Ideal Protein Diet - muscle gain, no weight loss, emotional, irregular periods

sidewaysrevolution
03-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Wanted to get a second opinion after being scolded by my IP coach at weigh in today. ( I thought they were there to motivate?? ) If it makes a difference, I'd say this last week was the most strict I have been on the diet as I was trying to make my numbers move - I think that is why I am so frustrated. Here is my situation and would appreciate any insight/advice or if you have experienced anything similar.

Starting my 7th week on IP.
Lost only 9lbs so far (about 1lb/week). (As I understand it the first 5lbs dont count because you gain those back when you return carbs to your diet)
Started my period on 3rd week (not suppose to as I am on BC continuously so I dont have periods), lasted for 10 days, stopped for 5 days, started again & currently on the 7th day and still going.
I do strength training 2x/week for 45min (mostly for emotional stability) (I usually do 4-5x/week and cut down significantly for this diet) I eat an extra NR IP food on these days.
I've continued to lose fat, but gaining muscle in the last few weeks.
Inches coming down slowly, except for last week.
Have noticed a huge shift in my emotions during the last month or so. Always on the verge of tears or very irritable.
Using Ketostix every morning and have remained in ketosis since day 3 - if these measure correctly.

I have attached a detailed report of last week's food journal and my numbers.

Confessions:
I know there are foods in my journal that are not on the official diet list, however I feel I have chosen them carefully and eat them because I feel it prevents me from 'really' cheating. Also some avocado came on my salad - didn't realize it wasn't on the diet - whoops - now i know.

I'd like to know if anyone out there has had the same experience as me and how you solved your issues? Also, if you think anything on the food journal would derail the entire diet?

BeccaGrim
03-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. My gut is to say that you need to stop the strength training. Hopefully Scorbett will see this thread. She knows a ton.

BeccaGrim
03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
As for your period (sorry posted too soon before) Mine went whacky at first too and I'm on an IUD where I don't get it for months at a time. When you release fat, you release the estrogen stored in the fat. (Thats where the estrogen is kept.) It screws everything up. Hence, all the IP babies.

leannekarella
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
The slow weight loss could have something to do with the fact you don't have "that much" to lose. The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off.

The period and moods is because when you're in ketosis, your body is throwing off a lot of estrogen messing with hormones, mood, etc.

As for getting chewed out, this is not helpful, and you need to stand up for yourself with your coach if they're making you feel badly (in my opinion).

Technically you're not supposed to work out on this diet, because you do not consume enough calories for muscle gain. If there's something other than weight training you do (I walk...it's low impact, low stress on muscles) I think that would help.

Your calories are higher than they should be for IP, but I have to say they are similar to mine. I add extra protein to my day because I'm diabetic. On the other hand because you already weigh so much less than I do, I'm wondering if your calories are a little too high.

There are items on your foods lists that are totally off limits for phase 1, such as sunflower seeds and avocados. The fat levels are just too high. I would try to get back to basics if I were having your issues, and not add in the high fat items.

For this diet to work as it should, it has to be followed. I'm sorry things aren't working for you as is... I hope you can get on the right track. :hug:

scorbett1103
03-08-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: your period and the emotions - women store estrogen in their fat cells. So when we lose weight it releases into our systems. That can cause extended PMS symptoms, irregular periods, AND it can make BCP less effective - also why you should use additional protection while on IP.

RE: slow losses - the strength training combined with the fact that you don't have as much to lose means you will have slower losses regardless. When you decide to exercise, especially with intensity, you have to understand that you will not see the bigger losses that are typical of IP. The calorie intake is too low. You should also be supplementing with an extra packet right after finishing any exercise to replace the calories. Also, with less to lose, there is a smaller difference between the calories you are eating and the calories your body needs - less of a calorie deficit means slower losses.

RE: off plan foods - you can't be surprised at the lower losses if you are knowingly not following the plan. Multiple deviations from the plan, no matter how calculated they are, can throw things off. I didn't read through your eating plan but if you know you are making changes to the plan that is the first thing you need to look at if you are concerned about the rate of losses. There is more to the IP diet than just calories and carbs, there is chemistry at work as well and a reason for the foods we are allowed to have, as well as the ones we can't.

Also, RE: the ketostix - If you are registering ketones on them, you likely aren't drinking enough water. Ketosis does not put high levels of ketones in your system, and if you are well hydrated they are diluted enough that they barely register, if at all, on the stix.

Hope that helps!

LexiChanel1
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Looking at your measurements, you are pretty darn thin. I am higher than you on all measurements and hips so small, Geez you are lucky. Mine are 37 1/2, and I am 5 feet tall. I think your workouts are really helping you, but i would honestly eat on plan. When you are working out have the bar 10 minutes before you work out and protien after. Seriously your measurements are awesome, keep up the workouts:) And remember no cheating, have more meat or an egg if you are hungry.

sidewaysrevolution
03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank you all who have responded. I really appreciate your time and help. I think I might switch coaches to this forum!! ;) And thanks for the encouragement. I really think that is just want I needed as I think my emotions/hormones are whacked-out and seritonin levels are teetering on something thin.

My dr. called me in today for a gyn checkup because she said something else could be going on that might be more serious. So I'll update if I find out anything new.

Are there any books out there that anyone could recommend as to the chemistry of how a diet like this works? Would it just be a book on ketosis or is there something else I should be looking for?

ragdoll74
03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
google PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) and you will find the info you want.

mrskuby
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Honestly, I think you need to go back and look at the P1 sheet again...I keep seeing tomatoes and green beans, both of which are restricted veggies, meaning only once a week. Then there are the sunflower seeds, avocado, pecans, bacon bits...none of which are OP. Also keep in mind that if you are eating rotisserie chicken from a store or restaurant, they inject them with chemicals, sugar, salt, etc...so that will add up. I don't know what the lupe tortillas are but if they are store/restaurant made then they might have the same additives. Also cooked onions are not allowed (apparently cooking causes them to have higher sugar) and lastly my coach told me no creamer. She didn't give me a reason but I haven't heard of anyone on here using it. I use my protein drink as a creamer...

JohnP
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
It is very likely that if you've been lifting for a while it's extremely unlikely that you're gaining muscle. The bioimpedance montiors are not accurate, even under the best of conditions and certainly not when used at and IP coaches office under less than ideal conditions. (Ideal would be first thing in the morning after waking up and using restroom to try and normalize hydration)

Also, I would have to see pictures but it is very unlikely if you've been lifting for a while that your goal weight makes any sense from an IP perspective.

I would not advise you to stop lifting, I would advise you to get better advice specific to your situation. If you're as lean as I suspect you are now, continuing on with phase 1 of IP is probably not the best idea and could very well be a bad idea.

You're probably not insulin resistant, at all. Assuming I am right you could lose faster on a diet with a moderate amount of carbs and that would take care of the irritability problem as well. After seven weeks of such a restrictive diet my personal advise would be to take a diet break for a couple weeks and attempt to eat maintinence calories to normalize your hormones and then decide what to do from there.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I also see many items in your food log that aren't on Phase 1 (sunflower seeds, nuts, bacon bits, CoffeeMate, cooked onions in the fajitas).

Not to be harsh, but set aside your exercise and hormonal issues for a minute and realize that you're not following the protocol all that closely.

I think if you stick to it the way it's written some of your issues may resolve themselves.

LexiChanel1
03-08-2013, 01:14 PM
John gave you good avice.

LexiChanel1
03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Advice, and you seem to be very lean looking at your measurements. Thats like a size 2 body. I am currently a size 4 and your measurements much smaller than mine, and you are 6 inches taller. I would stop the diet.

JohnP
03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I also see many items in your food log that aren't on Phase 1 (sunflower seeds, nuts, bacon bits, CoffeeMate, cooked onions in the fajitas).

Not to be harsh, but set aside your exercise and hormonal issues for a minute and realize that you're not following the protocol all that closely.

I think if you stick to it the way it's written some of your issues may resolve themselves.

Context matters. In the context of the OP, you're incorrect. People who are already lean should not be on an extended PSMF plan.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Context matters. In the context of the OP, you're incorrect. People who are already lean should not be on an extended PSMF plan.

I didn't say anything about her being lean, I think this was meant to be directed toward Lexi.

JohnP
03-08-2013, 06:18 PM
I didn't say anything about her being lean, I think this was meant to be directed toward Lexi.

No - it was directed towards you and this comment

The point is that unless I am mistaken, the OP is lean and has been lifting weights long enough where it is part of their routine and they enjoy it. Given this context, she shouldn't be on such a restrictive diet such as the IP diet and it is likely that her problems are indeed hormonal in nature.

Her problem, in my opinion, is not that she is failing to follow the protocol but that she is following the wrong plan for her situation.

LexiChanel1
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM

you obviously love me:) I know what Im talking about, been thin my whole life except while preggo....btw.

blueirid
03-08-2013, 06:51 PM
This is my first post so hope I'm in the right thread. I've been on the IP diet since December 9th and have lost a total of 28 lbs. Once a month, my coach measures my body fat to lean muscle ratio with a monitor that I place both hands on and hold straight out from my body for about 45 seconds. I've not seen this mentioned by anyone else and am wondering about the accuracy of these measurements.

scorbett1103
03-08-2013, 07:03 PM
This is my first post so hope I'm in the right thread. I've been on the IP diet since December 9th and have lost a total of 28 lbs. Once a month, my coach measures my body fat to lean muscle ratio with a monitor that I place both hands on and hold straight out from my body for about 45 seconds. I've not seen this mentioned by anyone else and am wondering about the accuracy of these measurements.

You will actually get more responses if you post general questions in the Daily thread :)

But to answer you, they are VERY inaccurate. Helpful for measuring trends, but the actual numbers don't mean anything. Your doctor gets a more accurate body fat reading when he uses the calipers.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
That's all well and good, and even though people may think IP is not the right diet for her, I still stand by the fact that she's not following it correctly by adding in food that's not on Phase 1.

JohnP
03-08-2013, 08:15 PM
That's all well and good, and even though people may think IP is not the right diet for her, I still stand by the fact that she's not following it correctly by adding in food that's not on Phase 1.

With all due respect, you're saying quite a bit more than she isn't following the diet as written. You're saying that if she followed the program as written that some of her problems would be solved.

My belief is that based on her specific circumstances, which I am calling conext, she shouldn't be on a PSMF type of diet for long periods of time.

I realize that you're trying to be helpful but you're probably completely wrong. I would have to see pictures of the OP but based on the height, weight, measurements, training history and symptoms the IP diet is not the correct diet, for her.

I really don't know how to explain it to you without writing out two pages but I'll simply tell you that when you're lean, and trying to get leaner, you need to lose it slowly and only intermittently ketogenic.

People toss the words "starvation mode" around all the time thinking that too few calories stops fat loss and this is a myth but there actually is such a thing as starvation mode and it is when the body starts to shut down non eseential functions and if I'm rigtht the OP is at the beginning phase of this.

I've seen it before to others around the net and I saw it happen in my wife. We didn't know what was happening and in the end it tooks months of eating at maintinence for everything to work itself out. That is why I'm suggesting the OP consider eating a couple weeks at maintinence and if she wants to return the the IP diet I'd suggest only 3-4 weeks of phase 1 at a time.

Lolo70
03-08-2013, 11:49 PM
These are proponents of an Atkins diet, but the questions abouts stalls using a ketogenic diet may be applicable for IP as well. The podcast is a bit long and more general, but Phinney is doing good nutrition science.

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/f/1/c/f1c834b63555a963/atlcx-23-phinney.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1c e3dae902ea1d01ce853fd1c05cc6c1&c_id=4872461

BeccaGrim
03-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I had no idea that machine was so inaccurate. I haven't been on it since my first weigh in before i started the diet. Do you think it was totally off?

shellyk1
03-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Please dont blast me I have done that already but I want to know if it is possible that you gain weight just because of cycle(Tom as you all call it on here) I had my 4 week weigh in and was doing awesome total of 17 lbs lost previous but 3 pound gain this week! Was very devistated but still very determined! Any tips to try and make sure there is not a gain the next cycle! Thanks for any input! :0) Shelly

IdealProteinNewbie
03-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Please dont blast me I have done that already but I want to know if it is possible that you gain weight just because of cycle(Tom as you all call it on here) I had my 4 week weigh in and was doing awesome total of 17 lbs lost previous but 3 pound gain this week! Was very devistated but still very determined! Any tips to try and make sure there is not a gain the next cycle! Thanks for any input! :0) Shelly

It is totally possible! Don't worry, TOM can cause some to retain a lot of water weight.

Just drink extra water and it will flush itself out!

scorbett1103
03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I had no idea that machine was so inaccurate. I haven't been on it since my first weigh in before i started the diet. Do you think it was totally off?

Yup :)

Basically, there really ISN'T a way to accurately measure body fat % with electrical impulses. And the lean mass % is calculated based off of the body fat % number that the scale comes up with. So neither is going to be a real, accurate number. What they ARE useful for is measuring trends - because they measure the same way every time you can see upward and downward trends, but the numbers themselves don't mean anything.

The most accurate ways to measure body fat and lean mass % are a DEXA scan, a water displacement measurement, or your doctor's old fashioned fat calipers :)

scorbett1103
03-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Spend some time reading the daily threads - there's usually one of us that's got a little TOM gain going on :)

It is TOTALLY normal - your body is going to have some water bloat going on during your period, which will flush away when you're done. You really can't "make sure" there's not a gain the next time - your body will do what it's going to do - but what you CAN do is be armed with the knowledge that it's just water and not REAL weight, and not get too worried about it.

sidewaysrevolution
03-09-2013, 11:51 PM
I got into troubles with severe PMS-like depression and a three month constant TOM when I switched to IP. This was definitely hormones and it may be due to the release of estrogen from fat stores, but it may also affect hormone synthesis. I have had serious health problems in the past due to hormonal imbalance, so I got concerned. I also had to run some urine tests, which do not work with TOM. What I did was increase carb intake to 2-3x the amount I took in on IP. This stopped the bleeding and the depression within two days. I did not count calories, but my weight stayed about the same after an initial rapid increase due to the higher carb intake.

I just lowered carbs again, though not to the extend IP recommends, and have so far not had the same problems. I work out every day (30 min HIIT cardio or toning) and I eat extra for this. 1-2 packages depending on how long I do it.

It depends what you want to achieve. The most rapid weight loss will come at the expense of exercise since you may otherwise even have trouble maintaining muscle mass. With my past history, I prefer to stay balanced emotionally and I want to be able to work out. This comes at the expense of slower losses. But as long as the scale goes down, I am fine. And it seems inches are coming off.

wow. it is really nice to know that someone else has experienced the emotional craziness. I want to loose, but not at the cost of my sanity. I think I will try your advice and continue the diet, but not with my coach as I'm certain she would not approve. Again thank you for responding and sharing your experience.

AlisonS
03-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Your current BMI is 23.7, which is in the normal range. Your goal weight is a 20.2 BMI. Underweight is anything less than 18.5. I would speak with your doctor and make sure that your goals are healthy and realistic. The fact that you are having some of these issues may be your body's way of saying STOP! Good luck and please take care of yourself.

sidewaysrevolution
03-10-2013, 12:09 AM
It is very likely that if you've been lifting for a while it's extremely unlikely that you're gaining muscle. The bioimpedance montiors are not accurate, even under the best of conditions and certainly not when used at and IP coaches office under less than ideal conditions. (Ideal would be first thing in the morning after waking up and using restroom to try and normalize hydration)

Also, I would have to see pictures but it is very unlikely if you've been lifting for a while that your goal weight makes any sense from an IP perspective.

I would not advise you to stop lifting, I would advise you to get better advice specific to your situation. If you're as lean as I suspect you are now, continuing on with phase 1 of IP is probably not the best idea and could very well be a bad idea.

You're probably not insulin resistant, at all. Assuming I am right you could lose faster on a diet with a moderate amount of carbs and that would take care of the irritability problem as well. After seven weeks of such a restrictive diet my personal advise would be to take a diet break for a couple weeks and attempt to eat maintinence calories to normalize your hormones and then decide what to do from there.

It is my understanding that a 1lb muscle gain for a woman in one week is not possible, even if there are ideal conditions and super high levels of testosterone involved. However, my coach insisted that the readings were correct. So, yes. I do have serious doubts in the measurements and knowledge at the clinic.

I guess I put my goal weight as 125 because I'm really not sure as to what my goal weight should/would be. I know I will gain 5 or so lbs when I add carbs back in my diet and that would put me at 130. I'm guessing 130-135? My goal is to lose some weight but mostly to lose fat so that all the strength training and muscle I have been building over the last several years can stop hiding behind the fat :0) I workout too hard not to SEE some of the hard work looking back at me in the mirror. As to what those exact numbers are....i dont know yet.

I've seen my doc and she said to add some carbs in for a while until we can determine what is going on. She said it could very well be the amount of estrogen my fat cells are releasing is too much for my body to handle or that my body is very sensitive to the hormone release. However, she said there could also be some other reasons. She ordered some blood work, sonogram, and a few other tests over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully its nothing serious and just a matter of a few carbs...ill keep this thread posted as to what happens.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts and your post.

sidewaysrevolution
03-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Advice, and you seem to be very lean looking at your measurements. Thats like a size 2 body. I am currently a size 4 and your measurements much smaller than mine, and you are 6 inches taller. I would stop the diet.

Oh....LexiChanel1....I so wish you were right. I'm a jean size 8-10 and a M-L up top. I dont have much confidence in the body fat measurements at the clinic. I'd say I'm about 28-29%. Those are the numbers I really want to change, no matter what the weight looks like I'd like to get BF to around 22-23% at least. :0) trust me, I am no size 4. Measurements are different on different body's i guess. My waste is small compared to the rest of my body, but I got it goin' on in the trunk :0)

Thanks for your thoughts.

sidewaysrevolution
03-10-2013, 12:31 AM

From my understanding there is no exact way to measure BF% except with sophisticated equipment in a lab setting. With that said, there are a few ways to estimate BF. I'd say the best would be Hydrostatic Weighing (+/-1.5% accuracy). You are submerged in water to get a reading. You probably have something like this at a university near you. Skin fold calipers are okay, but the measurements have to be done by a trained individual that knows exactly what they are doing.

My personal observation of the technique you are describing will give you a good reading within 5-10% of the true reading. But with me, when I hold the monitor to get a reading it is always lower than if I use a scale that you stand on that measures body fat. Those are always higher for me. My theory is that I carry more fat in my lower body than my upper body and the way they work is by sending an electronic current through your body and measuring the return rate. So through one arm and down the other. Or up one leg and down the other. I'm 26% BF on the monitor you hold and 32% BF on the one you stand on. So I just average it and go from there.

I think the most important take away is that if you are looking for a REAL number, go check out the hydrostatic weighing method. If you want a general number to start with to measure your progress, use the number they give you realizing that its not exact. Especially if you hold your weight either in your upper body or lower body.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

sidewaysrevolution
03-10-2013, 12:44 AM
With all due respect, you're saying quite a bit more than she isn't following the diet as written. You're saying that if she followed the program as written that some of her problems would be solved.

My belief is that based on her specific circumstances, which I am calling conext, she shouldn't be on a PSMF type of diet for long periods of time.

I realize that you're trying to be helpful but you're probably completely wrong. I would have to see pictures of the OP but based on the height, weight, measurements, training history and symptoms the IP diet is not the correct diet, for her.

I really don't know how to explain it to you without writing out two pages but I'll simply tell you that when you're lean, and trying to get leaner, you need to lose it slowly and only intermittently ketogenic.

People toss the words "starvation mode" around all the time thinking that too few calories stops fat loss and this is a myth but there actually is such a thing as starvation mode and it is when the body starts to shut down non eseential functions and if I'm rigtht the OP is at the beginning phase of this.

I've seen it before to others around the net and I saw it happen in my wife. We didn't know what was happening and in the end it tooks months of eating at maintinence for everything to work itself out. That is why I'm suggesting the OP consider eating a couple weeks at maintinence and if she wants to return the the IP diet I'd suggest only 3-4 weeks of phase 1 at a time.

I talked to several personal trainers I have worked with in the past about the issues I've been having and and they have mentioned the same thing. I have found it hard to lose fat, but I'm excellent at gaining muscle and strength. I've done marathons and triathlons and strength training is the only thing that has helped change my shape and the only thing where I have seen any results. Plus it is an emotional happy drug for me. However, as I understand it, a diet like this might be good for a while to try to help lose the fat, but I shouldn't stay on it for long periods. On top of that with the hormonal issues I have been having, they said it might be a longer process to get to where I want to be as I will have to deal with the 2-steps forward 1-step back approach in order to keep my hormones from making me purchase a straitjacket.....which is literally where I felt I was a few days ago. I have since added a few more carbs back into my diet and have been feeling better the last few days.

After the doc's tests, I'll be better able to assess what is going on.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

sidewaysrevolution
03-10-2013, 12:54 AM

The answer is 100% yes and no, there is not much you can do about it except run happy wild and free with the women in the feminine product commercials :0). I've had TOM issues since week 3 and as things progressed I started to experience the hormonal symptoms more and more. I'm currently on week 7 and the hormonal issues are a little too much for me to handle so I'm taking a different approach. However, I think my experience is not the norm on this diet. Don't be discouraged about not losing during your TOM and sometimes you might even see a bit of a gain. I'd say if you dont continue to lose in the weeks following then you should reassess what you are doing and readjust the diet to jumpstart the weight loss again. Always drink tons of water even if you are retaining, it helps.

sidewaysrevolution
03-10-2013, 01:02 AM
What is perhaps wrong is the notion that close to goal and doing strength training a loss of ONLY 9 lbs in 7 weeks is something to be totally desperate about. I mean, are people so brainwashed by what IP coaches are promising? Like leaving out a creamer a day and you magically loose 5 lbs instead of 1.2? If anything, I would also tend towards eating more in general or eating more fat.

Lolo70, I think my frustration had more to do with the way I was feeling, getting a scolding from my coach for eating the few items not on the diet, and my coach not hearing the issues I was having on the diet, nor was she helping me solve any of them. I was constantly hearing from my coach that I'm not losing enough each week. Also the fact that you pay so much for a diet like this - my expectations in a coach would be to help and give good advice. So I turned to the forum for help and I am glad I did. Honestly, I've done marathons and triathlons and haven't lost this much weight. So even though its not a quick fix, I'm good with the weight loss now that I have decided not to listen to my coach. although first 5 lbs isn't really a loss as you gain that back right? eeek. :0)

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them.

foreveryoung
03-10-2013, 04:33 AM
Wanted to get a second opinion after being scolded by my IP coach at weigh in today. ( I thought they were there to motivate?? ) If it makes a difference, I'd say this last week was the most strict I have been on the diet as I was trying to make my numbers move - I think that is why I am so frustrated. Here is my situation and would appreciate any insight/advice or if you have experienced anything similar.

Starting my 7th week on IP.
Lost only 9lbs so far (about 1lb/week). (As I understand it the first 5lbs dont count because you gain those back when you return carbs to your diet)
Started my period on 3rd week (not suppose to as I am on BC continuously so I dont have periods), lasted for 10 days, stopped for 5 days, started again & currently on the 7th day and still going.
I do strength training 2x/week for 45min (mostly for emotional stability) (I usually do 4-5x/week and cut down significantly for this diet) I eat an extra NR IP food on these days.
I've continued to lose fat, but gaining muscle in the last few weeks.
Inches coming down slowly, except for last week.
Have noticed a huge shift in my emotions during the last month or so. Always on the verge of tears or very irritable.
Using Ketostix every morning and have remained in ketosis since day 3 - if these measure correctly.

I have attached a detailed report of last week's food journal and my numbers.

Confessions:
I know there are foods in my journal that are not on the official diet list, however I feel I have chosen them carefully and eat them because I feel it prevents me from 'really' cheating. Also some avocado came on my salad - didn't realize it wasn't on the diet - whoops - now i know.

I'd like to know if anyone out there has had the same experience as me and how you solved your issues? Also, if you think anything on the food journal would derail the entire diet?

Sorry to tell you this, if you don't follow the sheet your results will be way different than the rest of dieters that follow the sheet. The instructions stated very specifically : no exercise in phase 1... Also you have a list of what and what not to eat. Some coaches get frustrated when their client doesn't follow the program closely, that had happened to many of us, good luck to you.

JohnP
03-10-2013, 03:55 PM
After the doc's tests, I'll be better able to assess what is going on.

I doubt it. You'll be able to rule out any obvious medical conditions but your GP is not an endo and even an endo is trained to find and solve health problems.

You don't have a health problem. You have a dietary problem. You're trying to combine a ketatonic low calorie diet with some intense weight lifting for over 7 weeks now.

Round peg. Square hole.

I've not seen any pictures of you but I have an extremely hard time believing you're anywhere near 30% body fat.

If you want to get a relatively accurate estimate of your body fat percentage you can post an anonymous set of pictures over here. (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=3738)

Lolo70
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Actually, in terms of fat loss and weight training, I have been following Precision Nutrition for a while. I like their coaching style, because it seems to be based on professional principles. I never subscribed to their program, but just read their free newsletter.

Tailwinds
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
What is meant by "OP"? I thought it stood for "On Plan/Program" but in this thread I saw it used in a way that seems to describe the dieter.

Thank you.

IntheEvening
03-10-2013, 06:11 PM
What is meant by "OP"? I thought it stood for "On Plan/Program" but in this thread I saw it used in a way that seems to describe the dieter.

Thank you.

OP usually means Original Poster.

Tailwinds
03-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Thank you!

claygirl
03-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Pregnant? Hope not. But that's how I feel sometimes on the diet. Added a bit of carbs for emotional stability. Just a little but it helps.