General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #1  

Default Vent/rant...finally dumped a toxic person!!!

Lot of typos, bad spelling...you've been warned!!

FOr anyone that hasn't heard me whine about it yet, I grew up with a crappy life. Bad family life, very poor, just crumby all the way around. In my 20s I met my husband who came from an equally crappy life. We moved in together at 19 and took about a decade to get through college since we had to work so it took longer. We had friends in our walk of life, poor etc. But as we were going to school, they were partying, drinking, drugs, having kids.
Two years ago my husband gradutated from school and we went from below poverty line to upper middle class like mearly over night. We bought a house, go on vacations...well that's really it, we still aren't spenders! lol
But also we have happy life. Our marriage is happy, and honestly being financially secure removes a lot of stress from life.

A friend I made about 5 years ago, has gotten weird about everything, which I get because I know what it feels like to be so broke you don't know where your next meal is coming from, and seeing someone buy a new car while you can't eat....well it sucks.

I've been understanding and I don't talk about any of our "things" with her. She has refused to come to our house, as she is living in a 800 sq ft low income apartment and doesn't want to even see where we live. I don't push the issue, I can understand how that might feel. She keeps having kids and doesn't "want" to go to college. She did have a job a few months ago, but lost it after flipping out on a manager and calling him racial slurs! I told her she was lucky she just lost her job, gees...I also found out recently that she abuses prescription pills...She and her husband are miserable, they got married because she got pregnant, and since she has gotten pregnant 2 more times accidentally. She is pregnant now actually, and has never taken a prenantal vitatim, because she said she doesn't "want" to...sadly enough she found out that the baby has spina bifida They have no money, no insurance.... And she said her doctor talked to her that its possible (and I understand this may not be the case) but possible that low folic acid might have lead to this, and that had she been taking a prenatal vit maybe it could have been prevented. She said its the doc's fault because he should have tested her folic acid levels. I explained to her that all doc recommend a daily prenatal absolutely for all pregnant women but actually for all women of child bearing age because by the time some know they are pregnant, the neural tube formation has happened......She also cheated on her husband last year, oh and she very very obese which she hates, of course. And before I got pregnant, I had finally lost all my baby weight and she was rude to me about it, her comment was "oh what happened to your boobs?" She's just a miserable person, but I get why, so I try not to take it personally, but she really is toxic.
Anyway, her life is a mess. And its gotten to the point that I can't talk about any of our "problems" because my problems are just not as important as hers. I feel like saying "sorry I didn't ruin my life, but I still have things going on!!"

Well recently we were trying to decide whether to send my son to private school or public, Our local public school is ok, its just that it got like 1200 kids in it! Most of the schools in our area have like 400 - 500 kids. We don't like the class size either, there's just too many kids, to teacher ratio. But we also don't want to send him a 1/2 away for not reason. And she was just like "its no big deal, its not something to worry about. I don't know why you are even thinking about it." Mean while her daughter is going to a school that's not too great and there's nothing that can be done because my friend can't afford private school. I told her, well this is something that is a big deal to me right now, I need to make a choice.....and she was like "oh get over it"...and I finally just snapped. I told her I think we need to go our seperate ways...and that was it. Removed her from facebook and block her phone number.

I know she's having a tough time, but she's been having a tough time for the past 5 years! Its always something and she never tried to change anything about her life. And she's made it clear that she wnats nothing to do with any thing in my life. The only time she's interested in listen to me is if I have something miserable going on...like misery loves company. I feel like I just dropped a huge bunch a dead weight, and I feel pretty good. I just needed to get it out somewhere!!!!
The only thing is I will move on because I am happy, but I know how she is, I've seen it when other friends dump her, she has nothing better to do but try to call them and message them on facebook, and stalk them....its sad really. But its not that she tried to contact them to be like "i'm sorry lets be friends"...no, she does it to keep telling them off....she's just such a train wreck and she can't handle anyone walking away from her misery.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-09-2013 at 11:46 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Bravo to you!!!! I have family in my life like that, they're not as easy to dump, lol.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #3  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Wow, you are truly an inspiration! Good for you!!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

i just came here to vent about my friend situation when i saw your thread
i think you did the right choice...true friends should be lifting you up not putting you down. i just wish i had the courage to do the same with some of my friends :/
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #5  

thank you. It took me years of her attitude to fianlly do it. She was rude and unsupportive many times and I would distance myself but never end it, then she would start coming around when she needed something and I would let hte friendship revive...I would have rather not ended it so abruptly, but she just wasn't taking the hint other wise. I think she was getting used to being a b!tch and not expecting me to drop her for it...even though many other people over the years have drop her. But she doesn't think its her. She has no insight into her behavoir. She thinks its always someone else's fault. She can't see how she brings this on herself. So I'm fairly sure in her mind I'm nuts and she did nothing wrong!! She actually feels that she was justified to verbally attack her manager using racial slurs! OMG, she really saw nothing wrong with it and thought that "the universe" was out to get her again, since she got fired for it...
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #6  

I'm very, very happy for you! It's not easy to ditch a toxic friend, but when it gets that bad it's really time to let go. I know you said you're happy about it now, but if you're anything like me, some time down the road you're going to suddenly feel guilty about it and wonder if maybe you should get into contact with her again and apologize, if maybe it was wrong of you to skip out on someone who needed a friend even if they treated that friend like crap, if maybe there was something you could have done to help her - the answer is no, no, and NO! You absolutely, 100% made the right decision here, don't even give it a second thought, just enjoy your lighter life

Last edited by thinkfit; 05-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #7  

Life is too short for that drama and toxicity. I'm happy for you!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfit View Post
I'm very, very happy for you! It's not easy to ditch a toxic friend, but when it gets that bad it's really time to let go. I know you said you're happy about it now, but if you're anything like me, some time down the road you're going to suddenly feel guilty about it and wonder if maybe you should get into contact with her again and apologize, if maybe it was wrong of you to skip out on someone who needed a friend even if they treated that friend like crap, if maybe there was something you could have done to help her - the answer is no, no, and NO! You absolutely, 100% made the right decision here, don't even give it a second thought, just enjoy your lighter life
I am exactly like that! After enough time elaspes I always end up blaming myself no matter what happened. I am going to hunt down this thread and reread it then!! I am the kind of person that if she were to call me in a few months and either act like nothing happened ro tried to say that we both were being crappy friends, I'd agree. I end up sharing the blame with people in situations where I was justified in what I did. My husband was glad to hear I finally was done with her. So I think he will make sure I don't start to feel guilty down the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

Wow, good for you deciding to let that friendship go. She definitely sounds like a complete downer, and there is only so much you can do.
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote