General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default What temperature do you keep your home?

I woke up this morning and I was freeeeeezing. I know that we have spoken about being cold when running a calorie deficit, but geeze. The house was 60, which seemed to previously be acceptable.

It's totally ridiculous at work- we can control our thermostat for our little office- and at minimum it's 72, but when I get there I usually crank it to 74. So bad.

So what temperature do you keep your home?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

I live with two men that can't sleep at night unless it's cold enough to hang meat. They keep it about 70 year round and 65 at night. In the office, I work with a group of women that all hit menopause at the same time, so suffice it to say the temp. in here is on a merry go round all day long LOL. They actually fight over the thermostat..... I mean it gets nasty some days!!!

The more I lose, the colder I get. I look at it as losing my insulation LOL.
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #3  

I'm the same as FickleHearts, the more I lose the colder I get! I keep the house anywhere from 70-72 during the day.

The house default is 68 degrees at night for bed, I begged my husband for this as he had it set cooler! He loves it chillier and wears t-shirts all day while I have on a shirt, a sweatshirt, a down blanket, a cup of tea and sometimes I put my hood on! I hate hate hate being cold. But when I was heavier, I was never cold. I was hot all the time!!

Just have to factor the propane cost into my weightloss budget I guess! Or cuddle more!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #4  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

LOL! I will see how I can manage for the next few weeks or so- then I may have to ask DH if we can turn the thermostat up. I don't mind it being cold when I'm in bed, but the healthier I get- the earlier I get up. I might need the thermostat to kick on at 5:30 AM or so.

He has been getting estimates on a new furnace. Maybe when it's more energy efficient he'll be more likely to turn it up more.

I'm usually uncomfortably hot in the summer, maybe this year we will all be perfectly comfortable?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I constantly wear sweats at home and sometimes scarf/fingerless gloves. As soon as I get out of bed, I put on socks and a sweatshirt. We keep it at 67-68 at home.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post

I'm usually uncomfortably hot in the summer, maybe this year we will all be perfectly comfortable?
Even if I am not perfectly comfortable, at least I won't sweat profusely like I have in the past (ew, gross).

Now that I walk anywhere from 3-5 miles a day it will have to benefit me at least a little in the summer since I won't be breathing like I just ran a marathon.

So many things to look forward to this summer. I just realized my bathing suits are going to be way too big, they are all 26/28s. I might try them on today even though it's a blizzard outside LOL!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

We keep ours set at 70, but upstairs it's between 64-68. I always wear two wool sweaters or a wool cape, cuddle duds under my pants and smart wool socks on my feet (with slippers/shoes).

And it's not from losing insulating fat layers. It's from your metabolism slowing down (which it will do if you are losing weight - it's inevitable as your body does not WANT to be losing fat).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #8  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Our house is set to about 22 (Google tells me that's about 71 F) it goes down to 19 (66) at night and when we are away (I think my kitty is not impressed with that temperature lol). My feet and hands are always cold though. Most of the time I would rather be to cold than too hot. There are only so many clothes you can (reasonably!) take off. I can always put more on lol. I am looking forward to be down a few more lbs this summer and be less uncomfortable in the hot!

Last edited by Silverfire; 03-06-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I used to always be the person who was hot when everyone was comfortable, and comfortable when everyone was cold. Now I've turned into the person who is cold when everyone is comfortable!! And I don't think it's slowed metabolism because while it first happened when I lost weight a couple of years ago, that has stayed the same when I gained back the weight, and now that I'm losing again.

So whatever causes it, it's a pain! I keep my house at 68 at overnight, and around 72 when we are awake and doing stuff at home. My son seemingly never gets cold and will be comfortable in his underwear while I'm in sweat pants and a sweater. (although oddly, he doesn't like to be outdoors in cold weather!)

My office doesn't have a thermostat so I have no idea what the actual temperature is, but I keep the heater cranked, and people tease me about how warm it is. But I'm happy!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I keep my house at 68-70 when we're home and turn it down to 60 when my daughter goes to bed and when we leave for the day. I used to turn it down to 55 when I was out and at night, but my rottie is 13 now and below 60 seems to bother him now.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

We are at 66-67 during the day, and 57 (yup!) at night. There's something about being under cozy blankets and breathing cool air that is really restful. With LP gas running at about $650/tank ... I've learned to justify it. :P
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #12  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Haha well in the winter time we do not have it go below 70-71 degrees, my husband likes to run it up to 74 at night and then turn the fan on high to freeze us both. In the summer though, we try to keep the AC at 69-71 because even though it gets so dang hot here, it's much cooler inside our house than outside, and fans come in handy for sure!

Last edited by Pink Hurricane; 03-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Talking

I don't know the exact degree that I keep my apartment in the winter, but I know one thing- I like it nice and toasty warm! I have iron deficient anemia and while it has improved, my blood is still a bit thinner than some people's and boy do I get cold easily.

In the summer though, I like to be cool as a cucumber!

Interesting thread!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
I live with two men that can't sleep at night unless it's cold enough to hang meat. They keep it about 70 year round and 65 at night. In the office, I work with a group of women that all hit menopause at the same time, so suffice it to say the temp. in here is on a merry go round all day long LOL. They actually fight over the thermostat..... I mean it gets nasty some days!!!
Oh my gosh, I use to be in the first situation and I work in the second situation. I feel your pain! I use to spend a lot of time at my fiance's house when he roomed with 2 other men. Once their heat stopped working when it was 20 degrees out and they didn't notice for probably 12-16 hours.

I work with mostly menopausal and post menopausal women. We're not allowed to touch the thermostat and it's kept at about 66 degrees. I drink about 4 cups of hot tea a day and have a work blanket. Other women not at that point in their lives yet either use hot water bottles, fingerless gloves, lounge socks and slippers, and there are even about 3 space heaters women have brought in from home.

Personally, I'm always cold (It's not a weight loss thing) and my fiance has lost 160lbs so he's always cold now too. We keep our temperature between 69-72. We roast during the summer though, no AC and no windows suitable size to put a window unit in.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #15  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

I'm the girl who wears sweaters in the summer. I am always cold...and it's only getting worse as I lose weight.

I keep the furnace set at 66 degrees because if it's any higher the air gets really dry and stuffy. But I wear layers - CuddlDuds, fleecy pants, wool sweater, wool sox, fingerless gloves. And I sleep with an electric blanket plus three other blankets.

I am so looking forward to summer so I can finally be somewhat comfortable again. (90 degrees? Yes, please!) I hate going anywhere with air conditioning because it is always set to Arctic Chill.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote