100 lb. Club - NSV - I bought a dress!

View Full Version : NSV - I bought a dress!

Elladorine
04-26-2013, 03:51 PM
So I have this relatively big event coming up next weekend; I'm a first place division winner for TOPS (http://www.tops.org/default.aspx) with the amount of weight I lost last year and will be presented an award at our State Recognition Days. I'd already briefly considered buying something for it since I'd found a casual dress (http://instagram.com/p/X1LKD4NIsy/) that I actually liked, but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money when I didn't know if there was some kind of dress code for the ceremony.

I think the last time I willingly wore a dress in public was on the day of my wedding. :p They typically don't suit me; I'm an apple and I tend to look pregnant in them. And yes, I know I'm actually pregnant now, but being only 6 weeks along it's not like I'm showing. :lol: Anyway, I was told on Wednesday that I have to wear a formal dress. Uh . . . what? So not what I originally had in mind of buying! I do have a stretchy black velvet dress in my closet, but seriously doubted that it still fit me as I know I wore it at my highest weight of 360. Still, I remembered that since it was stretchy, I was able to buy a much smaller size than I normally wore at the time (I was well over a 30 and it was only a 24). Maybe a 24 wouldn't be so bad?

I tried it on. Yuck. It has long sleeves, goes down to my ankles, and is way too big all over. I briefly thought about having it altered but I'm running out of time and already have bad connotations with the dress (I wore it at my father's funeral). Regardless, I really wasn't looking forward to shopping for a new one. Even though I'd liked the aforementioned casual dress well enough, the ones that don't emphasize my tummy are few and far between, and formal dresses not only tend to be expensive, but they're often sleeveless or have spaghetti straps, which I can't pull off thanks to needing a heavy-duty bra. But off I went.

At the very least I figured I'd find something suitable, but that anything that worked would probably be matronly and unflattering. I hit several department stores and it was all the same story. Not much to choose from for formals, and most selections only went up to 14 or 18. I'm typically in a 16 now (and I do know that sizes vary), but every 18 I tried on was way too small in the stomach and bust. I tried a few plus sized specialty stores, but only found casual summer dresses, and most of those were too skimpy on the top for my bras anyway. I began to lose hope and wondered if I'd be stuck with the funeral dress after all.

My luck changed at Macy's. I found this $120 dress on clearance for only $30! It's a 16 and it fit! :carrot:

http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad316/MIssElly76/fbea5507-2b84-49c1-92cb-7cc48ffdfc51_zps520cd89a.jpg

You can't really tell here, but the bottom half is not grey, it's white with a layer of black lace/tulle over it. :)

While I don't have any photos taken in that old black dress, this will give you an idea of the size difference since then. :dizzy:

http://distilleryimage3.ak.instagram.com/1f26419cae2711e2bee422000a9f14ea_7.jpg (http://instagram.com/p/YjdRiZNIr_/)

(this is 360 pounds to 210)

I'd been feeling like a blob lately in knowing that I need to take a maintenance break. I still have about 60 pounds to lose and was so looking forward to getting under 200 for this first time this summer. But things change, and that's ok. :) I'm so looking forward to the baby! And finding a dress like this that actually flatters my stomach rather than emphasizing it is just incredible to me. I can go to the ceremony and feel confident and even pretty when I have to get on stage. It's not often that I find something that actually makes me feel like a princess. :^:

Now I just need to go shopping for shoes, as even my feet have gotten too small for my old shoes. :lol:

merilung
04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
You look GORGEOUS. Seriously, that dress is so flattering for you!! Make sure to post a picture of the whole outfit when you find the perfect shoes! :)

PreciousMissy
04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
I love that dress! You look amazing in it!!

amandie
04-26-2013, 04:54 PM
I love that dress!!! I cannot wait to see a pic of you with the shoes and everything! Congrats on being 1st place division winner! That is an amazing accomplishment. Happy for you all around.

elvislover324
04-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Congratulations on your award! Love the dress (and the price!!), you look like a princess. I hope you feel like one too!:flow1:

lunarsongbird
04-26-2013, 05:07 PM
http://pickuplinecards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/0007-Youre-So-Beautiful-You-Made-Me-Forget-My-Line.jpg

;)

You are going to look so adorable with a baby bump that I might just die!! How long do you think I have to wait to see? 4 months?

Kitcherella
04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
You look fabulous :cp: and for 30 dollars!wow!

April Snow
04-26-2013, 05:31 PM
congrats on the award and the dress looks wonderful! Can't wait to see the fully dolled up version! :)

bargoo
04-26-2013, 06:31 PM
That is a beautiful dress and it looks good on you but it is not a formal, as I understand them, anyway. I thought formals were always floor length.

Elladorine
04-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone! :grouphug: I'll post more pics later. :)

That is a beautiful dress and it looks good on you but it is not a formal, as I understand them, anyway. I thought formals were always floor length.
Well, I kept hearing "formal gown" from the chapter coordinator, but after I questioned chapter leader about details, she told me that as long as it was "fancy" and below the knee that it would be fine, and not to worry about it being an actual gown (whew!)

Thinforme
04-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Beautiful and thrifty, I think I'm in love lol. You look amazing!

charliee
04-26-2013, 09:10 PM
You look beautiful!! And what a steal. Congrats!

Mozzy
04-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Total score!!! You look great!!!!

AlmostMe
04-27-2013, 03:07 AM
That dress rocks!! You rock that dress.

I think 'formal' is a bit more fluid these days anyway.... and in the pic - it looks like a print and not a lace overlay.

And $30!!!!??? You are my idol.

loganandlivsmom
04-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Congrats for many reasons-the baby, the weight loss, the award, the dress and the total steal of a price! you rock!
It's good you lost so much before the pregnancy. It will keep your weight gain under control. I gained 20 and my doctor was fine with it (I got pregnant weighing 250 at 5'8). Some people eat while pregnant as a license to eat. If you only gain 20-25 after the baby you will be right where you started with the baby, fluids lost etc..
Congrats! :carrot:

thinkfit
04-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Congrats! The dress looks amazing on you, good luck finding the perfect shoes :)

Garnet2727
04-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Congratulations! What a lovely dress and you look wonderful in it!

Teresa66
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Congrulations on being a division winner! I have been to my state's SRD in the past and it is so inspirational. You will look beautiful in your dress.

bethFromDayton
04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow! I liked the casual dress but this one is even more flattering and you look fantastic in it!

I'd missed the news that you were pregnant! I'm so happy and excited for you--babies are the best thing ever!!! My kids are 17, 20, and my stepdaughter is 24--and I *love* being a mom. I hope you have an easy and uneventful pregnancy.

smashlers
04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
You look SO GREAT!! I love that dress!!

betsy2013
04-28-2013, 12:20 PM
You look wonderful -- and BTW, you have a great set of legs!!!!

Have a wonderful time at the event and keep posting those pictures.

belovedspirit
04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Beautiful! :)

ladykahlo
04-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Wow! I love your dress! Thank you for putting this up! And congratulations!! :carrot:

punkrocksong
04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
That's a lovely dress! And formals always run a little smaller than the casual clothes we usually buy. I've always gone more by fit than what the number on the tag says. Congratualtions on the award!

ubergirl
04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
You look stunning and the dress flatters you perfectly! Congratulations on the award, the dress, and all of the fantastic weight loss that got you there.

Martine
04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Congratulations on your first place and that dress is beautiful on you!

Lecomtes
04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
LOVELY! Great dress! Beautiful lady!

wannaskipandlaugh
04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh my goodness... you look AWESOME!! That dress is very pretty... It is almost as pretty as you are! Have fun at the TOPS convention. My mom was part of TOPS for 15 years here in Florida and I have to laugh.... the local area here would charter a bus... the 1st stop... Breakfast LOL... But the ladies all had a great time... Parading in their fun Tshirts, Dresses for those LIKE YOU have have accomplished a wonderful thing...

Congratulations!