Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/301/250

Height: 5'3"

Default scared... meeting with a dietician

First i want to thank you all... I dont know how i would do this without this place. I love my husband and friends, but this is a journey you have to be on to truly understand... They love and support me, but shared experience is the same...

Some of you know i'm doing a medically supported weight loss program... (see post "New begining"

Tomorrow terrifies me... I am meeting with my dietician for the first time...

I don't like being told i cant have something, or exactly what i should eat... and that wont work with our lifestyle... I am terrified that this will be the piece that derails all my work... That being told no, having "banned" foods, will make me stop doing this... and i dont want to give up...

I've been doing WW on my own... but with my recent diagnosis of Insulin Resistant, i need to change the things i eat, more protien, less carbs...

I love WW because NOTHING is off limits... Now it feels like everything i love it...and i'm scared of fruit because of the sugars...

So... yeah... just wanted to tell someone i'm scared that this will be what breaks my resolve to get healthy... around here i put on game face and act strong and determined... but i needed to tell someone...
NikonGirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #2  

Good luck tomorrow!!

Please try to keep an open-mind of what they tell you. I was in a very tough place when I met with my nutritionist for the first time but I was desperate for their help.

The first meeting with them changed my life last July and now, just today, I hit onederland in their office and cried happy tears. These people saved my life literally and I don't know what would have happened to me if I kept doing what I was doing.

Try not to focus so much on what you can't have. The things I can have in my life (not necessarily food) are priceless compared to a slice of pizza or a box of cookies.

Let us know how it goes. I hope you are pleasantly surprised.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #3  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hear, hear. I would just add that you are in charge. Even if the meeting is the worst you can imagine, that doesn't mean you will give up. You have the power to decide how you respond to every step of this process--and I have faith that you'll make the right decision for you, whatever that is.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Don't be afraid! It's a learning process.

Gather info, track, figure out what works for you.

We are all different.

Be patient! Embrace ideas, suggestions, see what works and what does not!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

Hi Jillian,

I agree with what everyone as said, keep an open mind. Maybe try and put into your mind that this is a good thing, that your meeting is the start of a new beginning and something positive rather than negative. I have one rule when it comes to food and i never say that i CANT have because that makes me want it all the more. I am a type 2 diabetic and i try to keep the sugars down in my healthy eating. But if i fancy a chocolate biscuit i have one because if i say no i know that i will end up binging on them. I would suggest being really open and honest with your dietician and tell her/him your fears and tell them everything, this is important because i am sure you will be nicely surprised and come out feeling all the better for discussing everything. Good luck hon, you can do this and this will be a positive thing!!

Hugs Sam xxx

Last edited by BuffyInSunnydale; 05-07-2013 at 05:27 AM.
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #6  

Thank you so much for all your kind words...

The meeting wasn't horrible, and I'm going to do exactly what you guys suggest... Do what works for me, and take the knowledge and weave it in...

I wanted to share with you all that today your words literally rescued me... After my dietician appointment (and before my assesment with the physical therapist) I went to have breakfast in the cafe, not even thinking... I was sitting out of the patio enjoying the BEAUTIFUL morning... Eating the small muffin, hardboiled egg, fruit and dip and string cheese (they sell it their as "daily snack")... A staff member came down with a couple of the patients from the eating disorder program... and i panicked. I became so self conscious of every bite... They were so skinny and tiny and i could only imagine what they were thinking about me, considering they were there for ED treatment... But i got through my meal, and i did it by reading all your responses on my phone...

It was a shocking revolation for me, that i am not that much different from them... and i realized that all of us were there for the same reason, we want to be healthy and have a normal relationship with food... that pant size isnt what determines disordered eating...
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Of course you're not that different from them... We can't be close to or more than 300 lbs. without having an eating disorder. We just show them in different ways. I'm glad that the meeting wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. I know that I'm getting new insurance and I'm hoping on one hand that I will be able to see a nutritionist and on the other that I can't. Keep up the good work! Maybe you haven't let it sink in yet, but the people here really DO care about what you're going through. I have been reading your posts--although I don't get to post often--and I see how you're doing and I'm rooting for you... your post about the nutritionist has taken some of my nervousness away about seeing one.
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #8  

I'm right there with you in the battle of insulin resistance and carbs. Initially when I started to think about giving up some of the "banned" foods, I felt so overwhelmed I didn't even want to try to lose weight. Thinking of all the limitations and all the things I would have to give up left me feeling completely distraught. How was I ever going to beat this?

Then I watched a documentary on Netflix called "Hungry for Change," and something in my brain just clicked. One of the nutritionist in the movie said you have to change the way you think about food. It's not that you can't have (insert sugar/carbs/processed food here), you don't want that food in your body. This phrase has really worked for me. Whenever I'm craving something I know wouldn't be healthy for me I think about what it would do to my body.

I'm not saying I'm perfect all the time. Carbs will always be my nemesis. But thinking "I can have it, I just don't want it," has really taken away that feeling of hopelessness I originally had. We are all strong and capable in making good decisions!

You have already done so much in pursuit of being healthy. How brave to go on this journey and meet with a dietician. You've already proven your strength. I know you can do this!
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

I struggled with insulin resistance also. What worked for me is a diet called "The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet" by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller. Their theory is by following their diet, you trick the body into releasing less insulin, therefore ridding yourself the the bloat and bottomless hunger that most people with IR have. I don't know if their science is spot on, but I started with their diet at 350 pounds and insulin levels 4x's the maximum acceptable limit. I added a few components to their diet (gluten free and calorie counting) as the months and years went on, but now my numbers on blood work are fine. Due to my numbers being good and the amount of running I do, I no longer use their diet, I follow a calorie counting, almost Paleo diet, and have not had any symptoms of the IR returning.

I don't know that it will work for everyone, but I thought I would throw it out there as an option.
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #10  

I just wanted to say i love this place so much. it makes it all easier...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #11  

Hope you're doing well NikonGirl. It looks like you're almost to the 200's, how exciting!!!
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #12  

I made it to the 200's a couple weeks ago, but havent been on here much cause life has been so crazy, i used to post during work, but we have been slammed and i've been working TONS of OT...

Anywho.... This has been a trying couple weeks... I'm stalled out on losing and so exhausted from work... With my husbands birthday and eating out 5 days in a row, i stopped counting points and got myself off track... Today, i am trying very hard to get back on track and begin again...

I know its all up to me...
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 325/326/160

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonGirl30 View Post
I made it to the 200's a couple weeks ago, but havent been on here much cause life has been so crazy, i used to post during work, but we have been slammed and i've been working TONS of OT...

Anywho.... This has been a trying couple weeks... I'm stalled out on losing and so exhausted from work... With my husbands birthday and eating out 5 days in a row, i stopped counting points and got myself off track... Today, i am trying very hard to get back on track and begin again...

I know its all up to me...
Best of luck with that, it can be hard to do but not impossible.
musicalchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

This is a very inspirational thread for me. I know that I struggle when I go the doctor and they fuss at me and tell me I have been losing weight too fast. I know my first thought is that 'I am in a good place and now you tell me I can eat more.' That is like giving me the 'green light' to eat chocolate every day. Fortunately on 2 separate days since I last visited the doctor I have had the occasion to eat more but was able to maintain reasonable control. I enjoy what I want in smaller portions. I know I can do this. I just really fear that getting the OK to eat more is going to ruin the place that I am at.

My doctor is of the opinion that you have to always eat healthy while my opinion is that I refuse to deprive myself of things I truly want. I just eat it in a smaller portion, make sure to count the calories in it and compensate by eating fruit or other 'good for me' foods the rest of the day.

I am so glad for you that the meeting went well. I agree with all here to take what you can use and fit in with your plan. At first I had mixed emotions about your post because I could see myself in it. This is what I love about this place so many people out there throwing out ideas and help me get to that spot I need to be in. Thanks so much!!!

I love you all!!!
pjvw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #15  

Good luck! You can do it!
janehenderson13 is offline   Reply With Quote