Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default My Fitness Pal Question

For the weight loss I want to achieve, MFP suggested 1200 calories a day. I work out 30 minutes a day and log that, and then the "calories remaining" value goes up.

My question is, do I have to eat the "calories burned" or just eat the 1200? I know that if I don't eat all the "calories remaining" it says I logged "under calories."

I have consistently been logging under my calories. Right now, at this moment, I'm at "net 798." Does the net have to equal the 1200? If it is lower, is it unhealthy?
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I never eat back the calories I burn through exercise. I aim for a 1,000-1,100 net calorie goal on the days that I exercise, and 1,400-1,500 on the days I don't.

Everyone has their own individual net calorie needs - yours may be different than mine or anyone else's. Look online for a net calorie calculator to tell you exactly how many you should be eating every day.

Last edited by McMurphy; 01-25-2013 at 08:53 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

I start with 1200 but eat my exercise calories. Before, I had figured bmr and tdee and had a higher calorie count that figured in exercise. I was at 1400 calories. So when I decided to accept MFPs goal of 1200, I decided to eat back my exercise calories.
SandyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I don't eat back my exercise calories only because my exercise routine is not strenuous. If I had a more intense routine I would probably eat back those calories.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #5  
Calorie and Carb Counter

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

If I'm feeling extra hungry one day, I'll eat back my exercise calories, but generally I don't.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3"

I eat them back if I'm feeling hungry. I also eat some protein after a workout, usually 100 calories worth in Greek yogurt or cheese. It is important to fuel your body and can prevent sore muscles by eating protein after a workout from what I've read.
Annafterolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

If MFP is telling you 1200 is what you should be eating to lose 2 pounds per week, then you should probably eat back some of your calories. Your NET of 798 is pretty low, and it looks like your burning an extra 400 calories everyday. While that seems great now, when your weight loss slows down as you get closer to your goal you may have to lower your NET even more to jumpstart it again.

But if you feel full and are not tiring then you can probably just cut back on some of your exercising or give yourself a treat every couple of days to up your calories. The important thing is that you don't feel deprived and or exhausted so that when you hit maintenance you feel comfortable with what you're eating and how active you are.

I always eat a couple of hundred calories over my limit and then try and burn them off with exercise to maintain a deficit. I do this on purpose because I'm trying to incorporate "treats" into my meal plans every once in a while (because I genuinely like them) so that the occasional misstep in this long long weightless journey doesn't send me into a nose dive. Right now it's working for me, but I'm sure as I lose weight I will have to tighten up my calorie intake.

Good luck!

Last edited by charliee; 02-09-2013 at 12:31 AM.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote