Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #1  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Default An interesting article about junk food (New York Times)

A long but very interesting article about junk food. The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Forgot to mention yesterday that I read this article. It was very interesting. Crazy how you think you are buying a decently healthy snack for your kids when you purchase yoplait yogurt, or even those crazy tubes that they get once in a while and those products have as much sugar as a bowl of lucky charms anyway! It almost makes me feel a little better that I did let them pick out a box of lucky charms this week as a treat. At least they are filling the bowl up with milk and I like them to get their milk in. I really need to read the labels better. Usually get activia yogurt for them will have to check out the sugar count on that. I am of the opinion so far that I would rather them have real sugar anyway than artifical sweetners.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Fascinating:

“'So I started asking soldiers how frequently they would like to eat this or that, trying to figure out which products they would find boring,' Moskowitz said. The answers he got were inconsistent. 'They liked flavorful foods like turkey tetrazzini, but only at first; they quickly grew tired of them. On the other hand, mundane foods like white bread would never get them too excited, but they could eat lots and lots of it without feeling they’d had enough.' This contradiction is known as '-specific satiety.' In lay terms, it is the tendency for big, distinct flavors to overwhelm the brain, which responds by depressing your desire to have more. Sensory-specific satiety also became a guiding principle for the processed-food industry. The biggest hits — be they Coca-Cola or Doritos — owe their success to complex formulas that pique the taste buds enough to be alluring but don’t have a distinct, overriding single flavor that tells the brain to stop eating."

That explains a LOT for me. I haven't ever really been an over-eater when it comes to real food. But something like dinner rolls? I've never said "No thanks, I've had way too many dinner rolls." There has always been room for one more.
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

it was a long article but it was a very good read. I read this then watched the documentary "Weight of the Nation" on the obesity epidemic in the united states.
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote