Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Stopping BCP - lose or gain weight?

If anyone doesn't mind sharing, if you have stopped birth control pills in the past how did that affect your weight?

I have been on birth control pills for the better part of the past 14 years, other than when I was pregnant in 2010. I stopped them in January 2010, but got pregnant on the first cycle after them so the obvious effect on my weight was a gain.

My husband is deploying soon and I'm ditching BCP for good. We will TTC #2 when he gets back and then I plan on getting my tubes tied during a repeat c-section.

I'm curious as to what to expect when I stop taking them. I'm not totally convinced they influence weight as much as they are rumored to for most people (I know the hormones do crazy things to certain people).

Last edited by emurph; 02-10-2013 at 03:17 PM.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I didn't have any noticeable change one way or the other, but I wasn't on them as long as you.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

I was on BCP for 9 years straight, only difference is TOM gets heavier off pills whereas the BCP made TOM much lighter. Never experienced any weight issues due to the pills.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I was on BCP for 9 years straight, only difference is TOM gets heavier off pills whereas the BCP made TOM much lighter. Never experienced any weight issues due to the pills.
My exact experience!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4

My body just can't seem to handle BC in any form of medication; I FREAK OUT and turn into a crazy woman. My moods and emotions are all over the place and I get so sick to my stomach I've been known to projectile vomit from time to time. My stomach feels so queasy and the only thing that seems to help is eating.

So... crazy emotions + wacky stomach issues + insatiable appetite = Weight GAIN for this chicka.

I've given it up for good.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

I've been on Depo-Provera, Yaz, Ocela, and Loestrin FE at different times and none of them have ever affected my weight one way or another. I am sure that some women have some weight fluctuation because we all know what hormones can do to us, but I think it's a bit overblown.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

i was never on birth control until i was about 25....i didnt notice any difference between the years before and after i started birth control (the patch, whatever the name is, ortho something?) ....i stopped the patch about 3 years into taking it and became pregnant within months...i never noticed a difference after stopping it either, besides obviously becoming pregnant...after the pregnancy, i went back on a pill, cant remember what kind...never noticed a difference again either...and i'm still on a pill too
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Height: 5'5

I was on BC for 3 years... My doctor was "eager" to put me on it... she even claimed I would lose a little weight being on them. HA! What a joke... They caused me to gain about 30 lbs, turn into a crazy woman, and I developed HORRIBLE painful cystic acne. This is the whole reason I got off of them. As soon as I did, the cystic acne went away within 2 days. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I wish the weight would have come off as easily too. I just have to work my butt off now to try and reach my goal!

But I will NEVER go back on BC ever!!! It did horrible things to my body and they cause blood clots... Horrible horrible things!

Last edited by mellyymel; 02-12-2013 at 02:47 PM.
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #9  

Thanks!!

I mean, I'm just sure the reason I weighed 112 in high school was not because I swam laps every night, but because I wasn't on BCP. Right?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

BCP stopped me from losing weight. I don't think they helped me gain the weight (except for the PMS symptoms I do get when I was on them).

I got off BCP (I took Yasmin, Orthotricyclen) and I was finally able to lose weight "normally" (for someone who has PCOS anyway).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I was on BCP for 5 years - non-BCP periods are waaay lighter for me. Weight loss was easier; being on BCP was like a constant slight sugar craving 24/7.

Unfortunately I lost my perfect skin going off BCP but for me it was worth it to get my libido back and stop being WILDLY MOODY like an adolescent.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #12  
I WILL get there...again

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

It will depend in part on what type of BCP you take. The estrogen level can affect your weight, but estrogen levels can vary by BCP brand/type and some, called POPs, contain no estrogen.
bunnabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #13  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

I was on Depo the first time for 2 years and I gained about 30lbs. Had to get off because of complications went on birth control (and got pregnant with my son). After trying a few other types I had to get back on the depo and gained 20lbs.
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/213/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichoose2believe View Post
I was on Depo the first time for 2 years and I gained about 30lbs. Had to get off because of complications went on birth control (and got pregnant with my son). After trying a few other types I had to get back on the depo and gained 20lbs.
I gained 30 lbs as well!! I don't know why doctors claim that it's impossible to gain more than 1 lb on BC when it simply isn't true. 30 lbs in 3 years is just too extreme for me... Especially when I was in college at the time and eating a lot less and walking everywhere since I didn't have a car at the time. BC was the devil for me.
mellyymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I was on BCP for 5 years - non-BCP periods are waaay lighter for me. Weight loss was easier; being on BCP was like a constant slight sugar craving 24/7.

Unfortunately I lost my perfect skin going off BCP but for me it was worth it to get my libido back and stop being WILDLY MOODY like an adolescent.
I'm a little worried about the skin issue too. I was on Accutane as a teenager. I didn't have skin issues while pregnant, so I'm hoping my face won't decide to revolt.

Yeah....the libido thing. Since my husband will be deployed I may regret my decision to stop BCP as soon as he leaves. Haha!