everyone a blender bottle but those are mighty handy! I got one at walmart as well as the one that the clinic gave me.

Oh and packets of splenda or stevia are helpful. I keep a box of them in my office so when i'm at work and have one of my packets that may need to be sweetened it's there.

I have also found some people talking about having a survival stash, single servings of Walden Farms dressings, an extra IP packet and some other things that they carry with them. I think I need to do this!

Good luck!! And I'm excited to hear about your journey! Just remember that after 3 days your body uses up its carb storage so for the most part the first week is horrible, you crave carbs! Just keep telling yourself that it's just your body looking for cheap fuel aka carbs!
Crystalsgettingfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for starting this, I am starting June 10th and need all the tips I can get!
Snowbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #6  

Height: 6'

The good pan is a must. I can't believe how much easier it is with a good, non-stick pan. Such a timesaver.
tallgirl231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7  
2nd time at IP 6/8/14

S/C/G: 265/173/135-140

Height: 5'6"

does anyone know if those orgreenic pans actually work?
Crystalsgettingfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #8  

Things I've purchased since starting IP
Mandolin
New cookie sheets
Nonstick muffin pan
Magic bullet
2 tervis tumblers (to take my breakfast smoothie to work...it make a LOT!)
More food storage containers

Things I already had that I use frequently
Hand grater
Stick blender
Vitamix
George foreman
Kitchen aid mixer
Pyrex Measuring cups: 1c, 2c, 4c, 8c
Crock pot
Food scale

Something I gave away that I "got back"
Food dehydrator (for kale and zucchini chips)

Stuff I buy frequently
Parchment paper
Sweet leaf flavored stevia drops
True lemon/true lime
Great Lakes unflavored gelatin
Mio (I should buy stock, although I've cut way back b/c I think it gives me heartburn)
Egg whites
Garlic infused olive oil
Braggs apple cider vinegar

Last edited by lisa32989; 05-30-2013 at 10:50 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Stevia, ziplock bags, tupperware type containers for lunches to bring to work, nonstick pan spray, olive oil, spices, vinegar, lemons for juice, aluminum foil (I'm lazy and hate cleaning my roasting pans!), eggs or egg whites.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #10  

Thanks for the great advice evreyone. I think I am going to have to make a Target run before I start.

Are those shakers the coached sell for ten bucks any good? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 251/188/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue101357 View Post
Thanks for the great advice evreyone. I think I am going to have to make a Target run before I start.

Are those shakers the coached sell for ten bucks any good? Thanks!
I got mine free from my coach and used it twice a day every day until I got my Ninja. Now that's all I use. However, I started IP in January and didn't want to drink super cold drinks then. Now blending them in my ninja with ice is so yummy!
aliboo723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 7"

I went to GNC and purchased one of their small drink blenders. I use it to mix my drinks with ice for smoothies and "fake" ice cream. I also have a "bullet" to chop up the veggies.If you like the WF syrups, you can mix those with your RTD's to make yummy frosty's. I recommend that you try the WF's and find a few that you like and start experimenting. Don't throw out the one's you don't like but safe them for the future. Your taste buds will change and you may like them later.
A1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #13  

I love my orgreenic pan
jesspinky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Texan View Post
I went to GNC and purchased one of their small drink blenders. I use it to mix my drinks with ice for smoothies and "fake" ice cream. I also have a "bullet" to chop up the veggies.If you like the WF syrups, you can mix those with your RTD's to make yummy frosty's. I recommend that you try the WF's and find a few that you like and start experimenting. Don't throw out the one's you don't like but safe them for the future. Your taste buds will change and you may like them later.
What is "RTD'S"? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Rtd's are the premade shakes, it stands for ready to drink.
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote