Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #1  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Scale fluctuations... What is my "real" weight? :(

Hi all,

Hopefully someone who's been here too can help. I've had silly amounts of fluctuations in my weight recently, and would like opinions on whether I'm getting "false" high or low readings. I weigh first thing when I get up, the usual. Take several readings and choose the one where the needle keeps returning to zero (I'll shell out for a better scale when I have the £££s). Thing is, I can always get SOME kind of sensible reading out of it, and I don't think this upwards trend is a scale problem.

About the graph, the up-down 201-202 for a week before the big drop was TOM. The 196 was a beautiful day I don't know what the random spike in the middle is. I did just TWO DAYS of strength training when it went back down, that was about a week ago, and overall I gained 5lbs and am now hovering at 200-201. I've been eating at a deficit every day. Mostly protein, fat, whole carbs inc veg. I NEVER drink straight water but I do drink a lot of unsweetened tea. I don't put salt on anything, checked my sodium intake and it's low, and I have the occasional sugar "binge" but it never knocks me over my calories.

Where am I at? What am I doing wrong? Will I ever lose any more weight, or am I done? Help, this is making me so miserable

the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Scale fluctuations are perfectly normal. Actually, I don't know anyone who doesn't have them.

What creates the fluctuations? First, the scale isn't a perfect instrument to begin with and it can be affected by all kinds of factors. Second, if we aren't consistent in when and how we weigh, we see fluctuations. Finally, the scale really is an imperfect instrument for assessing FAT loss, because it weighs ALL of us: fat, water, muscle, bone, hair... And since most of our composition is water, much of the fluctuation is about the water we are retaining or not for a number of reasons.

So, short answer? Relax. Be consistent. You'll lose fat in the long run!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #3  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

Looks like normal fluctuation to me. As for your "true" weight, I guess that's kind of up to you. I usually just average. I was 135.8 yesterday but after a wonderful lifting session last night I'm up to 138.0. In my head I think of my weight being somewhere around 137ish.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #4  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I think that scales are also subject to the weather and humidity too. So its a combination of alot of stuff. I notice that when I weigh myself (my scale is in my Bathroom) right after I shower... well extra 2 lbs sometimes. So that happens. You are doing everything you can to get to your destination and that is the important thing. You know you are doing good and would like to see the results be what you expect (we all do I am sure and it also frustrates the Cr*p out of me when the scale goes up for NO reason). But you are doing what you need to do. It will change over time and I bet if you have measured yourself... you have lost inches and that is the best answer. When I get really angry at my scale.. I measure my waist and hips and see a difference in the tape and that settles that.

Shiv.. you are doing really well. Truly. I know you know you are doing the correct thing. Just remind yourself.

Have a great day and may it be peaceful and relaxing

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 02-21-2013 at 10:02 AM.
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Your scale fluctuations look normal to me. Hang in there, as long as the overall trend is downward you're fine.

Hugs, I know seeing any upward movement is frustrating. I'm dealing with a similar situation right now
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Looks normal. Keep going. You're only done if YOU say you're done. The scale gets no say in these matters! You're doing great!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #7  
Downloading 10% complete

Thanks guys

I feel a bit embarrased even asking that over 5 silly lbs, I think because it's the first time it's happened I needed reassurance

Still 200 today. It's stopped going up, so that's nice to see. Thanks for letting me know this is ok, it had me seriously bummed out. So...

No. I am NOT done. Far from it! *group hug*
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #8  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

No worries, Shiv. I'd be bugged out about a 5 pound frustration on the scale, as well.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #9  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Hey Shiv, you're doing great! Just keep at it, what is happening is completely normal. You know, I thought I would be storming that next thread along with you and guess what.....I'm still stuck at 204! I have been at this weight now for 2 weeks. I'm just considering it a stall right now and hoping to see a whoosh. I've been doing this a year now and this is my third "stall". So believe me when I say what you're seeing on the scale is absolutely normal. You're doing great!

Last edited by thnknthin1; 02-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #10  
Downloading 10% complete

Lunarsongbird & thnknthin... Thanks You guys have kept me going, and thanks for making this a unanimous vote that I need to just NOT QUIT
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #11  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I think regardless of calories, a sugar binge can show up on the scale. Just hang in there and it will come back off. Frustrating though, esp. when it happen right at Onederland!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #12  
Downloading 10% complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
I think regardless of calories, a sugar binge can show up on the scale. Just hang in there and it will come back off. Frustrating though, esp. when it happen right at Onederland!
I know! I'm having quite the onederland adventure

Thanks for pointing this out - I have now learned another hormonal thing which I will remember for next time:

Refined sugar overload ---> extra insulin ---> sodium retention ---> water retention.

Thankyou
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #13  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

If you choose to weigh numerous times, that is fine.

However use those along with food/life/activity tracking to track how things affect your weight.

For a weight, pick one day a week/month, same time same everything, log that one and move on.

The key is to look for LONGTERM progress!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #14  
Downloading 10% complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
If you choose to weigh numerous times, that is fine.

However use those along with food/life/activity tracking to track how things affect your weight.

For a weight, pick one day a week/month, same time same everything, log that one and move on.

The key is to look for LONGTERM progress!
I'll "move on" when I'm ready.

You know, it's almost like you're giving me permission to weigh in daily

I am posting here in the hope of getting an answer to the question of whether or not this is normal, and I'll take your answer as a yes, so thankyou
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 313/262/140?

Shiv, for what it may be worth, I have been where you are, I just didn't know it. The last few times I have made a conscious effort to lose weight, the scale would tick up for a bit, or hover, and I would think, 'well, all this work I'm doing is useless!'

Your posting here, and the other folks chiming in and saying this has happened to them too, made me realize this is normal and when it happens to me this time (as it surely will) I will remember that this is normal, and patience and perseverance are called for.

Thank you!!!
Dona Quixote 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote