Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/274/165

Height: 5"3'

Default Feeling really anxious about P.E. class on Friday :(

Hi everyone!

I'm studying at university to become a primary school teacher, and this semester I have to take a "P.E. Curriculum Studies" class. Basically where we learn how to teach Health and P.E.

I've heard from other students that the class is really "hands on" - lots of running, physical activity, athletics and stuff like that. I haven't done P.E. since 9th grade... over 6 years ago! I've only JUST started my healthy living journey... so I'm still extreeeemely unfit. Like, EXTREMELY!

We also have to wear gym clothes to the 3 hour classes. I normally just wear tights and a t shirt when I work out at home, but there's no way I'd feel comfortable wearing that in public! No idea what I'm going to wear :/

I'm feeling really anxious and depressed about it. Does anyone else have any experiences like this? I know I'm going to feel like the huge elephant in the room when we discuss obesity and healthy eating in the Health component of the course... and the inevitable embarrassment during the P.E. component is going to make it so much worse!
aprildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Darn, I feel for ya! No similar experiences here, but I hear you. Maybe a shopping trip is in order so you can at least feel semi good about what you're wearing, but gym clothes are never great. Just remember that you HAVE started a healthier lifestyle and therefore don't need to feel ashamed. You are tackling your issues head on and not everyone in your class can say that. They all have issues, the only difference is other people can see yours. And you're working on it! My mother always says, "Stay calm, be brave, wait for the signs." wait and see. You might meet someone in a similar boat. Whatever happens, you'll deal with it but you can't do much until you see where you're at. It doesn't sound good, granted, but it may not be as bad as you think. It may even help you with your fitness goals. I know, I know, could be terrible but all you can do is take it as it comes. Hopefully the professor will realize that people are at different stages and not demand a marathon out of everyone.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

No experience, but as fluffy said, I feel your pain. You probably aren't the only overweight person who has ever been in this class, but still it has to be pretty anxiety provoking. I wish you the best.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hi there,

This is what **I** would do in your situation, and I realize it's not for everyone. At the beginning of the class, I would address the elephant myself by telling the group something like: "I wanted to let you guys know that I'm feeling a little stressed out about this unit and that I've just begun a weight-loss and fitness program. Anyway, I hope you all feel free to bring up any issues you'd like in this class, including the health risks of obesity." I believe that talking about elephants can shrink their size.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote