Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default simple muscle building exercises?

i am not yet strong enough to do pushups, and have no way to pay for a gym membership. i was wondering what sort of muscle building exercises i can do in the safety of my own home. i ride my bike a bit and walk a bit, but i do that for cardio more than muscle building.

i'm also open to youtube videos to follow.
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #2  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

First, the push-up. If you're not strong enough to do a regular push-up or a modified push-up (on the knees), then try starting with an incline push-up until you build up more strength. Put your hands on something relatively tall and sturdy (your kitchen or bathroom counter will work). Put your feet a few feet away from the counter and do a push-up against the counter. If that's still too hard, you could try starting with a wall push-up (as the name suggests, do a push-up against a wall, standing up). If I'm not making myself very clear, google "incline push-up against wall" (or against kitchen counter) and you'll find more info.

Other good body-weight exercises include squats, lunges, planks (you can google these if you're not familiar). Again, if you can't do these moves, just start with a modified version. For example, I can't do a full lunge (going down all the way), so I start with a modified lunge (going down part way) and over time I've been able to increase how far down I go.

As for video's, I like a series called Valerie Waters A-line (which you can google). You will need a set of dumbbells. Sometimes she uses other equipment, but you can improvise. For example, if she does an exercise leaning against a bench, you can lean against a chair, etc. If she lies on the bench, you can lie on the floor. I like her because most of her exercises are "do-able" by the beginner (although now and again I have to skip one or do a modified version), plus she explains things well.

Hope this helps.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #3  

thank you <3 the inclined pushup sounds like something i should be doing. my legs are pretty strong but my arms are weak as **** xD
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Here's a link to a bunch of bodyweight exercises you can do - you don't need any equipment!

http://pinterest.com/pin/335447872214522816/

You can go through them and do the ones you can, and try to work up to being able to do all of them as a goal
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #5  

thanks everyone! i'm looking forward to building some strength up, i'd like to be able to carry more than one grocery bag at a time xP
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
First, the push-up. If you're not strong enough to do a regular push-up or a modified push-up (on the knees), then try starting with an incline push-up until you build up more strength. Put your hands on something relatively tall and sturdy (your kitchen or bathroom counter will work). Put your feet a few feet away from the counter and do a push-up against the counter. If that's still too hard, you could try starting with a wall push-up (as the name suggests, do a push-up against a wall, standing up). If I'm not making myself very clear, google "incline push-up against wall" (or against kitchen counter) and you'll find more info.

Other good body-weight exercises include squats, lunges, planks (you can google these if you're not familiar). Again, if you can't do these moves, just start with a modified version. For example, I can't do a full lunge (going down all the way), so I start with a modified lunge (going down part way) and over time I've been able to increase how far down I go.

As for video's, I like a series called Valerie Waters A-line (which you can google). You will need a set of dumbbells. Sometimes she uses other equipment, but you can improvise. For example, if she does an exercise leaning against a bench, you can lean against a chair, etc. If she lies on the bench, you can lie on the floor. I like her because most of her exercises are "do-able" by the beginner (although now and again I have to skip one or do a modified version), plus she explains things well.

Hope this helps.
i've started the wall pushups i can only do 5 at a time right now before my arms start to hurt, but if i do 5 every here and there throughout the day it's better than not exercising at all!