General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

Question What to do, where to shop in Los Angeles?

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend is going to a conference in LA next March and I'm tagging along. I've been there before, but this time I'm going to have more time on my hands since the boyfriend will be at the conference almost three full days.

So I thought I might just ask you guys for some advice on what to do alone and with my significant other.. He has never been outside of Europe. I'm sure there must be some people from LA on the forum or at least some of you who know their way around!

Some specific advice I would like..

* It is quite obvious that a good part of my time alone will be spent shopping. I am not at all familiar with American retail chains so do not really know where to go! I like normal things like H&M and Primark in the UK, but also slightly more expensive brands for good quality clothing. I do usually spend big money on underwear so that can be more expensive. Can anyone give me advice about good shops or chains, good shopping malls or just which part of LA to go to for shopping?

* My boyfriend has a birthday while we are there and it's a free day, so I would like to prepare something fun for us to do together. He has suggested he would like to do a movie studio tour. Which ones are good? I have been to Universal Studios and liked it because it is also a theme park, but it might not be the best option for him. I think he would mainly want to get all the technical info for the movie studio, whereas I'm happy to recognise the set from Desperate Housewives. ;-)

* ANY other attractions, districts, activities.. that we should not miss! It's such a huge city that I don't even know where to start looking for things to do.. We're happy to do a bit of walking.

Thanks for your advice! I'm so excited!

PS: this is also such a good incentive for me to lose weight, remembering that everyone in California looks like a supermodel.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

This might help you with your shopping:
http://www.downtownlawalks.com/?f=routes-shopping

Some people may recommend Victoria's Secret for underwear but I think their quality has fallen drastically in the last few years. Generally, the best brands will be found in larger department stores but if you go to the shopping district in LA, you'll probably find stores specifically for the various brands. LA is a driving city versus a walking city but again that website will give some hints/tips on various walking tours based on interests.

For tourist things, I like Venice beach and Olvera street (listed on the site above). I like walking along beach areas in general but it depends on your interests.

I never knew studios did actual tours but if you google around, you can see if some do. It isn't in my interest either so I never looked into it.

I'm more of a San Diego girl but I lived in both LA and Orange County (south of LA) for a few years. Oh and trust me, not everyone in California looks like a super model
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Where will you be staying in LA ? That will have a bearing where you will go, there are lots of places but it is a big city, I would try to concentratre on one or two areas. It has been awhile since I have been to LA so someone else can suggest better than I can.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Universal Studios has a City Walk that is great fun. There is the fashion district in Down Town LA and of course Beverly Hills shopping. You can do the Beverly Center.

Olvera Street is fun and while you are in the area you can walk to Phillipes. It is over 100 years old and has amazing french dip sandwiches. The train station is across the street and lovely in side.

You could go an hour down the 5 to Disney Land and Down Town Disney in Anaheim if you are up for " the mouse".

Last edited by dstalksalot; 12-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

I am from the East Coast but I have been to LA a few times. I am very much a tourist and I'm not ashamed to do all of the touristy things. I vacationed with my teenage son and we keep a short list of things we want to do and schedule/buy tickets in advance for those that are a definite. On my visits I have done the following

1. Viewed the Tim Burton exhibit at the LACMA. Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
2. Watched celebrities arrive and walk the red carpet at the premier of Captain America -yelled names , got autographs, shook hands-geeked out.
3. Universal Studio Tour.
4. Attended a taping of a bloopers show. Search Audience tickets on the network websites (ABC,NBC,CBS).
5. Took the TMZ bus tour -fun
6. Drove up into the hills to see the homes (saw Jennifer Aniston and her boyfriend when I let them go at a stop sign).
7. Attended a Galaxy game - saw David Beckham play.
8. Window shopping on Robertson, Rodeo Drive
9. Had Brunch and yogurt near Rodeo saw Paparazzi chasing celebrities.
10. Went to The Grove saw a taping of Extra with Mario Lopez.
11. Mulholland Drive - nice views of the San Fernando Valley.

I did miss a concert with Stevie Wonder, Janelle Monet and others. But only because my hotel was so far from the Hollywood Bowl.

There is so much to do in LA and the surrounding areas. Check the calendars to see what is going on during your stays and be sure to consider drive time in your plans.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
This might help you with your shopping:
http://www.downtownlawalks.com/?f=routes-shopping

Some people may recommend Victoria's Secret for underwear but I think their quality has fallen drastically in the last few years. Generally, the best brands will be found in larger department stores but if you go to the shopping district in LA, you'll probably find stores specifically for the various brands. LA is a driving city versus a walking city but again that website will give some hints/tips on various walking tours based on interests.

For tourist things, I like Venice beach and Olvera street (listed on the site above). I like walking along beach areas in general but it depends on your interests.
Thanks! Useful website! I didn't go to downtown LA last time, so it's a good idea to go there now for my shopping. I also loved Venice even though it's a cliché.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalksalot View Post

Olvera Street is fun and while you are in the area you can walk to Phillipes. It is over 100 years old and has amazing french dip sandwiches. The train station is across the street and lovely in side.
Thanks for the food suggestion! I'll remember to go there if I'm in the area.
I would also love to do Disneyland or a different theme park but my boyfriend is a boring that way, so my only hope of being in a rollercoaster is if we can combine it with a studio tour at Universal Studios. :-)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #8  

ImImportant - sounds like a cool trip! I have to admit wouldn't be above some celebrity spotting if I got the chance. ;-)
I didn't like Hollywood very much though. Since I've seen it and wasn't impressed that's the area I'm going to avoid this time - plenty of other things to see and do anyway!

Our hotel is on the west side, primarily close to LAX.. It's the conference hotel so not my choice, but I guess it could definitely be worse.
We have to consider renting a car but I've only had my license for a few weeks and my boyfriend will probably be too nervous to drive there as well.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

The freeways made me a bit nervous too. I only used them a few times. After we arrived at our hotel I set my GPS to avoid the highway and although it added time to our daily drive, I was less stressed.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Greetings from LA! I live on the West Side not far from LAX, so you'll be almost in my neighborhood. I second the recommendation for Venice Beach. You can rent bikes there and ride along the bike path up to Santa Monica. Or you can walk. Venice Beach is very funky and loads of "interesting people" there to watch. Santa Monica is the next town to the north, still part of LA county and surrounded by LA and close to where you are staying. Santa Monica is more upscale than Venice. The 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica has everything you are looking for in shopping. Great restaurants, a really nice new shopping mall which is at one end of the Promenade, shoppng along the Promenade which is basically a street that is closed to traffic. Movie theaters. Plus the Promenade is in very easy walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier which has old fashioned amusement park rides, a carousel, a tiny aquarium for kids, more restaurants. You can walk out on the pier and watch people fishing. Both the Promenade and the Pier have street performers, some of which are really very good (some not so good).

The beach in both Venice and Santa Monica is just beautiful. Clean white sand, surfers, etc. The water will be very cold for swimming. You will see lots of people playing beach volleyball. There are homeless people living on both beaches, but the police keep things under control and it isn't scary.

Another place with nice shops (but expensive) is Montana Avenue also in Santa Monica. It would be a long walk there from the Promenade, but there is parking on the street. I'm not good at spotting celebrities, but Montana Avenue is supposed to be a good place for that.

If you are looking for things to do in the evening check out goldstar dot com (I'm not sure if I can post a link, but that will work). There are many many little theaters on the West Side - all those available aspiring actors willing to work for beans make it possible. You can get half price tickets for about $10 each from that website. We have seen many wonderful productions if you are into that sort of thing.

If you like museums, The Getty is a must. LACMA, previously mentioned is also a gem. If you are into fossils and stuff like that the La Brea Tar Pits has a really interesting museum with the preserved bones of mastodons and sabre tooth tigers that have been pulled out of the nearby tar pits.

Do not assume the weather will be hot. The closer you are to the ocean the cooler it is. In March you may need a sweater during the day and you will definitely need a sweatshirt or heavier sweater if you go out at night.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, and I'll help you with whatever I can.
annieway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Assuming you are renting a car - drive up Mulholland Ave at night and see the Hollywood sign!!!

Shopping - I like the funky shops along Melrose, but I haven't been to LA since 2007 so who knows what's up these days.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I live in southern California, but visit the LA area mostly as a tourist.

This is an automotive museum. I enjoyed it a lot.
http://petersen.org/

I also enjoyed the LaBrea tar pits and the Third St. Promenade in Santa Monica.

Nordstroms should be a good place to buy upscale underwear.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I forgot about Third St. I lived in the OC for 12 years and only just recently went there. I enjoyed the dinosaur topieries......they also sometimes have street performers.

There is also The Grove. Southern Cali is know for their street malls and prominate art walks. You have "Third Street", Venice Beach ( sort of), The Grove in LA. In the OC you have Down Town Disney, The Block in Orange and a very large one in Irvine called " The Spectrum"...its huge. Then the hoity toity " Fashion Island".....in San Diego there is the Gas Light and Horton Plaza. ( Love the architecture). So much shopping to be had.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #14  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

You all are making me want to go back to LA! I haven't been in ages.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

dstalksalot mentioned San Diego which is a great place to visit but is about 120 miles away from LA.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote